Champions League Page 496

• Page

of 691 First / Last

• cookie-monster 5 Mar 2013 23:04:20 53 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If you can't shut up shop at home with a 1-0 lead for 40 minutes you don't deserve anything. Nine outfield players behind the ball should have the capability to do that, I guarantee RM, Barca, Milan, could manage it no problem.

Fergie has rested on his attacking players because the Premier League is fucking shit but he got called on it tonight, and lost.

Also, no defensive depth on the bench either. It says a lot about how far down in the doldrums the Prem is that that shower are 15 points clear.
  • ecureuil 5 Mar 2013 23:04:48 76,877 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    Doing rounds on twitter:

In the last 2 years referee Cuneyt Cakin has sent off Balotelli (MC), Terry (Che), Gerrard (Eng), Cahill (Che). Now Nani (MU) sees red.

Not sure how often this guy dishes out the reds though!
    He's also got a twitter account where he lists himself as a Real Madrid and Barcelona fan. He also follows Ronaldo.
    HE'S A CHEATING CUNT
    Hey I'm not implying anything, just putting it out there. If that account is real then you must admit there's something not right about it.
  • ElNuevo9 5 Mar 2013 23:05:11 13,444 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    Dangerous play is a red card, no matter how blind or spazzy you are.
    This is true. Just as well that what Nani did wasn't dangerous.
    Having your foot at chest height isn't dangerous? Loads of players have been sent off for the same thing.
    If that's the case, then you need to show a red card even if nobody is around you and you make no contact.

Henry was the best I've ever seen about leaping in the air and plucking the out of the sky. But we'd have to send him off now because it's "dangerous".

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Trane 5 Mar 2013 23:05:29 4,054 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Trane wrote:
    Well, I'm gutted. I was really surprised to see Nani start, too much of a gamble IMO. It reminded me of picking Rafael to mark Ribery in the Bayern game a few years back - too hot-headed and still yet to mature as a player, with the outcome being exactly the same. That situation was the making of Rafael though, I can try and take positives from the hope that Nani will bounce back and be a better player for it.

The ref is not entirely at fault, Nani made the challenge and from there the ref had to decide whether it was a yellow or a red - IMO he got it wrong and his decision was slightly rash, but it was not a crazy decision like some people are making out.

I was very disappointed with how the team reacted to the red, in the minutes following the decision I would have liked to have seen Fergie, Giggs, Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra expend energy on settling their team down - rather than cheerleading. There are enough leaders in that team for them not to have capitulated the way they did for 10 or so minutes.

Hats off to Real, I thought they conducted themselves well for the most part, the Modric goal was absolute class. I do feel hard done by, but not robbed.
    Fairly reasonable, can't say i agree with all of it and I think Fergie got every team decision absolutely spot on, given how brilliant we were in a tactical sense until the sending off. How you can argue selection was wrong in the face of that I don't know.
    I'm saying selection of one player, who has proved a liability in the past - was wrong. I do not believe that the exact same tactics/gameplan/execution could not have been carried out by swapping out Nani for Valencia.
  • Deleted user 5 March 2013 23:05:46
    Just as well this wasn't Chelsea, he'd be getting death threats by now.
  • NotSoSlim 5 Mar 2013 23:06:12 3,127 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cookie-monster wrote:
    If you can't shut up shop at home with a 1-0 lead for 40 minutes you don't deserve anything. Nine outfield players behind the ball should have the capability to do that, I guarantee RM, Barca, Milan, could manage it no problem.

Fergie has rested on his attacking players because the Premier League is fucking shit but he got called on it tonight, and lost.

Also, no defensive depth on the bench either. It says a lot about how far down in the doldrums the Prem is that that shower are 15 points clear.
    Got to wonder if common sense is a dying quality these days.
  • dsmx 5 Mar 2013 23:06:24 7,622 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They've been sent off for intent not for raising their foot aargh.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• TheSaint 5 Mar 2013 23:07:21 14,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Doing rounds on twitter:

In the last 2 years referee Cuneyt Cakin has sent off Balotelli (MC), Terry (Che), Gerrard (Eng), Cahill (Che). Now Nani (MU) sees red.

Not sure how often this guy dishes out the reds though!
    He's also been the ref for a couple of United games recently without any incident.
  • ElNuevo9 5 Mar 2013 23:07:33 13,444 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cookie-monster wrote:

That "shower" that narrowly lost to a side who've just beat Barca twice In the space of one week, and, despite what anyone says, need the help of a contentious refereeing decision.

Yeah. Nice one.

• Syrette 5 Mar 2013 23:08:22 43,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lamb wrote:
    Also Newcastle with Demba Ba's broken nose that should have been a red as it wasn't anything but a kungfu kick.
    Hyperbole much? Was a red but wasn't malicious.

• Deleted user 5 March 2013 23:08:42
    ElNino9 wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    Dangerous play is a red card, no matter how blind or spazzy you are.
    This is true. Just as well that what Nani did wasn't dangerous.
    Having your foot at chest height isn't dangerous? Loads of players have been sent off for the same thing.
    If that's the case, then you need to show a red card even if nobody is around you and you make no contact.

