of 670 First / Last

• Jono62 4 Dec 2012 22:46:22 13,961 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shit, forgot Sinclair was at Man City.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 4 Dec 2012 23:11:58 9,724 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not bothered about the defeat, just happy to be in the draw for the KO round. Weird but I think we're better off second (PSG, Dortmund, Malaga, Shakhtar, would rather avoid Barca/Bayern) than first (Juve, Real, Milan, Gala, Porto, Celtic) so there's not much difference really.

I imagine the papers tomorrow will be more concerned with the English champions finishing winless and bottom of their group despite their infinite resources.
  • JonFE 4 Dec 2012 23:40:28 1,438 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    ...Still strong enough to be beating Panathinaikos...
    Given the poor state Panathinaikos has been lately, you are probably right; too bad you were playing against Olympiacos instead. :evil:

I jest. :cool:

On a serious note, this game was more important to us than you, as we wanted to increase our chances for an "weaker" opponent in Europa League. If Arsenal were in any danger of not qualifying, it would be a different match with a different result, most probably.

Edited by JonFE at 23:41:41 04-12-2012
  • SuperCoolEskimo 4 Dec 2012 23:52:09 9,724 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ITV after the game said we could draw Utd in the next round.

It's like they're consciously trying to be as uninformed and amateur as possible.
  • El_MUERkO 5 Dec 2012 01:18:55 16,955 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Man City losing tonight gets them out of the Europa League. If they want to win the Champions League you'd think they'd want more European experience. Not to mention the Silverware. They may want the Premiership more but with the squad they have they should be looking to win more than just that.
  • Dougs 5 Dec 2012 06:30:51 66,711 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    ITV after the game said we could draw Utd in the next round.

It's like they're consciously trying to be as uninformed and amateur as possible.
    And Schalke. Southgate did at least put them right.
  • Dougs 5 Dec 2012 06:32:09 66,711 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JonFE wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    ...Still strong enough to be beating Panathinaikos...
    Given the poor state Panathinaikos has been lately, you are probably right; too bad you were playing against Olympiacos instead. :evil:

I jest. :cool:

On a serious note, this game was more important to us than you, as we wanted to increase our chances for an "weaker" opponent in Europa League. If Arsenal were in any danger of not qualifying, it would be a different match with a different result, most probably.
    Heh, that was a dig at the broadcaster over here who said we were playing Pana at the end of the 1st half!
  • kalel 5 Dec 2012 08:35:03 86,394 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So Man City's CL performance this year officially the worst of any English club in the history of the competition.

Shameful.
  • THFourteen 5 Dec 2012 08:38:29 32,870 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was also one of the toughest groups i can ever recall in the history of the champions league.
  • Tom_Servo 5 Dec 2012 08:40:10 17,330 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What is it about Europe that seems to dumbfound some managers? It's not like they're playing basketball in the Champions League.

James Richardson asked this on Football Weekly the other week and, apart from a giggle about the teams being better, no one really had an answer. Or is that the answer?
  • Tom_Servo 5 Dec 2012 08:43:21 17,330 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    As the champions of England, City should be able to compete with the champions of Spain and Germany (and Ajax shouldn't even be an issue for them). To be so far off the pace (am I right in thinking they finished with two points?) is a real damning indictment of the PL, IMO (as well as Mancini).
  • kalel 5 Dec 2012 08:45:43 86,394 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    It was also one of the toughest groups i can ever recall in the history of the champions league.
    Huge overstatement. Real yes, but City should be cruising past teams like Dortmand and Ajax. Good teams yes, but really shouldn't be a threat for City.

Genuinely don't think it was much harder than our group a few years back - Inter (who were CL champions), Bremen (who were as good then as Dortmand are now) and Twente (who had finished about Ajax that season). We won that group.
  • THFourteen 5 Dec 2012 09:28:48 32,870 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dunno, your group had two good teams in it and two rubbish teams.

