Steam for Linux Page 4

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• disusedgenius 25 Apr 2012 18:42:31 5,514 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pfft! If I can't run it from the command line it's not worth running...
  • StooMonster 25 Apr 2012 18:52:02 19 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I don't get the bother really, if you want to play games, use windows or buy a console, it's not really rocket science.
    From the article it looks like Gabe Newell expressed “stunning negativity” for Windows 8 and the future of Microsoft; he's worried about the future of gaming on Win8, and the Steam platform too I would imagine. It says the Newell (an ex Microsoft millionaire) spoke at length about the benefits of Linux and could be "the director of the Linux Foundation" as he was so positive.

There's some interesting snippets on the Phoronix IRC log:

[21:34:25] i'm interested to hear about the stuff besides just source/steam client
    [21:35:23] birch: I think I'll resist commenting on that for now
    [21:35:48] how was your tour of valve?
    [21:35:57] no problem, still interesting to hears other things are on the horizon, seems like rumors might actually be true
    [21:36:06] tour? The tour took 5 minutes.... the Linux stuff took 6 hours.
    [21:36:27] the 'rumors' for Linux on Valve are so tame compared to their grand plans
    [21:37:03] that is wonderful that they are really taking linux seriously
    [21:37:23] it was amazing....
    [21:37:44] Gabe was bashing Windows harder than I even do normally..... hell I'm trying out Windows 8 soon as I get back to my office as I want to see if it's as bad as he says
    [21:38:38] wow
    [21:38:50] that is pretty amazing
    the 'rumors' for Linux on Valve are so tame compared to their grand plans, what could mean what I wonder?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37262600&postcount=1

Edited by StooMonster at 18:54:37 25-04-2012

Online since 1984

• Deleted user 25 April 2012 22:13:35
    SteamOS.
  • bad09 25 Apr 2012 22:35:03 6,206 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    StooMonster wrote:
    From the article it looks like Gabe Newell expressed “stunning negativity” for Windows 8 and the future of Microsoft; he's worried about the future of gaming on Win8, and the Steam platform too I would imagine.
    I must admit that part of this news raised an eyebrow for me, we all know the word is W8 is arse for desktops but to hear Gabe is so negative to it and the direction MS are heading is worrying, even as someone who has never used linux I find myself hoping this may move eventually stop the need for windows in gaming.
  • Dirtbox 25 Apr 2012 22:39:35 78,772 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    SteamOS.
    Chrome, Chrome OS and Steam are all based on webkit so it's hardly a long stretch and it's been rumoured loads in the past. I can't see them dropping windows though, just using it as a push to explore another direction.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• dominalien 25 Apr 2012 22:44:35 7,027 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    StooMonster wrote:
    From the article it looks like Gabe Newell expressed “stunning negativity” for Windows 8 and the future of Microsoft; he's worried about the future of gaming on Win8, and the Steam platform too I would imagine.
    I must admit that part of this news raised an eyebrow for me, we all know the word is W8 is arse for desktops but to hear Gabe is so negative to it and the direction MS are heading is worrying, even as someone who has never used linux I find myself hoping this may move eventually stop the need for windows in gaming.
    Yes, this was very surprising. Especially as MS is so well entrenched with the Windows/Office combo no-one would even consider switching to other systems, as the whole Vista "debacle" shows (in quotes, since it really wasn't a debacle of any magnitude, any way you look at it).

I have no idea what they would have to do to make the general population (business or home) turn away from them. As far as I can tell, the consensus is if it's from Microsoft, it's the "official" way it should be and is automatically accepted.

PSN: DonOsito

• bad09 25 Apr 2012 23:09:48 6,206 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dominalien wrote:

Yes, this was very surprising. Especially as MS is so well entrenched with the Windows/Office combo no-one would even consider switching to other systems, as the whole Vista "debacle" shows (in quotes, since it really wasn't a debacle of any magnitude, any way you look at it).

I have no idea what they would have to do to make the general population (business or home) turn away from them. As far as I can tell, the consensus is if it's from Microsoft, it's the "official" way it should be and is automatically accepted.
    You are right it would be almost impossible it seems to break the hold MS have but shoving crap like live into the actual operating system is something that will piss people off, no one likes GFWL now imagine the hate with it actually in the OS all with those godawful 360 avatars.

