New Judge Dredd movie - in 3D! Page 14

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• Deleted user 24 January 2013 08:47:39
    I was disappointed by the general lack of super advanced hi tech shit, too.

But then I realised it must be taken as an origin story, at least for Anderson. Mega City 1 looked under developed and low tech (and low level - very few cool sky scrapers, very spaced apart) Bikes and body armour were all dialled right back.

Overall, thought it was a great part one. Would love to see a big budget part two. Proper bikes, a bit of bloc war, and proper shiny gold eagles on shoulders.
  • Scimarad 24 Jan 2013 09:21:40 8,567 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I started off thinking it looked nothing like Dredd from the concept art but was very pleasantly surprised with how well it worked in the film. The more grounded, realistic world was one of my favourite things about it.

Edited by Scimarad at 13:15:32 24-01-2013
  • nickthegun 24 Jan 2013 09:29:25 60,508 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bdaggers wrote:
    Mega City 1 looked under developed and low tech (and low level - very few cool sky scrapers, very spaced apart)
    Apparently they did a few pre-viz renders with the blocks as you would expect but they found it really difficult to get a sense of scale with them all sat together, they just looked like normal, if run down, apartment blocks. They found it easier to make these city sized blocks look city sized when they were sat next to normal scale buildings, so it was a conscious decision to have them sticking out like sore thumbs.

And they needed the audience to appreciate how big the buildings were for the story to work.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:30:29 24-01-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• brokenkey 24 Jan 2013 09:32:43 7,090 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

And they needed the audience to appreciate how big the buildings were for the story to work.
    But he only visited 3 floors.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Scimarad 24 Jan 2013 13:22:09 8,567 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That would be where the suspension of disbelief comes in; You know they only had a few locations for budgetary reason but you certainly got a sense of how big the block was, especially in the shots of the centre space. More to the point, it was big but it wasn't big enough to make it seem ridiculous.

Considering their limitations, I thought they did an excellent job. I loved the Stallone Dredd version of Mega City 1 at the time, but I prefer this version now because it feels more believable.
  • Youthist 24 Jan 2013 13:26:03 10,028 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got a question about when he gets shot through the wall, and Dredd then says "Wait". Then the bird shoots the guy in the back after a pause.

Did Dredd know that she was coming? Or was he just playing for time to not get killed? I saw it when I was laid up with the flu, so this might account for me not really fully grasping the details there.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• El_MUERkO 24 Jan 2013 13:30:02 17,076 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    I got a question about when he gets shot through the wall, and Dredd then says "Wait". Then the bird shoots the guy in the back after a pause.

Did Dredd know that she was coming? Or was he just playing for time to not get killed? I saw it when I was laid up with the flu, so this might account for me not really fully grasping the details there.
    He knew she was there and was stalling to let her get a shot off.
  • Youthist 24 Jan 2013 13:31:17 10,028 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    She took her sweet time if that is the case!

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Ultrasoundwave 24 Jan 2013 13:34:21 3,339 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AICN reporting (or rather, hoping) that Dredd would get a sequel from Blu- Ray sales due to its poo box office.

I wouldnt mind seeing a sequel actually.........

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Mola_Ram 24 Jan 2013 13:40:15 7,714 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'd watch a sequel, even though I was a bit "meh" about this one.
  • L_Franko Moderator 24 Jan 2013 14:19:00 9,694 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd jump at the chance to see a sequel.
    Probably going to watch Dredd again tonight or somewhen over the weekend.
  • Deleted user 24 January 2013 14:36:10
    nickthegun wrote:
    bdaggers wrote:
    Mega City 1 looked under developed and low tech (and low level - very few cool sky scrapers, very spaced apart)
    Apparently they did a few pre-viz renders with the blocks as you would expect .....
    Thanks for that, I hadn't heard that they had tried. I think the first minute of so of the Stallone film is the best bit, with the short fly through (over ?) of the city.
  • ecu 25 Jan 2013 18:06:53 77,034 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They're auctioning off all the props from the film.

