Steam for Linux Page 3

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Fubdub 6 May 2010 05:19:24 270 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You don't need directX, but you do need something that works out of the box. The problem with Linux and gaming at the moment, is that, especially for sound. There are several different de-facto standards that are in use by various distros. A game would need to take all these into account. It would be nice if Steam could provide some kinda of framework for this.

Sound is the only one that springs to mind. There are others, like compiz might conflict with 3d stuff so there ought to be an easy way to disable it (there is I believe, but whether it can be done by other applications I'm not sure about), but nothing major. GFX is fine on Linux, OpenGL is very capable, standard input will also work.
  • dominalien 10 May 2010 11:16:10 7,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This should make dirtbox very happy:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_windows_part3&num=1

PSN: DonOsito

• Dirtbox 10 May 2010 11:58:21 79,216 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why on earth would that make me happy? It's a little surprising perhaps, but beating off over benchmarks was never my thing.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• dominalien 10 May 2010 12:17:27 7,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Actually, I don't think it's surprising at all. And it should make you happy because Windows 7 looks like a solid product and that's another proof.

• Dirtbox 10 May 2010 12:32:46 79,216 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not really, I just go for whatever is best for the given task at that time, I don't do brand loyalty. However I do troll those that do, so you'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise.

• dominalien 10 May 2010 13:18:33 7,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thank you. I shall give your trolling the benefit of the doubt next time :-P

• FooAtari 11 May 2010 20:50:57 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Interesting article on Mac and Linux gaming

Basically argues that Mac and Linux are profitable platforms of gaming.
  • dominalien 12 May 2010 16:37:05 7,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's official

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_steam_announcement&num=1

• Deleted user 12 May 2010 20:55:43
    So far it's only one sentence in an Telegraph article.
    Valve has also confirmed that it will make Steam available to Linux users in the coming months.
    Very interested how Valve will implement this in regard to distributions.
  • dominalien 12 May 2010 21:20:07 7,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They have a few options... distro-specific packages down to statically linked tar.gz.

I'm not expecting many problems. Would be great if they released it with a license that would encourage distros to provide it in official repositories. I'm not even beginning to hope for inclusion in a default installation ;-)

• Deleted user 12 May 2010 21:29:35
    Well I expect it to work in most distributions with a bit of fiddling, but I'm curious if they announce 100% supported distributions. Basically Ubuntu, maybe Fedora.
  • dominalien 12 Dec 2010 10:57:28 7,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And now for some other news:

Linux is a better gaming platform than the Mac.

• Dirtbox 12 Dec 2010 11:25:14 79,216 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was thinking that it would almost entirely be down to drivers, but I'm starting to think that OSX is doing it's part in sabotaging the performance in that it's more memory and processor heavy because it's designed for multitasking over running quietly in the background while focussing resources on a single app.

Also they've found a way to get DX11 onto linux with a view to playing the most recent games through wine, so that should be interesting.

• Pirotic Moderator 12 Dec 2010 11:30:41 20,647 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's just an OpenGL driver issue, prior to Valve kicking up a fuss when Steam games ran like crap, apple never really gave much concern to gaming performance and many of the drivers were a couple of years out of date.
  • dominalien 12 Dec 2010 11:35:31 7,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The reason is actually irrelevant, even more so in the case of Apple, as there's no way of going around their official approved driver updates.

Even with Valve having kicked up a fuss and Apple having released new drivers to improve the situation, they still are a couple of years out of date, with the drivers only supporting OpenGL 2.1 in OS X, when they should be supporting at least OGL 3.3, like they do in Linux.

• dominalien 25 Apr 2012 13:02:15 7,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Even more official than it was in 2010:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&num=1

Damn, Valve are slow, aren't they? :-)

• mal 25 Apr 2012 13:22:39 22,842 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm, so it's looking more like generic Linux support now and less like a Valve console that happens to run Linux. Good news, I guess.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• warlockuk 25 Apr 2012 14:58:16 19,223 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Interesting. /business with beard
    My current dev machine is leaning towards Linux at the moment so this could be quite cool for downtime + procrastination :)

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• StooMonster 25 Apr 2012 15:18:12 19 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My theory is that Steam Box runs a gaming build of Linux.

