Guild Wars 2

• Page

of 79 First / Last

Previous
  • JediMasterMalik 1 May 2010 12:10:29 11,820 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

Some actual information revealed, more info at the blog.

-No Monthly Fees
    -A proper MMO, persistent world and all
    -really cool spell graphics :p

Some of the shots look great, looking forward to seeing more, hopefully it's not too far away either.

Be interesting to see how they finance the servers without a monthly fee, I don't mind the real world money shop idea, as long as they don't make it essential to playing the game properly. Advertising outsie the game world could work too, like in the launcher or something.

9 part walkthrough of the Human starting area and a charr area also. (this is part 1)
  • brokenkey 1 May 2010 12:22:25 7,028 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Guild wars 1 has had the same model for the last 5 years, I wouldn't worry too much about advertising or monthly fees or micro transactions.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• JediMasterMalik 1 May 2010 12:24:43 11,820 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Guild wars 1 has had the same model for the last 5 years, I wouldn't worry too much about advertising or monthly fees or micro transactions.
    That's the word I was looking for. :D

But the original GW, would not have had the same server costs, as it was instance based, not an open persistent world. The only thing that was server based, was the non instanced hubs. This will be very different.
  • Tetsuo_Shima 1 May 2010 14:37:41 97 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No more secondary professions! For better or for worse ...
  • DFawkes 1 May 2010 19:41:25 22,938 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not totally sure about no secondaries, that was one of the defining features. Then again, looking at my characters most are focused on the Primary anyway - indeed it'd probably give a bit more focus for the new combat system.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• brokenkey 1 May 2010 20:13:24 7,028 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    well you have to have a healing skill, and many secondaries were monk, so that sort of covers that off. Not mine though, I was a spiteful spirit necro/mes.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• George-Roper 1 May 2010 22:24:01 704 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:

You would be a fool to believe that GW2 won't have any costs, hidden or otherwise this time around.

WoW rakes in a record amount of revenue each month and yet we've seen Blizzard now move into micro-transactions. SoE arguably held the MMO crown for many years based purely on monthly sub, yet now has Live Gamer shops for pretty much all its games, with Free Realms operating mostly on micro-transactions.

Give me one reason why a business, seeing how the MMO markets have changed over the last 5 years, would release a new MMO and not have some kind of revenue around it.
  • M83J01P97 2 May 2010 15:03:54 6,652 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This isn't going to run on bog standard PC's anymore is it?

That was the one thing I loved about the original GW. I could put it on my cheap old lap top when I was working away from home for a few days, and it would still run smoothly and look beautiful.
  • Immaterial 7 May 2010 16:52:08 1,364 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just got the Guild Wars complete collection (includes Eyes of the North)- anyone else still playing this?

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• Tetsuo_Shima 12 May 2010 21:13:40 97 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I am, I've still got two campaigns to complete (NF and EotN).
  • Nasty 21 Jul 2010 12:47:20 4,742 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some big info spooges in the last few weeks. Dynamic Events sounds like MMO nirvana. Hope they make it work.
  • LockeTribal 21 Jul 2010 12:50:27 4,513 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ooh, if anyone's up for playing the original GW sometime let me know. I've a character in Prophecies (Locket Rival) and one in Factions (Locke Trivial), and would enjoy the company :)
  • iokthemonkey 21 Jul 2010 14:58:32 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If GW2 lives up to its promise, I think it's going to be as revolutionary as the jump from EQ to WoW.

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• Deleted user 21 July 2010 15:32:08
    Nasty wrote:
    Some big info spooges in the last few weeks. Dynamic Events sounds like MMO nirvana. Hope they make it work.

That feature sounds like it's rife for abuse. Watch as the Guild Wars 2 Goonswarm equivalent destroys entire servers!

Letting the player have control over the world can be a mistake if you allow them too much freedom because assholes love to grief. You should provide more of a fixed world sandbox for the playerbase to play around in not with.
  • Nasty 21 Jul 2010 16:55:20 4,742 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would imagine the stuff they are talking about is purely PvE stuff though, not like WAR where the massive RvR zerg results in an entire faction being gimped off the map in about 20 minutes.

What I think they are getting at from a technical point of view is for what would be a traditional quest hub to exist in several different states i.e taking WoWs phasing and WARs public quests and making them work together. Your involvement is captured on the fly and you are rewarded accordingly but the results of the 'public quest' affect the actual game world far more than WAR ever implemented.

I agree with iok, despite taking ideas that are already out there to some degree, if they pull it off, it will be the kick up the arse mmorpgs have been sadly lacking.

• ZuluHero 21 Jul 2010 17:02:38 4,142 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It'll probably end up more like the original guild wars or lotro.
  • Orange 21 Jul 2010 17:15:58 4,790 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sounds good. Phasing and PQs are two things that worked really nicely and I expect Arenanet will be able to improve them even more.
  • Stuart444 3 Aug 2010 18:28:14 7 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There has been a lot of information about Guild Wars 2 over the past few months but just so people know, the first ever public hands on demo will be at Gamescom (I think on the 19th?) and the first english hands on demo will be at Pax at the start of september. Lots to look forward to I think :)
  • Deleted user 3 August 2010 19:00:51
    I had a good old bash at Guild Wars back in the day, and it was an enjoyable game, but the one thing i did feel that was holding it back was the empty feeling of the world. I know it's stupid, but there are simple pleasures to be had in just watching other people do their thing or interacting with them, even if its in a minor way.

Something that always sticks out in my mind was a moment in Final Fantasy XI where i was still new to the game, and died horribly when attempting to solo a mob. When you die you lose XP, but you get most of it back if someone rezzes you. There i was lying on the ground about to suck up the XP loss and spawn back in town when a passing white mage on a Chocobo spotted me, ran over, dismounted and started casting the lenghty and costly (MP wise) spell Raise III.

You just can't get those little moments unless you have a fully persistant open world. Of course on the flipside nothing pissed me off more in Warcraft when you'd get some massive wanker who is 60 levels higher than you running around twatting lower level players.
  • Jeepers 3 Aug 2010 19:04:23 13,181 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RyanGraubner wrote:
    You just can't get those little moments unless you have a fully persistant open world. Of course on the flipside nothing pissed me off more in Warcraft when you'd get some massive wanker who is 60 levels higher than you running around twatting lower level players.

I never understood why Blizzard didn't set triggers that would kick-in once someone had killed XX people of YY levels below them. Once they had, change their mount into a pathetic pink chicken or something. Make it get smaller and more pathetic the more they killed lower-level people.

A badge of dishonour type thing.
  • tenofspades 9 Aug 2010 09:52:41 1,693 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    as far as mmos go- this is probably the only title* I have actually had some belief it might be something special. They have the mmo history, and more importantly the talent and will be very interesting to see how it does. The only worry is it being Free to play- that audience is a bit of a nightmare.

*Sorry FFXV too.
  • Nasty 10 Aug 2010 22:26:03 4,742 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Excuse my language but...holy fuck!

Edit: Eejit. Just spotted it on EGTV.
  • Machetazo 11 Aug 2010 14:02:02 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Details of GamesCom demo - Arenanet to forego sleep to support the show - playing GW2 remotely with attendees!
  • JediMasterMalik 18 Aug 2010 18:54:03 11,820 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cam footage of some gameplay, looking good to me. :)

And shit loads of art on the wiki.
  • George-Roper 18 Aug 2010 21:17:19 704 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JediMasterMalik wrote:
    Cam footage of some gameplay, looking good to me. :)

And shit loads of art on the wiki.

Looks very good. The only MMO i'm even remotely interested in, now.
  • telboy007 18 Aug 2010 22:00:31 453 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I loved Guild Wars, but Eve takes up enough of my time already... argh!

Unlocked the achievement Exploring Uranus

• Zaiz 19 Aug 2010 18:15:59 370 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is anyone else lolling that NCsoft is trying to sell Aion next to GW2? I mean really, the gulf in quality is enormous. Aion is grindy to the max and completely uninspired visually, where GW2 won't be either of those, I hope.

Oh, and GW2 will have a tweaky character creator, glee. I love tweaky character creators.
  • JediMasterMalik 22 Aug 2010 00:10:57 11,820 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    9 part walkthrough of the Human starting area and a charr area also. (this is part 1)
  • DFawkes 22 Aug 2010 00:53:27 22,938 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have to admit I had certain concerns, mostly that it just wouldn't feel like Guild Wars. After that walkthrough, I don't feel that'll be an issue in the slightest, and I now NEED it.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Page

of 79 First / Last

Previous