New Judge Dredd movie - in 3D! Page 15

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2013 01:00:56 7,264 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wow, I wish I saw the same movie that other people here did...
  • Wacko_AK 8 Feb 2013 22:14:06 183 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Absolutely superb, I wish now that I had watched this in the cinema. I was put off by the "3D" in the title and the previous Stallone incarnation.

Karl Urban nails it as Dredd, that chin is worthy of an oscar.

Great supporting cast and I loved the ending.

I've just bought the OST from Amazon and now thinking about getting some of the graphic novels - I read a few as part of 2000AD when I was a teenager. Can anyone recommend where to start?

I was looking at Complete Case file v.1 - would that be a good start?.
  • FanBoysSuck 8 Feb 2013 22:22:26 1,480 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted

For the emperor!

• Kostabi 8 Feb 2013 22:24:14 4,912 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Volume 5 is probably a better place to start as the character and world of Dredd is a lot more refined by that point and likely a lot more entertaining for folks just wanting a good story.
  • Wacko_AK 8 Feb 2013 22:28:31 183 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Volume 5 is probably a better place to start as the character and world of Dredd is a lot more refined by that point and likely a lot more entertaining for folks just wanting a good story.
    Thanks, I'll give that a go.
  • Trane 11 Feb 2013 16:10:47 4,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Watched it on BD Friday night, enjoyed it almost as much as in the cinema. I just love a gritty action flick, and this was really well executed.

I pray for a sequel and hopefully a better reception, it's a travesty how poorly this film has done - hopefully they learn and support the 2D screenings more strongly.
  • Vortex808 18 Feb 2013 12:17:03 7,086 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Watching this now. It's absolutely fantastic. Definitely my favourite comics derived film.

I sincerely hope it gets a sequel.

:)
  • mikew1985 18 Feb 2013 12:33:29 12,672 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really enjoyed it too, mindless fun.

I wish they had used the slow o effect a little bit more, it was bloody amazing looking in 3D.
  • L_Franko Moderator 18 Feb 2013 12:43:08 9,694 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wish I had gone to see this in the cinema but I was still more than pleased with it on my telly at home. Great film.
  • ecureuil 18 Feb 2013 12:48:26 76,738 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How was the 3D in this? I've heard good things about it. Did they only use it for the slowmo scenes?
  • Deckard1 18 Feb 2013 12:54:09 27,773 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well its all in 3D, but the slow mo scenes are where it really stands out. It looks great.

Hush you ponce

• kickerconspiracy 18 Feb 2013 12:56:48 495 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's the only film I've ever seen where the 3d actually adds anything. It's used really, really well.
  • Vortex808 18 Feb 2013 12:58:43 7,086 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really wish I'd seen that in the cinema now.

Slow-mo scenes were great. And would have really benefitted from being seen on the big screen.

Glad I bought it, since I would happily watch it a few more times. There's not many films I feel that way about these days.

The Chopper graffiti in the block put a smile on my chops too. :)
  • riceNpea 18 Feb 2013 12:59:02 592 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    i haven't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned already...

for those who've seen both which would you say was you preferred (leaving aside any fanboyism) between Dredd and The Raid.

i'm torn between the two
  • beastmaster 18 Feb 2013 13:23:35 11,338 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    riceNpea wrote:
    (leaving aside any fanboyism)
    That is very difficult to do for me though. I'd go for Dredd. Even though The Raid was more visceral overall, Dredd had better rounded characters and a superb soundtrack.

Such a shame it was such a BO bomb though. There may still be a sequel but I get the impression from what I've read, they won't tone it down.

Edited by beastmaster at 13:24:51 18-02-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Bremenacht 19 Feb 2013 22:42:52 17,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What beautiful violence.

Stylish, inventive, perfectly paced and characterised. Dunno why it's constantly compared to The Raid; aside from being almost entirely set within a tower block, it's a quite different kettle of fish.

