Playstation Plus - Added subscription service Page 43

• Page

of 123 First / Last

• Short-Round 1 Dec 2012 17:09:54 1,181 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Daddy-Doom-Bar

As another new PS3 owner (1 week), I can't tell you how much more 'value for money' this thing feels with a PS+ subscription, coming from the 360. I never got gold, as I don't do online multiplayer (the only selling point I could see), so you'll see when you get your PS3 online how much MS are shafting people with daft "offers" like 10p on your Birthday.

The 30 quid PS+ offers have disappeared, so I found the next cheapest, about 34 from the ebay outlet of thegamecollection. I wouldn't begrudge paying 39.99 though. A tip though, I've gone nuts grabbing everything free, but downloads are slower than 360, so be prepared to leave your PS3 on overnight.

And also, Sony don't offer an online version of PSN like MS do with Live, so unfortunately you can't buy stuff on your computer, it all has to be done through your PS3. From reading up, it seems this was a measure taken by Sony against the PSN hacking thing.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 1 Dec 2012 17:19:48 2,459 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Short-Round Getting shafted was the main reason I've switched. Sick of paying for Live and not getting anything but online MP, which I don't use that much nowadays.
    Will miss Minecraft, though. So will the boys. They're on it now as I've told them to make the most of it, the 360 is being posted on Monday...

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• elvenscroll 1 Dec 2012 17:24:38 1,463 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Could always get minecraft pocket? Assuming you have Android/iPhone?

Xbox Live/PSN - Chipworm

• gammonbanter 1 Dec 2012 17:28:24 1,520 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Enjoying music unlimited, fantastic stuff! Over the moon about the games coming in Christmas.
  • Short-Round 1 Dec 2012 17:32:27 1,181 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    @Short-Round Getting shafted was the main reason I've switched. Sick of paying for Live and not getting anything but online MP, which I don't use that much nowadays.
    Will miss Minecraft, though. So will the boys. They're on it now as I've told them to make the most of it, the 360 is being posted on Monday...
    Oh, and get your PSN+ sub card quick, and stock up on PSN credit, so you'll have them in time for when your PS3 arrives. The Christmas deals will be starting, and if they're anything like these regular offers (just got the complete GTA IV Collection on PSN for about 12), you won't want to miss out.
  • Psychotext 1 Dec 2012 17:39:40 55,051 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's funny, now I hardly play any games I can actually see PS+ making far more sense to me than when I was a hardcore gamer. Back in those days I had all the games and there was no point in going for PS+ because invariably I'd have already bought the stuff they were offering.

Now though, there's a pretty good chance that when the deals / free games come around I don't have them, so subscribing when something good shows up makes sense.
  • Ranger_Ryu 1 Dec 2012 17:55:45 1,090 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've defaintely been pleased since I signed up to PS Plus.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 1 Dec 2012 19:37:38 2,459 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    elvenscroll wrote:
    I do have that on the Transformer, but it's a bit limited. Will have to get the PC version...bye bye social life.

Just to confirm before I buy a 30 day trial for Plus (till I get the cash for a years sub) does the PS3 come with a trial or not?

Edited by Daddy-Doom-Bar at 19:43:34 01-12-2012

• andy25801 1 Dec 2012 19:46:43 79 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @jonsaan Yeh they do. Its usually half in the evening.
  • jonsaan 1 Dec 2012 19:51:56 25,440 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @andy25801 hi. what does what at half in the evening

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 1 December 2012 20:10:34
    @Short-Round

The downloads being slower (after the first 100MB) is actually a bit misleading.

It is more often than not (for me) caused by something in the hypervisor for wireless/bluetooth that goes wrong. As used to happen, coming out of OtherOS linux mode. It can be fixed, either by turning the ps3 off and powering down completely at the wall plug for 10secs. Or by quickly disabling the internet connection on the PS3 XMB, and re-enabling it.

The wifi is also a source of flakey download speed at times, and power lan adapters seem to be the best solution to all PS3 networking stability issues.
  • elvenscroll 1 Dec 2012 21:32:08 1,463 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    elvenscroll wrote:
    I do have that on the Transformer, but it's a bit limited. Will have to get the PC version...bye bye social life.

Just to confirm before I buy a 30 day trial for Plus (till I get the cash for a years sub) does the PS3 come with a trial or not?
    It's been updated recently, has creepers and furnaces in now.

I think I have a 30 free code for ps + somewhere. I'll have a look and pm you.

EDIT. Yeah, have one from PS Access. PM'd it to you.

Edited by elvenscroll at 21:40:25 01-12-2012

Edited by elvenscroll at 08:33:46 02-12-2012

Xbox Live/PSN - Chipworm

• Short-Round 1 Dec 2012 21:34:59 1,181 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Daddy-Doom-Bar

Mine didn't come with a PS+ trial (or even much of a traditional manual for that matter). It's a new 320GB previous style slim, bought last weekend.

@vizzini

Got the PS3 wired to the modem, as is the 360. The PS3 seems noticeably slower at grabbing stuff. A minor quibble when everything else about it is impressing me though.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 1 Dec 2012 21:57:40 2,459 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @elvenscroll You're a star! Cheers.

• Gambit1977 1 Dec 2012 22:01:40 10,384 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I guess folks new to PS+ don't know you can actually schedule your ps3 to come on overnight and download updates (automatically if they're games you've played recently), demos, full games etc.

