360 Pad on PC not working..... :(

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • peterfll 11 May 2010 21:42:58 488 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OK, so I gets my new PC and its the first time I've actually owned one with superior graphical power than my consoles. So I think, OK I'll dip my toe in the murky waters of PC gaming. I have a 360 and PS3, and are really comfortable with the controllers (never was a keyboard\mouse gamer). So thinking the 360 controllers are the best bet with a PC I try and connect any one of my three 360 controllers to the PC (running 64 bit Window 7) using the plug and play kit.

It doesn't work.

So I do a bit of research which suggests I need the wireless 360 kit for PC. I Google and see I can pick one up for 12 so I do that, and tonight try again... with no fucking luck.

So, basically what seems to be happening is, the controllers will not pair with the PC. I try to sync the two, by pressing the sync buttons on both the 12 MS wireless adaptor and the controller itself. What happens is, the wireless adaptor stops flashing as if its found the controller, the guide button on the controller stops the search mode (the guide lights rotate around in a ring) and then the whole guide button just continues to flash (all guide light flashing together). And that's it. The top left guide light quadrant is supposed to remain lit to show a connection - just like it does when the 360 identifies it as controller 1. Except this doesn't happen and the whole guide lights just keeps flashing. Windows doesn't pick up the controllers (at all) if I connect them using the plug & play kit either...

I've tried the MS web site and the guide that came with the wireless installation disc and I've got nowt help and no further. Some more Google research suggests that OLD 360 controllers have a old firmware not compatible with PC's. My controllers are 2005\2008 year of manufacture. I've tried both and they don't work.

Apologies for the length of post but I feel like I've just chucked 12 in the bin unless I'm missing something really obvious?
  • Spectral 11 May 2010 21:45:51 5,009 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Press to sync them up then restart the pc. Turn off the pad while it restarts(unclip/reclip batteries). When the PC is back on turn the pad on and hopefully it'll be properly synced. After pressing the sync buttons my PC can never see the pad until it has been restarted. All the plug and charge kits do is supply power, the wouldn't aid/hinder the connection.
  • Khab 11 May 2010 21:46:39 6,576 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Try it on a different PC to figure out if it's yer machine or the adapter that's faulty?
  • Deleted user 11 May 2010 21:47:22
    If it's an official one you'll get your money back no bother. Bit of a bummer it's not worked though.
  • heyyo 11 May 2010 21:50:00 14,372 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Use the superior inputs!
  • the_dudefather 11 May 2010 21:54:08 9,328 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    manually download and install the drivers

had this issue a few days ago

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Res 11 May 2010 21:54:47 1,814 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can tell you that you'll never get the controller working just using the plug and play kit as it doesn't carry data, but you've probably already discovered this. I have never used the wireless adaptor before, so I can't really help there, but it should work in exactly the same fashion as syncing up a controller to the 360 (press the sync button on the adaptor, then the controller).

I'd recommend picking up a wired 360 controller personally. That is what I use, and I have never had an issue with it.

You can manually download drivers from here.
  • Deleted user 11 May 2010 21:58:38
    I'm using a wireless pad and have not had any issues at all. I didn't even have to sync it or whatever. Perhaps it would have been better to buy the one branded for windows that comes with the wireless thingy so you don't have to mess about syncing the thing.
  • peterfll 11 May 2010 22:05:35 488 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I appreciate the feedback so far, but to respond to a few points:

- I've restarted the PC and had no luck.
    - I've already downloaded the "correct" (well the Windows 7 64 bit) drivers from the MS site.
    - The Wireless adaptor is an official MS wireless adaptor, not some cheap Chinese imitation...

And all this done before my original posting, and still no luck. I don't have another PC so can't try another machine... (do you think would work on the Mac?!).
  • Gland 11 May 2010 22:15:54 78,481 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Plug it into a different USB socket, the one it's in might not have the required 4.6v that a main one has.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• peterfll 11 May 2010 22:50:46 488 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tried that too, both front and back (oo-er) USBs no luck.

One possible issue... just noticed that Windows is not recognising the wireless dongle. It shows it as an unknown device in device manager. I've tried troubleshooting but Windows fails to recognise the device, I still get a "the drivers for this device are not installed" message. It's definitely the wireless dongle Windows is picking up (it appears and disappears as unknown device when plugging it and unplugging it).. Repeated uninstall and reinstalls of the drivers are not getting me further forward. So at this point I'm thinking that perhaps the wireless hardware device\dongle itself is faulty...

:-\
  • jellyhead 11 May 2010 23:06:14 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I use the MS wireless dongle and 360 pads on my Windows 7 x64 machine and i've no problems.

Mine appears as a "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows" under "Microsoft Common Controller For Windows Class" in device manager. Driver version 2.1.0.1349 dated 13th August 2009.

Unplug the wireless dongle, do a driver uninstall, reinstall the drivers then plug it back in.
    I'm stumped otherwise. the USB isn't set to legacy in the BIOS or anything like that is it?

I just press the green X thingy in the middle to turn the pad on and it connects. Do you have a 360 about that the pad might be syncing with instead? I know my 360 used to wake up and steal the pad before the PC had a look in when they were in the same room.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• roz123 11 May 2010 23:42:27 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Try disconnecting every other usb device then turning it on. This worked for me when I had the same problem. Once it finds it and connects you should be ok to plug everything else back in again.
  • peterfll 12 May 2010 07:52:29 488 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks guys. I'll give it one more go this evening. I spent 2 frigging hours trying to work it out last night and I'm about to throw the thing out the window :)

I did unsynch/unpair both controllers I tried from the 360. I'll have a go checking through device manager and disconnecting all USB devices (there's only the wireless keyboard/mouse dongle so its not that much of a hassle). Actually because that's working I'm assuming the USB isn't set to legacy.

I'll let you know how I get on, as this is more riveting than seeing a hung parliament electing a new PM unfold (which happened as I was contemplating stamping on the wireless dongle last night to see if that might work).
  • coastal 12 May 2010 08:30:48 5,386 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    While Peterfll's trying that could i briefly hijack? I've got a wireless pad too and the annoyance i have is when playing something like bf the pad will hibernate when not being used and then when i'm lucky enough to fly a helicopter I wake the pad up but it's not recognised no more. Obviously a wired pad won't have this issue but I just wanted to check if this was a common problem.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Zerobob 12 May 2010 09:07:10 1,607 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Res wrote:
    I can tell you that you'll never get the controller working just using the plug and play kit as it doesn't carry data, but you've probably already discovered this. I have never used the wireless adaptor before, so I can't really help there, but it should work in exactly the same fashion as syncing up a controller to the 360 (press the sync button on the adaptor, then the controller).

I'd recommend picking up a wired 360 controller personally. That is what I use, and I have never had an issue with it.

You can manually download drivers from here.

This.
  • roz123 12 May 2010 09:15:46 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Coastal: You could use a program like x-padder so the controller takes over the keyboard and presses the correct buttons on the keyboard via the controller when you need it. This should mean its detected as soon as its turned on.
  • bad09 12 May 2010 09:25:40 6,008 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just to add Peterfll I got launch 360 controllers that work fine with the PC adapter here so not sure that old 360 controllers not working is right info.

Sounds like your USB or the adapter itself
  • jellyhead 12 May 2010 09:32:18 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, i use a combo of old and new pads and they're fine. I am suspecting there's an issue with the hardware but i've asked a couple of mates who play BFBC2 if they use the pads and i'll get back to you when they reply.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• peterfll 12 May 2010 11:03:56 488 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep, the controller firmware "issue" didn't seem right to me. You can Google too much and find any answer you can think of if you look hard enough. Also a lot of debate about whether the plug and play kit transfers data. "NO it doesn't" "Oh yes it does!". Like panto.

I'm at work now but as said will try again this evening. Although I have to say, all this effort makes me realise why I never took to PC gaming in the first place. Poxy driver this, install that, USB bollox etc etc.
  • mrpon 12 May 2010 11:11:19 29,206 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Worth persevering peter, I have the dongle and use my wireless 360 controller on a little netbook (XP). Works a treat and currently using it on GTA Vice City, MAME, Colin McRae etc..

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 12 May 2010 11:13:07
    Try it on your mac with the tattieboogle drivers.
  • peterfll 12 May 2010 11:22:54 488 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep, I'll stick in there for a bit longer. I downloaded Bioshock and Dirt2 to do some comparison against the 360 versions I own. The new PC looks like its certainly capable of eclisping my 360 performance by some margin comparing these two titles like for like. And I really like the 360 controller. So in theory, it all looks good....

Crispy - how do you connect the controllers if you use those drivers to a Mac - wirelessly, using the same dongle?
  • Deleted user 12 May 2010 11:25:07
    Yeah I use the wireless dongle, although I don't bother anymore as OSX has native support for PS3 controllers over bluetooth.
  • munki83 12 May 2010 12:02:39 1,438 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I went old school and got a wired 360 controller for my pc. Apart from the huge amount of spare cable it makes playing dirt2 so much easier.
  • Fake_Blood 12 May 2010 12:10:16 4,296 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Try plugging the dongle in a different usb port, like if it's plugged in the front, plug it in on the back.
    It's totally unlogical but I've seen usb stuff act differently on different usb hubs in the same system. Might be a power thing.
    I have the same dongle, just played Mirror's edge with it last night, Win7 should install it without the driver cd, just plug and play.
  • mrpon 12 May 2010 12:12:25 29,206 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Which bit of this post didn't you understand?

peterfll wrote:

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Fake_Blood 12 May 2010 12:19:42 4,296 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Which bit of this post didn't you understand?

peterfll wrote:

I'm not quite awake yet it seems.
    I forgot we have dirtbox on this forum.
  • kingcrowbar 12 May 2010 12:24:56 917 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have the dongle for the wireless pads going through an external powered hub rather than a bus powered hub just to make sure it is not drawing too much current from the motherboard after reading about the trouble that people seem to have had with it. It works for me with no trouble playing GRID, GTA IV and DIRT2 on Win7 64bit.
  • peterfll 12 May 2010 19:03:50 488 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nah it's fooked. I'm pretty sure its the wireless dongle hardware itself. Windows simply will not recognise it, Device Manager gives up on it. I was able to test the dongle on another Win7 notebook and exactly the same thing happened.

So off to Amazon I go to organise a return. Its a marketplace sale, so might be interesting?

Thanks to all those with help and advice - much appreciated.

Pete
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous