Luther - BBC

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Tricky 4 May 2010 22:10:34 4,371 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone see this tonight. Bloody promising start to a series, I thought. The whole cast was good, especially the always reliable Mr Elba

Anyone recognise the music playing over the end bit?
  • Dougs 4 May 2010 22:15:58 67,049 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sky+ it, always willing to give String a go!
  • otto Moderator 4 May 2010 22:16:50 49,290 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aww crap I missed it. iPlayer time.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Phattso Moderator 4 May 2010 22:21:19 13,261 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This was one of the increasingly rare times when I actually watched broadcast television. I love Elba anyway, and I do have a soft spot for procedural drama (even if this, thankfully, doesn't appear to be playing by the numbers), but thoroughly enjoyed this.

Not likely to change the world, but it was entertaining.
  • StixxUK 4 May 2010 22:33:52 7,242 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lolther

Sorry.

I thought it was watchable, but I wouldn't be particularly upset if I missed an ep (not that that's really possible in this day and age anyway).

Did anyone else think the baddie looked disturbingly like Michael Jackson when she was wearing the dark wig and sticking the pointy thing in Zoe's ear?

edit: And the soundtrack was, as they say, aces.
  • tombo 4 May 2010 23:27:04 2,099 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Lolther

Sorry.

I thought it was watchable, but I wouldn't be particularly upset if I missed an ep (not that that's really possible in this day and age anyway).

Did anyone else think the baddie looked disturbingly like Michael Jackson when she was wearing the dark wig and sticking the pointy thing in Zoe's ear?

edit: And the soundtrack was, as they say, aces.

I pretty much agree - and the MJ thing too!

It was pretty cliched I thought. When he was round his wife's house and heard some bad news: 3 seconds before I said "so, we get to find out whether he's a rational kind of guy, or whether he breaks things...".

His boss was awfully predictable.

But big 'Dris was pretty good.
  • Tomo 4 May 2010 23:29:21 13,886 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oooooo, definitely need to watch this. Thanks for reminder!
  • Tricky 4 May 2010 23:34:51 4,371 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Answered my own question about the music at the end:

Emiliana Torrini - Gun

Great track.
  • otto Moderator 5 May 2010 00:17:17 49,290 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Very corny opening. The dark and brooding detective, at the scene of his insubordination, fighting his inner demons, his boss just so happens to find him there at the top of some industrial scaffolding, reinstates him, he immediately jumps into a car with his adoring sidekick and starts firing off questions about this new case... Christ, how do these writers get away with it?

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• woodnotes 6 May 2010 10:46:28 4,923 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought it was OK but suffered from the usual "British" production values.

We just don't know how to direct action in this country either. I almost laughed when he was kicking the door, just seemed so unnatural and over-acted.

In fact, I thought the only decent thing about this first episode was the actress portraying the crazy woman, not Idris.

I think Spooks does (or did) action better and Waking the Dead does crime drama better. Other than that, I'd rather watch some US stuff.

EDIT: I think my other issue with UK drama is the 'local' accents. When that East-end sounding woman turned up in Luther, it just felt like an episode of Eastenders. Weird.

EDIT 2: I know, I'm crazy.
  • President_Weasel 6 May 2010 12:11:41 9,142 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'll be watching next week, seems like a decent police drama; better than TREVOR SHOUTY EVE SHOUTING ALL THE TIME in that shouty Trevor Eve one anyway.

That's twice now that Indira Varna has been shagging around behind the protagonist's back - once in this, although they were separated, and once in Rome. Also didn;t she turn out to be a baddie in Torchwood in one of the three episodes before I realised it was utter shit and stopped wathcing it forever?
    She was definitely a baddie in hustle as well.
  • otto Moderator 11 May 2010 22:01:47 49,290 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    God it's rubbish isn't it? Having Idris Elba in it just hammers home how much worse UK drama writing is than US flava.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Phattso Moderator 11 May 2010 22:09:34 13,261 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck you haters to death - it's cheesy, but I like it. :)
  • Trowel 11 May 2010 22:13:37 17,541 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't watch it, every advert makes me think it's a Steve Coogan parody.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 May 2010 22:18:56 23,789 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like it. Idris Elba is fantastic to watch.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• DocX 12 May 2010 11:26:35 1,963 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's daft, but I like it.
  • Venkman90 12 May 2010 11:28:15 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I liked the intro, but it went downhill from there, and yes the girl from the first one was so OTT it wasn't funny.

They got Idris in to try and grab some of the "Wire credibility" but he seems a little mis cast to me.
  • woodnotes 12 May 2010 11:38:51 4,923 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    otto wrote:
    God it's rubbish isn't it? Having Idris Elba in it just hammers home how much worse UK drama writing is than US flava.
    This. Not to mention the direction.

But, thinking back, Cracker was awesome and extremely well written and acted. Shame we've not seen much (or anything) of that ilk from this country since.
  • otto Moderator 12 May 2010 13:10:39 49,290 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Watching Luther and the Wire back to back is like listening to James Brown back to back with Peter André. The actors in Luther look and sound like AC-TORS instead of real people.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• otto Moderator 18 May 2010 21:23:33 49,290 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How is it in these programmes the cops always have houses and cars that only a hedge fund manager could afford to own?

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Phattso Moderator 18 May 2010 22:04:37 13,261 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You're spoiling this for me, Otto. The only thing I turn my cable TV box on for now is the F1 and Luther. :)

It's shit - but it's my kind of shit. You don't get to share in this shit, your shit isn't cool enough for this shit, ya dig?
  • azurelas_2 19 May 2010 15:30:16 1,111 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not very good, but I'm ghey for Stringer Bell, so it's fucking brilliant. I've only just watched the first episode though, it could get even worse...
  • Deleted user 2 June 2010 10:14:19
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    Man they are desperate to show Luther is a "troubled" man, they make him smash something every episode. He is full of RAGE! Grr! SMASH!.

It works for professional wrestlers and, dude, they're professionals.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous