• roz123 6 Mar 2013 00:08:25 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    roz123 wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    roz123 wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:

Roz, given who you support, you very much live in a glass house with very few panes of glass left, maybe not wise to try and make more of that, than necessary.

Sure it was scummy, but Terry and cole are bound to have bettered that within 5 minutes of their next respective starts.
    :lol: I think I will try and use this gif daily now. Terry and Cole have never shown this kind kind of agression to a ref, Rio will rightly get a big suspension.
    You... can't actually be serious. Surely? I mean, I assumed because you support Chelsea that you had watched them at some stage.

Under Mourinho especially, they were the worst I've ever seen for this kind of stuff.
    its a fucking disgrace
    Shades of Drogba?
    You spotted what I did there

Well done
  • yegon 6 Mar 2013 00:24:33 5,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bah, just got home from the game, watched it back. I can see why the ref gave it, I don't like it, but shit happens. The real tragedy for me is for 56 minutes we were playing marginally better than Real fucking Madrid, there was an amazing atmosphere, the game was completely on a knife edge, the reason I love football....then the result became a foregone conclusion. I feel kinda robbed, not of the result - Real could most definitely have equalised and gone on to win, and although I don't fully agree with it, it was FAR from the worst red I've seen - but robbed of what was, until that point, amongst the most electrifying matches I've been fortunate enough to witness live.

The positives I take from it are that we've kind of expunged the feeling that we're simply not good enough to challenge in the CL anymore, and our position in the league ain't down to luck Robby.
  • Big-Boss 6 Mar 2013 00:34:32 11 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    The positives I take from it are that we've kind of expunged the feeling that we're simply not good enough to challenge in the CL anymore, and our position in the league ain't down to luck Robby.
    Not sure where that idea came from. United have been in 3 CL finals over the past 5 years. Last year was a blip and nothing more.
  • Deleted user 6 March 2013 00:41:41
    Yeah I think if there was a full compliment of players left on the park til the end Utd would have gone through. They did a superb job of stifling Madrid for almost an hour and bar a mistake I couldn't really seen them scoring.

Utd are clearly still good enough to win the CL and will be in with a shout practically forever.
  • yegon 6 Mar 2013 00:48:29 5,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Big-Boss wrote:
    yegon wrote:
    Not sure where that idea came from. United have been in 3 CL finals over the past 5 years. Last year was a blip and nothing more.
    Oh totally, last year was a blip. It's just the last couple of years, it's been hard to shake the feeling that the PL is a pile of wank* in a lot of ways, and domestic dominance conceals the lag relative to Barca, Real, Bayern etc. Point being, if you'd told me 6-12 months ago we'd play like that against Real with our midfield, I'd have struggled to believe it.

*Yeah yeah, an English team still won the CL last year, which flies in the face of that argument, but still
  • RightBean 6 Mar 2013 01:13:18 662 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    They should punish that player yeah, but not the whole team, there should be some kind of thing where dangerous play, where no real harm was done, the player personally is punished. maybe get him to run 40 laps of the pitch, or waterboarding, the ref was applying the rules, so it's the rules that are the problem.
  • speedofthepuma 6 Mar 2013 01:23:29 13,320 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is rarely good for the game if a player is sent off. The neutral spectator always suffers.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• ecu 6 Mar 2013 02:49:42 77,313 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ok so nobody wants this was it/wasn't it a red card thing to be dragged out too long. Here are the laws of the game regarding this incident:

Careless, Reckless, Using Excessive Force

"Careless" means that the player has shown a lack of attention or consideration when making his challenge or that he acted without precaution:
    -no further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is judged to be careless

"Reckless" means that the player has acted with a complete disregard of the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent:
    -a player who plays in a reckless manner shall be cautioned

"Using excessive force" means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent:
    - a player who uses excessive force shall be sent off
    Keith Hackett covered this in a You are the Ref strip:

You need to be alert to all forms of dangerous play and take action whether or not there is physical contact. The striker has performed an overhead kick "with complete disregard to the danger to his opponent" so, after calling on the medics, disallow the goal, caution the player for being reckless and award a direct free-kick to the defending team.
    Examples from this season:

Torres was booked for this against United in October (and then sent off for diving later in the game!).
    Darron Gibson and Carlton Cole were both sent off for it in December. Both reds were rescinded.

It falls under "reckless" play, so Nani should have been cautioned. The ref has deemed it excessive force and I believe he's made a mistake in doing so.

Edited by ecureuil at 03:11:03 06-03-2013
  • liamthemaster 6 Mar 2013 02:57:56 1,610 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Damn utd fans take a lot of time to prove their opinion is fact.
  • ecu 6 Mar 2013 03:02:02 77,313 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I saw all the relevant links as I was reading the fallout from the game on various websites, it was just a matter of bringing them together, which didn't take long. It's also nice to know what the actual law is, instead of speculating.

Edited by ecureuil at 03:02:23 06-03-2013
  • speedofthepuma 6 Mar 2013 03:18:43 13,320 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    liamthemaster wrote:
    Damn utd fans take a lot of time to prove their opinion is fact.
    So you admit he's right then.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Dougs 6 Mar 2013 07:04:38 69,500 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As with all calls that refs make, it's a matter of interpretation. There aren't many definites in football, hence why video tech would be difficult to implement.
  • damagedinc 6 Mar 2013 07:11:14 963 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RVPs sending off against barca a few years ago was a worse desicion and had half the fuss.

foot was high from the refs angle he had no choice but to send him off. even with the red plenty of teams snuff out games with ten men. united couldnt deal with that so didnt go through.
  • THFourteen 6 Mar 2013 07:36:10 34,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whether after hours of hindsight you can bring yourself to agree with the decision or not, i think 99% of people watching the game after seeing the incident, waiting for nanny to finish roll around, and get up, were utterly shocked to see a red card brandished.
  • mcmonkeyplc 6 Mar 2013 07:37:10 39,567 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well I'm proud of our players anyway. We didn't get raped.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• THFourteen 6 Mar 2013 07:41:06 34,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Just groped.
  • morriss 6 Mar 2013 07:44:41 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    Yeah I think if there was a full compliment of players left on the park til the end Utd would have gone through. They did a superb job of stifling Madrid for almost an hour and bar a mistake I couldn't really seen them scoring.

Utd are clearly still good enough to win the CL and will be in with a shout practically forever.
    Especially if they can still afford to cherrypick the league's best players despite their owners being massively in debt.
  • King_Edward 6 Mar 2013 07:46:01 11,471 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think any action is justified if it contributes to Man U losing. That's my un-biased, totally neutral opinion.

Edited by King_Edward at 07:46:15 06-03-2013
  • morriss 6 Mar 2013 07:50:04 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Weird Madrid fans aren't moaning about Rafael's blatant handball and red card not given. If it was 9 men they would have won easily.
  • Fab4 6 Mar 2013 07:53:11 6,216 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Same ref sent off Balotelli for a studs up 'tackle' two years ago.
  • THFourteen 6 Mar 2013 07:55:40 34,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Weird Madrid fans aren't moaning about Rafael's blatant handball and red card not given. If it was 9 men they would have won easily.
    they did win easily
  • morriss 6 Mar 2013 07:56:59 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I remember other refs giving numerous bad decisions at Old Trafford that have changed games and not been the focus of an international media shit storm. Blatant penalties, goals not given, last man tackling and only getting a yellow etc. etc.

Amazing.
  • morriss 6 Mar 2013 07:57:21 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    they did win easily
    Ok, by a much greater margin.
  • morriss 6 Mar 2013 07:57:21 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    they did win easily
    Ok, by a much greater margin.
  • roz123 6 Mar 2013 08:01:56 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It was a master stroke bringing on Modric before Utd had a chance to settle. He upped the tempo, took them up another couple of gears and Utd couldn't handle him
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Mar 2013 08:09:12 11,892 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Boab wrote:

Especially if they can still afford to cherrypick the league's best players despite their owners being massively in debt.
    You can whinge about their hateful owners but the fact is that Man U pretty much spend what they earn, they're hardly a Man City or Chelsea.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Dougs 6 Mar 2013 08:14:22 69,500 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    You're not Mansfield or Bradford you know. This wasn't a David vs Goliath match at all.
  • THFourteen 6 Mar 2013 08:15:41 34,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    You're not Blackburn or Bradford you know. This wasn't a David vs Goliath match at all.
    fixed.
  • Dougs 6 Mar 2013 08:18:28 69,500 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

You can whinge about their hateful owners but the fact is that Man U pretty much spend what they earn, they're hardly a Man City or Chelsea.
    Saw something interesting the other day, suggested that despite their healthy cash reserves, they still had to raise the cash for van Persie from the markets. No idea if that's true though.
  • Page

of 716 First / Last