• Hexagon 18 Jul 2012 12:35:36 352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Hexagon wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Hexagon wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Ban him, just in case. His topics aren't really relevant to the forum anyway.
    Interesting. I don't recall posting any threads recently and what I do post is relevant to the thread I am posting in only. Perhaps you do not know what you're talking about?
    Bad joke is bad. Beg pardon.
    Pardon is begged. All be well. If this is an insider, I probably missed it because I don't frequent this forum as much due to its slow moving nature.
    Not an insider. Simply... nobody cares about Linux here, bar 3 people maybe. 4 with you.
    So five people have managed to create a five page thread, hm?

GOG for Linux!

• warlockuk 18 Jul 2012 13:10:54 19,151 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wouldn't be the first time.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 18 July 2012 13:11:54
    So, when and where can I test this?
  • dominalien 23 Jul 2012 12:41:14 6,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hexagon wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Hexagon wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Hexagon wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Ban him, just in case. His topics aren't really relevant to the forum anyway.
    Interesting. I don't recall posting any threads recently and what I do post is relevant to the thread I am posting in only. Perhaps you do not know what you're talking about?
    Bad joke is bad. Beg pardon.
    Pardon is begged. All be well. If this is an insider, I probably missed it because I don't frequent this forum as much due to its slow moving nature.
    Not an insider. Simply... nobody cares about Linux here, bar 3 people maybe. 4 with you.
    So five people have managed to create a five page thread, hm?
    Yes.

@Crispy: you can't not yet at least. Didn't have you pegged as a Linux guy?

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 23 July 2012 12:51:28
    Why not? I'm always open to playing with different software and operating systems.

Piss about with Linux systems all day via SSH.
  • mal 29 Jul 2012 03:51:17 22,456 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    According to AllThingsD, Gabe Newel recently reiterated his fears over Windows 8, and his reasons for investing in Steam on Linux:
    The big problem that is holding back Linux is games. People donít realize how critical games are in driving consumer purchasing behavior.

We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well. Itís a hedging strategy.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• matrim83 29 Jul 2012 07:44:47 5,587 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well. Itís a hedging strategy.
    Can they actually do that? They can do their own games maybe but surely not third party games, can they? Then it would end up being the same Mac OS situation again where most games arent compatible.

Valar morghulis.

• mal 29 Jul 2012 09:43:59 22,456 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AIUI it's exactly the same situation, technically, as on Mac OS X. I suppose legally Linux licensing might make it easier for Valve to get devs up and running - by creating a boot CD or USB key with a Linux dev environment, the WINE libs and a copy of Steam for Linux and making it available, but presumably it's not exactly hard to set up a Hackintosh and put Steam for Mac on it.

• mal 3 Aug 2012 14:50:06 22,456 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So apparently, Open GL zombies run faster than direct-3D ones, and Linux ones go even faster.

• Dirtbox 3 Aug 2012 15:37:28 77,712 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't know why they switched to d3d in the first place, they're just making work for themselves when it comes to porting to lesser platforms.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• dominalien 3 Aug 2012 19:26:38 6,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mal

Too bad it's a one-off optimising effort to make it look good for launch.

No-one, not even Valve, probably, will bother to optimise Linux games this way in the future, unless by some quirk it manages to get significant market share (in the vicinity of 20 per cent, I'd say).

• mal 3 Aug 2012 20:09:09 22,456 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got the impression most of the optimisations were happening to the Source engine though. Doesn't help any of the non-Source games on Steam, but it covers most of Valve's games (if not all, I dunno).

• Deleted user 3 August 2012 21:11:57
    Can imagine this will be publicly released around the same time as the big picture mode. Well I'm hoping at least, would be nice to be running linux on my gaming HTPC instead of windows.
  • warlockuk 3 Aug 2012 22:04:52 19,151 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mal - it'll apply to all the Source games; non-source games it'll be down to the devs/publishers - but a lot of the indie games already have linux versions.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• mal 3 Aug 2012 22:21:04 22,456 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Can imagine this will be publicly released around the same time as the big picture mode. Well I'm hoping at least, would be nice to be running linux on my gaming HTPC instead of windows.
    Something of a non sequitur? Why would you want to run big picture mode on a PC with a mouse and keyboard?

• faselei 3 Aug 2012 22:50:22 27 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mal wrote:
    So apparently, Open GL zombies run faster than direct-3D ones, and Linux ones go even faster.
    The reg puts it quite well: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/02/valve_games_faster_on_linux/

Like others here I ONLY use windows for gaming. My linux boot does everything else, quicker, and easier. The software centre actually makes choosing and installing software even easier then windows.

