Steam for Linux Page 8

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• dominalien 10 Nov 2012 11:48:42 6,882 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I put in the Steam keys I got from the various Humble Bundles and now have a pretty respectable list of 14 games which show up as Linux compatible. More than half of them don't work, complaining about missing executables or configs, but I'm still quite happy.

PSN: DonOsito

• Hexagon 15 Nov 2012 15:13:20 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/how-to-login-to-steam-big-picture-mode-in-ubuntu

Very interesting as it is a unique advantage that gaming on Ubuntu, and Linux in general, has over gaming on Windows. What do you guys think?

GOG for Linux!

• Chopsen 15 Nov 2012 15:16:17 16,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's more cool in a geeky way than cool in an actually useful way (which is par for the course with linux). The time taken to go from login manager to desktop is trivial compared to the time it takes the rest for the boot up process. So you just get a gimped environment, with none of the advantages of a console.

Edited by Chopsen at 15:16:46 15-11-2012
  • Hexagon 15 Nov 2012 15:25:05 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Aren't there far more resources available for the game as the link seems to imply? I mean, sure, it won't matter as much on more powerful systems, but for those of us who aren't as lucky...

GOG for Linux!

• Chopsen 15 Nov 2012 18:10:13 16,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't use Linux as a gaming machine, but even Windows does a good enough job of multitasking and memory management to allow a game to run decently enough unless you do something stupid in the background. Considering *nix is designed from the ground up as a multitasking and multi-user, I'd hope it'd be even less of an issue there.

There'd be some fewer resources *theoretically*, but you're just talking about the desktop environment GUI really. The bulk of what constitutes the OS would be running in the form of daemons started by init/upstart, kernel modules, other stuff. If linux can't handle prioritising running a game over resources used only for the desktop GUI, then gaming on linux is even more of a lost cause that I thought!

And in any case, one of the things I *like* about PC gaming is I can just alt+tab out of a game and pop in to a browser for a few seconds anyway. So all the disadvantages of a console with none of the advantages of a PC.
  • Deleted user 15 November 2012 18:13:28
    Kind of reminds me of those people who'll trim absolutely everything down so they're using as little resources as possible for no tangible reason other than an empty resource monitor.

"I bought this PC and now I'm going to use 5% of its power. I might not have anything useful actually running, and I even worry about the RAM usage of my text editor at times, but it sure as shit runs fast and smooth!"
  • Chopsen 15 Nov 2012 18:16:27 16,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. In the days of Windows 3.1 et al, it was worth being a fascist about what was running, etc. These days, OS's are robust and your average PC is so over spec'd for what most people actually need, it really doesn't matter.
  • dominalien 15 Nov 2012 18:30:32 6,882 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Interesting how you're both negative towards it. :-) I agree it's mostly pointless these days, though.

BTW, is it really not possible on Windows? I remember setting the windows shell to something else than Explorer.exe back in the day to some curious results. Was certainly viable even then.

• Deleted user 15 November 2012 18:36:30
    I'm not necessarily negative towards it - it'll be nice for Linux-based HTCPs and the like, but I don't think you'll be garnering any real performance boost out of it. Maybe squeeze out a couple of frames here and there, but nothing that'll make any real world benefit. It'll only really look good on a benchmark.

You can tweak some startup routines to have a similar thing on Windows though, yeah - at launch a script starts Steam in Big Picture and kills explorer.exe, along with any unnecessary processes like spooler services etc. Not exactly the same thing, and still mostly pointless for anything but benchmarking, but I've read people doing it. Dunno about fully replacing the shell, though. Doubt it'd work.
  • dominalien 15 Nov 2012 18:43:02 6,882 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There used to be a key in the registry which basically said shell=Explorer.exe. Changing this to shell=Firefox.exe would launch FF on an empty screen. Closing the window would log you out. Pointless, but fun.

I have no idea if/how it would work now, but considering MS is very conservative, it might still be possible. Whether it would be practical and applicable to Steam is beyond my ability to verify.

• Hexagon 15 Nov 2012 20:25:42 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks for clearing that misconception I had up, you guys. Would have been nice if it were true, though!

GOG for Linux!

• Deleted user 15 November 2012 20:34:25
    What's not true about it? You'll only see a trivial performance boost from doing it. It's only worth doing from a performance aspect if you're the most pedantic of benchmarkers. Everyone else would just get on and enjoy the game.
  • Chopsen 15 Nov 2012 20:57:21 16,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ...and if you've got to log out of the desktop to log in to a steam environment, you might as well log out and boot in to a windows partition and do it properly ;)
  • Hexagon 16 Nov 2012 22:23:54 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    True, as in, offered as much of a performance boost as I inferred from that link I posted. Too bad it's only trivial, though. Regarding what you said, Chopsen, I am sure that would take much longer in comparison. :-P

GOG for Linux!

