Champions League Page 560

• Page

of 716 First / Last

• Tom_Servo 2 Oct 2013 21:39:38 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Sorry - Fraser Forster has had a couple of good games against Barcelona.

He's done fuck all else, really.

He plays football week in week out against very poor quality clubs, compared to Joe Hart who plays in the Premier League and has made a couple of mistakes here and there but has proven himself as a top level keeper.
    You tend to kick off about this whenever anyone mentions Forster is a very good goalie. Is it because he left Newcastle?

I've seen a reasonable amount of him for Celtic and he's an impressive goalkeeper. Getting into the England team wouldn't be unjust, and certainly not based off two games.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Oct 2013 21:40:01 11,936 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    There's a reason why Forster plays for a minnow like Celtic.
    Hilarious.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• superdelphinus 2 Oct 2013 21:41:16 8,127 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really weird from pelligrini that game - it was obvious to everyone that bayern were completely dominating through the midfield and that was the basis for pretty much everything they were doing. So he just straight swaps one if the two forwards!

Then when he does bulk up the midfield a bit suddenly they score, hit the bar and get quite a few other chances. Mad. And in between he's sitting on the bench staring at his watch. Wouldn't have a lot if confidence in him if I was a city fan!
  • imamazed 2 Oct 2013 21:45:15 5,964 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It probably pains a lot of fans, but that game was actually crying out for Jimmy Milner from the start, perhaps instead of Aguero/Nasri.
  • superdelphinus 2 Oct 2013 21:46:18 8,127 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's the only time I've ever thought he looked vaguely effective
  • Deleted user 2 October 2013 21:46:28
    Bit of British fight
  • mcmonkeyplc 2 Oct 2013 21:51:16 39,570 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That'll do I suppose.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• oceanmotion 2 Oct 2013 21:59:02 16,129 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Robben seems like a nice bloke off the field.
  • senso-ji 2 Oct 2013 22:02:04 6,045 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lol
  • mikew1985 2 Oct 2013 22:17:27 13,054 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Christ we were so boring tonight. Should have at least tried to go forward with a bit more urgency. Cleverley did nothing but pass sideward and give the ball away.

If we'd win it would have been a perfect away performance as Shaktar were not threatening for most of the game but by god was it so dull to watch.
  • oceanmotion 2 Oct 2013 22:25:20 16,129 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Surprised Shakhtar didn't give it more of a go.
  • Deleted user 2 October 2013 22:27:46
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    imamazed wrote:
    There's a reason why Forster plays for a minnow like Celtic.
    Hilarious.
    I don't see the joke.
  • oceanmotion 2 Oct 2013 22:57:35 16,129 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Syrette 2 Oct 2013 23:06:04 44,318 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    Sorry - Fraser Forster has had a couple of good games against Barcelona.

He's done fuck all else, really.

He plays football week in week out against very poor quality clubs, compared to Joe Hart who plays in the Premier League and has made a couple of mistakes here and there but has proven himself as a top level keeper.
    You tend to kick off about this whenever anyone mentions Forster is a very good goalie. Is it because he left Newcastle?

I've seen a reasonable amount of him for Celtic and he's an impressive goalkeeper. Getting into the England team wouldn't be unjust, and certainly not based off two games.
    Has nothing to do who he used to play for. If you want to play that card, I don't know of many people who saw him at reserve level who particularly rated him. I know he also did himself no favours with a poor preseason with Newcastle before he went to Celtic on loan.

I'm not saying he's a bad keeper, just one that is not as proven as Joe Hart at a consistent high level of football. That post was more one in defence of Hart than anything else, I think he's a superb keeper who has made a couple of mistakes as of late, as all keepers do from time to time.

• FWB 2 Oct 2013 23:22:17 45,652 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any Citeh injuries?
  • Punctum 3 Oct 2013 07:37:47 1,045 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Christ we were so boring tonight. Should have at least tried to go forward with a bit more urgency. Cleverley did nothing but pass sideward and give the ball away.

