Champions League Page 606

• Page

of 692 First / Last

• oceanmotion 20 Mar 2014 15:11:28 16,001 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chelsea were a bit different, they could actually defend like their lives depended on it. Olympiakos easily got around Man U. The better teams will take their many chances.
  • kalel 20 Mar 2014 15:13:33 88,371 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They didn't always defend that well. People's memory of the Barca game has coloured their broader memory of that season. They repeatedly got beaten by shit teams in the league.

It was a miracle that Barca didn't beat them to be honest.
  • imamazed 20 Mar 2014 15:16:50 5,784 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Chelsea were a bit different, they could actually defend like their lives depended on it.

Translation: EBLJT flung himself about a bit.
  • FromTheHalfWayLine 20 Mar 2014 15:21:44 68 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    Translation: EDLJT flung himself about a bit.
    Fixed
  • Steve_Perry 20 Mar 2014 15:30:04 4,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Going on defensive league form (I know this doesn't tell the whole story but is interesting to gimps like me):

United are a shade poorer than that Chelsea team, but their isn't much in it. They conceded 46 that season and finished 6th. United are 7th and have conceded 34 so far and are 3 points behind Everton who have a game in hand. It depends how united finish the year I guess, but I reckon they will easily concede another 12. Probably within a week.

From memory I remember that Chelsea team being very hard to beat under Di Matteo, but I've drunk a lot of whiskey since then.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• reddevil93 20 Mar 2014 16:18:35 11,862 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has to be the first time ever that every team in the last 8 has at least one world class player, that's why I don't think anyone can be ruled out.

Dortmund would be a great draw for United though, especially with Lewandowski out of the first leg.

Bayern(Ribery/Robben) and Real(Bale/Ronaldo) are absolutely terrifying prospects against Buttner in the first leg with Evra out though.

• mikew1985 20 Mar 2014 16:27:10 12,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It is interesting and we've been ok in the CL this season, Olmpiakos 1st leg aside so perhaps we can create something. Dortmund would still be a big ask for us imo.

Like you say though we've got some world class players so always in with a chance. Although according to Eamonn "RVP is past it" Dunphy on RTE2 last night we have no world class players.

For those of you who don't get to experience the joys of the RTE 2 football panel - Dunphy decried Ronaldo as rubbish and everything that's wrong with football pretty much right up until he left united. Granted there was a brief period where he had to admit he was wrong but as soon as there was a drop in form he was back on it.
  • FWB 20 Mar 2014 16:51:28 44,838 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Here's a thought... what if Utd win the CL and Spurs the Europa? If Liverpool finished 4th, would they get nothing?
  • Steve_Perry 20 Mar 2014 16:52:03 4,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fingers crossed.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• kalel 20 Mar 2014 16:53:34 88,371 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We're going into the away leg of a tie that we're already losing 3-1, and we have literally no CBs available.

I think you can forget that one.
  • imamazed 20 Mar 2014 16:55:12 5,784 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If though, If.
  • FWB 20 Mar 2014 16:56:04 44,838 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One can dream though.
  • Latin 20 Mar 2014 17:01:45 3,778 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hope we get Barca, Bayern or Real, at least we'll be knocked out by one of the great sides... No shame in that.

Next best option is to get pumped by Chelsea or PSG and use the money as an excuse.

Worst case is Atletico or Dortmund who spend much less than us but will totally outplay us.
  • Steve_Perry 20 Mar 2014 17:02:57 4,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm hoping for Chelsea - United. I always like it when English teams play each other in the CL. The papers go mental.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• FWB 20 Mar 2014 17:05:29 44,838 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chelsea/Utd, please. Ok, so Mata is tied, but Young could keep diving to win through a plethora of penalties.
  • mcmonkeyplc 20 Mar 2014 17:11:41 39,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GIVE US EVERYTHING! TAKE FROM THEM NOTHING!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• reddevil93 20 Mar 2014 17:12:25 11,862 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Latin wrote:
    I hope we get Barca, Bayern or Real, at least we'll be knocked out by one of the great sides... No shame in that.

Next best option is to get pumped by Chelsea or PSG and use the money as an excuse.

Worst case is Atletico or Dortmund who spend much less than us but will totally outplay us.
    I really don't think I'll ever understand this mentality. You'd prefer lose with dignity than have a better chance of going through? I hope we get the jammiest draw possible the whole way to the final and win with a goal off Fellaini's arse.

• Steve_Perry 20 Mar 2014 17:13:08 4,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Real Madrid would be interesting. I wonder if Ronaldo would be so reserved in celebrating. I guess he would get bored after the second hat trick and not bother anyway.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Latin 20 Mar 2014 17:15:18 3,778 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Latin wrote:

I really don't think I'll ever understand this mentality. You'd prefer lose with dignity than have a better chance of going through? I hope we get the jammiest draw possible the whole way to the final and win with a goal off Fellaini's arse.
    A 2% chance is higher than 1% chance, but still only 2%... We're getting hammered whoever we get.
  • reddevil93 20 Mar 2014 17:17:43 11,862 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So you're saying you would be genuinely happier to see Bayern pulled out of the draw than Dortmud?

I might understand this a tiny little bit if we were still in the race for fourth but as it is, that's a crazy mentality.

• mcmonkeyplc 20 Mar 2014 17:19:47 39,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did I miss something? Are Dortmund not very good anymore?

Atletico Madrid are probably the next weakest side to us and there's a giant gulf there as well.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• kalel 20 Mar 2014 17:20:57 88,371 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Athletico are better than Barca at the mo.
  • reddevil93 20 Mar 2014 17:26:08 11,862 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dortmund have been quite poor this year and have Lewendowski suspended for the first leg. If Zenit can beat them at home we have a chance.

• THFourteen 20 Mar 2014 17:26:35 33,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Latin wrote:

I actually always think the same.

We are going to get knocked out of the champions league anyway, so i'd rather we get knocked out of the champions league to barca / bayern.

Its like the FA Cup semi. I'd have preferred to play city. We are going to lose anyway, if we lose to city at least nobody lols at us.
  • reddevil93 20 Mar 2014 17:28:28 11,862 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well you're an Arsenal fan so you're expected to have a defeatist mentality.

:)

• Steve_Perry 20 Mar 2014 17:30:42 4,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Chelsea - Barca is always a good un. Imagine the petulance.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Blakester 20 Mar 2014 17:31:17 3,636 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm hoping that Utd draw Chelsea in the next round. It's a full-blooded affair over both legs with multiple sending offs and injuries to key personnel with Chelsea just about scraping through.

Chelsea meet Bayern in the next round and get thoroughly pumped.

Utd's season goes on to implode even further than anyone could have imagined and they finish 10th. Moyes keeps his job.

Liverpool go on to win the league!

My wish is just as plausible as Utd winning the champions league and Liverpool finishing 4th.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• ElNuevo9 20 Mar 2014 17:50:32 13,479 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Best we can hope for is Dortmund with the away leg first. With Lewandowski suspended and their indifferent form this season, we may have a chance.

I'd also prefer Barca at Atletico - Barca are there for the taking at the moment. They've lost 3 of the last 6 league games and are ropey at the back.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Steve_Perry 21 Mar 2014 11:13:55 4,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Barcelona v Atletico Madrid first out.

That should be a good one.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Steve_Perry 21 Mar 2014 11:15:00 4,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    PSG - Chelsea. United - Bayern looking like it's on.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Page

of 692 First / Last