Steam for Linux Page 2

  • Page

    of 10 First / Last

  • Ginger 4 May 2010 21:47:14 6,827 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @spuds (on mobile so no quote) people choose Linux for lots of reasons. In the west it's probably idealism or for fun. In developing countries it might be more a cost thing.

    Not really the point though. There is a market which it seems valve would like to address, and if they get it right could be worth a penny or two.

    London open taekwondo champion

  • Ginger 4 May 2010 21:47:32 6,827 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Doh.

    London open taekwondo champion

  • dominalien 4 May 2010 21:48:10 6,839 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Ginger wrote:
    Also, if Valve go for the most popular linux distro (ubuntu) and it works, then interested people will move over.

    Windows works. Why don't they just move to that?

    Making stuff in factories in china with 16h shifts and 8 yo children also works, why move away from that?

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Deleted user 4 May 2010 21:50:31
    dominalien wrote:
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Ginger wrote:
    Also, if Valve go for the most popular linux distro (ubuntu) and it works, then interested people will move over.

    Windows works. Why don't they just move to that?

    Making stuff in factories in china with 16h shifts and 8 yo children also works, why move away from that?

    We can't all be winners. The world's a harsh place.
  • heyyo 4 May 2010 21:52:10 14,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Ginger wrote:
    Also, if Valve go for the most popular linux distro (ubuntu) and it works, then interested people will move over.

    Windows works. Why don't they just move to that?

    Because its mainstream, duh

    /rolls eyes
  • FooAtari 4 May 2010 22:35:32 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Ginger wrote:
    Also, if Valve go for the most popular linux distro (ubuntu) and it works, then interested people will move over.

    Windows works. Why don't they just move to that?

    Because I don't want to? Because Linux works better for me?

    I have two desktop PC's. One has Windows and one Linux Mint.

    I use the Windows box for games only, the Linux one for everything else. Having used Linux for several years now I much prefer it to Windows for a variety of reasons and at the moment don't ever see myself moving back to Windows being my main OS.

    It's not like Valve are lessening their focus on Windows, why do you seem to have a such a problem with it?
  • Dirtbox 5 May 2010 10:05:22 77,480 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    I use the Windows box for games only, the Linux one for everything else. Having used Linux for several years now I much prefer it to Windows for a variety of reasons and at the moment don't ever see myself moving back to Windows being my main OS.
    Such as? I've never really found anything that makes it an improvement other than it's free and secure.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • grey_matters 5 May 2010 10:31:40 3,678 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Midnight Commander?
  • FooAtari 5 May 2010 11:01:51 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    FooAtari wrote:
    I use the Windows box for games only, the Linux one for everything else. Having used Linux for several years now I much prefer it to Windows for a variety of reasons and at the moment don't ever see myself moving back to Windows being my main OS.
    Such as? I've never really found anything that makes it an improvement other than it's free and secure.

    It's free and secure :)

    It's more customizable

    I had a much easier time setting up streaming music and video content to the PS3 and 360 than in Windows (the 360 really surprised me, both being MS products and all)

    Software is usually much quicker and easier to install assuming it's in your distros repositories

    The distro I currently use comes ready to go out of the box. I don't need to install any office apps, image editing apps, codecs or such like. On my laptop which is used mostly by the wife for browsing the net and editing documents I really didn't have to do anything after installing the OS. Firefox was there, OpenOffice was there etc.

    Keeping software up to date is easier. Again that relies on most of software you use being in the repository, which it is in my case so 90% of the software I used is updated automatically

    I beleive in Open Source.

    I just prefer Linux.

    How many reasons do you need :)

  • Dirtbox 5 May 2010 11:30:36 77,480 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One good one.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Deleted user 5 May 2010 12:05:33
    FooAtari wrote:
    I beleive in Open Source.

    MMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dominalien 5 May 2010 12:38:15 6,839 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    FooAtari wrote:
    I use the Windows box for games only, the Linux one for everything else. Having used Linux for several years now I much prefer it to Windows for a variety of reasons and at the moment don't ever see myself moving back to Windows being my main OS.
    Such as? I've never really found anything that makes it an improvement other than it's free and secure.

    What is the point of your trolling here?

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Deleted user 5 May 2010 12:44:22
    I love the fact that we anyone, anywhere on the net displays a negative opinion of Linux they are automatically trolling.
  • dominalien 5 May 2010 12:47:29 6,839 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why do you display negative opinions of Linux here in this thread? This thread is not about Linux, it's about Steam for Linux. You and DB come here and say "why do you use Linux, use Windows". It's off topic, doesn't add anything to the discussion and I see it as trolling.

    Clearly, the only reason you come here is to annoy Linux users who are trying to have a discussion about Steam.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Dirtbox 5 May 2010 12:49:38 77,480 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've tried linux many times, and while it's okay, it's no replacement. I've already gone into why elsewhere, but it's impossible for me to either work or play games on. If I were a programmer or did something other than visually creative type stuff, I'm sure it would be great, but I do, and it fails miserably at every aspect of it.

    My needs maybe niche, but they're important to me. I'm not trolling, just trying to find out what, if anything, linux does better for what you want to use it for. Apparently it's moral reasoning.

    Apologies for derailing, carry on as you were.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Deleted user 5 May 2010 13:10:05
    I use Steam for nearly all my PC gaming so that's why i'm commenting. I'm sort of interested to see how it works out on other platforms.

    I just think Linux is too 'raw' for it to work out well on it.
  • dominalien 5 May 2010 13:10:55 6,839 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm sorry DB, but it's clear you are capable of forming your own opinions about things and, at least to me, it's clear you already have an opinion about Linux and Windows and everything else and you don't need or want to be told what the merits of Linux are.

    In your first post you say "what's the point". Fair enough, it's clear you see no point. But then you bait FooAtari to try and show Linux' merits to you, when it's obvious no matter what he says you'll not be convinced. Anything FooAtari, I, or anyone else on the planet says, you're still going to ask for, like you said it, "one good" reason, because you already know there is nothing you will accept as a good one. I think much the same may be said of spudsbuckley, only he lacks your ability to turn discussions around in a clever way and is more straightforward in his attempts to divert the conversation to a flamewar.

    I'd said it before and I'll say it again: an operating system is just the foundation which draws your windows and lets you manage your files. It's the specific software which makes the system useful. I'm pretty sure if the best piece of software for doing whatever it is you do on your computer came out for Linux only (unlikely, of course), you'd find merit in Linux, because it'd let you do your job in the most efficient way.

    It's easy to be in the mainstream, because you can just nod your head with pity and say "why do you go against the flow, take the most convenient route" in many different ways. It's much harder to be in the minority, when every conversation like the one we're having right now turns into other people telling me "convince me". I found merit in Linux by myself, and if you didn't, then you won't be convinced.

    With that, I really do hope we go back to the original topic of conversation.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Deleted user 5 May 2010 13:21:06
    That was the most sterotypical Linux-head post ever. You're basically using it just to be different for the sake of being different.
  • Dirtbox 5 May 2010 13:40:41 77,480 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, pretty much. I do appreciate the answer though.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • grey_matters 5 May 2010 13:41:28 3,678 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    That was the most sterotypical Linux-head post ever. You're basically using it just to be different for the sake of being different.
    No, it really isn't. The kind of Linux-lover that you love to go on about doesn't really exist on here, no matter how much you go on about it. It's usually just people who use it because they like it in some way. There isn't any evangelical hard-sell going on. There are no attempts to show why it is better for everyone, just that it is preferred (by that one person alone) when all things are considered.
  • grey_matters 5 May 2010 13:41:28 3,678 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • grey_matters 5 May 2010 13:45:22 3,678 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    I use Steam for nearly all my PC gaming so that's why i'm commenting. I'm sort of interested to see how it works out on other platforms.

    I just think Linux is too 'raw' for it to work out well on it.

    You are probably right here, though. It'll be a tough enough job to get it up to speed on a wide variety of distros. Interesting development, nonetheless.
  • mal 5 May 2010 14:39:22 22,341 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For me, it doesn't eat CPU cycles in the same way Windows seems to, and on the occasions where it does go wrong it seems a lot easier to figure out what it's doing. The linux sites on the net are more geared to helping you out, while Windows sites tend to either assume you're an idiot, or you've paid $$ for MSVC and have been coding .Net for years.

