BBQ Tips & Advice

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • Fizzog 21 May 2010 18:38:03 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We're having our first BBQ of the year at the weekend and I could do with some inspiration from the EQ collective!

To kick things off, I want to cook lots of seafood but I haven't got a clue what cooks well and what doesn't. So what seafood would people recommend and what's the best way to cook it?

Feel free share any other tips you may have too.
  • Dirtbox 21 May 2010 18:39:08 79,202 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Make a fire.

Put meat on fire.

Consume meat when it's not red anymore.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 21 May 2010 18:40:40
    For the authentic British BBQ, make sure any meat remains cold/frozen in the middle.
  • Megapocalypse 21 May 2010 18:41:03 5,515 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Make a fire.

Drink beer.

Put meat on fire.

Drink beer.

Consume meat when it's not red on the outside anymore.

Drink beer.
  • DaM 21 May 2010 18:48:06 13,529 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Get a smoker! BBQs are old hat.
  • angeltreats 21 May 2010 18:57:00 2,601 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apologies for the serious answer but if I was going to barbecue fish, I'd go for tuna. Awesome.

Also make your own burgers with some mince, breadcrumbs, beaten egg, salt & pepper. They will be far nicer than horrid shop bought burgers.
  • sport 21 May 2010 19:09:32 12,811 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone who uses a BBQ to cook burgers should be shot, then put on the BBQ.
  • DaM 21 May 2010 19:13:26 13,529 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Homemade burgers are fine. But I know what you mean, nothing more depressing than cheap burgers and sausages on a fake gas BBQ.
  • angeltreats 21 May 2010 19:16:01 2,601 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Homemade burgers are fine. But I know what you mean, nothing more depressing than cheap burgers and sausages on a fake gas BBQ.

+1

We had a bbq a few weeks ago, we bought decent sausages, I bought good quality mince and made burgers myself, and I boned some chicken thighs, coated them in fajita spices and made little kebab skewer things. It was lovely.

I'd have done seafood but no one else would have eaten it :( Next time I might do some lamb chops.
  • chopsen 21 May 2010 20:10:16 16,290 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weber-Chimney-Starter-start-barbeque/dp/B00026CU1E

....is magic.

/still can't do old style links.
  • ronuds 21 May 2010 20:23:00 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's wrong with cooking burgers on the grill? Or are we just saying cheap burgers?
  • [Slip] 21 May 2010 20:36:27 993 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A REAL bbq man has his own secret marinade and/or rub.

Stick said rub on a decent sized bit of beef, puncture beef 1 inch deep and stuff garlic clove in, repeat for how garlicy you want it.

Light briquettes (must be briquettes as they burn long enough to cook the meat) using the chimney starter (an absolute must have imo), once ready, place 1/2 of the briquettes tight against one side, the other half the other side, leaving room for a metal drip tray in the centre.

Metal tray linky - place small amount of water with some stock and gravy granules in tray, then place tray in between briquettes.

Stick thermometer in meat and place on bbq, leave for 2 hours then check temp.

Serve how you like it, and hopefully the tray will be full of delicious gravy type juices that you can use if you like (if you're the sort of philistine who has there beef > medium/rare that is)

Once you perfect this. You will be the GOD of bbq.

• Futaba 21 May 2010 20:38:46 3,538 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Birdseye 100% meat quarter pounders are a must for the burger side of things.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• [Slip] 21 May 2010 20:46:08 993 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Or.... goto the local butchers, ask for a bbq pack.. then spend the rest of the evening boring the shit out of people by going

"you wouldn't believe how much meat I just got for , look at the quality of this!"

And you'll be right.
  • ronuds 21 May 2010 21:22:46 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's in this "bbq pack"?

I'm intrigued!
  • [Slip] 21 May 2010 21:25:11 993 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Most butchers will have a bbq pack, it'll be a mixture of the meat that they have.

our local gives us a mix of sausages, steak, ribs, chicken pieces with all different selection of rubs and marinades.

You really can't beat it.. if a butcher isn't doing a bbq pack this time of year then he's missing a trick!
  • Carlo 21 May 2010 21:25:19 18,219 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    Apologies for the serious answer but if I was going to barbecue fish, I'd go for tuna. Awesome.

Also make your own burgers with some mince, breadcrumbs, beaten egg, salt & pepper. They will be far nicer than horrid shop bought burgers.
    ...and if you go to an old fashioned butcher, you can buy a streak (or steaks!) and have him mince it for you.

Then, the burger will pwn!

PSN ID: Djini

• elstoof 21 May 2010 21:34:05 8,307 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any small oily fish will be nice, mackerel, sardines etc. Either whole or filleted and butterflied open. If your feeling adventurous go for some nice big, juicy scallops.

Quite fortunately, fish will actually benefit from being slightly under done so carry on as you normally would as an Englishman at a barbeque.
  • sport 21 May 2010 21:46:10 12,811 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    angeltreats wrote:

...and if you go to an old fashioned butcher, you can buy a streak (or steaks!) and have him mince it for you.

Then, the burger will pwn!

You buy a beautiful steak........and you mince it.

• Goban 21 May 2010 21:49:49 9,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're doing fish or prawns get one of those big grill clamp things, will stop them falling apart when turning.
  • Carlo 21 May 2010 21:50:11 18,219 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not a 'beautiful steak', just a rump or something!

'Normal' Mince is a bit shit, tbh. Not suitable for gourmet hand-made burgers.

PSN ID: Djini

• Goban 21 May 2010 21:51:54 9,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Monkfish makes a good kebab.
  • Khanivor 21 May 2010 21:55:28 41,261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jerk chicken is good on the BBQ. Wrap some breasts up in tin foil with spices and fruit, mm.
  • ronuds 21 May 2010 22:01:38 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    [Slip] wrote:
    Most butchers will have a bbq pack, it'll be a mixture of the meat that they have.

our local gives us a mix of sausages, steak, ribs, chicken pieces with all different selection of rubs and marinades.

You really can't beat it.. if a butcher isn't doing a bbq pack this time of year then he's missing a trick!

/drools

:D
  • Lutzie 21 May 2010 22:04:37 952 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Make a fire.

Put meat on fire.

Consume meat when it's warm & red still.
  • iokthemonkey 21 May 2010 23:17:14 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bananas, split open, chocolate drops inside, wrap in foil, throw in fire, make jokes about robot willies, eat.

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• senso-ji 22 May 2010 18:20:12 6,042 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Make kebabs from minced lamb, breadcrumbs, grated chillies, mint/oregano/your favoured herbs and salt and pepper. Mold them onto kebab skewers and when ready serve on naan bread (heated quickly on the bbq) with greek yogurt or humous and pickled veg.

As for seafood, rub fresh cod fillets with tikka masala sauce, wrap in tin foil together with a small knob of butter and place directly in the hot coals for 1-2 hours (depending on how dry and flaky you like fish) before serving.
  • PES_Fanboy 22 May 2010 18:59:16 18,940 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    British barbecues...enough to make anyone vegetarian. I went to my first BBBQ full of hope, as back home we'd have mesquite smoked, Pepsi marinaded pork, big steaks with dry rub...

I got a charred sausage and a burger that was cooked from frozen, on a grill too hot so everything stuck, over coals that still flamed.

Still, the beer was much better, so it was only a disappointment for twenty odd minutes.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous