Guild Wars 2 Page 16

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• SFD 21 Jul 2012 00:22:56 490 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm a little worried about the 'floaty' comments as GW2 is pretty much the main reason I've spent big on a new PC.

It all looks pretty fluid in the videos I've seen.

Luckily there's quite a few other PC games I want, but I'd rather not have to return to WoW for my MMO fix. It's been a bit crap for years and has the worst gaming community I've ever had the misfortune of playing with.
  • spamdangled 21 Jul 2012 00:24:10 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Erm, where do I register the key? I can't seem to find a way to register/sign up

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 21 Jul 2012 00:25:05 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SFD wrote:
    It's been a bit crap for years and has the worst gaming community I've ever had the misfortune of playing with.
    I've always found the wow community to be pretty good to be honest (official forums aside).

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• SFD 21 Jul 2012 00:32:28 490 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    SFD wrote:
    It's been a bit crap for years and has the worst gaming community I've ever had the misfortune of playing with.
    I've always found the wow community to be pretty good to be honest (official forums aside).
    Really? I really did struggle to go a couple of sessions without running into the stereotype WoW kid.

Do/did you play on PvP, PvE etc?
  • spamdangled 21 Jul 2012 00:40:38 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PVE (Azjol-Nerub server)

Aside from a handful of elitists (and the occasional dick from another server in LFG) I always found the community pretty friendly and helpful.

• graysonavich 21 Jul 2012 00:41:49 7,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Expose yourself to the dregs of society, you'll encounter the dregs of society.

People who complain about the community are generally ones who can't hold it together in a decent mature guild, to be honest.
  • Benno 21 Jul 2012 00:50:34 9,844 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I agree with what others have said, combat is laggy and floaty (I.e. it hasn't improved). I am not regretting buying though, I'll get a reasonable use out of it considering it's not pay monthly.
  • SFD 21 Jul 2012 00:58:28 490 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I played from launch til WoTLK and only had two guilds in all that time. Really good people and some seriously epic times.

Sadly even the perfect guild can't protect you from the typical WoW player. There's no doubt that there's some great people on WoW, I met quite a few in my time on the game.

I only played on a PvP server and a few real life friends that switched to PvE tell me it's much better on there. Could just be the server, though.
  • spamdangled 21 Jul 2012 01:02:53 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've always avoided PvP servers like the plague in any MMO. They're a magnet for dickheads.

• SFD 21 Jul 2012 01:10:36 490 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    WoW was the first time I'd gone PvP. The only reason I didn't reroll, or server transfer when they started up was my guild and 10+ real life friends that played on there.

I only really played SWG before WoW. So miss that game. Before the update, obviously.

Hopefully GW2 will be a great game.
  • Deleted user 21 July 2012 01:34:50
    imo the typical wow player is the one who doesn't say anything in /p /raid pugs and just gets on with it. As usual it's the vocal minority that are the most distasteful.
  • graysonavich 21 Jul 2012 01:44:50 7,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I barely pay attention to green /g, let alone any of the unwashed stuff!

Never understood the "QQmounity" side of things. Therefore I can only assume they're weirdos anyway.
  • Reacher 21 Jul 2012 02:18:54 819 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Got in to Beta this weekend. 1st time on GW2 having been a 7 year GW1 player since release.

It's fucking fantastic.
  • hypoBla5t 21 Jul 2012 07:33:14 1,395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's always taken me an hour or so to get into my stride on these beta weekends but once I'm sorted I always find it excellent. Glad we're gettin the chance to check out the new races, loving my Asura Thief at the moment and made a Sylvari Hunter as well.

The character creation in this is excellent as well, just making characters is fun enough. Will be making an Engineer and a Necromancer for sure at launch.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Jul 2012 09:16:52 37,851 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I managed to play for about an hour and a half last night, but life means I'll probably not get to play again.

I don't know if I like it or not :s

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• WinterSnowblind 21 Jul 2012 11:16:58 1,228 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Noticed a considerable boost in performance with this beta, but the optimisation still doesn't seem to be perfect.

The asura and sylvari starting stuff/creation are really great though, both of those races just have fantastic designs. The asura have really cute animations that help make them more endearing and the sylvari's bioluminescence is just really cool.

I still think the game throws too much at you too fast though, the early dynamic events are a complete cluster. I think the tutorial could at least limit the amount of players or even just be a single player instance. It would help people get to know the ropes before just throwing you into the deep end.
  • Rajin 21 Jul 2012 13:23:51 619 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Impressions so far is good, but i'm still no decicded whether i will buy the game. Quests aren't that much different and are over reliant on group events(which take to long, and always involve hordes of enemies) I was hoping for a bit more variety. Personal story is fun though and i can already see loads of tactical possibilities with skills.

A friend of mine promised that the combat would be active with dodging and all. While i can dodge twice every 12 sec most attacks are still glued towards the target besides the AoE attacks(but those aren't any different from WoW)

Graphics are okay and supported by a good art style but almost identical to guild wars 1.

I'm only level 7 so my impression will most likely change, but i already see a over reliance on world events continueing through the world, which tempers my interest.
  • Tryhard 21 Jul 2012 13:39:32 3,913 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Had my first taste of this as an Asura Guardian lastnight,pretty fun.The story could do with a bit more excitement.From what I have seen of the other classes stories.

The best moments were two instances when 30 Asura were attacking a shark underwater,and then there was 20 of us defending a generator from attack.
    Absolute chaos,and easy to miss someone who needed reviving.

I did not think my pc would run it very well,but with the amount that was going on,it was pretty smooth throughout in PvE anyway.

I think I picked the wrong world though,as everyone in chat is speaking Spanish.:lol:
  • onestepfromlost 21 Jul 2012 16:43:19 2,045 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Since i played GW for ages I am tempted by this more and more, but i havnt got a beta key (which is probably just as well or I might tip and buy)

I just dont think i can let another MMO take over my spare time. Meh i almost want to tho. How is the latest beta faring, Ive been hearing lots of performance issues etc.

Maybe ill just go back to the original GW and play there again even if the servers are empty :p

Edited by onestepfromlost at 16:43:59 21-07-2012
  • ZuluHero 21 Jul 2012 16:47:52 4,100 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Chat system is really crap and so is the auto targeting. One minute targetting an enemy, next minute it will be a bunny, just because it wandered into the fray. Really doesn't help that you still fire the ability even out of range and if you hit anything it targets that instead. That's gonna take some getting used to...

I think I've killed more harmless benign creatures than anything else. Still, turning off the auto target in the options helps a bit.

Also I recently built the DF pc, and I'm happy to report it copes well in this, most of the time 50-60+ at 1920x1080 on the notch higher than balanced with a few custom settings (I don't like the AA in this for instance). It does take a hit when it gets super crazy on screen, though this is at the point where I can't see whats going on as there are so many effects and characters on screen (while I target bunnies).

I really like it though!

Edited by ZuluHero at 16:49:27 21-07-2012
  • Tryhard 21 Jul 2012 19:52:54 3,913 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I love how new weapons create new attacks.So I just picked up this warhammer for the first time.And the ground pound area effect is something to behold.I have a staff for range and switch up to the hammer for close in.

The most enjoyment for me is the large group of players working together in instances.Viewing vistas is a nice addition to the build especially watching my Asuara hop his way to scary high tops.
  • spamdangled 22 Jul 2012 15:43:42 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have to say, I'm really, really enjoying this. I'm one of the weird goblin-stitch creatures and still only in the starting area, but it oozes charm and personality, the voice acting isn't bad, and I like the smattering of small, localised quest chains that culminate in an event in each little area of the map. I like the gradual unlocking of abilities through using others, and there seems to be a fair bit of depth to combat with timing dodges and combo systems with other players.

I even quite like the animation.

• Benno 22 Jul 2012 16:01:32 9,844 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I find that I am under leveled all the time. I run out of little hearts to go visit :(
  • Benno 22 Jul 2012 17:00:25 9,844 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You cant repeat hearts? and there is store bought xp boosts? whatttt
  • WinterSnowblind 22 Jul 2012 17:12:16 1,228 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The XP boosts are not exclusive to the cash shop and provide a negligible amount of experience (there's actually a topic on Guild Wars Guru detailing the maths behind it). The game just expects you to do more than just the heart quests. Try looking around for more random dynamic events that may not have popped up the first time, or just explore some of the wilderness and towns.

Exploring actually gives you a significant chunk of XP. Fully mapping a city should get you up a couple of levels.
  • spamdangled 22 Jul 2012 17:14:28 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yep, I'm not having a problem with XP. Between gathering, events, killing mobs, exploring, unlocking vistas, and completing story quests, I'm well ahead of the curve for where I should be at this point in the story.

• Benno 22 Jul 2012 17:30:36 9,844 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah but I don't want to do everything. I couldn't care less about gathering berries or viewing vistas. I like how they have made all these other aspects more rewarding, and power to the people who like doing that, but I prefer just hammering away at public quests and killing stuff.

The whole point of adding rewards for different activities is surely to offer people more options in their leveling. If the leveling curve is calibrated towards an individual performing all those tasks then the increase in choice is an illusion and the leveling is actually more linear than the likes of WoW, as I am forced to tick every box.

Edited by Benno at 17:31:08 22-07-2012

Edited by Benno at 17:31:43 22-07-2012
  • Page

of 79 First / Last