The hate for iTunes thread. Page 12

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• kalel 23 Sep 2011 09:26:41 83,877 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, you could back up the DRM stuff. I still have some DRM stuff left over from the old days. You just put your password into itunes and it works.
  • Deleted user 23 September 2011 09:36:44
    You can upgrade those drm's music files through itunes.
  • mrpon 23 Sep 2011 10:08:02 27,647 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you've bought music/videos and not synced them with iTunes then if you delete them you'll get a message stating you haven't synced and will have to purchase them again.

I don't believe you can download them again via the device (like you can with apps/games) and you have to sync with iTunes for this. I've just done with with some videos I've bought and can vouch the process works (on my latest gen Touch with v4.3.2)

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 26 September 2011 13:57:59
    what's really galling is that attempting to purchase something for the second time brings up a warning that you've purchased that same thing previously - if it can do that then why can't it simply allow you to download again? seems to me they're holding functionality back to make more money.
  • Khanivor 17 Oct 2011 17:33:15 39,893 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alright, am I missing something here or is iTunes really this shit:

Home PC, work PC. Sync phone at home, no prob. Donwload couple apps at work, sync phone, wipes out phone and replaces it with the apps in library, (populated by transferring purchases). Go home, get another app, same thing, wipes out order of all my apps and insists on using PC library version. Tried again at work, same damn thing.

Is there some setting buried somewhere that tells this POS program to use the phone's library as the master one to which all PC iTunes take their orders from?
  • mrpon 17 Oct 2011 17:35:30 27,647 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can only sync to one library, it tells you this when you plug it into another PC.

• Khanivor 17 Oct 2011 17:40:00 39,893 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So it is totally fucking spasticated then?
  • THFourteen 17 Oct 2011 17:40:30 31,817 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There is a way round it, you have to edit the .xml file to put in the unique identifier or some such

I've done it before. Can't quite remember how though sorry.
  • Deleted user 17 October 2011 17:41:48
    I think you can copy stuff onto the icrap without having to sync too, though that might just be for ipods and not phones.
  • mrpon 17 Oct 2011 17:43:51 27,647 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Are you not using all this icloud chuff Khan?

• Khanivor 17 Oct 2011 17:44:32 39,893 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can copy music across manually but if you can do the same with apps it's a hidden feature. I just want to download an app I see at work an put it on my phone without it emptying every folder and spreading the apps randomly over 10 pages on my phone.

fucking ishite.
  • Khanivor 17 Oct 2011 17:52:51 39,893 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah, iTunes still shite but if I switch the setting on the phone/store to download app purchases they will get pushed to the phone.

Still means there's only one PC I can use to keep my app library in order.
  • ronuds 17 Oct 2011 18:23:28 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is there a reason why iTunes suddenly decides it doesn't recognize my iPod? If I uninstall the whole app and re-download it, it "sometimes" works then, but I can't seem to figure out how to fix it otherwise.

It'll still do the sync, but it says I have no device plugged in and therefore I can't eject the iPod either. It isn't so bad considering it still syncs, but the whole thing's a giant hassle in the first place.
  • dominalien 6 Nov 2011 09:12:53 6,742 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, Apple recently started selling music and movies (gasp!) where I live and I must say the film part of the store really is pants. Hardly anything available in HD and the prices (!!!). 14 for a new-ish film? I don't think so.

Anyone knows what the DRM on the films is?

PSN: DonOsito

• spindizzy 6 Nov 2011 09:25:11 6,400 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    byakuya83 wrote:
    what's really galling is that attempting to purchase something for the second time brings up a warning that you've purchased that same thing previously - if it can do that then why can't it simply allow you to download again? seems to me they're holding functionality back to make more money.
    Apple have responded to this in the past - they say that they would do allow you to re-download (as they do for the stuff they control, like apps) but they're not allowed to by the record companies (and BTW if they REALLY wanted to make money, they'd just skip the warning and allow you to pay again, as you would if you mistakenly bought a CD you already owned).

There is a trick though - write to Apple support. I've 3 times been allowed to redownload all of my music, and each time I've been told it was a once off, as they weren't really supposed to do this. ;-)
  • sirtacos 6 Nov 2011 10:18:35 7,205 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I bought a 25 euro iTunes gift card for myself yesterday, in order to download some X-Files episodes. I load up iTunes, redeem that shit, and excitedly enter "X-Files" into the iStore search bar.

Only to be greeted with the theme tune, and some other unrelated shit.
    Turns out the Italian version of iTunes doesn't do TV shows.

Cunts!

TBF, it's not iTunes' fault. It's the fault of the fuckers who decide that different region codes for DVDs/blurays/games and media distribution rights are a good way to fuck international consumers up the arse.

It's also my fault for not checking earlier.
  • dominalien 6 Nov 2011 10:22:01 6,742 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I don't have TV shows on iTunes either. It's really like these stupid people (talking about the media companies) don't want my money. Apple definitely wants my money, and gets a lot, too.

• Derblington 6 Nov 2011 10:27:41 20,974 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    Turns out the Italian version of iTunes doesn't do TV shows.

Cunts!

TBF, it's not iTunes' fault. It's the fault of the fuckers who decide that different region codes for DVDs/blurays/games and media distribution rights are a good way to fuck international consumers up the arse.
    Swedish is the same. Despite having an excellent internet infrastructure here, the actual ability to use it is severely limited. I now buy UK iTunes cards and keep my store set there, rather than having my Swedish credit card on file. Means I can't make spur of the moment purchases but I have far more access to everything.

edit: indeed! ;)

Edited by Derblington at 11:06:33 06-11-2011
  • dominalien 6 Nov 2011 11:00:34 6,742 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spur :-)

• CharlieStCloud 11 Nov 2011 17:31:59 4,690 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ok.

I think it is just iTunes being shit as usual but here goes.

My mate used his iPad to download music, films and TV programmes at his parents in Edinburgh a month or so ago and I casually told him about the new update (iOS 5) although he doesn't have internet at home (yes, there are some people who don't have internet!).

I brought his iPad round mine to update it but iTunes just doesn't seem to want to and this daft message of transferring his songs, etc pops up... but I can't.

Any solutions, or is iTunes just fucking shit...?
  • crashVoodoo 12 Nov 2011 22:13:50 3,821 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Its just fucking shit

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• MrTomFTW Moderator 19 Nov 2011 13:07:29 36,290 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sigh. Just wanted to sync my iPod before I left for my parents house. It told me an update for my iPod had downloaded and did I want to install? Sure I said.

Big fucking mistake. I'm sat with my back to the PC feeding my daughter and in the meantime iTunes decides to update itself at the same time, interrupting the install. I can't continue without factory restoring the iPod apparently. AGAIN - I have to restore it every time I update the fucking piece of shit. Only the restore fails and now I have a blank iPod that isn't detected by iTunes.

Fuck you Apple. Expensive, stylish products with THE MOST HATEFUL SOFTWARE I'VE EVER USED. I've never used an Apple product without hating the software. From their computers to their MP3 players, shit to the last.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 19 November 2011 13:17:47
    How does your PC feed your daughter?

I guess you've tried the hard reset of the iPod.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 19 Nov 2011 13:25:03 36,290 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, it is restoring very slowly. Supposed to be on my way out now, but noooooooo.

I totally called it.

• Deleted user 19 November 2011 15:05:17
    Every time I'm forced to use iTunes (I'm the brother/friend/guy who "knows about computers" so I get the unmitigated joy of "setting up" other peoples iPods) I genuinely wonder how the fuck Apple are successful.

It is pretty much the worst, most unwieldy piece of software I have ever encountered. You'd have a hard time deliberately designing something that was less intuitive.

Edited by spudsbuckley at 15:06:46 19-11-2011
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 19 Nov 2011 16:49:45 36,290 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love when I'm using iTunes DJ and I click on the album name. One might expect it to bring up the track listing of the album, but no! It opens a new window with iTunes DJ In it, so you have two. Genius!

I totally called it.

• Page

of 15 First / Last