Playstation Plus - Added subscription service Page 5

• Page

of 123 First / Last

• KayJay 16 Jun 2010 14:51:00 5,290 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quick question?
    If you decide there’s nothing on the Store you want, do your Monthly Downloads build-up, so you can use them for a later time?

Posted on 16 June, 2010 at 11:38 am by James Thorpe
    hi, the list of content changes each month so there will hopefully be plenty of games, etc that you like. The monthly downloads won’t build.

It kinda sounds like there will be a lits of game from which you can select the 4 you want so it seems like there will be some choice.
  • KayJay 16 Jun 2010 14:53:24 5,290 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "There will be two Full Game Trials a month too."
    Dosent sound like a choice there but they say they will choose the "Best Of" (~one persons "best" may not be anothers... etc.)
  • Jazzy_Geoff 16 Jun 2010 14:57:05 7,782 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bah!

well ordinarily I would probably get it but with a baby on the way in July it seems a somewhat frivolous purchase all of a sudden. It's not a bad deal, but I am slightly wary of the way they seem to be urging people to sign up, sight unseen, for a full year in advance. If they were really confident you'd think they might offer a monthly sub model.
  • HiddenAway 16 Jun 2010 15:01:41 14,996 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just something in addition to what we know already:

Special - EU Playstation Plus Blog Summary

* Pricing: €14.99 / £11.99 for 90 days and €49.99 / £39.99 for a whole year

* Australian pricing: 1 year membership: 69.95, 90 days: 20.95

* Anything bought with the exclusive discounts, many of the exclusive extras/add-ons, premium avatars/dynamic themes and LBP are yours to own for good. Games you get within the service are available to you as long as you're a member.

* Playstation Plus is available from 29th June 2010 in most EU regions (only Turkey and Russia miss out for now)

* More updates will be added (duh!)

* Those with LBP on disc will be pleased to know that saves transfer across from the disc version to the downloadable version of LBP PS3

* The free LBP PS3 download is a free gift for subscribers of the 1 year subscription between 29th June and 3rd August 2010

* Games you purchase after full game trial are also yours to keep regardless of whether you are a member or not

* Firmware 3.40 will add the Playstation Plus stuff - coming soon

* If you stop subscribing but then start again at a later date, you regain access to the games you had when you last subscribed

* The downloadable version of LBP PS3 will be of a much smaller size than a Blu-Ray ;-)

* LBP PS3 is a European exclusive offer. US subscribers get 15 months for the price of 12 for early adoption

* All current payment methods used on the Playstation Store is valid for purchasing Playstation Plus

* Content lists for the monthly content will be available on the Playstation website

* If the master account on multiple account PS3's has Playstation Plus, all of the accounts on that console will have access to the Playstation Plus content

* Normal store discounts will continue, but obviously members will get better and exclusive offers as well

* Full game trials are Trial and Unlock versions (i.e. you download the full game, try for an hour and then if you want to buy it, you can simply purchase the license). Games bought this way are yours to keep

* The PS3 needs to be in standby mode for the automatic download feature

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• jonsaan 16 Jun 2010 15:02:21 25,440 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The bizarre thing about this is that those of us who have supported the store for a long time own an awful lot of content already. I can't see the free stuff having anything I don't already have or simply don't want for an awfully long time.

FCUTA!

• HiddenAway 16 Jun 2010 15:02:58 14,996 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lol sorry kj. That list was in progress as you were typing stuff up!

• Jazzy_Geoff 16 Jun 2010 15:06:50 7,782 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think I will forgo the free game and see how this pans out before committing.
  • Psiloc 16 Jun 2010 15:09:17 1,650 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fröd wrote:
    jonsaan wrote:
    The bizarre thing about this is that those of us who have supported the store for a long time own an awful lot of content already. I can't see the free stuff having anything I don't already have or simply don't want for an awfully long time.

You seem to be continually surprised that early adopters get shafted.
    People who bought a PS3 up to four years into it's life are early adopters?
  • KayJay 16 Jun 2010 15:12:13 5,290 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:
    lol sorry kj. That list was in progress as you were typing stuff up!
    No no, the effort you made far out weighs my crappy copy, paste & bold effort ;-)

I heart HA. :-)
  • KayJay 16 Jun 2010 15:14:19 5,290 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:

That is a worry. It will be interesting to see what the list of available content is.

I noticed a reply on the blog comments saying there would be a list of the available content for the first 2 months of + on the blog in the next couple of days so keep your eyes open.
  • Psiloc 16 Jun 2010 15:15:42 1,650 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fröd wrote:
    what?

/Notices helmet and odd shoes

Nothing... sorry mate...

/Leaves, avoiding eye contact
  • BAM! 16 Jun 2010 15:18:04 38 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So they're going to start distributing retail PS3 games via PSN.
  • KayJay 16 Jun 2010 15:23:10 5,290 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Reading the blog I got the impression that Infamous 2 was going to be a PSN download option and it seems the free gift PS3 LBP will be available too.
    Although havent there been a few already. GT5p, WarHawk, Wipeout... Cant think of any more. Oh yes I can, Siren. erm...
  • mingster 16 Jun 2010 15:34:13 3,303 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The main question is what do you lose from normal PSN if you don't sign up.
    If the answer is nothing at all then this is fine.
  • HiddenAway 16 Jun 2010 15:35:56 14,996 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mingster wrote:
    The main question is what do you lose from normal PSN if you don't sign up.
    If the answer is nothing at all then this is fine.

