Is Brighton Britain's hippest city? Page 2

  • Page

    of 3 First / Last

  • MrMcStyles , Gamer Network 20 May 2010 16:57:17 56 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Matt, you know that's not true.

    Are you high?
  • Deleted user 20 May 2010 16:57:18
    Alastair wrote:
    Aberdeen is far cooler than Brighton - it's about 600 miles further north and is on the North Sea coast. It was fucking freezing when I went there!
    It's fucking roasting today. Finding it impossible to revise in the heat.
  • TechnoHippy 20 May 2010 16:57:44 14,705 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does Brighton still have the world's worst nudist beach?

    /Fond memories from a youth long past :-)

    My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

  • mcmonkeyplc 20 May 2010 16:58:05 39,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrMcStyles wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Brighton has the best burger place in the world, Grubbs. Therefore it is the best city in the world.

    Thread ends.

    IMO Burger off (just off western road, Brunswick st east or west I forget which) is better.

    Is that a new place? I've never been. I loved Grubbs as a student. ....although that was nearly 6 years ago :(

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • craigy Staff 20 May 2010 16:59:09 7,570 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrMcStyles wrote:
    craigy wrote:
    Matt, you know that's not true.

    Are you high?

    Are you? Honestly!
  • localnotail 20 May 2010 17:00:13 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I bet you are all high.

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • localnotail 20 May 2010 17:00:31 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    'cos that would be so Brighton

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • Load_2.0 20 May 2010 17:00:55 19,116 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maybe you both are?

    Someone get Rupert. The server room is awash with ganja!
  • MrMcStyles , Gamer Network 20 May 2010 17:02:26 56 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is that a new place? I've never been. I loved Grubbs as a student. ....although that was nearly 6 years ago :(

    It's been around for a while, used to be somewhere over Portland Road way. It's home to the worlds hottest burger according to the staff, I'm pretty sure that there are videos on youtube of people attempting to eat it.
  • localnotail 20 May 2010 17:02:34 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I bet they could all go for some White Castle Burgers right now.

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • mcmonkeyplc 20 May 2010 17:02:47 39,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ruperts either high or gone to Grubbs cause he's got the munchies.

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • mcmonkeyplc 20 May 2010 17:03:41 39,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrMcStyles wrote:

    Is that a new place? I've never been. I loved Grubbs as a student. ....although that was nearly 6 years ago :(

    It's been around for a while, used to be somewhere over Portland Road way. It's home to the worlds hottest burger according to the staff, I'm pretty sure that there are videos on youtube of people attempting to eat it.
    Right then! That sounds like a challenge. Next time I'm down there I'll be having some of that!

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • warlockuk 20 May 2010 17:04:12 19,142 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Isn't it also the Gay capital of England?

    I'm a grumpy bastard.

  • mcmonkeyplc 20 May 2010 17:05:58 39,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    MrMcStyles wrote:

    Is that a new place? I've never been. I loved Grubbs as a student. ....although that was nearly 6 years ago :(

    It's been around for a while, used to be somewhere over Portland Road way. It's home to the worlds hottest burger according to the staff, I'm pretty sure that there are videos on youtube of people attempting to eat it.

    Right then! That sounds like a challenge. Next time I'm down there I'll be having some of that!


    Craigy there's a bug here!

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • localnotail 20 May 2010 17:06:31 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Isn't it also the Gay capital of England?

    OK, OK who had the end of page two? I'm paying out all bets on the end of page two.

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • mingster 20 May 2010 17:06:54 3,270 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    MrMcStyles wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Brighton has the best burger place in the world, Grubbs. Therefore it is the best city in the world.

    Thread ends.

    IMO Burger off (just off western road, Brunswick st east or west I forget which) is better.

    Is that a new place? I've never been. I loved Grubbs as a student. ....although that was nearly 6 years ago :(

    O come on you all know Uncle Sams is the best burger place.
  • HoriZon 20 May 2010 17:09:04 13,527 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:
    Isn't it also the Gay capital of England?

    OK, OK who had the end of page two? I'm paying out all bets on the end of page two.

    Bit of a stereotype isnt it? i heard it full of hippy's though or was it hippos?

    I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

  • TechnoHippy 20 May 2010 17:09:28 14,705 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Uncle Sams is still going? Wow, some things don't change.

    My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

  • warlockuk 20 May 2010 17:09:44 19,142 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:
    Isn't it also the Gay capital of England?

    OK, OK who had the end of page two? I'm paying out all bets on the end of page two.
    Is that at 3:2, or is it the same as an insurance payout of 2:1 on the insurance bet?

