of 112 First / Last

• elephantjuice 10 Jun 2013 14:11:01 669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks, much appreciated!
  • papalazarou 10 Jun 2013 18:51:00 66 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having never owned one before, I took the plunge yesterday and got a new 500gb PS3 with GT5 and Tomb Raider. The cost was 199 but I had 110 on a game card so just under 100 quid.

Already had a Vita ps+ subscription so have been filling the drive with a crazy amount of games, so far:

Ico
    SOTC
    Infamous 2
    LBP 2
    Motorstorm resistance
    Amalur
    Demons souls
    Lord of the Rings War in the North

Looking forward to UC3, Xcom and LBP Karting on Wednesday!
  • chessboxer 10 Jun 2013 22:33:54 250 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    Is the Motorstorm game any good? Been resisting that one so far...
    Yes it is. I didn't like the demo so didn't buy the game when it launched but I'm glad I got to play it thanks to PS+.
  • kentmonkey 10 Jun 2013 23:49:47 20,696 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Two quick questions:

1) I've never claimed that '30 days free PS+' from when PSN got hacked. How do I claim that (I've had a trial, just not the month free. Can't remember how you claimed it and I'm hoping it wasn't an email as I've lost it otherwise).

2) If I change my HDD, does it 'count' as another download. e.g. for most games you get a five license download, if I change the HDD and go to download it again, is that another license, or will it see it as the same machine?

reason I ask about 1) is I want to increase the HDD size, but three of my save games (Valkyria Chronicles, Demons Souls and Sonic Racing Transformed) are locked to the PS3 it seems, and therefore can't be copied to a USB stick. And I don't have plus (due to terrible download speeds) therefore just getting the free month would sort me out.
  • kentmonkey 10 Jun 2013 23:51:39 20,696 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think I've just found out the answer to 1) (it looks like it timed out after 30 days of the 'Welcome back' offer). Balls. Fucksticks, and balls.
  • ashleyriot 11 Jun 2013 07:43:19 23 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @kentmonkey A couple of offers from good members of the forum for a month's trial could be of use?

Edit: Of course, with the use already of a trial, this won't be possible.

Edited by ashleyriot at 09:01:20 11-06-2013
  • Spectral 11 Jun 2013 07:45:29 4,991 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Its not five downloads. Its also not the same as it used to be. It used to be five activated PS3's, it is now two. You can download games as many times as you like, however you can only have two PS3's activated at any one time. I don't think changing the HDD should effect the activation as I don't think it uses the HDD to identify the PS3. However to be sure you could deactivate the PS3 in your account settings, change HDD's and then activate it again.

Edited by Spectral at 07:46:59 11-06-2013
  • X201 11 Jun 2013 08:57:57 15,490 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Two quick questions:

1) I've never claimed that '30 days free PS+' from when PSN got hacked. How do I claim that (I've had a trial, just not the month free. Can't remember how you claimed it and I'm hoping it wasn't an email as I've lost it otherwise).

2) If I change my HDD, does it 'count' as another download. e.g. for most games you get a five license download, if I change the HDD and go to download it again, is that another license, or will it see it as the same machine?

1) I think there may have been a time limit on claiming it. Also I don't think you can have two trials.

2) The number of downloads aren't counted, only the number of consoles on your account. No need to deactivate consoles. Just backup (if you want/need to), swap drive, and restore data. A few PS+ games can act up when you start them after drive changes (They'll say you haven't got a license) just make sure you're connected to the net and re-boot them.
  • kentmonkey 11 Jun 2013 21:45:56 20,696 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cool, thanks.

It appears that neither Valkyria Chronicles, Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing or Ni No Kuni can be copied to a USB device, so I'm assuming that I'll have to subscribe to PS+ for three months in order to cloud them and then redownload them?

I'm assuming they can all be cloud saved/transferred?
  • Spectral 11 Jun 2013 21:59:43 4,991 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My Ni no Kuni saves upload to the cloud ok. Not tried restoring but I cant imagine they wont work or it wouldn't allow the upload. If you have a big enough USB drive you could just use the backup option that dumps the whole drive rather than copying specific saves. Obviously it takes longer but I'm pretty sure it copies saves you can't do manually.
  • X201 11 Jun 2013 22:01:50 15,490 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kentmonkey

And sync your trophies before you swap the drive.
  • kentmonkey 11 Jun 2013 22:02:40 20,696 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    eh? Really? I can back up the HDD and everything on it? I've borrowed a back up USB hard drive. My only concern would be doing that, putting in the new hdd...and the save games hadn't copied.

This is probably a stupid question, but then why change a habit of a lifetime...if that was the case, could I just stick the 60gb I've got now back in and it would work like nothing had changed?
  • Zomoniac 11 Jun 2013 22:10:37 7,831 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When you first plug a drive in then the PS3 will wipe it. If you plug your 60 back in after changing it then it will get formatted. When you do a system backup/restore to USB to upgrade your HDD it dumps a disc image rather than individually readable files, so even protected saves that can't ordinarily be copied to USB storage are preserved.
  • Ranger_Ryu 11 Jun 2013 22:11:37 1,066 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @kentmonkey

you can download it to PS Cloud but for some reason you can't redownload it for 24 hours. (I think) but it does copy cause I've put copy protected saves on it.

