Champions League Page 475

• Page

of 716 First / Last

• Deleted user 20 February 2013 11:03:22
    THFourteen wrote:
    kalel wrote:This ^^^ is what TH wants to voluntarily sign up for, when he's already got the second best manager in the history of the PL managing his team. Madness.
    again, you aren't a fortune teller, and you don't know for a fact what will happen when Wenger leaves.

its all IYO.
    I accept that, but presented with the possibility, you said:

meh, if we have to go through a few managers who cares.
    This is again where I think you lack perspective. You think there's a 66% chance that the next manager will be no worse than Wenger, and even if he isn't, it's not a big deal (again, your words).

Maybe it's not a big deal to you, but again, considering what a massive deal your current predicament appears to be to you, I dread to think how you'd deal with mid-table mediocrity, let alone relegation.
  • THFourteen 20 Feb 2013 12:59:04 34,471 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:Maybe it's not a big deal to you, but again, considering what a massive deal your current predicament appears to be to you, I dread to think how you'd deal with mid-table mediocrity, let alone relegation.
    You do realise this is an internet forum and i dont generally spend all of my time ranting and raving about Wenger IRL? Or trolling the Wii U for that matter.

Football analysis tends to focus on the negative. Fans of all clubs on internet forums generally post about the negatives. Thats where people see improvements can be made.

I honestly believe that with the playing staff we have, there are other managers out there who can consistently change the tactics and set the team up to beat those teams with players worse than we have (Bradford, Birmingham, Blackburn etc).

Thats what i'm saying about Wenger. Thats why i think that another manager would be better. Not because i think we will finish above Chelsea/Man U / Man City
  • caligari 20 Feb 2013 13:01:59 17,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Laudrup to Arsenal. You heard it here first!
  • Deleted user 20 February 2013 13:40:52
    @THFourteen

I get all that. It really comes down to a very simple point of disagreement. You seem to think it's pretty likely that your next manager will do better, or at least do no worse. I strongly disagree, and I also think you have a pretty naive view on what happens if/when he's not.

We'll get to find out soon enough though, so exciting times for both of us.
  • Syrette 20 Feb 2013 14:17:10 44,227 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    By and large Arsenal fans are ungrateful moaners.

Just wait till the summer - buy big, and kick on next year.

• Blotto 20 Feb 2013 14:43:44 2,777 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Just wait till the summer - buy big, and kick on next year.
    I'm all for a bit of banter, but this is just cruel.
  • puddleduck 20 Feb 2013 15:00:35 1,854 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've always felt that getting rid of Wenger will be the beginning of the end for Arsenal. They're not as big a club as they think they are. Players go there to play for Wenger, not Arsenal.

Their fans are hardly known as being particularly supportive either, so all in all, not somewhere the top players will be lining up to go play. I think I would love Arsenal to move on from Wenger now, as I'd like to see the fallout. Amazing how Liverpool fans had enough of Rafa by the end of his tenure, but would have given anything to get him back at the start of this season...

All said, I find it hard to hate Arsenal just because geography says I should. As a club they are run in the right way and with the right footballing philosophies, so really I support the way they do things, even if most of their fans are on the stubbed toe side of annoying.
  • Mr_Sleep 20 Feb 2013 15:05:57 17,383 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Otherwise, every player was at their natural level - nowhere near Bayern's.
    I was just reading back through this thread as I wondered if anyone had made this point. To me, Bayern Munich are one of the best teams in the world and Arsenal are not, the idea that Arsenal should be winning the game just isn't true. It possibly should have been a closer match but Bayern are a class act.

As with all managerial changes, the question should be more concerned with who can be got in that will improve things. As it is I can't see anyone out there that will drastically improve things. To me, Arsenal would be punching above their weight challenging for the premiership or champions league.

You are a factory of sadness.

• liamthemaster 20 Feb 2013 15:10:40 1,610 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Considering they've sold 90% of their world class players over the past 3 years they're doing pretty damn well.
  • The-Bodybuilder 20 Feb 2013 15:42:09 14,442 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    99% sure it will be Remi Garde after Wenger, IMO.
  • The-Bodybuilder 20 Feb 2013 15:49:16 14,442 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    puddleduck wrote:
    They're not as big a club as they think they are. Players go there to play for Wenger, not Arsenal.
    Not that I've ever said Wenger out (I never have, even when he pisses me off, which seems to be every weekend), but....we are a big club; both from a financial perspective, historical (liverpoollol), stadium, commercial and number of global fans. To say we're not is absurd, we always have been. Even in our current lull and decline, we still are.

Also, many players do come for Wenger's development, yet they also leave as soon as they've got what they wanted; to mature into complete players. Besides, his pull is not as strong as it once was, based on our current decline and against the money others offer (though as wages show, we're no slouch in splashing the cash on crazy wages).

Their fans are hardly known as being particularly supportive either
    Based on what? comments from here, 606 and twitter? That can be said for any club.

Go ask any previous player about how they think of our fans. Its amazing how short people memories are, basing it on current internet malaise to judge arsenal the club.

PS: I'm still not "Wenger Out", before people use that label to discredit me.

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 15:52:24 20-02-2013

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 15:53:27 20-02-2013
  • The-Bodybuilder 20 Feb 2013 15:51:37 14,442 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Otherwise, every player was at their natural level - nowhere near Bayern's.
    I was just reading back through this thread as I wondered if anyone had made this point. To me, Bayern Munich are one of the best teams in the world and Arsenal are not, the idea that Arsenal should be winning the game just isn't true. It possibly should have been a closer match but Bayern are a class act.