    I'm surprised the pink pound wasn't mentioned sooner...

    Nice place, though, had an interesting* stag night for a mate's stag there once.



    *not that interesting.

    I'm a grumpy bastard.

  • Jeepers 20 May 2010 17:26:48 13,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I donít get Hove.

    I know quite a few Londoners who have moved out there because they canít bear how urban London is, and now commute for a total of 5 or 6 hours just for the better living conditions.

    Iíve visited them, and itís no less urban than most of zone 4 of London, let alone the surrounding places like Hertfordshire, Kent and Essex, all of which are much nearer to London.

    Seaside tho', innit.
  • presh 20 May 2010 17:32:24 1,221 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I donít get Hove.

    I know quite a few Londoners who have moved out there because they canít bear how urban London is, and now commute for a total of 5 or 6 hours just for the better living conditions.

    Iíve visited them, and itís no less urban than most of zone 4 of London, let alone the surrounding places like Hertfordshire, Kent and Essex, all of which are much nearer to London.

    I have just moved from London for exactly these reasons to Hove. Big reasons for doing this are the fact that I could actually afford to buy somewhere nice, and I can see the sea from my living room :-)

    The commute isn't that bad - actually less stressful than crossing London on the tube each day...

    I've always liked it round here, it's like london lite. Could never live in the conventional commuter belt places like Guildford or Farnborough - yuck.

    And Grubbs is OK - I'm about a 2 minute walk from the one on Western Rd ;-)

    Pizzas in the Wick Inn a couple of doors down are my current fave dinner tho!
  • FWB 20 May 2010 17:36:53 44,100 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    otto wrote:
    and only 29,300 of them are dayglo TEFLbrats

    Yep. Loads of EFL students down there. Is Brighton Uni a hub for foreign non-English speaking students?
  • mrpon 20 May 2010 17:55:04 28,717 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Chris Eubank, former boxer

    "I love Brighton because there is a natural phenomenon that attracts artistic souls to its pebble beach shores. Artistic souls are referred to as eccentrics, and they call me Lord of the Manor of Brighton!"


    That's so Brighton!
    He actually said that? I can't believe it, he actually pronounced the word "phenomenon"?

    Give yourself £5 or Ĺ gig, you're worth it.

  • kinky_mong 20 May 2010 17:55:25 10,107 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was all ready to come to that article's defense because I love Brighton but then i saw who wrote it. Why do the Guardian still employ that utter bellend Petridis?!

    I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

  • Hypercube 20 May 2010 17:57:36 976 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I dunno about cool, but it has the best pub food I've ever had. And believe me, I've tried pub food all over this great land of ours!

    p.s. It also has some fucking shite pub food. In all things, there is a balance.
  • simplerotation 20 May 2010 17:58:25 332 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    MrMcStyles wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Brighton has the best burger place in the world, Grubbs. Therefore it is the best city in the world.

    Thread ends.

    IMO Burger off (just off western road, Brunswick st east or west I forget which) is better.

    Is that a new place? I've never been. I loved Grubbs as a student. ....although that was nearly 6 years ago :(

    Oh my god, I used to live at the end of Lansdowne place, right round the corner from Burger off, and it was my go to place when drunkenly needing some comfort food, their burgers are amazingly good/greasy, my DB tried the XXX burger once and it was hilarious watching him eat it. It's much better than Grubbs.

    That's such a funny flashback as I've been living in London for a couple of years now.
  • kalel 20 May 2010 18:02:36 86,812 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    presh wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I donít get Hove.

    I know quite a few Londoners who have moved out there because they canít bear how urban London is, and now commute for a total of 5 or 6 hours just for the better living conditions.

    Iíve visited them, and itís no less urban than most of zone 4 of London, let alone the surrounding places like Hertfordshire, Kent and Essex, all of which are much nearer to London.

    I have just moved from London for exactly these reasons to Hove. Big reasons for doing this are the fact that I could actually afford to buy somewhere nice, and I can see the sea from my living room :-)

    Fair enough, I can't argue with that. You probably do get a lot more for your money, and living near the sea is nice.

    The commute isn't that bad - actually less stressful than crossing London on the tube each day...

    That I'm far from convinced of. On a good day maybe, but the further you commute, the more potential there is for a nightmare, especially if you're using the overground - leaves on the track etc. Wait till it snows, then we'll see how relaxing your commute is.

    Again though, fair play on the price/sea points. I can see the appeal there.
  • Page

    of 3 First / Last

Log in or register to reply