The Dark Knight Rises (Batman 3) Page 131

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• Deleted user 27 January 2013 16:52:47
    You're responding mostly to kalel, and that's almost exactly what he's been saying.
  • kalel 27 Jan 2013 16:54:47 87,921 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you think my opinions are nothing more than lazy, argumentative and simply wrong, then I'm not going to waste my time voicing them.
  • afghan_jones 30 Jan 2013 10:07:47 3,040 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow, heated stuff.

Personally I do think it's a great film, for a lot of reasons. But the really big draw for me is the way they set up the universe as a place where Batman really could die.

As someone who's read a ton of comics, watched the tv shows & movies, played the games etc, Batman has never really been at risk of death. Not really. Because whatever peril he's in, you know he's going to get out of it. Even 'actually' dying in the comics isn't necessarily a permanent problem.

But in the Nolan world, you beleive that Batman dying is a real possibility. Watching that helicopter flying off over the bay was genuinely emotional for me as it was the first time in a lifetime of Breading/watching Batman stories, that I really truly thought he might die. Obviously doesnt quite work out that way but still, that one moment of thinking I might actually watch Batman die for 'real', outweighed any of the nitpciky issues the film might have had up to then.
  • Tuffty 30 Jan 2013 11:11:27 1,605 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Especially when there is a fuck off piece of equipment hanging off his face screaming "THIS IS MY WEAK SPOT" for the entire film.
    Is it though? We know it's a weak point because we've read the comics and know about the character, but is that really so obvious to the characters encountering him for the first time?
  • GuiltySpark 30 Jan 2013 11:16:46 6,401 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Especially when there is a fuck off piece of equipment hanging off his face screaming "THIS IS MY WEAK SPOT" for the entire film.
    Is it though? We know it's a weak point because we've read the comics and know about the character, but is that really so obvious to the characters encountering him for the first time?
    Yes, it really, really is. Especially for a detective. At the very least, it's the first place you'd try.

Get bent.

• kinky_mong 30 Jan 2013 11:28:18 10,353 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Every time you notice an inconsistency like that, a wizard did it. - Chris Nolan talking about TDKR, 2012

Edited by kinky_mong at 11:28:59 30-01-2013

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• SuperCoolEskimo 30 Jan 2013 14:45:32 9,884 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love Bane. The look, mask, voice, brutality etc, excellent villain. People would be talking about him like they do Ledger's Joker but TDKR had so many other characters that I think Bane was underused.

Only negative about the film is it felt a bit rushed even at 2+ hours. TDK was deeper in terms of exploring/developing the characters and their relationships, TDKR not as much.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Jan 2013 14:49:08 7,441 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That's because there were like half a dozen more useless characters to keep track of, eating up screen time.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 30 Jan 2013 14:54:49 9,884 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes my point exactly.
  • ecureuil 30 Jan 2013 14:56:55 76,874 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    I love Bane. The look, mask, voice, brutality etc, excellent villain. People would be talking about him like they do Ledger's Joker but TDKR had so many other characters that I think Bane was underused.
    Can't say I agree with that. He's not a terribly interesting villain, and I think perhaps his weird voice is the only thing that prevents him from being completely forgettable.
  • nickthegun 30 Jan 2013 14:58:05 60,136 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If the crowded cast caused anyone to be underused, it was The Batman.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• LeoliansBro 30 Jan 2013 15:08:48 44,416 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There was so much of the film that was filler. When you get down to it, what was the point in TDKR of:

Matthew Modine?
    That sour faced bloke off Layer Cake and Torchwood?
    The nuclear scientist?
    Tom Conti?
    The multitude of cameos from earlier films (even Alfred)?
    JGL?
    Fucking Catwoman?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Mola_Ram 30 Jan 2013 15:18:03 7,441 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I liked Catwoman, even if she didn't seem all that necessary plot-wise. She brought a bit of humour to proceedings, and I think more humour was very welcome.

Particularly given how... well, I don't want to use the word "silly", but really there were a lot of things about the film that were silly, and for me that jarred with the pretty serious tone that it took throughout.
  • LeoliansBro 30 Jan 2013 15:26:57 44,416 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Silly is right, but it's more than that - there was a whole 'playing with fire' thing from the second film which was huge, and totally missing in the third. In TDK the creation of Batman has led to the deaths of the police Commissioner, a judge, two DAs (including Batman's love interest, the one person he tried to keep safe), copycat vigilantes etc. In TDKR Batman led to the death of Johnny McFucking-Nobody. Everyone who died would have done so without Batman at all.

It's like Nolan stopped asking 'what would be the real world ramifications of a resourceful and resourced vigilante' and started asking 'wouldn't it be cool if all the concrete in Gotham was explosive and we painted a big fire bat on a bridge'.

• DUFFMAN5 24 May 2013 06:44:22 14,781 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The poorest of the trilogy for me. I still don't like Bale's mouth/chin combo! when wearing the cowl (to qualify Stallon's Dredd mouth/chin combo was spot on) actually I don't much care for the actor at all, although I do seem to like the films he is in.