Nothing.

You're open to them putting new functionality within PSN+ and not for normal PSN users though :p

• KayJay 16 Jun 2010 15:39:00 5,290 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It looks like "nothing" isthe answer.

They cant possibly ignore the profits MS must be turning with Live, But it seems they have found a decent bit of middle ground.
    We get a great free service but perhaps its a little unsustainable and they need to pull some money in.
    I think this is a good way to do it without troubling those that are more than happy with the service as it is now.
  • jonsaan 16 Jun 2010 15:42:23 25,440 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And all demos etc. When they first come out obviously.

FCUTA!

• RyanDS 16 Jun 2010 15:50:11 9,834 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    And all demos etc. When they first come out obviously.
    Not that we ever know anyway!

Give us a bloody demo tab Sony!!! *shakes fist*
  • ronuds 16 Jun 2010 15:52:33 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wouldn't you lose early demo access if you don't have this paid-for PSN?
  • GeezaTap 16 Jun 2010 16:08:17 288 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If 'all current methods' are accepted, then I can get a couple of £20 cards from The Hut etc to make it 12 months for £32-odd quid aye?

Or just trade-in some old stuff at HMV and buy PSN cards?

Yeah ok, count me in.
  • HiddenAway 16 Jun 2010 16:09:21 14,996 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GeezaTap wrote:
    If 'all current methods' are accepted, then I can get a couple of £20 cards from The Hut etc to make it 12 months for £32-odd quid aye?

Or just trade-in some old stuff at HMV and buy PSN cards?

Yeah ok, count me in.

Bingo.

• JaysonG 16 Jun 2010 16:17:54 828 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm gonna get it. If you pay for XBL why wouldn't you sign up for this? Especially considering I want but don't yet have LBP.
  • HiddenAway 16 Jun 2010 16:20:13 14,996 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JaysonG wrote:
    I'm gonna get it. If you pay for XBL why wouldn't you sign up for this? Especially considering I want but don't yet have LBP.

In which case, LBP covers about half the subscription before you even start :p

• steoc4 16 Jun 2010 23:22:18 1,665 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I find the concept interesting, but already have everything it offers that I'd have been interested in. And don't fancy signing up for a subscription and just hoping that whatever freebies they happen to give out in future are to my liking.

If you don't have LBP or many PSN games already though it seems like excellent value.
  • Deleted user 17 June 2010 00:00:56
    this sounds interesting, there are 4 games available during january - you download all 4, 3 are crap but 1 is joe danger. as you paid for a 12 month subscription you keep joe danger and continue to play it january to december. in february 4 more games are available, once again you can pick/choose as you please and continue to play them whilst being a plus member.

this is how i see the service working.

what i don't understand though is, the free avatars and premium themes - do you get to keep these indefinitely or will they cease to work once your subscription ends?

finally, will you need to be constantly connected to psn to access your downloaded full games/demo/trial etc?
  • Deleted user 17 June 2010 00:18:37
    They should let subscribers download anything on the store, kind of like Spotify for games. Offering a fixed selection of games each month (two of them Minis) is just not that interesting.
  • HiddenAway 17 Jun 2010 01:13:29 14,996 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    byakuya83 wrote:
    this sounds interesting, there are 4 games available during january - you download all 4, 3 are crap but 1 is joe danger. as you paid for a 12 month subscription you keep joe danger and continue to play it january to december. in february 4 more games are available, once again you can pick/choose as you please and continue to play them whilst being a plus member.

this is how i see the service working.

what i don't understand though is, the free avatars and premium themes - do you get to keep these indefinitely or will they cease to work once your subscription ends?

finally, will you need to be constantly connected to psn to access your downloaded full games/demo/trial etc?

From my understanding of all the comments from the blog is that the avatars and dynamic themes are yours to keep regardless of whether you continue to be a member or not. The only things you would lose if you don't renew are PSN+ exclusive features and the free games you get each month. If you trial one of the games (with a 1 hour time out) and then purchase it after the trial, that is also yours to keep regardless of your membership status.

• young_money 17 Jun 2010 02:31:02 203 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Scirvir wrote:
    young_money wrote:
    just downloaded FF9 from the North American Store, no problems. infact i'm playing it now. people really do invent some daft rumours.
    I can't buy from the US store any more. My virtual Visa which worked fine on there a couple of months ago doesn't work now. Not sure what's caused that, because nothing's changed in terms of the card or details.

ah, i use PSN cards. still proves there is no IP lock on downloads though. so somebody made that up. if there was i wouldn't have been able to D/L FF9 yesterday. i also downloaded an avatar for 49cents before realising i couldn't use it on my normal UK which was annoying.
  • Page

of 123 First / Last