Champions League Page 452

• Page

of 687 First / Last

• Deleted user 21 November 2012 21:49:06
    Good game that, time to concentrate on the league etc etc :)
  • QotSAfan 21 Nov 2012 21:51:17 1,693 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder Island mentality isn't it! If you think it is bad for the Brits, try being an Irishman. Insular mentality and 800 years of apparent oppression leads to us rating every player as rubbish, especially that Messi chap!
  • reddevil93 21 Nov 2012 21:51:31 11,732 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Probably no Europa League either. Dortmund a tough tie regardless but with United the following weekend I'd imagine Mancini will send a very weak squad(well, as weak as is possible).

• ecureuil 21 Nov 2012 21:52:08 76,807 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Need a goal to stay in a competition? That's right, swap Aguero for Milner!
    That's from the Benitez school of management. Something for Chelsea fans to look forward to.
  • reddevil93 21 Nov 2012 21:52:51 11,732 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    QotSAfan wrote:
    @The-Bodybuilder Island mentality isn't it! If you think it is bad for the Brits, try being an Irishman. Insular mentality and 800 years of apparent oppression leads to us rating every player as rubbish, especially that Messi chap!
    So true, not until Dunphy gave the go-ahead after the 08 CL final did people rate Ronaldo..

• Deleted user 21 November 2012 21:53:44
    reddevil93 wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Probably no Europa League either. Dortmund a tough tie regardless but with United the following weekend I'd imagine Mancini will send a very weak squad(well, as weak as is possible).
    Yeah. Waste of time anyway. What are the potential cl games now?
  • ecureuil 21 Nov 2012 21:55:55 76,807 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All the teams that are second in the group would make for a tasty fixture against Utd. Milan, Madrid, Juve, PSG, Arsenal.. Probably won't all stay that way though.
  • Dougs 21 Nov 2012 21:57:01 67,691 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can't play us yet....
  • ecureuil 21 Nov 2012 21:59:50 76,807 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh right, yeah.
  • reddevil93 21 Nov 2012 22:01:52 11,732 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    @QotSAfan Indeed.
    Pep has nothing to prove. Its like when brits would just recycle the whole "ibra is overrated" even though they probably only ever saw him play against a PL team.
    until of course his goal last week,
    He would have something to prove if he took a job in a different league. No one's saying he isn't an excellent manager but he was given absolutely everything he needed to succeed at Barca, inherited 3 of the best players in the world, an unbelievable academy with players coming in who knew how to play in his side.

What other manager in the world has had the luxury of knowing everything about the club, their players and it's style of play in their first season there? He would need a lot more time in another club.

He's also had quite a few failings in the transfer market, Ibra and Chygrynskiy being the obvious ones.

• SuperCoolEskimo 21 Nov 2012 22:04:40 9,822 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good performance, stunning goal by Poldi, CL knockout football yet again, 13 years in a row. Reckon we'll rest some players for the last game and hope we get a favourable draw against some of the group winners. I fancy our chances against anyone apart from Barca from the current group leaders.

Can't see City getting anything in Dortmund, which gives them a free run at the PL so they've got to be favourites for that IMO.
  • QotSAfan 21 Nov 2012 22:04:54 1,693 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    QotSAfan wrote:
    So true, not until Dunphy gave the go-ahead after the 08 CL final did people rate Ronaldo..
    Hahaha indeed. Dunphy is some man alright. I still remember him describing Ronaldo at his Utd peak as a cancer that is spreading though the team. Great entertainment from the RTE pundits though! Although I would love it if they just permanently replaced them all with the Apres Match lads.
  • elstoof 21 Nov 2012 22:05:17 7,317 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All that cash spent to get knocked out with a game to go. Must be hard to see Arsenal through when they don't even buy brand name toilet paper for the boardroom WC.
  • reddevil93 21 Nov 2012 22:06:07 11,732 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    All the teams that are second in the group would make for a tasty fixture against Utd. Milan, Madrid, Juve, PSG, Arsenal.. Probably won't all stay that way though.
    Milan and Real are confirmed 2nd based on their H2Hs I think. Juve would have to beat Shaktar away which I can't see happening. Celtic would be a decent tie too. Valencia and Bayern both would be tasty.

• QotSAfan 21 Nov 2012 22:09:08 1,693 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    @QotSAfan Indeed.
    Pep has nothing to prove. Its like when brits would just recycle the whole "ibra is overrated" even though they probably only ever saw him play against a PL team.
    until of course his goal last week,
    He would have something to prove if he took a job in a different league. No one's saying he isn't an excellent manager but he was given absolutely everything he needed to succeed at Barca, inherited 3 of the best players in the world, an unbelievable academy with players coming in who knew how to play in his side.

What other manager in the world has had the luxury of knowing everything about the club, their players and it's style of play in their first season there? He would need a lot more time in another club.

He's also had quite a few failings in the transfer market, Ibra and Chygrynskiy being the obvious ones.
    Ibra wasn't even a failing really, more a personal fallout between them that soured that arrangement. He was playing well up till then. I think the biggest challenge for Pep is if he does go to Chelsea, the lack of control over certain aspects of the team. Otherwise he would fit in at any other club really. United or Arsenal would be perfect for him.
  • reddevil93 21 Nov 2012 22:12:32 11,732 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh I'd agree Ibra performed a hell of a lot better than the media would have you believe but he surely never should've signed Ibra if he didn't know how he would fit him and Messi in the same team.

The 40m loss on him was more down to Guardiola's failings than Ibra which is what I should've said.

• kentmonkey 21 Nov 2012 22:14:05 20,683 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ibra wasn't a failure. Having family in Barcelona, who are season ticket holders, and someone involved (very loosely) with the club, can only echo what QotSAfan said.

If you mean 'he didn't live up to his hype' then possibly, yes. But he pretty much hasn't wherever he's gone. He's a hot and cold player - he is never WC every game like the very, very best are. He can be, but he can also be frustrating. That's why some don't rate him, as they may only catch him in 2-3 games a year and he can be average at best in those, but when he's on he's on. As good as any about.

Essentially he wasn't the 'Barca' type of player as he didn't take part in the 'press the shit out of the oppo for 7 seconds' rule and was quite lazzy, which therefore meant his face didn't fit. But he still scored plenty of goals, and some important ones, and also helped the team greatly in terms of creating goals.

EDIT: Just seen your latest post after I posted this.

Edited by kentmonkey at 22:14:59 21-11-2012
  • kentmonkey 21 Nov 2012 22:17:46 20,683 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They wanted Eto out as well. Big time. And not many could afford Eto's salary, so Ibra ended up being a way of replacing Eto with another quality player, with the brand that the fans could buy in to, and got Eto off the books.

It was an all round odd transfer, but not one, as far as I am aware, that Guardiola was in full control of or fully behind.
  • reddevil93 21 Nov 2012 22:19:41 11,732 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    They wanted Eto out as well. Big time. And not many could afford Eto's salary, so Ibra ended up being a way of replacing Eto with another quality player, with the brand that the fans could buy in to, and got Eto off the books.

It was an all round odd transfer, but not one, as far as I am aware, that Guardiola was in full control of or fully behind.
    Fair enough if that last bit is true, as Ibra said "You don't buy a Ferrari and drive it like a Fiat. :)

• kentmonkey 21 Nov 2012 22:23:21 20,683 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Indeed! The reverse is Nicklas Bendtner.
  • Jono62 21 Nov 2012 22:41:08 14,119 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Chelsea can still qualify if Juve lose at Shaktar and they win.

Edited by Jono62 at 22:43:34 21-11-2012
  • reddevil93 21 Nov 2012 22:44:12 11,732 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Chelsea can still qualify if Juve lose at Shaktar.
    Oh yeah, Marcotti on twitter making me look silly.

• SuperCoolEskimo 21 Nov 2012 22:48:22 9,822 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chelsea/Juve, Galatasaray/Cluj and Celtic/Benfica are still to be decided in their groups.
  • reddevil93 21 Nov 2012 22:55:55 11,732 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All 8 teams from this matchday qualified. No point tuning in Tuesday the 5th Dec. :)

:p

• reddevil93 21 Nov 2012 22:56:11 11,732 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted

• reddevil93 21 Nov 2012 22:56:30 11,732 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted

• reddevil93 21 Nov 2012 22:57:35 11,732 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fix

• fergal_oc 22 Nov 2012 13:35:16 2,763 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Enjoyed the game last night even if the result wasn't very good. Thought Silva had a great game and the atmosphere definitely improved after we scored. Hearing everyone sing Mancini was excellent.

Still enjoying all the usual comments about us being knocked out in the group stages, personally I'm disappointed but not distraught. We were never going to win it this year anyway and as a group need to learn to hold on to leads against good opposition - Ajax and RM away as good examples.

But with that said it was great to see RM close up, they really do play with a lot of pace, something City could learn a little from. I bet there's quite a few teams topping their groups that now wish they hadn't although I imagine no one wants to play Dortmund either.
  • kalel 22 Nov 2012 13:38:32 87,629 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why were you never going to win it this year? What more do you need to do to win it? Another half billion perhaps?
  • SuperCoolEskimo 22 Nov 2012 13:55:24 9,822 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nothing against City but it pisses me off no end seeing the papers continue to do their sympathy routine for City like they're some lowly minnows with barely two pennies to scratch together who gave it their best shot and got unlucky.
  • Page

of 687 First / Last