Bungie leaves evil corporation Microsoft to work with saintly holy Activision Page 9

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• Khanivor 29 Apr 2010 19:01:38 40,554 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll bet ya there are a few puckering assholes at Blizzard concerning both the implied nature of the new IP and Activision's recent displays of loyalty.
  • Deleted user 29 April 2010 19:03:52
    WooHoo!!! wrote:
    Wouldn't Activision have Bungie by the balls after they pour so much investment into the new IP that when it releases Activision basically get their way. We have exclusive rights to the IP so play by our rules or it doesn't get released. Bungie are going to get screwed.
    Don't tell morriss.
  • Peew971 29 Apr 2010 19:04:22 4,710 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    Peew971 wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:
    That whole article is gold. I especially love this:

if you want the best content available from the industry's most renowned developers, today's announcement further signifies that PlayStation 3 will be the only place to get it.

Yeah.
    That said, it's getting closer to him being right. The only relevant studios left at MGS are Lionhead and Turn 10 (343 Industries have yet to release a game).

Turn10 isn't MGS owned, is it? MS began moving away from owning developers a few years ago. I think their plan is to pay 3rd parties for exclusives.

Oh, and don't forget Rare! :p
    I didn't forget Rare but I did say relevant ;)
  • Deleted user 29 April 2010 19:08:55
    "really important things to us like the fact that we remain an independent company, the fact that we will actually own this IP outright, the fact that we have a significant degree of creative control "

Notice "significant degree". Seems like the other considerations of ownership and independance come first and foremost over the creative control. I guess it covers the financial consideration, but you would expect Bungie to put more weight on the artistic creative aspect.
  • Doomspoon 29 Apr 2010 19:12:55 2,464 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Peew971 wrote:
    Quote of the week:

"When Bungie's amazing talent and creative minds are unleashed and married with the incredible power of PlayStation 3, amazing things will happen.

Hmm Halo's Scarabs are a bit like giant crabs in appearance.

Massive damage indeed.
  • Syrette 29 Apr 2010 19:31:19 43,355 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I think their plan is to pay 3rd parties for exclusives.

Not doing a very good job of that then are they?

Honestly, it's like they're trying to make me buy a PS3.

It's as if they don't see the benefit of having exclusive IP outside of definite bankers such as Halo and Gears.

Take a risk please MS. You know, some new IP, buying a dev studio... you know, something that makes me remain comfortable with just owning a 360 this gen.

• Deleted user 29 April 2010 19:39:24
    I don't think MS will ever struggle for exclusives.
  • The-Bodybuilder 29 Apr 2010 19:44:48 14,148 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I initially liked MSs plan of just creating/owning the IPs exclusively with the developers still having independence.

The problem of course is you end up with situations like with crackdown. What happens when the dev wants to do something else and you want a sequel? Surely you can't just keep creating new devs to make you sequels.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 29 Apr 2010 19:44:52 8,934 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's very likely an MMO.

Remember kids, Microsoft still has a minority ownership in Bungie. And by minority, I think it's literally 49%. They signed a deal for 1 game over a 10-year period. That has MMO written all over it, and thus hitting a larger audience becomes key to success.
  • oceanmotion 29 Apr 2010 19:46:37 15,840 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What exclusives are they going to get now ?

User bases are quite hefty for all three. Slim pickens when most studios are tied up with bigger publishers. It's going to be a Natal shitfest the rest of this generation with a Halo and Gears title sprinkled with PGR and maybe Forza along with Peter M trying to make an even simpler game that takes one finger to play. E3 2010 better be amazing.
  • RedSparrows 29 Apr 2010 19:50:01 22,332 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just buy a PS3 or whatever then! Sheesh, you people are odd.
  • Peew971 29 Apr 2010 19:53:12 4,710 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Eddy-the-Ed wrote:
    I don't think MS will ever struggle for exclusives.
    I'm not sure timed exclusives will work in their favour in the long run. At the end of the day if you can get the same games a bit later plus some PS3 exclusives you'll consider getting a PS3.
    Plus there's only one Gears left and they don't own the IP, that's not good.
  • JYM60 29 Apr 2010 19:56:45 16,813 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Huge multiplat online shooter?

Like Halo, but good?

360 vs PS3 online?

Hopefully nothing like MAG?

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• Peew971 29 Apr 2010 20:02:39 4,710 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think 360 vs PS3 online will ever happen but one can dream :)
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 29 Apr 2010 20:08:26 8,934 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Final Fantasy XI
  • oceanmotion 29 Apr 2010 20:08:53 15,840 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wonder if Bungie can make the PS3 controller not shit for FPS, probably not.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 29 Apr 2010 20:11:39 37,886 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    It's very likely an MMO.

Remember kids, Microsoft still has a minority ownership in Bungie. And by minority, I think it's literally 49%. They signed a deal for 1 game over a 10-year period. That has MMO written all over it, and thus hitting a larger audience becomes key to success.
    I thought it was one IP over a ten-year period... Bungie would own the IP, but Activision would publish it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Peew971 29 Apr 2010 20:25:22 4,710 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    Final Fantasy XI
    Oh yeah that's right... Here's to hope.
  • JYM60 29 Apr 2010 20:41:03 16,813 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WooHoo!!! wrote:
    I wonder if Bungie can make the PS3 controller not shit for FPS, probably not.
    R1 for life.

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• Deleted user 30 April 2010 06:39:07
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 30 April 2010 09:18:31
    cozeny wrote:
    ^notsureifserious.jpg

Pretty serious overall, with just a dash of episode III ending for dramatic effect. ;)

I liked the relationship between MS and Bungie, they brought us a lot more than just a few games and now although we have 343 Industries taking over I can't help but feel that an era has ended and that future Halo IP might not be quite the same.

Both platforms have their exclusive dev relationships, and although exclusives are going the way of the Dodo, the few that are left should be cherished, IMO, as sometimes they produce something that a multiplatform dev wouldnt.

Of course how you take this news pretty much depends on how much you like Halo.

In all honesty, without Halo I wouldnt feel the same about gaming. At the time Halo was released I was bored with consoles and getting bored with gaming in general. It took 1 hour of playing Halo at a friends house to make me go immediately to the shops and buy an Xbox and I havent stopped console gaming since.

I kinda felt the same way when Metallica first teamed up with Bob 'I hate musicians' Rock and produced the pop-rock Black album. The day Metallica shook Rock's hand was the day the band died and a new set of personalities were born.

But hey, this is just one persons opinion.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
  • oceanmotion 22 May 2012 20:45:20 15,840 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Contract

Details of video game publisherActivision Blizzard Inc.'s high-profile deal in 2010 with Bungie Inc. to make an original game series has been made public for the first time as part of a separate lawsuit involving the Call of Duty game franchise.

The deal with Bungie, considered one of the hottest studios in the industry, at the time helped Activision save face in the midst of an ugly legal fight with former Call of Duty developers Jason West and Vincent Zampella, whom Activision had fired a month earlier in March 2010. But at what cost?

Activision's contract with Bungie, recently unsealed as part of Activision's lawsuit against West and Zampella, outlines exactly what those costs are.

The 27-page agreement calls for Bungie to develop four "sci-fantasy, action shooter games," code-named "Destiny," released every other year, beginning in the fall of 2013. Bungie also agreed to put out four downloadable expansion packs code-named "Comet," every other year beginning in the fall of 2014. Activision has never disclosed release plans for Bungie's titles.

The first Destiny game will initially only be available on Microsoft's Xbox 360 consoles, as well as its potential successor, which the contract refers to as the "Xbox 720." Later games would be made for Xbox consoles as well as Sony Corp.'s expected successor to the PlayStation 3, and on personal computers.

Bungie would be entitled to royalties ranging from 20% to 35% of "operating income," the amount left over after Activision deducts its costs, including development, production and marketing expenses.

Under the contract, which may have been amended since it went into effect on April 16, 2010, Activision would also pay Bungie $2.5 million a year in bonuses between 2010 and 2013 if the Bellevue, Wash., studio meets certain quality and budget milestones. Bungie gets another $2.5 million if the first Destiny game achieves a score of 90 or better out of 100 on GameRankings.com, a site that summarizes reviews by game critics.

The contract also reveals for the first time that Bungie is working on a potential successor to its Marathon game, which became a cult hit after it was published in 1994 for the Apple Mac. The document refers to Bungie's right to devote no more than 5% of its staff to develop an action-shooter prototype dubbed Marathon while Bungie remains under contract with Activision.
    Massively multiplayer style, sci-fantasy action shooter series codenamed Destiny with expansion packs codenamed Comet.
    Four games releasing in 2013, 2015, 2017, and 2019.
    Four expansion packs releasing in 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020.
    The main games will be retail.
    There will be other DLC, subscriptions, microtransactions, and value added services.

That's a lot of content.

I wonder what warrants a new game every two years when it's a MMO, seems like a different approach, perhaps non-mmo aspect to the IP.

Sounds like a millionaire Bungie retirement fund if all goes well. I can imagine it being a nice end after that development schedule and after all those years for Bungie veterans. Make so much money and then do what you want.
  • richardiox 22 May 2012 20:49:34 5,584 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Will be interesting to see if Bungie can keep their high watermark for quality having to release a full new game every 24 months with an expansion pack every 12 months between.

It's pretty much the standard model now anyway unfortunately...Assassins Creed, COD, BF/MoH. I much prefer the "it's out when we've finished it" approach or 3 year dev cycles.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last