Steam for Linux

  • Page

    of 10 First / Last

    Previous
  • Deleted user 4 May 2010 02:19:01
    Valve is working on it.
  • mal 4 May 2010 02:24:55 22,478 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cool, I guess. Shame all the non-source games won't also be ported, I suppose.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • Dirtbox 4 May 2010 02:30:57 77,768 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can't think of a single possible reason to do this. If anyone has a computer powerful enough to run newer games and have some vague interest in gaming, there is absolutely fuck all chance they don't have windows installed.

    Same goes for macs really, but to a lesser extent.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • uiruki 4 May 2010 06:58:50 3,693 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When you load it up this video plays.
  • grey_matters 4 May 2010 08:35:11 3,691 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quite like the idea of this.
  • Fubdub 4 May 2010 12:51:06 270 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wouldn't mind being able to drop Windows.

    It's a bit of hassle having to reboot everytime I want to play games, not to mention that I won't get it for free anymore once I leave uni :)

    Getting a major player like Valve behind Linux could do some serious good for gaming on that platform. All I really need is for Civ5 to get a linux edition and I'm set :)
  • Ginger 4 May 2010 13:12:16 6,830 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This would be lovely. REALLY lovely

    London open taekwondo champion

  • FooAtari 4 May 2010 13:14:38 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I can't think of a single possible reason to do this. If anyone has a computer powerful enough to run newer games and have some vague interest in gaming, there is absolutely fuck all chance they don't have windows installed.

    Same goes for macs really, but to a lesser extent.

    Hmmm. I use Linux, and I also have Windows installed, but JUST for games. I do not use Windows at any other time.

    If I could drop Windows altogether I absolutely would, and this may or not be the first step in that direction. And you know, from the various linux forums I read, I think there are some people out there who do use Linux exclusively, and also play games. They just play whatever is available on Linux, and also have a console, but would probably be very interested in Steam being developed for Linux.
  • mal 4 May 2010 13:34:43 22,478 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have consoles for games, but Steam has some enticing things about it.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • Dirtbox 4 May 2010 13:39:56 77,768 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I can't think of a single possible reason to do this. If anyone has a computer powerful enough to run newer games and have some vague interest in gaming, there is absolutely fuck all chance they don't have windows installed.

    Same goes for macs really, but to a lesser extent.

    Hmmm. I use Linux, and I also have Windows installed, but JUST for games. I do not use Windows at any other time.

    If I could drop Windows altogether I absolutely would, and this may or not be the first step in that direction. And you know, from the various linux forums I read, I think there are some people out there who do use Linux exclusively, and also play games. They just play whatever is available on Linux, and also have a console, but would probably be very interested in Steam being developed for Linux.
    I understand this, but don't believe for a moment that this suddenly means there will be loads of games coming out for Linux, you'll get valve ports and whatever else might have a 'nix version and happens to be on steam, but that's it. Same for the mac version of steam.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Deleted user 4 May 2010 13:56:05
    Complete waste of time. Linux is free for a reason, if it was all that useful they could charge for it.

    I tinkered with it for a while a few months ago and it was like a handicapped version of a proper OS that half my hardware didn't work properly for.
  • Deleted user 4 May 2010 13:59:15
    lol
  • Ginger 4 May 2010 14:02:24 6,830 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    lol
    +1

    It's rough around the edges, but that's part of its charm :)

    London open taekwondo champion

  • Deleted user 4 May 2010 14:06:09
    Most of the internet runs on it too.
  • FooAtari 4 May 2010 14:10:43 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Complete waste of time. Linux is free for a reason, if it was all that useful they could charge for it.

    I tinkered with it for a while a few months ago and it was like a handicapped version of a proper OS that half my hardware didn't work properly for.

    And your experience equals law of course.

    You also seem to lack some understanding on what GNU/Linux is all about. The Linux Kernel isn't free because someone thinks it's shit.
  • K-Project 4 May 2010 14:11:36 363 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is fantastic news! Thanks for the heads up.

    /saves pennies.

    I don't think they'd be doing it if it didn't make some financial sense. At the end of the day, while Linux on the home desktop can't boast the same numbers as Windows, there are still tens of millions of Linux users out there. They must have done the sums. :)
  • Ginger 4 May 2010 14:30:28 6,830 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    10s of millions and no other decent games provider. I think they've seen the ipod and android app stores and thought "we'll have a piece of that please"

    London open taekwondo champion

  • Stop-gap 4 May 2010 18:58:22 329 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well no because all iPod/Pads are a closed system which can be expected to be identical. That's nice and easy to get to grips with.

    Linux has dozens of distros in hundreds of configs, and correct me if I'm wrong, but that means a LOT of extra work to get the steam client working on more than a few of them, let alone any games.
  • dominalien 4 May 2010 19:27:56 6,848 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stop-gap wrote:
    Well no because all iPod/Pads are a closed system which can be expected to be identical. That's nice and easy to get to grips with.

    Linux has dozens of distros in hundreds of configs, and correct me if I'm wrong, but that means a LOT of extra work to get the steam client working on more than a few of them, let alone any games.

    Yet still people do it. Doom 3, Aquaria, Penumbra, Eschalon, World of Goo, X3 Reunion, Penny Arcade games.

    A different distro doesn't mean a different system. All the basic building blocks are still there.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Ginger 4 May 2010 21:11:32 6,830 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also, if Valve go for the most popular linux distro (ubuntu) and it works, then interested people will move over.

    I know linux is open, but there are very few other people commercialising it at the minute and if Valve getting the timing and positioning they will have the first to market benefit.

    London open taekwondo champion

  • Stop-gap 4 May 2010 21:15:03 329 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, if it's practical commercially, then good. Were those games through the efforts of the devs or community ones?
  • dominalien 4 May 2010 21:30:14 6,848 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Devs, there's no way to port a game without access to the code.

    id Software (used to?) make and provide linux versions of all things downloadable from their ftp

    Penumbra, Eschalon guys are small indie devs who appreciate the mac/linux sales. In fact, I think the Penumbra guys said they only made money with the mac/linux versions, since the Win version had a publisher (for whatever reason?)

    2dboy (makers of World of Goo) I think outsourced development of Linux versions, but had nice things to say about Linux sales of their game

    Penny Arcade guys clearly wanted platform parity (what with their game shop clearly advertising all 3 systems), but that doesn't seem to have taken them very far.

    X3 Reunion is made by Linux Game Publishing, an actual commercial company which publishes (and sometimes ports) for Linux games which had come out for Windows. They have some games, but they're unfortunately not the cream of the crop :-(

    Aquaria was ported by famous Linux developer icculus, but I don't know the details of the deal. It's been in open beta for a few months now (which can be freely downloaded and played through completion and seems playable indefinitely) with no official word of a final, paid release.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Deleted user 4 May 2010 21:38:57
    Ginger wrote:
    Also, if Valve go for the most popular linux distro (ubuntu) and it works, then interested people will move over.

    Windows works. Why don't they just move to that?
  • dominalien 4 May 2010 21:40:08 6,848 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh, just as I was posting this I was getting emails about the state of Aquaria and apparently it's done and available as part of a pay-what-you-want games bundle (not just for Linux):

    http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/The-Humble-Indie-Bundle

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Sharzam 4 May 2010 21:40:17 2,840 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My main PC is windows however i have a laptop also which is linux it has more than enourgh juice for most games. So it would be a nice extra, particularly the games with cloud support.


    I would imagine most people that like there gaming and linux would be in a simlier situation to me, however i cant see alot these days using Linux as there only gaming system unless dual boot. Wasnt always like this mind as other have mentioned there is alot out there for Linux. Open GL has been with us for a while now and alot of stuff that uses it can work on Linux some companys used to support both , wonder why they stopped.

    Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

  • JammyB 4 May 2010 21:41:32 756 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Edit: Fuck, beaten.

    Slightly off-topic but it might interest people in this thread:

    http://www.wolfire.com/humble

    World of Goo
    Aquria
    Gish
    LagaruHD
    Penumbra Overture

    The Humble Indie Bundle is a unique kind of bundle that we are trying out.

    Pay what you want. If you bought these five games separately, it would cost around $80 but we're letting you set the price!

    All of the games work great on Mac, Windows, and Linux. We didn't want to leave anyone out.
  • dominalien 4 May 2010 21:46:29 6,848 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @JammyB

    Actually, that link was given in icculus' mail, but it's incorrect.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Ginger 4 May 2010 21:46:57 6,830 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @spuds (on mobile so no quote) people choose Linux for lots of reasons. In the west it's probably idealism or for fun. In developing countries it might be more a cost thing.

    Not really the point though. There is a market which it seems valve would like to address, and if they get it right could be worth a penny or two.

    London open taekwondo champion

  • Page

    of 10 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply