Champions League Page 473

• Page

of 687 First / Last

• LeD 19 Feb 2013 22:07:47 6,296 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Arsenal won't go anywhere with Wenger IMO. Too many poor defenders and strikers for big money.
    None of them are poor to start with. That's the real issue. And also why we need somebody new.
  • Syrette 19 Feb 2013 22:08:14 43,498 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeD wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, Wenger's still a great manager, coaching a currently top 5 side in arguably Europe's best league. But we're getting ever diminishing returns, and he seems blind to all of the current problems and issues. Either that or something else is holding us back, but I think it is just down to him who we sign or don't sign, how we set up shop in every game and so on.
    He's been in this job too long now, is all.
    Who out there could do better?

• oceanmotion 19 Feb 2013 22:12:45 15,951 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Get Klopp.
  • LeD 19 Feb 2013 22:13:24 6,296 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well we won't know until we try somebody else, will we?
  • nickthegun 19 Feb 2013 22:14:21 59,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Theres literally half a dozen managers I could think of off the top of my head, especially if they continue to pay ludicrous managers salary.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• nickthegun 19 Feb 2013 22:15:43 59,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, any other manager they get will insist on an end to the current transfer policy so its win/win

• LeD 19 Feb 2013 22:17:33 6,296 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't believe I wrote "holding us back" in a previous post. That's neither here nor there. Going back to a decent shape and form would do us a world of good for starters, forget about challenging for the title.
  • Blotto 19 Feb 2013 22:18:56 2,776 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well that was shit.

But fuck it, it's against Bayern FFS. I'm much more worried about the Blackburn result.
  • IMO 19 Feb 2013 22:24:53 5,667 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Theres literally half a dozen managers I could think of off the top of my head, especially if they continue to pay ludicrous managers salary.
    Go on then...

(Not having a go, just curious)
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Feb 2013 22:32:18 14,199 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    LeD wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, Wenger's still a great manager, coaching a currently top 5 side in arguably Europe's best league. But we're getting ever diminishing returns, and he seems blind to all of the current problems and issues. Either that or something else is holding us back, but I think it is just down to him who we sign or don't sign, how we set up shop in every game and so on.
    People probably said the same thing before we got Wenger.
  • nickthegun 19 Feb 2013 22:37:39 59,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Laudrup, moyes, klopp, ancelotti, martinez and hiddink.

Mourinho if the purse strings got loosened.

• roz123 19 Feb 2013 22:39:15 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What is Bayerns manager doing when Guardiola takes over?
  • Syrette 19 Feb 2013 22:47:12 43,498 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    Retiring.

• neilqpr 20 Feb 2013 00:05:41 2,851 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    roz123 wrote:
    Retiring.
    Don't think that's the case, on Football Weekly this week they said he might go back to Schalke.
  • evild_edd 20 Feb 2013 07:20:49 3,112 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Laudrup, moyes, klopp, ancelotti, martinez and hiddink.

Mourinho if the purse strings got loosened.
    Laudrup - No, too big a leap. Half a good season is not enough proof of his abilities IMHO.
    Moyes - I'd consider it actually. Would be interesting.
    Klopp - I'd consider it.
    Ancelotti - NO! Fucking eyebrow and Chelski connection.
    Martinez - NO! Shit with Wigan. Would lead us to a relegation battle.
    Hiddink - Can't see it happening and not sure I'd want it to. Just think he's a bit dodgy. Oh yes, and there's the old Chelski connection...

That might come across as negative but actually I agree - we need a change even if it leads us through a painful transition period. Don't forget the golden rule of football managers: when opposition fans start defending your manager, it's time to sack them!

AW is Arsenal Football Club. He handles transfer activity, squad, tactics, match prep, team mentality...everything. The fact that a team who's finished in the top 4 every season has failed to lift a trophy for 8 seasons is just not good enough. Arsene has to take responsibility and be held accountable.

He'll never be sacked, but he needs to stand down. Hopefully that'll happen this summer.