I can understand the disquiet about the box office now. It's an utterly unamerican film though, as it doesn't tick many US box office boxes. If it had, it wouldn't be such a good film.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2013 03:18:53 7,264 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Both are action films, both have a similar plot and setting, both want to entertain in roughly the same way. Yeah, Dredd has a larger universe to take advantage of, but imo they're not so different that they can't be compared to one another.

As someone who has not read any Dredd comics... for characterisation, Dredd wins. Which is not to say that I thought it was that good... more that The Raid has barely any at all. It's pretty much violence from start to finish. Any characterization at all sort of wins by default there. But I don't know the comics, so maybe I just don't appreciate it as much.

But as far as action goes, and as an action film with set-pieces and choreography and such... The Raid wins. It's not even close. People actually got up and cheered at various points when I saw it.

Maybe Dredd would do better with a bigger budget, but as it was I found it underwhelming. Sorry, but I did. Like I said, I wish I saw the same movie that people here saw!
  • Jmek 20 Feb 2013 07:11:16 1,322 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wacko_AK wrote:
    Thanks, I'll give that a go.
    Drokk, please don't listen to him! Start with the demented genius that is volume 2 featuring the twin awesomeness of the "Cursed Earth" & "The Day The Law Died". If you start with volume five you're missing most of the best stories.
  • Tonka 20 Feb 2013 07:39:04 20,245 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Which one is it when they have a Chief Judge Goldfish?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Scimarad 20 Feb 2013 07:56:04 8,537 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's in volume 2 with Judge Cal. I never really read Judge Dredd as I was more into Nemesis so I was really surprised to find these stories are nothing like I was expecting. They're actually a lot of fun rather than being all grim and dystopian.

No only have you got Judge Fish, there's Judge Schmaltz (who's a drama queen who always gets the last word), Judge Grampus (an alien, don't ask!) and that Judge who pissed off Cal and spent the rest of the story wearing his underpants and a Judge helmet:)
  • Tonka 20 Feb 2013 09:28:49 20,245 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hahah, now I remember. Wasn't there a Judge who had to wear an apron too?

As much as I liked the film I was a bit surprised by the dark tone. The Judge Dread I remembered was all about belly wheels and goldfish.

• Whizzo 20 Feb 2013 09:37:20 43,096 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dredd has always been about the contrasts, serious one moment, potentially completely ridiculous the next. One of the first victims at the start of the film is a fattie with his belly wheel beside him.

This space left intentionally blank.

• millerlfc 20 Feb 2013 10:15:58 370 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Saw this the other week and really liked it. Would have seen it ages ago but not stocked on DVD by HMV, online by Zavvi/theHut and not available through streaming/rental services. My only option was Amazon and I generally don't like using them for stuff like this.

Had to wait until it was available from Virgin Media, but worth the wait. Crazy that it was so hard to get hold of though (legally anyway).
  • fletch7100 20 Feb 2013 10:24:11 7,240 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Really enjoyed how they handled the end baddie face off

Loved the part when Dredd just says "Yeah" then walks off

Plus the images when they are reflecting off his visor
  • Dolly 28 Feb 2013 00:27:47 3,223 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just did a 2000AD-related sex wee;

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61187

Been wanting to see a movie of this for 20 years! Somebody please kill Jason Statham before they make the casting call though!!
  • Tonka 28 Feb 2013 06:31:06 20,245 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nicolas Winding-Refn
    Gladiators

hmm...

will be gory

• Deckard1 28 Feb 2013 07:47:36 27,773 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is that..... is that Brian Dennehy?

Hush you ponce

• spamdangled 4 Mar 2013 23:43:50 27,276 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just watched this again, this time with the lodger.

His verdict?

"It's a 4/10 for me. Nowhere near as good as the one they did with Sylvester Stallone"

I didn't even know what to say to that one...

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:44:39 04-03-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Trane 5 Mar 2013 00:04:33 4,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kick him out onto the street, I don't really see any other option.
  • beastmaster 5 Mar 2013 00:21:24 11,338 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Judge him for his crimes!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Page

of 17 First / Last