Champions League Page 510

• Page

of 716 First / Last

• kentmonkey 13 Mar 2013 21:38:32 20,939 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Brilliant defensive performance, but what an awful midfield performance.

Ramsey and Rosicky were wasteful and Arteta for 85 minutes was dire and for the last five minutes was an absolute clusterfuck.

Pleased to see Flappy have a decent, and confident, game.

Good result, we made one of the top three sides in Europe waste time and surely, surely, surely that's got to be a springboard...hasn't it?
  • NotSoSlim 13 Mar 2013 21:39:12 3,149 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thing is Arsenal with better player get to quarters imo
  • Blotto 13 Mar 2013 21:39:28 2,777 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gutted. Ref was a prick but ultimately we fucked up in the first leg, again!

Still, this is Bayern Munich... one of the best teams in the world and we only went out on away goals.

I was one doubting Arsene but thats when I thought Wallcott and Cazorla were left out, two players who made a big difference. Santi especially.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2013 21:40:42
    Rewind a few hours with you lot saying they'd given up :D
  • kentmonkey 13 Mar 2013 21:41:08 20,939 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I felt sorry for Theo. The support he got from the midfield was awful. He had a good game in him tonight, and his opponent didn't look capable of dealing with his pace. He was just never giving the support.

Really pleased with the defence tonight though. Kos was great, and Gibbs really does make a difference at LB.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Mar 2013 21:41:27 14,450 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    They're the Chelsea of Germany.
    I guess not watching them regularly in a while made me forget.
    I forgot that it's Dortmund that are the likeable team.

At least we go to the next game on a high. It's just sad that we've been in this exact fight-back situation 2 seasons in a row now. This needs to learn to actually put 100% from the start, not just the 2nd part (whether that be the 2nd half, or the 2nd match).
  • evild_edd 13 Mar 2013 21:43:51 3,202 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh well, almost. Great effort, and we were much the better side.

Rosicky was wasteful in the centre, but I'm unsurprised with how little he's played this season. Arteta ruined a great performance with a shocking final five mins.

Ref was a joke, but no change there. He was on a mission to get every player on a yellow but never threaten a red.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• kentmonkey 13 Mar 2013 21:44:53 20,939 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We officially look better defensively whenever the captain doesn't play.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Mar 2013 21:45:01 14,450 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Brilliant defensive performance, but what an awful midfield performance.

Ramsey and Rosicky were wasteful and Arteta for 85 minutes was dire and for the last five minutes was an absolute clusterfuck.

Pleased to see Flappy have a decent, and confident, game.

Good result, we made one of the top three sides in Europe waste time and surely, surely, surely that's got to be a springboard...hasn't it?
    Happy for Fabby. Maybe he can recover to show the talent Wenger feels he has (he still calls him th ebest keeper at arsenal).
    Verm needs to fight for that place. No reason why he should start over Kos.

And other than the first 3 games, Arteta has sadly been a bit disappointing all season. We really do need a proper DM (which then frees him up tbh). I don't think the Arteta as DM experiment has worked out too well though. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and all of that.
  • kentmonkey 13 Mar 2013 21:51:52 20,939 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd give Verm a chance at DM. I've always felt that he'd be better there. He's got a goal threat in him, he's big and powerful, he likes to play in that sort of DM position when he plays in defence and it gives us some height in the midfield.

I know it won't happen, but I think he's got a decent DM player inside of him.

Arteta was awful, and wasn't playing the captain role well at all IMO. He was running around like an angry wasp at the end.

Very pleased for Flappy. I said this before, but he is technically the best keeper at Arsenal. It's just he has no confidence and, as a keeper, you need confidence. That has to be one of your qualities. Hopefully he can build confidence on that. He didn't do anything wrong, really. Even that ball that went under him for a throw in was really unexpected. That save against Robben was very composed.

Be interesting to see how he deals in a game with crosses though. As that's always where he's been lacking, an inevitably leads him to lose his confidence.

Can't believe how well Kos played. Brilliant defensive performance. Similar for Gibbs - not quite as good but still a great performance, especially first game back.
  • GuitarWolf 13 Mar 2013 21:54:48 168 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Needs to be more rules against time wasting. More cards for obvious time wasting, no subs in injury time, etc. Even watching games as a neutral, it's painful to watch
  • Syrette 13 Mar 2013 21:56:34 44,343 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GuitarWolf wrote:
    Needs to be more rules against time wasting. More cards for obvious time wasting, no subs in injury time, etc. Even watching games as a neutral, it's painful to watch
    I agree with your more cards comment but it's just part of the game. In such a big game you can't blame the team with the lead for doing whatever they can to protect it.

Wonder if you're so anti time-wasting when it's your club doing it...

• The-Bodybuilder 13 Mar 2013 21:57:35 14,450 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kentmonkey I fully agree that Verm should be converted to DM (along with playing Poldi up front). Just those 2 changes, IMO makes the whole squad better, all without spending a penny.

Sadly, as you've noticed, it will never happen. Playing Verm as a DM is one of those "bloody obvious" situations, like David Luiz as a DM.
  • StrayBezza 13 Mar 2013 21:58:06 234 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Luckily for Arsenal Bayern were utter shit tonight.
  • morriss 13 Mar 2013 21:58:57 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why do Arsenal fans have so many public school nicknames for their players?
  • kentmonkey 13 Mar 2013 21:59:54 20,939 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Because we can't spell many of them.
  • kentmonkey 13 Mar 2013 22:06:36 20,939 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wouldn't call many of them public schoolboy nicknames either.

'Flappyhandski', 'Rambo', 'Verminator', 'Sneezy' and the 'useless fucking prat with a circumsized penis for a head' aren't exactly 'Smithy', 'Carter', 'Jonesy' and 'Buggerlugs'.
  • Syrette 13 Mar 2013 22:10:29 44,343 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Buggerlugs was some player.

• GuitarWolf 13 Mar 2013 22:10:48 168 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    GuitarWolf wrote:
    I agree with your more cards comment but it's just part of the game. In such a big game you can't blame the team with the lead for doing whatever they can to protect it.

Wonder if you're so anti time-wasting when it's your club doing it...
    I don't like when anyone does it. It just seems like very poor sportsmanship. It's hard to watch. I think less of the players involved, whether I support the team or not, and I'm disappointed there isn't more done to prevent it.

Edited by GuitarWolf at 22:11:04 13-03-2013
  • Syrette 13 Mar 2013 22:12:35 44,343 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well it's up to the ref to a) punish the time-wasters, and b) add on the wasted time.

• THFourteen 13 Mar 2013 22:34:53 34,488 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Happy days!

Utterly great performance, rode our luck and made the most of our chances and the game would have played out differently if we hadn't been two down already, but i really can't argue with our efforts and the final score.

Proud.
  • IMO 13 Mar 2013 22:36:20 5,751 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Happy days!

Utterly great performance, rode our luck and made the most of our chances and the game would have played out differently if we hadn't been two down already, but i really can't argue with our efforts and the final score.

Proud.
    Let's just hope they can keep it up til the end of the season now.
  • THFourteen 13 Mar 2013 22:42:17 34,488 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fuck the end of the season, what's done is done and it can't be undone, we are not magically going to win ten games in a row.

I'm just happy with tonight.
  • riz23 13 Mar 2013 22:43:52 1,475 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's it mate, take it where we can get it. ;-)

GT: oldskooldeano

• Syrette 13 Mar 2013 22:51:17 44,343 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shame this is just the drink talking in his place.

• Dougs 13 Mar 2013 22:53:39 69,558 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Chuffed. As. Nuts. Too little too late, but they showed they can do it, and more importantly that they give a shit. Just hope they use it positively and not mope, Sat is a huge game.
  • The-Bodybuilder 14 Mar 2013 00:06:23 14,450 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Why do Arsenal fans have so many public school nicknames for their players?
    It's no different from any english club.
  • The-Bodybuilder 14 Mar 2013 00:07:48 14,450 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Expect all this super happy comments to turn sour when Arsenal dial it in for the swansea performance this weekend though. :p
  • imamazed 14 Mar 2013 09:31:16 5,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think there's much more you can do about time wasting tbh (at least in terms of last night's match) but what struck me was the fact there was just 3 minutes added time?! Bayern had already been time wasting before full time, there was a kerfuffle after the second goal, subs, stoppages, etc.

Irrelevant now I suppose.
  • HarryPalmer 14 Mar 2013 09:46:32 3,585 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep. I'm sorry but Neuer should have got a yellow. You can't run over to the ball and jump on it, preventing a restart, and get away with it. The ref was just wildly inconsistent throughout.

3 minutes was also a joke.

It is an astonishing result for Arsenal, I thought we were going to get absolutely spanked. I did enjoy Bayern totally shitting it.

It's probably the best result for Arsenal though, moral building win, we don't have the squad to deal with more European games and a very tough run in.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 09:47:05 14-03-2013
  • Page

of 716 First / Last