If we'd win it would have been a perfect away performance as Shaktar were not threatening for most of the game but by god was it so dull to watch.
    Boring and very predictable. Our play seems to have slowed down to monotonous and predictable pace recently. As you say, there seems to be very little urgency in our play and we seem to lack purpose.

Without Rooney we have no spark whatsoever and no one to take a game a lead the other players by example.

Wonder how much Everton want for Ross Barkley?
  • King_Edward 3 Oct 2013 07:50:23 11,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't see why someone like Forster shouldn't be given a shot for England. He's parrying week in week out for a champions league club. That's more than England's current back up keepers can claim. Even if Hart's performances are just poor form, you still need back-up.
  • THFourteen 3 Oct 2013 08:07:04 34,483 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its easy to look like a good keeper when you have to save shot after shot because it keeps your concentration up.

The problem is when you play for a top team, you have very little to do all game, so its hard to concentrate.

Almunia is a great case in point - he was fantastic in a number of games when we were under the cosh - CL at old trafford and Barca come to mind - but the moment he had nothign to do he would totally switch off and do something stupid.
  • Dougs 3 Oct 2013 08:14:43 69,542 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good point well made imo
  • FWB 3 Oct 2013 08:18:54 45,652 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shame Neville Southall isn't English. Could do a Scholes.
  • superdelphinus 3 Oct 2013 08:26:45 8,127 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Any Citeh injuries?
    Aguero a bit I think
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 10:16:28
    england goalie already comes from a small club

wouldn't be a stretch to recruit from a ~minnow~
  • mcmonkeyplc 3 Oct 2013 10:39:17 39,570 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What Man Utd game were the Independent watching?!

If only I had rose tinted glasses like them.

It was an ok draw. Nothing to celebrate.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• convz 3 Oct 2013 15:07:20 382 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shakhtar are a very good (and under-rated team) - a point at their place isn't bad at all.
  • askew 3 Oct 2013 15:12:11 12,753 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They won the Europa only a few seasons back.
  • mikew1985 3 Oct 2013 15:32:23 13,054 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I agree the point is a good result and I was reluctantly thinking it was an almost perfect away performance up until Shaktar scored. Even at that the result is respectable but we really could have easily won the game with a little more composure and creativity.

Both Fellaini and Cleverley gave the ball away a lot in strange positions and we had nobody to feed RVP (*cough* PLAY KAGAWA FFS *cough*).

I don't particularly agree Rooney gives us the necessary spark either. He's in good form at present but he's not got the subtlety we actually need to break down some of the defences.

I'd rather see him on the left, Kagawa through the middle but alas.

Overall though it's a decent result and I'm more concerned with building some good form in the PL at this stage.
  • THFourteen 3 Oct 2013 16:13:14 34,483 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kagawa is shite.
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Oct 2013 16:18:56 14,446 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kagawa The Messiah.
  • ElNuevo9 3 Oct 2013 16:21:58 13,607 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kagawa is a bloody good footballer but for some reason, some United fans think he's the solution to ending world poverty. Said it in the United group - he's shown glimpses of what he's capable of but as yet, he's yet to consistently produce any sort of form where you justify starting every game.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• mikew1985 3 Oct 2013 17:28:01 13,054 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nah thats not the case (some of us thinking he's the solution to all of our problems), but he is just the kind of player we're clearly crying out for but he's not been given a chance.

He's certainly done as much as most of any of the rest of our attacking midfield options to deserve a game this season.

I don't think he's beyond reproach but I don't think he's getting a fair shake. You could say it's being overblown but he's a fantastic footballer and thats the reason a lot of United fans want to see him play; not because he's definitely the answer to all of our prayers but he's certainly got more ability and creativity than some of the other numpties.

I don't want to overstate his importance or anything but equally I think you're understating our need for someone like him up there by deflecting calls for him to start and labelling some fans as "crazies".

Edited by mikew1985 at 17:34:53 03-10-2013
  • Page

of 716 First / Last