Henry was the best I've ever seen about leaping in the air and plucking the out of the sky. But we'd have to send him off now because it's "dangerous".
    If he kicked a player in the chest then quite possibly.

Why should kicking someone in the chest be ok just because its Man U?
  • Syrette 5 Mar 2013 23:10:15 43,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why are any of you attempting to convince Man Utd fans to change their minds about the decision?

• ElNuevo9 5 Mar 2013 23:10:39 13,444 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nani didn't kick him though, did he? Kicking would imply a swinging motion was carried out. His foot was raised and Arbeloa came clattering into him.

• Deleted user 5 March 2013 23:10:45
    dsmx wrote:
    They've been sent off for intent not for raising their foot aargh.
    Not always. Being a clumsy fuck doesn't mean you can't be punished.
  • roz123 5 Mar 2013 23:11:26 7,113 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:

Roz, given who you support, you very much live in a glass house with very few panes of glass left, maybe not wise to try and make more of that, than necessary.

Sure it was scummy, but Terry and cole are bound to have bettered that within 5 minutes of their next respective starts.
    :lol: I think I will try and use this gif daily now. Terry and Cole have never shown this kind kind of agression to a ref, Rio will rightly get a big suspension.
  • speedofthepuma 5 Mar 2013 23:12:06 13,293 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He didn't kick someone in the chest, if someone runs into your hand, you haven't punched them.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• RightBean 5 Mar 2013 23:12:50 651 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It is a shame it happened but the rules are the same regardless of the stature of the game, it's not all about what is best for spectators. If you can't get the ball just leave it. It's funny that they argued he had no awareness of other players, so if there is was no urgency for him, why the desperate acrobatics, just leave the ball to drop.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Mar 2013 23:13:00 11,300 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Compare the 10 mins after the red card with the final 10 mins of the game.
    If United had've kept their composure they'd still be in the tournament.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• ElNuevo9 5 Mar 2013 23:13:34 13,444 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Terry would've been en route to his marital home the moment the whistle went.

• Deleted user 5 March 2013 23:13:49
    ElNino9 wrote:
    Nani didn't kick him though, did he? Kicking would imply a swinging motion was carried out. His foot was raised and Arbeloa came clattering into him.
    His foot was in motion, swinging toward the ball. I think you're making an odd point here.

He wasn't trying to kick a player but he did and had his foot so high that it was dangerous.

Red is not unreasonable.
  • NotSoSlim 5 Mar 2013 23:14:27 3,127 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Compare the 10 mins after the red card with the final 10 mins of the game.
    If United had've kept their composure they'd still be in the tournament.
    Not a case of composure. Its giving great players space due to less men. Real still created chances just think fans gave players a boost.
  • ElNuevo9 5 Mar 2013 23:15:08 13,444 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    He didn't kick someone in the chest, if someone runs into your hand, you haven't punched them.

Plus. Fucking. One.

• Deleted user 5 March 2013 23:16:35
    ElNino9 wrote:
    speedofthepuma wrote:

Plus. Fucking. One.
    If a player runs around flailing his arms it's everyone else's responsibility to duck.
  • liamthemaster 5 Mar 2013 23:18:30 1,601 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wait are ppl actually saying he didn't kick him in the chest lol
  • Trane 5 Mar 2013 23:18:41 4,054 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't know what's worse, all the United fans crying that it wasn't a red, or the usual crowd who expend so much energy saying that it was, in many different ways, across many different posts.

Over and over.
  • The-Bodybuilder 5 Mar 2013 23:19:10 14,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    In KICKboxing, that exact technique is called a jumping front KICK.

Any striking action with the legs is a kick.
  • Deleted user 5 March 2013 23:20:44
    Trane wrote:
    I don't know what's worse, all the United fans crying that it wasn't a red, or the usual crowd who expend so much energy saying that it was, in many different ways, across many different posts.

Over and over.
    Everyone! Stop discussing things in the discussion thread!
  • mikew1985 5 Mar 2013 23:20:55 12,798 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Lamb wrote:
    Also Newcastle with Demba Ba's broken nose that should have been a red as it wasn't anything but a kungfu kick.
    Hyperbole much? Was a red but wasn't malicious.
    Wasn't even a red imo, or a pen. Collocinni going for the ball. Ba was brave but got caught.
  • The-Bodybuilder 5 Mar 2013 23:21:48 14,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    Actually, it is still a punch. Happens all the time in boxing.

Honestly, you guys are coming our with some weird arguments here. Mot gratin even agree its a sending off.
  • ElNuevo9 5 Mar 2013 23:22:03 13,444 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    ElNino9 wrote:
    His foot was in motion, swinging toward the ball. I think you're making an odd point here.

He wasn't trying to kick a player but he did and had his foot so high that it was dangerous.

Red is not unreasonable.
    Ok. Should Lopez have been sent off for punching Vidic, then?

• Page

of 691 First / Last