of 4 First / Last

• Fizzog 28 Apr 2010 00:06:14 4,108 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    white_frank_white wrote:
    Fizzog wrote:
    = £510

glol

The guy who I bought it off is buying it back for £560.
  • GuiltySpark 28 Apr 2010 00:07:43 6,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fizzog wrote:
    white_frank_white wrote:
    Fizzog wrote:
    = £510

glol

That's pretty damn lucky though dude.
  • Fizzog 28 Apr 2010 00:15:02 4,108 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Fizzog wrote:
    white_frank_white wrote:
    Fizzog wrote:
    = £510

glol

That's pretty damn lucky though dude.

If he didn't want it back then I'd be more then happy with my purchase. 2Ghz+3GB RAM really is all I need, I've yet to see one "beachball" in the 3 days I've used the computer and that's been while using Photoshop heavily and having many applications open at once.
  • speedofthepuma 1 Apr 2011 02:46:13 13,395 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, I'm finally getting my dream and buying an iMac for my birthday this weekend. I will be mainly using it for basic out of office work, scanning, e-mails, but also within the house as my "entertainment hub" so I can use home charing on the iphones and ipad and transmit to the main TV with an apple TV unit.

Any reason I would need more than the entry level unit?
  • HitchHiker 1 Apr 2011 06:10:06 2,832 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you want to do any gaming on it, either through Steam or through Windows on a Bootcamp partition then I'd recommend going for the i5 purely for the better graphics card.

I get good gaming performance out of my i5 if I keep the resolution to 1920x1080, which means medium to high graphics settings and a good frame rate.

The base i3 model is fine for "average" use and light games though.
  • speedofthepuma 1 Apr 2011 06:38:58 13,395 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks... I have no idea what to do because of course I want the shiny model with the big screen.
  • HitchHiker 1 Apr 2011 07:33:46 2,832 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Personally, I wouldn't go for an i7 iMac unless it's for something that really needs the horsepower because it's ust not worth the extra cash.
  • speedofthepuma 1 Apr 2011 08:13:00 13,395 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have been seduced by the 27" screen and reserved a model to pick up tonight. $200 off.
    Very excited.
    What a pathetic thing to have always wanted but never justified getting eh? But there you go.
  • HitchHiker 1 Apr 2011 08:16:14 2,832 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was the same, finally jumped ship at the end of 2007. Recently upgraded to a 27" i5.
    Hope you enjoy your new machine.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2011 08:20:40
    I have a replacement refurb 27" i5 winging its way to me next week. The first one that was delivered was very far from silent (constant high pitch whining fan noise), so I sent it back. The screen on these things is fantastic - my replacement can't arrive soon enough.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2011 08:36:28
    Sandy Bridges are due soon.
  • HitchHiker 1 Apr 2011 08:38:27 2,832 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    tincanrocket wrote:
    I have a replacement refurb 27" i5 winging its way to me next week. The first one that was delivered was very far from silent (constant high pitch whining fan noise), so I sent it back. The screen on these things is fantastic - my replacement can't arrive soon enough.

Snap, although I went through 4 refurbs before I got one I was happy with. Although I had a bonus with Quidco, I didn't lose the cashback from the returns.
  • binky Moderator 1 Apr 2011 08:58:31 10,557 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have the 27" i5 and I bloody love it!
  • speedofthepuma 1 Apr 2011 09:05:06 13,395 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    I have been seduced by the 27" screen and reserved a model to pick up tonight. $200 off.
    Very excited.
    What a pathetic thing to have always wanted but never justified getting eh? But there you go.

Which one?

Did you get the 2TB drive?

Yep :)
  • Deleted user 1 April 2011 09:54:12
    HitchHiker wrote:
    tincanrocket wrote:

Snap, although I went through 4 refurbs before I got one I was happy with. Although I had a bonus with Quidco, I didn't lose the cashback from the returns.

Uh oh - I won't get too excited then, as I might have to send the next 3 back ;)
  • HitchHiker 1 Apr 2011 10:00:59 2,832 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The first return was my fault. I ordered a 27" i3 and quite quickly realised that it wasn't going to be powerful enough form me, graphics wise anyway.

The next 2 i5's had issues, the first was a stuck pixel or some dust under the screen and I'm picky when spending this sort of money. The second had a noisy fan.

I have a blog post about it.
  • HitchHiker 1 Apr 2011 10:06:18 2,832 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Won't get a Sandy Bridge refurb for a while yet though which I think is the option chosen by SotP.
  • nickthegun 1 Apr 2011 10:10:43 67,409 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    tincanrocket wrote:
    HitchHiker wrote:
    tincanrocket wrote:

Uh oh - I won't get too excited then, as I might have to send the next 3 back ;)

This is the problems with refurbs. They are usually the machines that the techs in the repair centre can't fix or have so many problems they authorise a unit swap out.

The apple hub then uses refurb parts to refurb the machine.

It's a fundamental problem with then, tbh. Customers think of them as ex-demos but really they are the machines that are so fucked no one wanted them.
  • Derblington 1 Apr 2011 10:25:53 25,518 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bought a 27" i7 in Feb. T'is lovely.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2011 10:27:39
    nickthegun wrote:

This is the problems with refurbs. They are usually the machines that the techs in the repair centre can't fix or have so many problems they authorise a unit swap out.

The apple hub then uses refurb parts to refurb the machine.

It's a fundamental problem with then, tbh. Customers think of them as ex-demos but really they are the machines that are so fucked no one wanted them.

If the next one is similarly noisy I may well send it back, grab a refund, and spend the extra couple of hundred quid to get a new one, but the refurb price of £1249 for an i5 2.66Ghz was too good a saving for me not to give it a try, and I'd rather have an i5 than an i3. Fingers crossed I get lucky with the replacement.
  • Deleted user 5 April 2011 11:25:30
    paging nickthegun....

So, having looked at my options I have got a refund on the refurb 27" and am going to buy a 'proper' iMac direct from Apple using my Education discount, so I'll have to stump up an extra couple of hundred quid, but will get a better model with a 3 year warranty. Thing is, any idea when the new iMac is likely to be announced? If I bought a 27" i5 this week would I be kicking myself next month?
  • Deleted user 5 April 2011 11:27:43
    Most likely.
  • nickthegun 5 Apr 2011 11:39:11 67,409 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes. Sandybridge (sex on the beach) chips and thunderbolt ports are due soon. I dont know how soon but rumour is it should be within the month.

The distribution channels are pretty dry of imacs at the moment, which is always a giveaway a new model is due.
  • Deleted user 5 April 2011 11:42:48
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yes. Sandybridge (sex on the beach) chips are due soon. I dont know how soon but rumour is it should be within the month.

Thanks for the advice, nick - in that case I will try to contain my urge to have one NOW, and see if I can hold off for a couple of weeks. I think I have 14 days from purchase to swap it if a new model comes out in the interim, so if I can make it through to Easter I should be okay?

/twitches
  • HitchHiker 6 Apr 2011 07:29:24 2,832 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Apple Store is down, wonder if the new iMacs are going up this morning?
  • Fab4 6 Apr 2011 08:03:34 7,699 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HitchHiker wrote:
    Apple Store is down, wonder if the new iMacs are going up this morning?

I was hoping for them to be updating the delivery times for my iPad...hopefully to sometime this week ;) :-D
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.