This is the kind of stuff you tend to keep if you're thinking of making a sequel.
  • beastmaster 25 Jan 2013 18:43:47 11,619 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Usually they get torn apart or destroyed. Don't think this is anything new.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• FWB 25 Jan 2013 18:49:35 44,850 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Given the budget I'm not surprised at the limited tech on display, but quite frankly that meant they had to focus more on other areas. The first Dredd was the opposite. Special effects but awful, awful film.

Would love a sequel building on this but with more of a budget. Don't need all of the gadgets as long as it keeps the same tone.

Not met a person who hasn't loved it.
  • wogsy81 25 Jan 2013 18:57:43 748 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yup, put me down in the "bloody hell this film is brilliant" camp.

Watched it last week and am just about to watch it again after reading your guys comments has got me in the mood. I wish i had a 3DTV though as i imagine them slo-mo scenes being amazing.

I really do hope it gets a sequel.
  • disusedgenius 25 Jan 2013 21:27:53 5,431 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    This is the kind of stuff you tend to keep if you're thinking of making a sequel.
    Nah, if anything it's the opposite. They can always make these things again (I mean, these companies do it for a living) if there's a sequel, then just make it again and sell it for the £££. They wouldn't even be doing the sales if it wasn't popular enough to make it worth their while.

Kinda the same as the LOTR stuff: yeah, they hand made all the chainmail but they sold it all for an absolute bomb afterwards.
  • El_MUERkO 25 Jan 2013 22:27:32 17,076 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I loved it. Really disappointed it wont get another film :(
  • Yautja_Warrior 25 Jan 2013 22:58:20 2 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @El_MUERkO It's selling really well on DVD and Blu-ray so there is hope for another film :)

Lionsgate announced today that the home entertainment release of DREDD claimed the number one spot on the DVD and Blu-ray charts with 650,000 units sold, making it the best-selling new release of the year. Blu-ray units accounted for nearly 50% of week 1 POS at retail. In addition, the critically acclaimed thriller, starring Karl Urban as the titular character Judge Dredd , was the top film download for the week, outpacing all other titles in digital sales as well
    Edited by Yautja_Warrior at 22:58:37 25-01-2013
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 1 Feb 2013 21:38:58 38,726 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Soooooooo...

Bit bloody good this then.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• crashVoodoo 2 Feb 2013 17:27:02 3,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Expectations were 50/50 but I absolutely loved this shit out of it.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• CharlieStCloud 2 Feb 2013 18:09:02 5,288 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am not a fan of things being done to the throat, especially in horror/slasher films, but holy-moley ...

... I reached for my own neck when Dredd punched the guys windpipe in.

*whimpers*

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 18:20:03 02-02-2013
  • Feanor 2 Feb 2013 20:04:30 14,180 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had never heard of the lady judge before seeing Dredd, but she was very good. I assume they used a body double for the imaginary rape scenes.
  • Gruff 2 Feb 2013 20:46:19 2,911 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    I had never heard of the lady judge before seeing Dredd, but she was very good. I assume they used a body double for the imaginary rape scenes.
    That didn't sound creepy at all, nope, not even a little bit...

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• sport 3 Feb 2013 19:06:36 12,775 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Knew nothing about it and when the opening scene (chase) started, I thought "Hang on, this looks familiar".

Had a look where it's filmed and, yup, shot in Cape Town and Joburg - those kwela-kwelas were unmistakable :-D
  • PrivateFloyd 3 Feb 2013 20:19:18 4,182 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    Feanor wrote:
    That didn't sound creepy at all, nope, not even a little bit...
    Proper LOL'd at this. Proper. LOL'd.

Goat is hungry.....

• Feanor 3 Feb 2013 20:57:16 14,180 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just meant that looking at her career on Wikipedia made it seem she would be too classy to think getting her tits out for a movie like Dredd would be a good idea.
  • D_arkTrooper 3 Feb 2013 21:07:17 1,321 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just finished watching it. Enjoyed it a lot.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• PrivateFloyd 4 Feb 2013 00:19:48 4,182 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Feanor

Goat is hungry.....

• PrivateFloyd 4 Feb 2013 00:20:49 4,182 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In all fairness when I watched it I was pretty sure it actually wasn't her in the scenes you are referring to.

Goat is hungry.....

• Page

of 17 First / Last