The hate for iTunes thread. Page 2

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Deleted user 10 May 2010 15:11:08
    DB in

• Blerk Moderator 10 May 2010 15:11:58 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    iTunes is evil. In a previous life it was Hitler.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2010 15:13:44
    I would recommend foobar, but if you can't use iTunes I doubt you'd even be able to start foobar :D
  • kalel 10 May 2010 15:14:40 86,743 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Things like Genius do indicate that the whole thing is more and more geared around making you spend more, however, I actually really like that kind of highly targeted marketing. I’ve discovered quite a lot of music I like that I wouldn’t have otherwise thanks to Genius, and there is always the option to turn it off.

My main issue with iTunes is the way it organises and names my files, and the lack of flexibility it gives you in changing that. As someone who like Hip Hop it’s maddening as the albums tend to have a lot of guest artists on, and it files every single different “featuring” as a totally separate artist. Annoying in the extreme.

Also over the years it has caught me out with randomly switching where it’s saving too as such. You need to keep an eye on it and when you backup you really need to watch that you’ve caught everything.
  • urban 10 May 2010 15:14:56 10,938 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like little freeware apps like: everything, foobar2000, windirstat etc

I just like the way PC's are, I'm no microsoft fanboy, far from it. Ubuntu is a dream! I'm a tweaker, Mac's are too restrictive (ipad, itunes, iphones interfacing methods being a perfect example of that.

Gaming on Mac's just isn't there, steam going on mac's is a good thing but still not for me.
  • urban 10 May 2010 15:16:35 10,938 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I use foobar2000 and spotify my musical needs, Itunes hate stems from the fact i need to use it with my iphone.
  • Dirtbox 10 May 2010 15:16:58 77,633 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't you have to install something for WMP to work with flac? And even then it won't catalogue the files. It natively does all the quicktime files now, I know that much.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Chopsen 10 May 2010 15:17:20 15,830 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    My main issue with iTunes is the way it organises and names my files, and the lack of flexibility it gives you in changing that.

Yeah, I've taken to only telling it about a back-up of my files, it case it decides to fuck everything up.

edit: mind you, WMP tended to change things as well. LEAVE MY ID3 TAGS ALONE YOU BASTARD
  • President_Weasel 10 May 2010 15:18:04 9,125 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I happily use ituns to play music on my PC, set to import all my music as DRM free mp3s. Wouldn't use any of apple's music player/phone gadgets though, fuck that.
    Give me an mp3 player that lets you transfer your music back off there, rather than a deliberately gimped one that only allows one way transfer.

(also, generic "paying too much for an 'i' and pastel colour scheme" rant, and a complaint about how much it costs to get the battery replaced)
  • Kay 10 May 2010 15:20:28 17,798 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    My main issue with iTunes is the way it organises and names my files, and the lack of flexibility it gives you in changing that. As someone who like Hip Hop it’s maddening as the albums tend to have a lot of guest artists on, and it files every single different “featuring” as a totally separate artist. Annoying in the extreme.

I've always worked around this by adding all the guest artists in the actual song title (So 'song title (feat. guest artist)' etc). Is there a better workaround?
  • DFawkes 10 May 2010 15:22:29 22,753 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I quite like iTunes now, though I used to be a hater. It feels nice and intuitive with my iPod, with stuff bought from iTunes, but I appreciate anything other than that might be an arse pain.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• kalel 10 May 2010 15:23:00 86,743 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My workaround is trying not to care.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2010 15:23:08
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Don't you have to install something for WMP to work with flac? And even then it won't catalogue the files. It natively does all the quicktime files now, I know that much.
    Tag-enabler or something like that, 'tis a massive cunt. Does the same with apple lossless files too.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2010 15:25:12
    kalel wrote:
    As someone who like Hip Hop it’s maddening as the albums tend to have a lot of guest artists on, and it files every single different “featuring” as a totally separate artist. Annoying in the extreme.
    This is what the "Album Artist" tag was invented for. That way you can have an artist for the album, with individual artists tagged in each song as needed.
  • oceanmotion 10 May 2010 15:27:22 15,765 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    As someone who like Hip Hop it’s maddening as the albums tend to have a lot of guest artists on, and it files every single different “featuring” as a totally separate artist. Annoying in the extreme.
    This is what the "Album Artist" tag was invented for. That way you can have an artist for the album, with individual artists tagged in each song as needed.

Still doesn't work. I've tried loads of workarounds, that one included. iTunes is balls.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2010 15:28:44
    Works for me, are you doing it right? It's not a workaround, it's the proper way of doing it.
  • kalel 10 May 2010 15:31:14 86,743 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Even if that fixes it, why have it that way in the first place?

Sounds like a ballache to fix all my albums now...
  • Deleted user 10 May 2010 15:33:55
    Dunno, it's pretty much the standard way of doing things, t'isn't just itunes specific.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2010 15:34:58
    SOmething I dont like about iTunes is if it gets confused and loses a track's location, it will happily tell you the file is missing (handy tick beside it), but wont allow you to bulk delete missing files and when I have 9000+ missing files (it lost my library and then "found" it again), its a pita. I@m going to have to unistall it and start over which shouldnt be the case.

I also dont like the drive to get you to buy more and more and to install Safari and Mobile Me and whatever other bloatware I didnt actually want to use.
  • Chopsen 10 May 2010 15:35:58 15,830 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's just a big ploy to get me to install quicktime.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2010 15:36:39
    You should perhaps read what you're installing before you install it.

How many toolbars do you have? :D
  • UncleLou Moderator 10 May 2010 15:56:28 35,490 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Had my share of problems with iTunes - from lost albums, to lost artwork when transferring a library, etc. Works well enough most of the time and is the most convenient solution for an iPhone I guess, but it's not ideal.

Biggest problem unless the odd worse thing happens is how resource-hungry it is. Annoys me every day, really, and more so since I've seen it run on a similarly specced Mac where it flies, in comparison. Never understood why Apple aren't doing their best to make the Windows version shine, seeing how it's like their "business card" for Windows users.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2010 16:01:31
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    You should perhaps read what you're installing before you install it.

How many toolbars do you have? :D

:D I didnt actually install any of it, but do get a little sick of having to unclick "Mobile Me", "Safari", "Google Toolbar" etc etc whenever you get an update.

I've actually installed very little full stop on my PC as its primarily used for web browsing and as a media centre with the odd couple of games.
  • BadDevotions 10 May 2010 16:07:25 405 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    i dislike iTunes immensely. MediaMonkey is the only one for me - it's the only one i found which can handle 600Gb of music.

/hugs the monkey
    /spanks the monkey
  • Page

of 15 First / Last