I really cannot wait to dump windows at some point.
  • Deleted user 3 August 2012 22:55:40
    mal wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Something of a non sequitur? Why would you want to run big picture mode on a PC with a mouse and keyboard?
    Well it apparently has a gamepad software layer to control everything.

Also, wireless.
  • Hexagon 10 Aug 2012 23:30:55 352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mal wrote:
    I got the impression most of the optimisations were happening to the Source engine though. Doesn't help any of the non-Source games on Steam, but it covers most of Valve's games (if not all, I dunno).
    That's what I have been reading as well. Valve is tackling Linux in a manner that allows them to port all of their Source games as easily as possible.

GOG for Linux!

• Deleted user 11 August 2012 00:22:20
    Given that Gabe was originally an Operating System development God first, I suspect their approach to linux is two or three fold, 1. Get steam to emulate Windows' Steam using Wine, 2. redevelop source natively for linux so all steam developers can avoid the Wine very quickly with all new projects, 3. and develop an easy deployment strategy that removes the fear from the naive steam computer user from using Steam on Linux(Fedora/Ubuntu) instead of Windows.

I've not been a Pc gamer since HL2, but I'll get back into gaming on PC for 18months until Linux steam gets going when this happens to help make it successful.
  • mal 11 Aug 2012 00:57:06 22,456 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    1. Get steam to emulate Windows' Steam using Wine
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. As I understand it, Steam is a download client and game launcher, right? Do you mean run Steam under WINE? If so I don't see why they wouldn't just port Steam to Linux given they've got plenty of Linux experience and it would run better natively. If you mean modify the port of steam to launch games under WINE then okay, a decent enough idea. Would have been better if you'd just said that though.

• Deleted user 11 August 2012 01:09:45
    @mal

Steam is a platform on a platform already, so running windows steam on Wine, as though it is on Windows saves potential bugs from the 2500 games already tested. Then if they provide a linux version of the Source engine to bypass the Wine API redirection, it will help fully port any of those 2500 games that were source engine games, and provide a clean strategy away from windows.
  • Deleted user 11 August 2012 01:18:35
    Why would they do that? They'll make a native client.
  • Hexagon 11 Aug 2012 01:58:01 352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mal wrote:
    I am surprised Eurogamer didn't report on this actually. Seems like splendid news.

GOG for Linux!

• Dirtbox 11 Aug 2012 10:27:53 77,712 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't really see what interest it has to anyone. It's not like you can tell the difference at any level.

• dominalien 11 Aug 2012 10:41:41 6,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @mal

Steam is a platform on a platform already, so running windows steam on Wine, as though it is on Windows saves potential bugs from the 2500 games already tested. Then if they provide a linux version of the Source engine to bypass the Wine API redirection, it will help fully port any of those 2500 games that were source engine games, and provide a clean strategy away from windows.
    No.

Steam already runs on Wine. This has nothing to do with whether or how any of the 2500 games run on it.

• Hexagon 11 Aug 2012 12:44:11 352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I don't really see what interest it has to anyone. It's not like you can tell the difference at any level.
    True, but that does not negate the fact that the game is still running better on a Linux operating system than a Windows operating systems, despite all the furore regarding drivers and support for Linux.

GOG for Linux!

• Dirtbox 11 Aug 2012 13:11:44 77,712 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, it says that the source engine runs better under OpenGL. Imperceptibly better at that.

I don't know what "furore" you're talking about, but video support for the common cards is fine. It's the less popular hardware combinations where the driver support for linux is a wasteland.

Edited by Dirtbox at 13:16:07 11-08-2012

• mal 11 Aug 2012 13:22:37 22,456 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TBF the way I read it it was both - both faster under OpenGL than under D3D and ever so slightly faster again under Linux. In one set of tests.

• Dirtbox 11 Aug 2012 13:25:36 77,712 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Still hardly a stop the press situation.

• Hexagon 11 Aug 2012 13:28:00 352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    No, it says that the source engine runs better under OpenGL. Imperceptibly better at that.

I don't know what "furore" you're talking about, but video support for the common cards is fine. It's the less popular hardware combinations where the driver support for linux is a wasteland.
    But still better, and that can be translated to other games. Considering how OpenGL doesn't hold a candle to DirectX (that is what I pick up whenever the discussion comes up anyway), that's great news. The furore I speak of is what comes along whenever the subject of Linux is at hand which usually includes a lack of driver support and other such jolly topics.

GOG for Linux!

• Page

of 10 First / Last