    Basically, Linux feels more like the computers I grew up with. It's a general purpose system for doing stuff. Windows is very good at what it's good at, but it makes it quite hard to do things it wasn't designed to do.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • FooAtari 5 May 2010 16:08:07 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    That was the most sterotypical Linux-head post ever. You're basically using it just to be different for the sake of being different.

    Stop being a troll.

    What's so hard to grasp about someone preferring Linux over Windows. It's no big deal. It's just an operating system for christ sakes. Use whats works for you best, and I'll use what works for me best and then we can all get along.

    Dammit, lift is here so time to finish work, will add to this later.
  • dominalien 5 May 2010 17:27:21 6,839 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dammit, lift is here so time to finish work, will add to this later.

    ... Do you work on a crane..? ;-)

    PSN: DonOsito

  • FooAtari 5 May 2010 18:23:50 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    One good one.

    To you maybe, and that's fine. I wasn't trying to Force anyone to use Linux or anything was I.

    I've tried linux many times, and while it's okay, it's no replacement. I've already gone into why elsewhere, but it's impossible for me to either work or play games on. If I were a programmer or did something other than visually creative type stuff, I'm sure it would be great, but I do, and it fails miserably at every aspect of it.

    My needs maybe niche, but they're important to me. I'm not trolling, just trying to find out what, if anything, linux does better for what you want to use it for. Apparently it's moral reasoning.

    Apologies for derailing, carry on as you were.

    Thats great, clearly Linux doesn't suit your needs. Why did you feel the need to come into the thread and question why others use it?

    dominalien wrote:
    It's easy to be in the mainstream, because you can just nod your head with pity and say "why do you go against the flow, take the most convenient route" in many different ways. It's much harder to be in the minority, when every conversation like the one we're having right now turns into other people telling me "convince me". I found merit in Linux by myself, and if you didn't, then you won't be convinced.
    .

    So true. And don't forget the "your just using it to be different" argument. One I also see when someone doesn't like a fairly popular game. Quite pathetic.

    dominalien wrote:
    Dammit, lift is here so time to finish work, will add to this later.

    ... Do you work on a crane..? ;-)

    Haha. Always that would be quite a cool job though.
  • JammyB 5 May 2010 20:34:44 756 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    My needs maybe niche, but they're important to me. I'm not trolling, just trying to find out what, if anything, linux does better for what you want to use it for. Apparently it's moral reasoning.

    Since you asked then: (not in order)
    - Open and free
    - Secure
    - Useful software pre-installed
    - Package manager and automatic software updates
    - Full LAMP setup out of the box
    - Very easy and quick to optimise as a webserver, e.g. lighttpd, memcached
    - Python and SSH out of the box/command line
    - Vim
    - Live boot from CD/USB
    - All the useful jobs you can do with bash scripting, awk, cron, etc.

    By the way, I use Windows and Linux at work and used to be a full-time .Net developer, so I'm not biased. Linux is my primary OS because it helps me to my job better than any other OS out there at the moment.


    Back on topic: I hear that the World of Goo guys had a tough time porting it onto Linux. If I recall, they were moaning that certain frameworks were pretty dodgy, e.g. the audio and input. My big hope with Steam is that it will kickstart some work on proper developer tools/frameworks to sort out these issues. I can't see Linux gaming ever getting far if developers just don't enjoy coding for it.
  • Chopsen 5 May 2010 21:19:49 15,745 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there actually anything like directx on linux? Some kind of standardised interface to hardware that would work for gaming? I know there is xorg and xfree, but these aren't interchangable are they? I take it opengl takes takes care of the 3d side of things?
  • Sharzam 5 May 2010 22:59:54 2,739 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Both OpenGl and OpenAL work in linux which covers pretty much all main issues, in the same way that they do for macs. To be honest you dont need direct X at all just look at consoles only the 360 has support for it however Direct X can work via a translation layer but thats far from perfect.

    Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

  • Deleted user 5 May 2010 23:09:38
    JammyB wrote:
    I hear that the World of Goo guys had a tough time porting it onto Linux. If I recall, they were moaning that certain frameworks were pretty dodgy, e.g. the audio and input.
    That was the Braid author.
  • Page

    of 10 First / Last

Log in or register to reply