In terms of gaming at least I would imagine many would be happy to offload Windows if you could run games on other OS. For now we at least have an XP situation where we have the good W7 to rely on but if W8 is a shift in their direction in terms of how gaming is handled on their OS then even following OS might be as bad (or worse!), by that time if games are running on linux thanks to support built up by the likes of Steam you'll see many jump I reckon.

Edited by bad09 at 23:10:56 25-04-2012
  • dominalien 25 Apr 2012 23:15:05 7,027 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, various companies have done that and worse to themselves over the years. It's enough to look at IBM, Novell, Sun, even HP to a (much) lesser degree. We'll have to wait and see.

The problem with Linux is that it lacks a clear direction. Enthusiasm will only get you so far.

Edited by dominalien at 23:15:59 25-04-2012

• mal 25 Apr 2012 23:19:37 22,787 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I dunno, it's a long while since XP. Vista took an awfully long time to overtake XP on installed machines. While Win7 clawed some of that back I dunno how many it's won back from those who went to Ubuntu and Mint during the years waiting for Win7. And reception thus far has not been at all positive for Win8.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• mal 25 Apr 2012 23:23:08 22,787 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    The problem with Linux is that it lacks a clear direction. Enthusiasm will only get you so far.
    It's got too many directions, that's all. Ubuntu gave it one particular focus. Android developed on top of it and gave it even more of a focus. While Android doesn't have the focus of iOS, google is a famously nebulous company, and doesn't have especially clear focus itself. But a company like Valve on the other hand...

• bad09 25 Apr 2012 23:40:13 6,206 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmmm, glancing at the steam thread on this it seems linux is on the gaming assault today, Ubuntu has some "big publisher" news soon as well. Maybe W8 really is that bad :)

https://twitter.com/#!/michaellarabel/status/195229110472151041
  • Sharzam 25 Apr 2012 23:55:27 3,167 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I used to have Ubuntu on my laptop for no other reason than i wanted to fiddle/try it out, and i had a main windows based desktop anyway.

It didnt seam as easy to navigate as Windows however that's probably from years of being ingrained into the Microsoft way of doing things. Personally i would welcome a full shift to Linux for gaming because if nothing else would give us more options. But that will never ever happen as at the moment Direct X is part of the main development cycle.

A few years ago there was a steady transition to Open GL standards because id techs was mainly used. But as the Xbox has become more popular it makes a lot of fincial sense to focus on Direct X for easy porting back and forth between console and PC. I do know Valve were developing a full Linux client for steam before they did the Mac version. But the project was canned as they wanted to focus on getting the Mac one out of the door but that was a couple years ago.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Dirtbox 26 Apr 2012 00:00:11 78,772 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There will never be a full shift so long as Windows remains the primary OS for common applications. Linux has come a long way in recent years, but it's decades away from replacing Windows.

• Deleted user 26 April 2012 00:03:13
    It's definitely come on leaps and bounds in recent years. I remember the good old days of having to manually fuck about with xf86config in command line and recompiling the kernel just to get graphical acceleration going. And the good old days of dial-up where most modems flat out didn't work because they were soft-modems and no drivers existed. Ah, fun times.

No, wait, the other thing. Painful times.
  • Deleted user 26 April 2012 00:13:57
    Anyway, the problem with Gabe going 'Windows 8 is shit, it's awful, I hate it, who'd ever code for it, wankers that's who' or whatever else they're paraphrasing - he said the same about the PS3, and now they're happily in bed with Sony.
  • mal 26 Apr 2012 00:14:08 22,787 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep. Yesterday I had to tether my phone with my Debian netbook over bluetooth, and I just had to pair the phone in the bluetooth config then tick 'Use Internet (DUN)', then enter the access point name and bingo, I'm posting this now.

• grey_matters 26 Apr 2012 00:19:33 3,859 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder how many people would switch (or switch to dual-boot anyway) if there was a concurrent SteamOS and HL3 release with normal channels only following afterwards. I'm not sure why I like the idea so much, probably just a general shake-up sounds attractive.
  • Dirtbox 26 Apr 2012 00:28:02 78,772 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not many.

• Deleted user 26 April 2012 00:33:18
    Yeah, as much as I like Linux there really isn't a nice way into it. Ubuntu might smooth off the rough edges but you only have to start googling around for help/support to see that the barrier is way too high to do on your own (well... unless you have the time/inclination).

But fuck it: I want it, and that's all that matters.
  • Dirtbox 26 Apr 2012 06:02:39 78,772 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think it's pretty clear that while there will be a steam for linux, it's more likely to be the byproduct of a more focussed steam OS that runs the nix kernel. Chances of them dropping windows because of 8 is zilch seeing as 90% of the steam catalogue will never work on anything else.

Interesting times ahead anyway. Raspberry Pi running steam will be interesting, but they'd need to alter the binaries to run on an arm processor.

Edited by Dirtbox at 06:07:13 26-04-2012

• grey_matters 26 Apr 2012 06:34:07 3,859 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah very interesting times. Hopefully it will happen in a reasonably short timeframe but with Valve you can never know. I'm liking the notion of an ARM version too, especially if the rumours of a genuine Ubuntu PhoneOS are true (and not just a development of that Android thing they showed a while back). A SteamPhone with HDMI might be a nice thing.
  • Dirtbox 26 Apr 2012 06:40:28 78,772 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Valve time is a law unto itself. Dota 2 was a bit of a bizarre one though as it happened quite quickly and turned out an incredibly polished game in relatively no time. Alien Swarm as well.

• warlockuk 26 Apr 2012 08:49:35 19,212 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @StooMonster ah right, I misread :D

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• petarceliocega 26 Apr 2012 23:25:09 2 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • petarceliocega 26 Apr 2012 23:28:57 2 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Steam on linux is great news. I use Fedora as my primary OS for years now, Windows usually just for games. Since most (if not all) of Valve's games will probably be launched for Mac (alongside Windows) in the future, I guess porting them to Linux will not be such a big deal like it used to be.
  • dominalien 26 Apr 2012 23:31:37 7,027 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What is wrong with you?

• Hexagon 1 May 2012 17:55:22 352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    10s of millions and no other decent games provider. I think they've seen the ipod and android app stores and thought "we'll have a piece of that please"
    Well, there is Desura and Kickstarter is helping the Linux gaming scene as well. Don't forget about those two!

GOG for Linux!

• Hexagon 1 May 2012 17:57:10 352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Stop-gap wrote:
    Well no because all iPod/Pads are a closed system which can be expected to be identical. That's nice and easy to get to grips with.

Linux has dozens of distros in hundreds of configs, and correct me if I'm wrong, but that means a LOT of extra work to get the steam client working on more than a few of them, let alone any games.
    I hear that every time the subject comes up but if all the indie lads and lasses can do it, then why wouldn't the big players be able to as well?

GOG for Linux!

• Hexagon 1 May 2012 18:03:01 352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    2dboy (makers of World of Goo) I think outsourced development of Linux versions, but had nice things to say about Linux sales of their game
    Very true.

2D Boy wrote:
    Update 4: It’s only been 2 days since the release of the Linux version and it already accounts for 4.6% of the full downloads from our website. Our thanks to everyone who’s playing the game on Linux and spreading the word. Here are a couple of nifty stats:

About 12% of Linux downloads are of the .rpm package, 30% are of the .tar.gz package, and 57% are of the .deb package.

More copies of the game were sold via our website on the day the Linux version released than any other day. This day beat the previous record by 40%. There is a market for Linux games after all :)
    Edited by Hexagon at 18:03:22 01-05-2012

GOG for Linux!

• Hexagon 1 May 2012 18:04:46 352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Ginger wrote:
    Also, if Valve go for the most popular linux distro (ubuntu) and it works, then interested people will move over.
    Windows works. Why don't they just move to that?
    Gabe really doesn't like Windows 8 according to the sources.

GOG for Linux!

• Page

of 10 First / Last