As the club motto says: Forward.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• THFourteen 20 Feb 2013 07:56:32 33,436 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    is that your knee i see jerking there :-)
  • ascue 20 Feb 2013 08:32:28 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That was pretty poor last night, though awful defending for the second and third goals didn't help matters. At least Kroos smashed it.
  • kalel 20 Feb 2013 08:34:46 87,689 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    LeD wrote:
    People probably said the same thing before we got Wenger.
    Strongly doubt anyone said that about Bruce Rioch.

I'm very much looking forward to Arsenal entering the managerial wilderness years. I really don't think you guys understand what you have to look forward to in this respect.
  • THFourteen 20 Feb 2013 08:34:58 33,436 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Szceny needs to be dropped.
  • THFourteen 20 Feb 2013 08:35:48 33,436 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    meh, if we have to go through a few managers who cares.

pretty much 90% of the world apart from kalel and dougs want wenger to go
  • kalel 20 Feb 2013 08:38:30 87,689 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I want Wenger to go.
  • THFourteen 20 Feb 2013 08:44:48 33,436 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sweet, 90.00001% want Wenger to go.
  • kalel 20 Feb 2013 08:56:12 87,689 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    meh, if we have to go through a few managers who cares.
    I just don't think you really understand what this entails.

Only teams like Chelsea and City can afford to keep sacking managers and it not really matter too much. For the rest of the league managerial roller-coasters means huge expense and regression as a team. Look at Spurs. Look at Liverpool. Look at Villa. Look at Newcastle. That is what happens when you "go through a few managers". Trust me, you will care when it actually happens.

The question you need to be seriously considering, is "what if this is as good as it gets", because that really may well be the reality you face.
  • Dougs 20 Feb 2013 08:57:20 67,734 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Changing managers won't change a thing imo. We are where we are in terms of resources and the types of players we can afford aren't those that will make us title challengers again. No matter who is brought in, 3rd/4th is about our level, such is the gulf in resources and I'd much prefer AW to try and bridge that through player development than anyone else.

Anyway, Bayern were a class act - so reminiscent of how we used to be. Fast, direct, organised and ruthless. We gave it a go 2nd half, but yet again left too much to do, with 2 poor errors. Again. Ah well, onto Saturday.
  • THFourteen 20 Feb 2013 09:01:24 33,436 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    but what if its not as good as it gets? what if it could get better? why should the glass be half empty?

and is 4th place so good that i dont want to give it up to see if it could get better? 4th place and being knocked out of the CL every year in the round of 16/qf is actually quite boring. Maybe we need 5-10 years of being shit so that we can appreciate being above average again

nobody in their wildest dreams could have thought that when wenger signed he would stay for 16 years. similarly nobody in their wildest dreams can say whether any manager we get next will stay for 16 months or 16 years.

either way i'm bored shitless of our never-changing tactics and our defensive frailties, and the fact that every season plays out in exactly the same shape or form every year.

at the end of the day, football has become just a fun day out for me, go to the pub meet friends, drink, go to game, i dont actually care hugely about the results anymore. I can do all of this if we are 12th or 4th, theres no real difference, apart from my ticket might get a lot cheaper.
  • TheSaint 20 Feb 2013 09:09:06 14,411 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you think it's boring now, imagine buying your 800 season ticket and finishing mid table. Almost any other fan in the division would kill for a boring fourth place finish every season.
  • kalel 20 Feb 2013 09:09:45 87,689 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thing is, your glass isn't half empty. It's about 80% full in fact.

I keep coming back to a pontoon analogy. Would you twist on 18?
  • Dougs 20 Feb 2013 09:10:20 67,734 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Depends what the dealer was showing
  • Dougs 20 Feb 2013 09:15:42 67,734 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Posted this in the Group last night, this is what Kalel means:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100203522/arsene-wenger-is-one-of-the-great-managers-in-the-history-of-football-who-could-ever-fill-his-shoes-at-arsenal/
  • kalel 20 Feb 2013 09:16:45 87,689 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OK, that's where it breaks down, but you get my point...

Anyway, whatever, I'll just enjoy the show.
  • Page

of 687 First / Last