Steam for Linux Page 5

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Deleted user 1 May 2012 18:09:40
    He could be like everyone else and just not care.
  • Hexagon 1 May 2012 18:12:38 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Even more official than it was in 2010:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&num=1

Damn, Valve are slow, aren't they? :-)
    Pretty damn slow, agreed. There is a reason the term "Valve Time" exists.

GOG for Linux!

• Hexagon 1 May 2012 18:25:11 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just realized that most of my posts were responding to posts posted back in 2010. :mad:

GOG for Linux!

• Hexagon 1 May 2012 18:26:40 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Canonical in Touch with Valve to Ensure Steam is Well Supported on Ubuntu

GOG for Linux!

• Hexagon 25 Jun 2012 19:54:10 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really am a fool for not remembering to link to this sooner. Here's the Steam for Linux group!

GOG for Linux!

• MrTomFTW Moderator 25 Jun 2012 19:57:55 39,782 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Took me a moment there to decide if Hexagon was a spambot or not. Especially with those links.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• dominalien 25 Jun 2012 20:23:02 7,065 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ban him, just in case. His topics aren't really relevant to the forum anyway.

PSN: DonOsito

• Hexagon 26 Jun 2012 11:48:24 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Took me a moment there to decide if Hexagon was a spambot or not. Especially with those links.
    lol, takes a keen eye sometimes. Glad you aren't one of those knee jerk type mods. And the links in my sig? Typical gamer links. Do you guys never visit other forums?

dominalien wrote:
    Interesting. I don't recall posting any threads recently and what I do post is relevant to the thread I am posting in only. Perhaps you do not know what you're talking about?

GOG for Linux!

• grey_matters 17 Jul 2012 08:07:37 3,863 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's official.
    Left for Dead on OpenGL initially, with further titles to follow.
  • chopsen 17 Jul 2012 08:44:55 16,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, thank god they're doing this instead of finishing HL3.

Still very much work in progress and doesn't sound like anything is finished yet. Still not sure how I feel about this. If you're in any way serious about PC gaming, you're going to get windows or your just cutting off your nose to spite your face. I guess the same could be said for valve developing for mac though.
  • dominalien 17 Jul 2012 08:50:27 7,065 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hexagon wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Interesting. I don't recall posting any threads recently and what I do post is relevant to the thread I am posting in only. Perhaps you do not know what you're talking about?
    Bad joke is bad. Beg pardon.

• dominalien 17 Jul 2012 08:50:58 7,065 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Well, thank god they're doing this instead of finishing HL3.

Still very much work in progress and doesn't sound like anything is finished yet. Still not sure how I feel about this. If you're in any way serious about PC gaming, you're going to get windows or your just cutting off your nose to spite your face. I guess the same could be said for valve developing for mac though.
    Yes, because Windows is the only PC gaming platform and it should stay this way forever.

• chopsen 17 Jul 2012 09:02:59 16,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, that's not what I'm saying.

Valve being valve, with their notoriously loose management structure, I can see this being an interesting side project for some people within the company. Doesn't mean any serious resources are going to get thrown at it: Linux desktop is still quite niche, and for gaming even more so. Couple that with the very disjointed landscape that is the linux platform (not to mention historically patchy gfx hardware support), you've got to ask if this is actually really something worthwhile getting excited about outside of it being a cool nerdy thing for nerds.

I like linux, I run it on a server at home doing various things. A gaming platform it isn't, and there are a lot of factors that hold it back in that regard.
  • warlockuk 17 Jul 2012 09:06:17 19,223 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd guess that the team doing Steam and the game engine will differ from the team that actually makes HL3 with the tools.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 17 July 2012 09:25:39
    Erm, of course.
  • warlockuk 17 Jul 2012 09:51:08 19,223 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, of course. Was just saying - Chopsy seemed to be implying that they only do one thing at a time. I know it certainly seems that way, but still...

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 17 July 2012 10:02:56
    Yeah, valve only have one team, when they not doing the website or organising sales they port their infrastructure to linux in their spare time :D
  • warlockuk 17 Jul 2012 10:30:39 19,223 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Exactly ^_^

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 17 Jul 2012 10:30:56 19,223 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ...I'm still irked they never did Sin Episode 2. :D

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• chopsen 17 Jul 2012 11:19:34 16,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Yeah, of course. Was just saying - Chopsy seemed to be implying that they only do one thing at a time. I know it certainly seems that way, but still...
    I was being a *teensy* bit facetious.

But the point I was making that I'm not really sure this is something worth investing a lot of effort in, and I suspect they know this, so I would not expect anything too fantastic at the end of the day. It strikes me more as a "we're doing this because we can and we find it interesting" rather than it showing a brave new direction for gaming on linux.
  • warlockuk 17 Jul 2012 11:22:42 19,223 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aye, but it could prove to be the turning point Linux needs. A few back-handers from Canonical and job's a goodun'

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• chopsen 17 Jul 2012 11:50:34 16,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, that's a possibility, canonical have aggressive tried to push linux in to the mainstream more than any other, and have been much more successful. The other possibility I was thinking was that this was a spin-off from the steam vapourware console that they're not developing. No way would you afford to make a console with a windows licence on it. Get your software running on something opensource, you're laughing.
  • neilka 17 Jul 2012 12:29:56 16,532 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Dreamcast ran Windows and that worked out... oh.

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Immaterial 17 Jul 2012 12:33:59 1,507 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    isn't the subtext here that Android is based on a Linux kernel, and Valve may be looking at mobile gaming? Just a thought...

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• dominalien 17 Jul 2012 12:42:05 7,065 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Immaterial

That wouldn't make any sense, making a Steam client for desktop Linux would have no bearing whatsoever on any mobile efforts they might be making.

• mikew1985 17 Jul 2012 13:24:10 13,043 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Uhh that wasn't Valve unless my memory is sketchy?
  • Hexagon 17 Jul 2012 19:04:50 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Hexagon wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Pardon is begged. All be well. If this is an insider, I probably missed it because I don't frequent this forum as much due to its slow moving nature.

GOG for Linux!

• Hexagon 17 Jul 2012 19:08:14 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    No, that's not what I'm saying.

Valve being valve, with their notoriously loose management structure, I can see this being an interesting side project for some people within the company. Doesn't mean any serious resources are going to get thrown at it: Linux desktop is still quite niche, and for gaming even more so. Couple that with the very disjointed landscape that is the linux platform (not to mention historically patchy gfx hardware support), you've got to ask if this is actually really something worthwhile getting excited about outside of it being a cool nerdy thing for nerds.

I like linux, I run it on a server at home doing various things. A gaming platform it isn't, and there are a lot of factors that hold it back in that regard.
    Valve has hired several people to get all Linux related efforts up and running. Gabe himself is involved in this. Worries over Windows 8 and future iterations have been made by Gabe as well. Seems like they are blowing a bit too much money if they only intend to half ass it. What's more, they have been half assing it since at least 2010 anyway.

GOG for Linux!

• warlockuk 17 Jul 2012 19:45:23 19,223 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:
    Uhh that wasn't Valve unless my memory is sketchy?
    Nah; was just meaning Episodic content in general. "They". Episodic content always seems to fall on its arse unless you're Telltale

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• dominalien 17 Jul 2012 22:53:54 7,065 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hexagon wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Hexagon wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Pardon is begged. All be well. If this is an insider, I probably missed it because I don't frequent this forum as much due to its slow moving nature.
    Not an insider. Simply... nobody cares about Linux here, bar 3 people maybe. 4 with you.

• Page

of 10 First / Last