Edited by Ranger_Ryu at 22:12:05 11-06-2013
  • Spectral 11 Jun 2013 22:12:15 4,991 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    When you first plug a drive in then the PS3 will wipe it. If you plug your 60 back in after changing it then it will get formatted. When you do a system backup/restore to USB to upgrade your HDD it dumps a disc image rather than individually readable files, so even protected saves that can't ordinarily be copied to USB storage are preserved.
    It wipes it if you put it in a new PS3, not so sure it does if you put it back in the same one. I wouldn't swear to it though.
  • X201 11 Jun 2013 22:13:29 15,490 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep you can swap drives willy nilly according to google

Provided its into the original console

Edited by X201 at 22:15:41 11-06-2013
  • kentmonkey 11 Jun 2013 22:15:37 20,696 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    FUCKING WOOOOOTWOOTWOOTWOOTWOOOOOOOOOT

/runs around with pants on head

That's made my night.
  • kentmonkey 11 Jun 2013 22:18:25 20,696 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just to be clear, and to calm myself somewhat, I plug in an external USB HDD and choose back up. It then backs the drive up.

I then take out the HDD in the PS3, and plug in the new one - the PS3 formats the new drive.

I then plug back in the external USB HDD and choose 'restore' and everything gets transferred back over?

It seems almost too good to be true. Like a console manufacturer thought of usability and it's clients. Surely this can't be the case!!!
  • X201 11 Jun 2013 22:23:23 15,490 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It takes bloody ages.

External drives needs to be formatted to FAT32
  • EMarkM 11 Jun 2013 22:38:11 3,174 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    chessboxer wrote:
    EMarkM wrote:
    Is the Motorstorm game any good? Been resisting that one so far...
    Yes it is. I didn't like the demo so didn't buy the game when it launched but I'm glad I got to play it thanks to PS+.
    Thanks. Will grab it :)
  • kentmonkey 11 Jun 2013 22:43:35 20,696 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    It takes bloody ages.

External drives needs to be formatted to FAT32
    I don't know what that is but don't care. I assume it can be formatted back again afterwards if need be.
  • varsas 12 Jun 2013 11:21:31 2,403 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Just to be clear, and to calm myself somewhat, I plug in an external USB HDD and choose back up. It then backs the drive up.

I then take out the HDD in the PS3, and plug in the new one - the PS3 formats the new drive.

I then plug back in the external USB HDD and choose 'restore' and everything gets transferred back over?

It seems almost too good to be true. Like a console manufacturer thought of usability and it's clients. Surely this can't be the case!!!
    You need to install the latest firmware before restoring via USB.
  • Stuz359 12 Jun 2013 13:53:08 16 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you search for them, XCOM and LBP Karting are now up for free download for PS+, nothing on Uncharted 3 yet but I already own that so not too bothered.
  • elephantjuice 12 Jun 2013 15:02:39 669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Uncharted 3 is showing up as 11.1GB on the PSN web store, not 43GB which was mentioned on the previous page.
  • Humperfunk 12 Jun 2013 15:03:36 2,249 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hmmmm, The Last of Us should arrive tomorrow.....but XCOM is available now....might start playing it anyway.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• MontyBrewster 12 Jun 2013 16:08:24 253 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elephantjuice wrote:
    Uncharted 3 is showing up as 11.1GB on the PSN web store, not 43GB which was mentioned on the previous page.
    Yeah, that's just the single player file. In the description it says it won't work without the shitty F2P multiplyer (separate) download.

On top of that there's a huge wedge of movie & language files after the initial install, not sure how many of those are mandatory. I've not got the space to even try.
  • X201 12 Jun 2013 16:18:15 15,490 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stuz359 wrote:
    If you search for them, XCOM and LBP Karting are now up for free download for PS+, nothing on Uncharted 3 yet but I already own that so not too bothered.
    They're now in the Instant Game Collection area
  • Trafford 12 Jun 2013 16:24:05 5,792 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Might have to buy the X-Com dlc I got with the pc pre order.
    I miss not giving my troops cool armour tints.
  • elephantjuice 12 Jun 2013 16:38:33 669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MontyBrewster wrote:
    elephantjuice wrote:
    Yeah, that's just the single player file. In the description it says it won't work without the shitty F2P multiplyer (separate) download.

On top of that there's a huge wedge of movie & language files after the initial install, not sure how many of those are mandatory. I've not got the space to even try.
    Ugh, well that's a bit balls. What's the point in them being separate if they're mandatory?

I only got my PS3 yesterday and although it's a nice piece of kit, the ludicrously slow installation times and subsequent downloading + installation of updates really doesn't seem very well thought out. Hopefully this will be markedly improved on the PS4.
  • elephantjuice 12 Jun 2013 16:40:35 669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    On a separate note, @danathjo kindly provided me with x2 PS+ trial codes and I've only used one so now have a spare. If anyone's interested send a PM my way.
  • Page

of 112 First / Last