House vs Flat

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Zomoniac 16 Apr 2010 12:21:33 7,974 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    'sup?

It's looking almost certain that within the next couple of months my relationship of 7 years is going to collapse in a heap of painful rubble. When it does, I want to leave the complete shithole that is Sheffield as quickly as possible and move to Leeds, since it's a) much nicer, b) where I work, and c) closer to everyone I know. But I don't know where to live.

I'm completely torn. My budget (for renting) will allow me either a swish flat on the canal in the middle of the city centre, or a nice, decent sized detached house with garage in a leafy suburb like Horsforth or Adel (one of the nice bits). I've had a couple of these new-fangled luxury apartments before in Sheffield, and both I've left because the noise bleed has been intolerable, people listening to music directly above drives me utterly insane and I'm very sensitive to it. But those flats were half the price of the ones in Leeds, which certainly look much nicer on the inside, so I'm wondering if the extra money would mean a better built apartment that doesn't just bleed noise through every wall round the clock. I guess I could fork out a bit more to try and get a top floor one, as in my experience it's noise coming down rather than through the sides or floor that's really problematic.

And it would be a much easier commute. Wake up at 8.30, five minute walk to work, no expense, no sitting in traffic. Easy access to night life, no paying for taxis. But they're small, really small compared to a house. I have a lot of stuff. I also play drums, and lots of Rock Band, both of which would have to stop completely if I got a flat but would be fine in a house. I'd feel guilty watching TV or having music on, as I know how much it makes me scream when people above me do it.

I also suffer really, really bad paranoia/OCD when it comes to leaving the house. I won't stay away for a night or go on holiday if I don't have someone to look after the house. I think I'd be far more comfortable leaving a flat unattended. With so many windows close together if your curtains stay open or shut for a week it won't stand out and nobody would notice, you need a key to get in the building and even if you did there's no way you could break the door down without anyone in the neighbouring flats hearing, so I could go away for a weekend and probably not worry too much.

Anyone have any experience or opinion? Sorry for waffling on, I'm exhausted.
  • billythekid 16 Apr 2010 12:24:43 11,393 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    House, just having a little garden makes a huge difference to me.
  • markh 16 Apr 2010 12:25:32 3,598 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I live Horsforth! :)

I'd say that if you want somewhere to settle down and have a home then go for the house in the 'burbs. If you want a batchelor pad for partying, then go for the city centre flat. Depends on your personal circumstances i guess.
  • Zomoniac 16 Apr 2010 12:29:05 7,974 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    House, just having a little garden makes a huge difference to me.

I have a house now, with a smallish garden. I've lived there for 16 months, never been in it, the grass is about 4 ft long and I've been ordered to mow it this weekend! I'd prefer not to have a garden. Somewhere where 2 or 3 of us could have a small barbie would be nice, either a small patio on a house, or a balcony on a flat big enough for a couple of chairs and a small table for a disposable barbie.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 16 Apr 2010 12:30:58 26,580 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can probably get yourself a cracking deal on a new flat in Leeds right now. There are thousands of things just sat around empty since the recession kicked in. The canal area is nice too.
  • Zomoniac 16 Apr 2010 12:31:59 7,974 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    markh wrote:
    I live Horsforth! :)

I'd say that if you want somewhere to settle down and have a home then go for the house in the 'burbs. If you want a batchelor pad for partying, then go for the city centre flat. Depends on your personal circumstances i guess.

I want a pad, but a really quiet one! In an ideal world, I'd have a spacious, 3-bed duplex modern apartment, at the top of a secure tower block, with secure allocated parking, where all the other flats in the building were empty :)

I have a currently unemployed friend, and we want to share a place. But he's currently struggling to get a job, so can't pay anything. I need somewhere I can afford to pay for by myself but big enough to be able to shift some stuff round when he gets a job so he can move in (I really don't want to live on my own long-term, I'd go completely mental). Just to further complicate things.
  • kiroquai 16 Apr 2010 12:32:02 262 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mmm, sorry about your relationship thing. Speaking as someone with past experience of that (as I am sure plenty here can), it's not a nice situation.

I live in Banbury, which is not quite the same, but my budget allowed me to either buy a flat in a nicer area or a reasonable semi detached in a not-so-nice one. Having looked at them both I preferred the house as far as size goes, but figured that even though the flat had less space and no garden, I'd be much happier waking up each morning in an area that I preferred.
  • Zomoniac 16 Apr 2010 12:35:15 7,974 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Adell87 wrote:
    Renting = flat, buying = house

IMO

So that, added to what you said, get the flat, definitely. Seems a lot better for your circumstances.

Except the drums bit, damn. If you play drums go for the house.

I know. Where it not for my sensitivity to noise I'd get a flat in a heartbeat. And since those flats are seen as pads for youthful party animals to have during their early 20s when they go out into town every night, get smashed, come home and make as much noise as possible, I don't know if I could cope with that.

I have an electric drum kit which would only disturb the people directly below me, so I guess I could speak to them and ask what times they're out and fit my playing around that (I can work whatever start/finish times I want, so if they work 9-5 I can do 8-4 and get an hour's practice in when I get home).

ARGH.

Also, no buying for at least five years. Can't afford astronomical deposits!
  • Deleted user 16 April 2010 12:36:36
    House = garden = dog. Ace. But pricey in a city :__ /
  • warlockuk 16 Apr 2010 13:05:13 19,223 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nuke Sheffield from orbit! It's where I have to go for band practice.

House = no noise bleed ftw. I hate the traffic noise in my flat, esp. as you can't open windows for air without having even more traffic noise.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 16 April 2010 13:06:24
    Would kill for a garden so I could have a BBQ.
  • megastar 16 Apr 2010 13:07:38 17,197 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought this was going to be a link to a you tube video of some kind've epic encounter between the two! :(
  • Dougs 16 Apr 2010 13:16:42 69,473 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    markh wrote:

Pretty much this. If you're after a quiet life to play the drums games etc, head for the burbs. If you're going to be out a lot (which let's face it is what you want to do after a break up), head for the City, buy some ear plugs and develop a selfish disposition.

Sorry to hear about your relationship btw
  • Tonka 16 Apr 2010 13:17:10 21,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I moved from a flat to a tiny house (of the attached kind). I absolutely love having no one living downstairs or above. I love having my own laundrymachine. I love walking straight in from streetlevel instead of walking four flights of stairs. i love having a tiny patch of grass and a Weber.

So yeah. Definitely house. Funny thing is that a 3 minute walk from my house there were some flats for sale. Same size and twice the price. Weird.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Zomoniac 16 Apr 2010 14:19:17 7,974 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks for all your advice/condolences. I'm still none the wiser, but I'm looking at penthouse flats to see if there's anything suitable. That would hopefully help with the noise.
  • David_Richardson 16 Apr 2010 14:58:17 640 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The older I've got the more sensitive I've become about how closely I live to other people. My first place as a young lad was a ground floor flat bought with a long term girlfriend. While it suited us at the start, towards the end we became irritated by the constant noise above us, the lack of control over the building, service charges etc.

I've got a semi-detached house in a cul-de-sac now, and I'm even getting irritated with that. My next move will definitely be to some sort of farmhouse with as few people around me as possible. I spend all day in the City being bumped into and trodden on by people and feel like I need some isolation when I'm away from that.
  • monkehhh 16 Apr 2010 17:39:45 3,497 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As someone about to move out into somewhere on his own in Leeds, anyone got any hook-ups for nice flats? :) Been looking at Gumtree / Rightmove / etc, but I'm hoping there's some awesome source of places that I don't know about?
  • Zomoniac 16 Apr 2010 18:01:59 7,974 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    As someone about to move out into somewhere on his own in Leeds, anyone got any hook-ups for nice flats? :) Been looking at Gumtree / Rightmove / etc, but I'm hoping there's some awesome source of places that I don't know about?

Try here.
  • ScoutTech 16 Apr 2010 18:03:23 2,425 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Go visit the flats & ask a prospective neighbour to whack up the music & see what you can hear? If you can't hear their music up loud then you will be fairly safe the other way. Or if you are really worried about the drums get an decent electronic kit & use headphones.

I've done the same, was set on renting a house but now looking more and more at flats.
  • monkehhh 16 Apr 2010 18:09:58 3,497 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    monkehhh wrote:

Try here.
    Cheers, I've seen a load of sites, but not that one :)
  • Zomoniac 17 Apr 2010 14:27:24 7,974 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ScoutTech wrote:
    Go visit the flats & ask a prospective neighbour to whack up the music & see what you can hear? If you can't hear their music up loud then you will be fairly safe the other way. Or if you are really worried about the drums get an decent electronic kit & use headphones.

I've done the same, was set on renting a house but now looking more and more at flats.

A fine idea. I may do just that.

I do have a very decent electronic kit, which is fine for the surrounding walls and directly above, but I know from experience that even on an electronic kit with headphones, using the bass drum causes a lot of vibrations down through the floor and is incredibly annoying for people below.
  • buggrit 17 Apr 2010 14:29:29 5,179 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    House FTW. Neighbours on all sides is the absolute fucking worst thing ever.

/works nights
    /hasn't slept properly for weeks
  • localnotail 17 Apr 2010 14:59:16 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    buggrit wrote:
    House FTW. Neighbours on all sides is the absolute fucking worst thing ever.

This^^ I live in a terrace but there is very noise little spill from either side. I'm not sure I could go back to living in a flat, they are invariably built from paper so the noise really carries, plus I like my space too much. Houses work out much cheaper that flats round my way - I doubt I could get a decent 2 bed flat for the rent we pay on this 3 bed house.

Zom, could you not get window locks and blinds? Would that help?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• chopsen 17 Apr 2010 15:04:12 16,281 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    I also play drums

House
  • chopsen 17 Apr 2010 15:06:15 16,281 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dave richardson wrote:
    The older I've got the more sensitive I've become about how closely I live to other people. My first place as a young lad was a ground floor flat bought with a long term girlfriend. While it suited us at the start, towards the end we became irritated by the constant noise above us, the lack of control over the building, service charges etc.

I've got a semi-detached house in a cul-de-sac now, and I'm even getting irritated with that. My next move will definitely be to some sort of farmhouse with as few people around me as possible. I spend all day in the City being bumped into and trodden on by people and feel like I need some isolation when I'm away from that.

Aye, I'm the same. Weirdly (to me), doesn't seem to *massively* affect the value. When I was house hunting, location and number of bedrooms seem to affect what people were asking much, much more than not sharing a wall with someone.
  • onestepfromlost 17 Apr 2010 15:11:36 2,117 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I guess it depens how much price is a factor too. Here( Glasgow) Flats in the city are stupidly expensive, and houses much cheaper esp. a little further out of town, in one of the slighty out surrounding towns you could get a decent semi 3 bedroom house for less than 100K in some areas, (using my mothers as an example which is in a nice area) compared to around 150K for a 2 bedroom flat in the city.
    You need to look to future options, Is there where you are going to be the rest of your life? If not, would the option of buying somewhere else to move to, but keeping this one to rent out would make the city flat more appealing to rent out. A tough call and one you have to be completely happy with before making a choice.
  • Zomoniac 17 Apr 2010 15:39:34 7,974 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    Yeah, I guess it depens how much price is a factor too. Here( Glasgow) Flats in the city are stupidly expensive, and houses much cheaper esp. a little further out of town, in one of the slighty out surrounding towns you could get a decent semi 3 bedroom house for less than 100K in some areas, (using my mothers as an example which is in a nice area) compared to around 150K for a 2 bedroom flat in the city.
    You need to look to future options, Is there where you are going to be the rest of your life? If not, would the option of buying somewhere else to move to, but keeping this one to rent out would make the city flat more appealing to rent out. A tough call and one you have to be completely happy with before making a choice.

Buying's out of the question for a few years at least. It's not somewhere permanent, it's somewhere to be for a couple of years to get my life back on track.
  • monkehhh 17 Apr 2010 15:58:21 3,497 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Uggggh, my brain's fried from looking at so many random property sites.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous