Guild Wars 2 Page 70

• Page

of 78 First / Last

• Dgzter 26 Jan 2013 20:44:50 124 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I picked this up a few days ago as I wanted something to mess around with that didn't have the 'commitment-issues' I associate with WoW (though I keep my account active as GW has no sub fee). I've tried tons of MMOs over the years, but have always ended up back in Azeroth and I'm pretty attached to my druid that I made at launch.

That being said, I've REALLY enjoyed GW2 so far. Only level 15 on my 'main' (at least, first char), so can't really comment as to its longevity or endgame, but I certainly feel like I'll get my 50 worth.

I'm actually on Desolation, but none of my WoW guild play, so if there was an EG guild happy to accept a casual player, and a verifiable GW nub, then I'd definitely sign up :)
  • brokenkey 26 Jan 2013 22:40:09 6,945 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There is a guild on desolation. post your name.number thing and I'll ping you an invite.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• RedSparrows 26 Jan 2013 23:29:45 22,079 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is there any way to download this at less than 50?!
  • WinterSnowblind 27 Jan 2013 00:52:10 1,225 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    So I've been thinking about getting into this. Seven years of WoW and now I have a choice between getting Mists of Pandaria or this. I've read the reviews and how "there is no end game" in GW2 but people are telling me there is a lot of other things going for this game.

Any thoughts from anyone? Is there an EG guild and does it have any members? And are there any recommendations where to buy the game. The official website and Amazon want a whopping 50 for the standard edition!
    It really depends on what type of game you're looking for. The exploration/adventuring side of things in GW2 are really amazing, but there's much less of a focus on "numbers". Gear levels out at a certain point, so there's no a constant grind to look for better and better equipment, which is why a lot of people claim there's no "end game". There's a lot to do, but if you need the carrot on a stick to keep playing, you'll find there's little to strive for besides cosmetics.

Updates to the achievement/reward system in the coming months seems to be an attempt to add some direction though. Basically, it's not something everyone will enjoy, but if you do, there's a lot there to love.

As for the price, it has been on sale a couple of times, but considering there's no subscription costs, they're banking on making most of the profit from box sales and future expansions, so I wouldn't expect any significant price drops for a very long time and considering the amount of content in the game and the amount of free updates we've had since launch, it's really hard to argue with.
  • RedSparrows 27 Jan 2013 09:45:53 22,079 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    i get their model, and can see the argument. Just...

The sound of exploration/adventure is the key for me.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 27 Jan 2013 10:22:58 37,389 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I need to get back in to this. I've not played it since I reinstalled it on my SSD.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Dgzter 27 Jan 2013 11:43:39 124 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    There is a guild on desolation. post your name.number thing and I'll ping you an invite.
    Cheers :) My thingy is Dagzter.7468 and I'll mainly be on in the evenings (will be later tonight due to RL commitments).
  • Gl3n Moderator 27 Jan 2013 12:40:32 5,325 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is the guild still reasonably active?

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• ZuluHero 27 Jan 2013 12:56:43 4,030 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I only ever see one or two people on. During the last event ut was more active. I am on a different server and guild though i do still check the guild pane to see who's about.
  • andytheadequate 27 Jan 2013 13:38:43 8,083 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Is there any way to download this at less than 50?!
    I l know its not a download, but amazon usually have it for around 35
  • brokenkey 27 Jan 2013 14:10:22 6,945 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    if you haven't read the last page - tomorrow they start charging for World transfers, so if you want to hop over to Desolation, try to do it today.

I don't think we can describe the guild as active - the game doesn't really encourage group play, and the guild leader role isn't available on desolation. However, since you can be a member of 4 guild at any time, its not really an issue.

3DS 3497-0122-1484

• dsmx 28 Jan 2013 00:23:55 7,563 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OK I've been lurking for a bit so might as well say I'm playing the game now now I'm finally able to appear on desolation, characters name is funnily enough dsmx on it, at the moment I'm a lowly lvl 22 in my human ranger and I'm just exploring the world at the moment and I've never played guild wars before.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Tryhard 28 Jan 2013 07:30:03 3,725 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Taken a months break from GW2.Left the EG Guild.Moved from GH server to Desolation.Joined a small Guild,that died.Decided to set up my own one man Guild.

Now waiting to see what content is being added today and the months a head before jumping back in.Which is the beauty of no subs,but also its own downfall.
  • Reacher 28 Jan 2013 08:22:35 719 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not that I am trying to drag people away from EG guild, but if anyone is stuck and is on or moves to Gandara (EU) server, I'm in a large, active and accommodating guild there.

pm : Kanyon Ranger for more info in game, or me on here.
  • Daz190uk 28 Jan 2013 09:01:06 67 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I just started playing this a week or so ago. Now a level 17 warrior on Desolation. I'm really enjoying the levelling so far, nice to play something a little different.

As far as end game goes, I've no experience of it, but from reading around it seems to be what you make of it really. There is gear to get but it's not the endless WoW treadmill, there are World Events to do but these sound a little limited. It seems to me as though a lot of the focus is on the PvP and WvWvW play for which you will need an active guild to enjoy if experience from past MMOs holds true.
  • brokenkey 28 Jan 2013 09:41:19 6,945 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tryhard wrote:
    Taken a months break from GW2.Left the EG Guild.Moved from GH server to Desolation.Joined a small Guild,that died.Decided to set up my own one man Guild.

Now waiting to see what content is being added today and the months a head before jumping back in.Which is the beauty of no subs,but also its own downfall.
    Did you actually leave Newer Level or just stop representing it? The main benefit of being in a guild is that you all pool the guild influence to buy upgrades - so you'll do that faster in a guild with just two other people on the server than one.

Jambob has been in touch and is trying to sort out promotion/guild leadership transfer, so we should be ok soon-ish for the upgrades.

Edited by brokenkey at 09:41:50 28-01-2013

3DS 3497-0122-1484

• RedSparrows 28 Jan 2013 10:57:25 22,079 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just ordered this. I've wanted an MMO again, and this sounds good in that it's no sub, allows/rewards exploration (my chief love in gaming, really), and by the sounds of the above doesn't suck you in too much.

Desolation the server, is it?
  • Tryhard 28 Jan 2013 11:28:46 3,725 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I just went with my own thing really.Just a bit of fun guild for myself [LOST] Lost in Socks.Managed to get a karma banner set up to help fellow adventurers on the Cursed Shore.

This should get the ball rolling again for me, more of a PvE player,the world needs more events.When you have run through with a few characters it starts to drag seeing the same thing over again.
  • brokenkey 28 Jan 2013 11:40:19 6,945 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Banners and storage are they key benefits for a guild (IMHO)

3DS 3497-0122-1484

• SClaw 28 Jan 2013 12:10:27 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    *chin rub* Anyone remember what my character name was? Hawk... something??

Somewhat... eh... "amusingly", as I gave some password advise earlier in this thread, I've forgotten what I'm super long password was. Damn if I can remember it. Or my character's name, which you need for a reset.

Balls. Need a new brain.
  • brokenkey 28 Jan 2013 12:35:33 6,945 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is your account name (name.number) in here somewhere? If it is then we should be able to find it in the guild roster.

3DS 3497-0122-1484

• SClaw 28 Jan 2013 12:49:43 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That bit I have - Claw.6421

Just shows you how much I've bothered with the game since the first month...
  • Dgzter 28 Jan 2013 16:15:13 124 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @brokenkey

What's your name.number matey, so I can drop you a tell for an inv. Just at lvl22 at the moment, but would be nice to have some background g.chat.
  • brokenkey 28 Jan 2013 16:52:28 6,945 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm brokenkey.8357. Anyone that wants an invite please ping me an in-game note with your name.number, and I'll add you. likely to be quicker than posting it on here :)

3DS 3497-0122-1484

• SClaw 28 Jan 2013 20:19:09 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My problem partly solved... apparently I saved my password for game login, so I got my name. Phew. Dumbass me.
  • SClaw 29 Jan 2013 08:34:16 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fixed! Ok so I'm transfered to Deso because Gunnars was dead when I had a poke around. Still no particular plans to play much... but I might jump in now and then. This game offers no particular reason to keep playing unfortunately.
  • WinterSnowblind 29 Jan 2013 09:39:20 1,225 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For fun? Personally, I'm very happy they don't try to force gameplay with the carrot on the stick or endless time sinks.

The game just had a massive update that adds the first chapter of the new story content and the improved daily system with laurel rewardsm which should give the game a bit more direction for those who want clear goals after finishing the story stuff. They're still in the process of revamping the achievements, but it's still a pretty big improvement as it is.
  • Dgzter 29 Jan 2013 10:32:33 124 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm having a blast with the levelling at the moment (currently lvl27), particularly experimenting with weapon swapping and combos. I'll obviously only be able to judge endgame if and when I get there, but so far so good for the time being.

As a relative noob, I was completely unaware of the new patch being deployed last night until I received a three minute 'Server Restart' warning in the middle of a longish dynamic events chain - finished it with less than 15 seconds to go before I was booted :) felt pretty pleased with myself.

It plays a bit crap on my five year old laptop, although it's probably a miracle at all that it works, but it's making a very casual and welcome change to my old MMO habits - and worryingly I find that 'completing' zones and exploring the map is really working for me in terms of game time and achieveable goals etc.
  • RedSparrows 29 Jan 2013 10:59:31 22,079 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds ideal for me. I don't want endgame carrots.
  • Page

of 78 First / Last