A large step towards this would be getting Steam and Source games running on Linux platform. The first step was getting these working on Apple's Unix platform OS X, it gave experience of non-Windows solution.

Edited by StooMonster at 15:20:51 25-04-2012

Online since 1984

• disusedgenius 25 Apr 2012 15:37:03 5,625 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Now all I need is for Blizzard to release SCII for Linux and I can say goodbye to having to update GRUB all the time to load windows by default...
  • warlockuk 25 Apr 2012 16:15:49 19,223 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StooMonster wrote:
    My theory is that Steam Box runs a gaming build of Linux.

A large step towards this would be getting Steam and Source games running on Linux platform. The first step was getting these working on Apple's Unix platform OS X, it gave experience of non-Windows solution.
    I think that's what they're doing already tbh. I'm not totally sure that running on OSX will make running on Linux better as OSX basically sits on a similar kernel, though 'cos there's more to it than just the kernel.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• mal 25 Apr 2012 16:30:36 22,842 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Having adapted all the bits they need to to get it running on OSX means they've abstracted away all the interfaces between that stuff and the common stuff you can just recompile. That's a fairly large step towards making anything portable, although the remainder of the work in reimplementing the OS specific stuff still isn't a walk in the park.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• StooMonster 25 Apr 2012 16:40:32 19 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @warlockuk I think you misunderstand me, in my opinion OSX was the first step towards Steam Box.

Because it was developing Source for an entirely OpenGL non DirectX environment, plus it was a non-Windows kernel (in this case BSD Unix).

So I believe getting Source and Steam running on a general Linux kernel platform, utilising the OpenGL work etc done on Mac, is the second step.

My speculation is final step will be Valve creating an Android-like platform based on Linux which will be Steam Box.

Online since 1984

• dominalien 25 Apr 2012 17:22:32 7,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This won't make much sense, though. No Windows games which are on Steam right now would work on it.

• dominalien 25 Apr 2012 17:25:09 7,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One big thing I noticed in the article, however, was how Valve was going to encourage developers to make Linux versions of their games. I don't know whether and how strongly Valve are encouraging Mac development right now, but they're apparently not doing a very good job. And I'm guessing convincing people to make games for Linux will be even harder, unless its market share suddenly explodes. Not likely.

• Dirtbox 25 Apr 2012 17:40:48 79,216 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's nothing to do with how good a job valve is doing, it's how many copies the publishers would think they would sell and whether the pay off is worth the bother. Resounding answer appears to be no.

A major thorn being that Valve doesn't disclose steam sales figures. I'm sure publishers would change their tune were it apparently viable.

Edited by Dirtbox at 17:42:19 25-04-2012

• StooMonster 25 Apr 2012 18:02:22 19 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @dominalien I wonder if they'll put some effort into a Wine like abstraction layer to enable running of DX9 Windows games. Alternatively some kind of VM solution might work, like DosBox stuff for older GoG titles.

Online since 1984

• dominalien 25 Apr 2012 18:19:31 7,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @StooMonster

I really doubt they would, since a general solution would be far from ideal (imagine the flood of complaints about little niggles in specific games if the support looks "official" ) and making a specific tailor-made version of Wine for each game in turn would be huge amounts of work.

Also, as a political issue, I don't think it's a good idea to encourage people to simply use Wine should Linux (and even Mac) become a bit more popular than it is now and game devs started putting out games for it. Take a look at the idiot from CD Projekt bragging about how they "made" The Witcher for Mac and about how well it runs, when in reality it's just wrapped in Wine, so they had all the work done for them by the awesome Wine guys; the only work they actually did was fixing the missing health bars.

Edited by dominalien at 18:20:01 25-04-2012

• Dirtbox 25 Apr 2012 18:34:38 79,216 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't get the bother really, if you want to play games, use windows or buy a console, it's not really rocket science.

• Page

of 10 First / Last