Champions League Page 423

• Page

of 716 First / Last

• Latin 20 Sep 2012 10:38:10 3,827 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And he's younger, doesn't speak the language and sells a shit load more shirts!

Edit: Referring to Kagawa vs Dembele

Edited by Latin at 10:38:48 20-09-2012
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 10:45:10
    He's not much younger. Still, as long as he sells more shirts, that's what wins you medals.
  • mcmonkeyplc 20 Sep 2012 10:46:50 39,570 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shirts = Money

As Chelsea and Man City have shown:

Money = Wins

So yeah. :)

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 10:47:01 20-09-2012

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 10:47:16 20-09-2012

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Deleted user 20 September 2012 10:47:26
    He's played 3 games in a new league with a team adjusting to a new system. He'll be fine.
  • Latin 20 Sep 2012 10:52:21 3,827 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kalel True only 1 1/2 years so not much.

IMO Dembele wouldn't help us to win medals any more than Kagawa will. Some people were saying when Spurs bought Palacios that we should have signed him... He's now at Stoke.

I'm not saying the same will happen to Dembele but I think he's getting way too much hype.

Edit: Talking of hype, same goes for our players as well! Cleverly and Welbeck especially! Can see it happening to Powell already.

Edited by Latin at 10:54:15 20-09-2012
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 10:54:36
    Yeah I'd say it's unlikely that Dembele's brother will be kidnapped and murdered completely crushing him and ruining his career.
  • ecu 20 Sep 2012 10:56:38 77,338 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can both be good?

Anyway, I do think it's far to early for a comparison. Try this one again in March I reckon.

Edited by ecureuil at 10:56:45 20-09-2012
  • Latin 20 Sep 2012 10:57:30 3,827 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kalel Well, I didn't know that happened, so I guess not.

Point is that I don't think he's any better for our hopes of medals than Kagawa.
  • ecu 20 Sep 2012 11:00:28 77,338 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Personally I think Dembele is quality and would have really improved our squad this season. He's technically very good but also a beast of a player to match, which is something our midfield has desperately needed for a while now. It's annoying to think we probably could have got him for a relative pittance in a Berbatov + cash deal, but we've lost out on better players over the years so I'm not losing any sleep over it.
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 11:02:02
    Think that's my point really. Seems a missed trick by United there.
  • Latin 20 Sep 2012 11:09:23 3,827 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Problem is that he is a very good player but we have loads of centre mids: Scholes, Carrick, Cleverly, Anderson, Fletcher, Powell with Giggs and Jones (think that's where he will be long term) in the mix as well.

Even considering two of them are going to retire at the end of the season, that still leaves 5/6 players for 2 positions, 4 of them young.

They might all turn out to be worse than Dembele but how much worse? Is it worth paying the money for him or getting a player to help our play up front (Kagawa)? We don't know the answer yet.

I'm sure Fergie considered it, but we're stocked at midifield. Even if they're all rubbish!
  • roz123 20 Sep 2012 11:17:59 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm not sure Dembele would be great for United, everytime I have seen him play he seems like he would rather take on two players rather then pass it 30-40 yards to someone in space. He has a lot of skill and strength to get away with it but I think he could be frustrating to watch.
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 11:22:39
    Latin wrote:
    Problem is that he is a very good player but we have loads of centre mids: Scholes, Carrick, Cleverly, Anderson, Fletcher, Powell with Giggs and Jones (think that's where he will be long term) in the mix as well.

Even considering two of them are going to retire at the end of the season, that still leaves 5/6 players for 2 positions, 4 of them young.

They might all turn out to be worse than Dembele but how much worse? Is it worth paying the money for him or getting a player to help our play up front (Kagawa)? We don't know the answer yet.

I'm sure Fergie considered it, but we're stocked at midifield. Even if they're all rubbish!
    Think Dembele isn't quite the player you think he is. He's sort of a hybrid of a central and an attacking midfielder. He is more or less playing the role Scholes used to, which is the role you now have Kagawa doing (more or less - no two players are exactly the same so no two players do exactly the same role, but I'd say Dembele is definitely more comparable to Kagawa than Carrick or Fletcher).
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 11:24:40
    roz123 wrote:
    I'm not sure Dembele would be great for United, everytime I have seen him play he seems like he would rather take on two players rather then pass it 30-40 yards to someone in space. He has a lot of skill and strength to get away with it but I think he could be frustrating to watch.
    Probably fair, although I find the glory-ballers far more frustrating to watch than someone who effortlessly glides past players like Dembele does.
  • IMO 20 Sep 2012 11:24:50 5,750 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Damn you Pique. Damn you.
  • Latin 20 Sep 2012 11:30:30 3,827 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kalel Well for Fulham last season he was very much playing in the central midfield role whenever I've seen him play, and generally that's where a lot of Utd fans would have liked him to play.

I'm sure he could play as a more attacking player, but if it's just behind the front striker as the playmaker, I'd have kagawa based on his scoring record in Germany and his creativity he's shown in glimpses already. Of course Rooney behind Van Persie when fit is a no brainer.
  • ElNuevo9 20 Sep 2012 11:31:55 13,608 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't really think we know ho to use Kagawa yet, don't think we've ever had a player like him really. It'll take time and we'll have to persist, but he was instrumental to Dortmund. Plenty goals and plenty assits.

Think comparing Dembele and Kagawa is harsh, I think Dembele is more comparable to Anderson, only not as good. JOKE!

RvP was the biggest disappointment for me lasr night, his distribution was pretty poor and there were a few times he dithered when you'd have expected him to pill the trigger on his left foot.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Deleted user 20 September 2012 11:33:35
    Kagawa seems to like to hover 5 yards either side of the striker.
  • Latin 20 Sep 2012 11:37:15 3,827 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:

RvP was the biggest disappointment for me lasr night, his distribution was pretty poor and there were a few times he dithered when you'd have expected him to pill the trigger on his left foot.
    Yeah, I think he's still unsure as to whether he can just hog the ball and smash it as much as he likes! Trying to involve the rest of the team a bit more than we want him to. Just hit it!
  • ElNuevo9 20 Sep 2012 12:08:00 13,608 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Think all the Nani criticism was harsh too, he's always going to be a player that frustrates, Rooney and Ronaldo do to a lesser extent. He was poor first half but he was decent second half, created at least 3 clear cut chances for others. Can't for the life of me believe me why some section ofour fans want him gone. The lad wants to stay, he's made it clear. In the past 3 years combined he leads the assist charts and has score 25 plus goals, I'd be devastated if we lost him. He's a match winner and there aren't too many of those about at the moment.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Latin 20 Sep 2012 12:20:59 3,827 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's better than Young, that's for sure!

Valencia's crossing was shocking yesterday, no idea why, he's normally reliable.
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 12:21:54
    Yep, it would be stupid if we got rid of him. He just seems to be lacking confidence at the minute and trying to prove too much. That's why I think he ran to take the penalty yesterday.
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 12:27:06
    He's less frustrating than Luis Figo at Madrid. Wingers add to the team in other ways, drawing players towards them and creating space etc.

Spanish teams seem to value these types of players more.
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 12:36:25
    Nani will never shake his "budget Ronaldo" label.
  • oceanmotion 20 Sep 2012 12:42:59 16,129 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Think what I find most frustrating is his crossing, he can't even do the basics right most of the time, same with corners. That must infuriate Fergie and the players. You can see why Valencia is so liked, it is like night and day when it comes to those qualities.

Can't deny Nani is talented and has assists and goals to prove it but there is always a question mark and doubt with him that shouldn't be there after all this time. Consistency, wasteful, who knows. Better than Young at least, does anyone think that was a good buy?
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 12:50:43
    Young, for me, isn't a super top player for the same reason Defoe isn't. I mean supremely talented but his form fluctuates depending on his confidence.

2 cents fwiw.
  • Latin 20 Sep 2012 12:53:48 3,827 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Young is alright, too predictable thought, always always cuts in onto his right and too often just passes it to evra. It can be effective and he does score some good goals cutting in but he doesn't beat the man enough for my liking.

However, he's so weak and a shameless diver so I'm not his biggest fan!
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 12:57:04
    Young for me always seemed like a second tier player - Spurs, Newcastle, Everton kind of level. Never thought of him as Man U standard.
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 12:58:45
    Yeh I think that too.
  • ecu 20 Sep 2012 13:01:52 77,338 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Young is a decent backup. We've had far worse squad players than him over the years. When he's in form he's a very good player, he'll get goals and assists and dodgy penalties. When he's out of form, we have great alternatives.
  • Page

of 716 First / Last