As with all managerial changes, the question should be more concerned with who can be got in that will improve things. As it is I can't see anyone out there that will drastically improve things. To me, Arsenal would be punching above their weight challenging for the premiership or champions league.

Don't think anyone was expecting us to win.
    I personally think yesterday will be a big eye-open to Wenger. For a while, he's believed this team was still capable of being a champion, european-contender squad, just not far from it. What that showed him was just how far aware his idea of this being this global force he believes it could be, is.
  • Deleted user 20 February 2013 15:54:23
    Christ, this Stuart Robson guy (Arsenal 80s) that SSN keep wheeling out to talk about Arsenal doesn't like Arsene Wenger.

My instinct is he's talking a pile of shit though, trying to make a name for himself in the media by being controversial.
  • Mr_Sleep 20 Feb 2013 16:01:23 17,383 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Don't think anyone was expecting us to win.
    I personally think yesterday will be a big eye-open to Wenger. For a while, he's believed this team was still capable of being a champion, european-contender squad, just not far from it. What that showed him was just how far aware his idea of this being this global force he believes it could be, is.
    The interesting thing is that I don't think Wenger's method of playing football has changed its application to the sport, his tactical ideas are still relevant and indeed I think he has many of the players he needs to achieve this.

It's just the cohesion that is lacking, if you compare how Bayern Munich defended and attacked with that of Arsenal and it was pretty clear that Bayern were a unit whereas something at Arsenal is fractured. I hope it continues until Saturday! ;-)

You are a factory of sadness.

• Dougs 20 Feb 2013 16:26:01 69,516 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Christ, this Stuart Robson guy (Arsenal 80s) that SSN keep wheeling out to talk about Arsenal doesn't like Arsene Wenger.

My instinct is he's talking a pile of shit though, trying to make a name for himself in the media by being controversial.
    He also has an axe to grind after we sacked him as an analyst on our website. That or he caught Wenger in bed with his wife or his kid.
  • Deleted user 20 February 2013 16:29:39
    Ah, that explains it.
  • welshben23 20 Feb 2013 16:38:59 1,107 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Hmm...how do I put this nicely? :D Piss off!
  • Deleted user 20 February 2013 16:40:14
    I'd have a punt on him to Madrid at some point.
  • nickthegun 20 Feb 2013 16:47:40 61,318 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, the rumour is that Carlo Ancelotti, the man who was touted as not being good enough for arsenal not two pages ago, has 'verbally' agreed terms with Real today.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 20 February 2013 16:49:22
    That would be a shock. Guessing Mourihno would be going in the other direction.
  • Deleted user 20 February 2013 16:52:05
    Surprising. I thought Benitez was nailed on for Madrid in the summer.
  • Dougs 20 Feb 2013 17:27:19 69,516 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Still think mourinho is nailed on for City.
  • nickthegun 20 Feb 2013 17:28:25 61,318 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still reckon Utd.

I hope he doesnt, but I hes tailor made for it.

• Dougs 20 Feb 2013 17:53:13 69,516 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    True enough.

Anyway, will this guy be watching tonight?

@SimonTorresPike: 1mil bet, 6 out of 8 so far, Just tonights two games... come onnnn http://t.co/w3dfcLQg"
  • nickthegun 20 Feb 2013 17:57:18 61,318 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apparently, the bookies took as much of a pounding as arsenal last night. Everyone absolutely lumped on arsenal by all accounts.

• oceanmotion 20 Feb 2013 17:58:51 16,128 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How did he get it to 1 million?
  • Syrette 20 Feb 2013 18:04:17 44,227 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Some Coral promotion. Free bet.

• The-Bodybuilder 20 Feb 2013 18:32:41 14,442 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    It's just the cohesion that is lacking, if you compare how Bayern Munich defended and attacked with that of Arsenal and it was pretty clear that Bayern were a unit whereas something at Arsenal is fractured. I hope it continues until Saturday! ;-)
    This, THIS, OH GOSH THIS.
    This is why I get somewhat annoyed when "wengerites" always make the first point that "we can't spend the way chelsea/united/city can", WTF has that got to do with ou rorganisation?

Over the past 8 years, we've had different personel in defence and midfield (in the squad in general), yet stat shows, once again we have the highest number of individual-errors-leading-to-goals. That team cohesion has been lacking; from defensive organisation to team pressing, even with different personnel in the last few years.
    What's made it worse is the drop in quality, which magnifies those cohesion issues.

Watching BM was such a joy to watch, they seemed to know exactly what to do without the ball. They were the very definition of a "well-drilled" team, something that cannot be said about us for a long time now. And that's got nothing to do with money.
  • The-Bodybuilder 20 Feb 2013 18:35:15 14,442 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I still reckon Utd.

I hope he doesnt, but I hes tailor made for it.
    mourinho? I think he defo wants United, but SAF isn't going anywhere anyimt soon. And he looks like leaving come the end of the season, so I would say Mourinho to PSG is the most likely.

Benitez has been on a losing streak (performance-wise) for a while now; liveprool end days, Inter and now Chelsea. His stock is surely dropping.
  • roz123 20 Feb 2013 18:48:51 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Drogba and Schneider both starting for Galatasaray tonight
  • Page

of 716 First / Last