It's under the system menu.
  • elvenscroll 1 Dec 2012 22:11:04 1,463 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    @elvenscroll You're a star! Cheers.
    No problem chap.

Xbox Live/PSN - Chipworm

• Deleted user 1 December 2012 23:18:14
    @Short-round

The hypervisor issue can also mess up the whole network stack. If you get slow speeds try a full power cycle on the ps3 (and maybe the router), just to clear down any stale network handles, stack problems or memory leaks.

I found itt can be the difference between a 500KB/sec download speed and 3MB/sec over wifi/powerlan on my virgin 60Mbit/sec connection.
  • monkman76 3 Dec 2012 15:48:33 5,419 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Presumably if I get the one year's Music Unlimited offer but cancel my PS Plus sub after 3 months, it won't cancel MU?
  • DodgyPast 3 Dec 2012 19:02:35 8,541 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Presumably if I get the one year's Music Unlimited offer but cancel my PS Plus sub after 3 months, it won't cancel MU?
    Anything you buy using PSN+ discounts is kept after the subscription ends.
  • Rens11 4 Dec 2012 14:27:55 1,465 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hoping that Journey will be in PS+ soon can't justify 12 for a 2 hour game even if it is GOTY material

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• kosigan 4 Dec 2012 21:09:20 482 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rens11 - I think it's 9.99. It may be only 2 hours long, but there's replay value in it. I was unsure but took the chance and didn't regret it.
  • Short-Round 5 Dec 2012 00:51:24 1,181 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How comes Tokyo Jungle says it's 4.67 for plus members (which I am) in the 12 days of xmas ad, but when you try and checkout it still shows 5.19?
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 5 Dec 2012 08:48:15 2,459 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ffs!!!! Got my 12gb ps3...ordered a 500gb hdd from ebay and paid for next day delivery on friday. Its still not here so the only thing i've been able to play so far is the Dust beta!!!!!!!!!!
    Ordered some games via amazon prime on monday - tracking says they were on the van yesterday at 6am. Guess what, no games yesterday. Annoys me that those bloody van drivers don't have to deliver if they think they'll not have time to get back to finish their shift on time. In my job, if i don't finish ontime tuff fucking shit. I have to keep going till i am.
    Rant over. Sorry.
    Good job i got all week off. Everything should turn up today.

Not getting used to not using the triggers for shooters. Being an xbox player for years, i think the 360 controller is so much better. But i'll get used to it.

However, the ps3 xmb is brilliantly simple compared to the xbox. No ads shoved in your face. The whole thing feels very sophisticated and grown up. Loving the fact you can have it turn on at whatever time you want and download updates etc. Brilliant idea.
    The games on the store are fuckin expensive. The new ones at least. There are however stupidly cheap deals, plus is worth every penny and the layout is much better than the xbox.
    I've yet to see the graphical quality of an exclusive ps3 game yet, which is something i'm both looking forward to and dreading as if it doesn't live up to my expectations i fear i'll be disappointed. The dust beta doesn't count as it's an online fps.

Overall i'm very impressed with my purchase. Not regretting selling my beloved xbox yet.

Yet.

• RunningMan 5 Dec 2012 08:54:13 2,451 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Daddy-Doom-Bar, these make a real difference to the ps3 controller, worth picking up.
  • Mr-Brett 5 Dec 2012 09:04:28 12,897 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DDB You jumped ship to PS3? welcome to the world of progress bars ;)

XMB is better than the 360 dash, I didn't used to think so but the changes to the dashboard have only gotten worse and worse. Would be nice to be able to organise games though, the long-ass list doesn't seem the best way of doing that.

I'm just about to try out PS+, I've been weary of the renting games approach but given the current deal it seems well worth a go.

Edit: also you can get 30 days from the facebook page, I figure I'll add that then purchase the 7.99 deal.

Edited by Mr-Brett at 09:07:22 05-12-2012

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• kentmonkey 5 Dec 2012 09:06:45 20,934 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Mr-Brett Can't you organise by doing something like pressing triangle on the games list and choosing one of the different available lists?
  • Mr-Brett 5 Dec 2012 09:08:13 12,897 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can set it to sort by platform but mine are all PS3 games, no PSP or Vita ones so it just puts it all in one folder.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Daddy-Doom-Bar 5 Dec 2012 09:12:16 2,459 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Mr-Brett Yup. Been meaning to get a ps3 for years but just had the cash. So i decided to just jump ship.

My tag is Daddy-Doom-Bar (unsurprisingly) for anyone who wants to add me.

Btw, what the fuck is Playstation Home all about? Just couldnt figure out if it was just one big ad fest or a place for 13 year oldtwats to type abuse at each other. Not hat i saw any of that, but it all seems a bit pointless. Unless i'm missing something vital.

• kentmonkey 5 Dec 2012 09:13:23 20,934 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, I thought you could select different filing options, such as genre, date downloaded, last played, alphabetical, etc. etc. It's been a long time since I tried though.
  • elhozzo 5 Dec 2012 09:13:27 352 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Mr-Brett Thats months trial on Facebook for PLus - anyone know if it lets people currently with a Plus subscription add a month ?
  • Page

of 123 First / Last