• Hexagon 22 Nov 2012 23:57:24 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Steam Beta expands for another 5000!

GOG for Linux!

• dominalien 27 Nov 2012 09:20:26 6,882 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And I'm still not in it. :-(

• Ginger 9 Dec 2012 09:47:56 6,843 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gabe confirms Steam console based on Linux.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/12/8/3744314/gabe-newell-valve-console-living-room-steam-box

London open taekwondo champion

• Mr-Brett 9 Dec 2012 10:04:35 12,799 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Newell stopped short of saying that the company was building a Linux-based Steam OS, but he reportedly said that the next step for the company's living room operation is to enable Big Picture on Steam for Linux.
    It's not quite confirmed but granted it's not exactly a big leap.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Hexagon 9 Dec 2012 18:57:27 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This sounds marvellous. An operation of that magnitude will surely have big publishers on board as well, no? This sounds like a massive gain for Linux!

GOG for Linux!

• dominalien 5 Jan 2013 21:31:44 6,882 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Steam stats for December 2012 show Ubuntu amounts to some 0.8% of computers. I wonder how many machines that translates to. And whether this will continue growing, or will fall following an initial interest.

Edited by dominalien at 21:55:00 07-01-2013

• dominalien 26 Jan 2013 21:20:13 6,882 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For whatever it's worth, Half-Life (yes, the first one) is now available for Linux on Steam. It's in beta and doesn't show up as Linux compatible on the store page, but if you already have it, or buy it, it'll show up on the list of Linux games and can be installed and played.

I ran into a couple of serious bugs two days ago when I first installed it (couldn't look up/down with the mouse, got a black screen after I got teleported during the incident and some other minor ones), but there's been an update since and all my problems are fixed.

Looks really dated, but is still excellent. Doesn't even make my laptop's fan spin much faster. CPU monitor shows CPU usage of around 35% on one core. :-)

Oh, and Counter Strike is also native now.

• DodgyPast 27 Jan 2013 01:50:30 8,475 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got a spare laptop drive I might chuck in my PC and whack Ubuntu on just as a geek project.

Out of interest what's the current state state of NTFS support.
  • Dirtbox 27 Jan 2013 06:28:29 78,221 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You should try mint instead, it's much better on the performance front and is generally a lot easier to use. You're still better off installing to a FAT32 partition then mounting NTFS drives from it, any other way is just incredible hassle.

As an aside, considering there are only about 20 games for linux on Steam right now, it's looking a bit glum for the steambox if they're planning on releasing it in the next couple of years. Developer support isn't anywhere near there yet and it's being glacially slow on the mainstream uptake.

Edited by Dirtbox at 06:40:04 27-01-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• dominalien 27 Jan 2013 09:04:27 6,882 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Out of interest what's the current state state of NTFS support.
    I's fully functioning, as far as I know. I think you get read support out of the box and you have to install something for write support. I'm not the most reliable source of information, though, as I haven't seen an NTFS drive in ages. :-)

• Hexagon 17 Feb 2013 23:59:23 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Steam for Linux is running great, as is the Nvidia driver that I am using. Have only had time to play Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Source but both run quite well. Can't wait for Valve to release more games!

GOG for Linux!

• Hexagon 22 Feb 2013 23:41:49 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hexagon wrote:
    Steam for Linux is running great, as is the Nvidia driver that I am using. Have only had time to play Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Source but both run quite well. Can't wait for Valve to release more games!
    Am maxing both games easily after turning off multicore rendering for both. Feels good!

GOG for Linux!

• dominalien 1 Mar 2013 22:40:41 6,882 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In other news, Linux users were over 2% in February, according to the stats on the Steam page. I'm actually a little bit surprised.

• Chopsen 1 Mar 2013 23:14:47 16,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hexagon wrote:
    Can't wait for Valve to release more games!
    Good luck with that.
  • dominalien 2 Mar 2013 07:16:09 6,882 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Hexagon wrote:
    Can't wait for Valve to release more games!
    Good luck with that.
    Why so aggressive? No need to feel threatened, the precious Microsoft PC monopoly is not going anywhere.

• Hexagon 2 Mar 2013 16:14:30 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Steam Stats for February are out and it's good news!

GOG for Linux!

• Page

of 10 First / Last