City's group had four good teams in it.
  • roz123 5 Dec 2012 09:34:33 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So is Rafa Benitez going to be the first manager in history to fail to qualify past the group stages with a team who has just won the champions league? :lol:

I have a good feeling that Shaktar will beat Juve, they are a very, very good team and the players all want to put in great performances so teams from the big leagues come in for them. It would be hilarious if they did and we failed to beat Nordjealland.
  • nickthegun 5 Dec 2012 09:42:38 58,817 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    As the champions of England, City should be able to compete with the champions of Spain and Germany (and Ajax shouldn't even be an issue for them). To be so far off the pace (am I right in thinking they finished with two points?) is a real damning indictment of the PL, IMO (as well as Mancini).
    To be honest, I would expect any of our teams, even arsenal, to have made a better fist of it than city.

They were absolutely woeful, but you cant see united, for example not taking points from dortmund and ajax.

Im not a big fan of sacking managers but even i would give mancini the bullet for not even getting into the europa.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:43:14 05-12-2012

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 5 December 2012 09:44:35
    You think your club failing to get through would be hilarious?

@roz

Edited by Aargh. at 09:44:59 05-12-2012
  • kalel 5 Dec 2012 09:49:10 86,394 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Dunno, your group had two good teams in it and two rubbish teams.

City's group had four good teams in it.
    Did you read my post? That's just not true.
  • roz123 5 Dec 2012 10:01:42 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    You think your club failing to get through would be hilarious?

@roz

Edited by Aargh. at 09:44:59 05-12-2012
    Yep, I hate Rafa, if that happens he would probably get sacked plus I have already started reorganising my thursday nights.
  • fergal_oc 5 Dec 2012 10:01:43 2,763 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    City were pants last night however to say we didn't compete isn't really true is it?

Twice we had the lead in Madrid, we took the lead in Amsterdam, should've killed both games off admittedly yes but hey ho, oh and we didn't lose at home. Surely that's got to be a fair definition of competing? We competed whilst playing decent football for 20mins in Madrid and most of a half in Amsterdam - in 6 games.

Dortmund are a obviously a better team than Madrid given they came top of our group. Don't think United would've qualified given their current defensive frailties, as for Aresenal or Chelsea LOL.
  • nickthegun 5 Dec 2012 10:04:01 58,817 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A fair definition of competing is not finishing bottom of your group with three points and no wins.

He totally called it

• kalel 5 Dec 2012 10:06:09 86,394 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh you took the lead in games that you ultimately didn't win. Big wow.

Bottom of your group and least points in the history of English clubs in the Champions League = not competing in my book.

And I think any of those teams mentioned would have done better, as would have Spurs. It's not about how good your team is, you probably have the best squad in the tournament (as you should). It's the spirit with which you play that counts.
  • fergal_oc 5 Dec 2012 10:08:56 2,763 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So Kalel tell me, what is it about City that you hate so much? Sit down on the sofa, put your head back and just let it flow...

Edited by fergal_oc at 10:09:10 05-12-2012
  • kalel 5 Dec 2012 10:11:37 86,394 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The nouveau myopic fans mostly.
  • roz123 5 Dec 2012 10:12:04 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I liked it when Ajax short skillfull players kept scoring from corners, that had nothing to do with the pace of European football
  • nickthegun 5 Dec 2012 10:13:43 58,817 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its nothing specifically against city, its just that you would expect the english harlem globetrotters to be able to to at least make it to channel five in the new year.

He totally called it

• fergal_oc 5 Dec 2012 10:16:37 2,763 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The nouveau myopic fans mostly.
    Ooo posh!

I don't think any proper City fan is shortsighted. In fact I think it's the opposite that's annoying you.
  • kalel 5 Dec 2012 10:18:05 86,394 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To be honest, when I don't like about City, and what I don't like about you are quite different things.

Not very nice I know, but you did ask.
  • fergal_oc 5 Dec 2012 10:20:19 2,763 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm always happy to receive constructive criticism, so be my guest.
  • RedSparrows 5 Dec 2012 10:21:58 22,061 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hate you all. Does that help anyone?
  • Page

of 670 First / Last