Thought Bain was underused, although I do not know enough of the Batman lore to know if he is one of Batman's main nemesis or should that be Nemisi.

I though Hathaway was very good and looked mighty fine in the Catsuit. Hardy, well I kept getting flashbacks to the South Park parody, so hard to take seriously. Freeman and Cain were ok.

Story was serviceable, set pieces ok. Batman/Bains confrontations were shite though. I still think BB is the best run very close by DK, and this trailing somewhat behind.
    So from me:
    70%

p.s. posted in last film watched as well

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• SuperCoolEskimo 24 May 2013 09:35:30 9,884 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 The South Park parody was hilarious, love that episode. I'm glad I watched TDKR before seeing that!
  • Baihu1983 24 May 2013 10:16:26 3,458 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bane.
  • Triggerhappytel 20 Sep 2013 22:16:57 2,695 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Watching this right now. It's a bit overly dour and moody at the beginning, isn't it? Not sure what to make of Bane yet but Selina Kyle is great. Can't we jettison Bruce Wayne and have it be about Joseph Gordon-Levitt instead?

And does Alfred only speak in monologues?!

Edited by Triggerhappytel at 22:24:45 20-09-2013
  • Triggerhappytel 20 Sep 2013 22:27:53 2,695 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, I see they've gone full-on comic book silliness with this one.
  • CharlieStCloud 21 Sep 2013 08:25:04 5,219 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't even watch these ones anymore.

... the original Burton Batman and Returns are so much better.

I like Begins and thought the Joker was superb in Dark Knight however, the last one was just entirely forgettable.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2013 11:09:20
    Fucking hell. The original Burton batman are so awful they need to be burned in a fire and forgotten about. I know opinions are personal but I honestly think you have to be a bit spastic to prefer them to anything.
  • BeardedGamerUK 21 Sep 2013 11:14:15 1,463 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    mowgli wrote:
    I know opinions are personal but I honestly think you have to be a bit spastic to prefer them to anything.
    Comment of the month :D And I totally agree with you! They're only slightly less comedies than the 1960's tv series.
  • LeoliansBro 21 Sep 2013 11:19:24 44,416 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, Batman is a serious and grounded character in a serious and grounded world, and any attempt to portray him with anything other than total po faced humourlessness is objectively wrong.

Stop being twats, you're one viewing of Batman Returns away from LEAVE BATMAN ALONE.

• Deleted user 21 September 2013 11:26:42
    It's not even about that. They are just awful films. They are shit standalone films, they are shit batman films. Fuck they are even shit Burton films and that is saying something. In don't need batman to be poe faced and gruff, I just need him not to be in a shit film.
  • LeoliansBro 21 Sep 2013 11:30:16 44,416 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, you used the phrase 'shit film' four times in that paragraph but didn't expand on it any more than that. If I say 'Burton's Batman is a great film x 5' do I win the point?

• LeoliansBro 21 Sep 2013 11:37:17 44,416 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I mean, if arch gothic campiness isn't to your taste then all well and good, but at least it recognises Batman for what the character is: wish fulfilment for twelve year old boys. He's super rich (check), doesn't have parents to tell him what to do (check) but has a servant to clean up after him (check), he's really good at fighting (check) and doesn't have a girlfriend but that's ok because he's dark and aloof (check), as well as being really clever (check) and having all these wonderful toys to use (check) as he goes on his adventures (check) earning the gratitude and thanks of everyone (check).

If anything, it's the attempt to put such an exaggerated and ridiculous characterisation into a real world setting that is embarrassing.

• muttler 21 Sep 2013 17:19:51 4,062 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    It's not even about that. They are just awful films. They are shit standalone films, they are shit batman films. Fuck they are even shit Burton films and that is saying something. In don't need batman to be poe faced and gruff, I just need him not to be in a shit film.
    Shut the fuck up mowgli.  Burton rules, as do most of his Batman films, certainly the first one does.  It was a film that defined its era.  Or has your mommy only recently squeezed you out all over her chair?
  • sport 21 Sep 2013 17:46:04 12,758 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I use to enjoy films before joining EG. Now I deconstruct, I deconstruct as if the lives of my Internet friends depended on it.

Edited by sport at 17:49:21 21-09-2013
  • ecureuil 21 Sep 2013 17:50:21 76,874 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Prometheus is better than TDKR.
  • MatMan562 21 Sep 2013 17:59:51 2,475 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I watched the Tim Burton Batman movies after seeing the Christopher Nolan Trilogy and I much preffered the first two to any of the more recent ones! I also much preffered Jack Nicholson's Joker to heath Ledger's. I do really like the Nolan films but I wish they didn't take themselves as seriously.

I think we can all agree that we should completely destroy all evidence of the Batman & Robin film though...

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Page

of 132 First / Last