Why we haven't met any aliens Page 2

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Dirtbox 14 Apr 2010 01:28:18 77,712 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I hate being spoonfed the obvious, I must admit I didn't bother watching all of it as it was excruciatingly patronising for the first 20 minutes.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• ecureuil 14 Apr 2010 01:28:46 76,729 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like this new theory. Every blackhole contains/leads to a new universe, and our universe is itself inside a blackhole.

It's blackholes all the way down..
  • Dirtbox 14 Apr 2010 01:29:46 77,712 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Utter bollocks, a black hole isn't a hole, it's a ball of super-dense matter.

• BinaryBob101 14 Apr 2010 01:30:22 22,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I hate being spoonfed the obvious, I must admit I didn't bother watching all of it as it was excruciatingly patronising for the first 20 minutes.

Yeah, I can take that on board, like I said it was a bit pop. It did get better after the first quarter though.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• ecureuil 14 Apr 2010 01:32:19 76,729 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    There was a thread somewhere a while back with a picture from Hubble with a small patch of space with no stars (apparently) that was magnified to show a further humungous galaxy of stars that was previously undiscovered.

Wish I could find that thread somewhere, it was ace. Made me wince with the insignificance of pretty much everything.

Here

and also this.
  • Deleted user 14 April 2010 01:33:53
    ecu you are fast becoming a living internet legend in my eyes - good find, cheers!
  • ecureuil 14 Apr 2010 01:34:59 76,729 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

The theory is saying that matter doesn't collapse to a single point, but disappears through a wormhole.
  • BinaryBob101 14 Apr 2010 01:35:04 22,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ecu, it's up. ;)

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:

• Deleted user 14 April 2010 01:35:37
    ecureuil wrote:

and also this.

This one was on my mind too! Rah!
  • Lexx87 14 Apr 2010 01:35:43 20,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /just got called thick

:(

Speak the truth hussy!

• BinaryBob101 14 Apr 2010 01:37:18 22,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, that was a bit wanky of him I'd say Lexx.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:

• Dirtbox 14 Apr 2010 01:38:12 77,712 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:

The theory is saying that matter doesn't collapse to a single point, but disappears through a wormhole.
    So what's Hawking radiation? A breeze coming through the hole?

• Lexx87 14 Apr 2010 01:38:43 20,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just meant if it was all there with no-one for it...well. It would make no difference I know and I realise we all want to find an actual purpose to things (even though there isn't)...the whole thing just makes my brain melt.

Speak the truth hussy!

• dsmx 14 Apr 2010 01:38:55 7,589 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We haven't met any aliens because there's nothing that interesting on this planet worth travelling light years to see.

Also we haven't intercepted any radio communications from other planets because chances are any other civilization would have better technology than that the odds of them having a similar technology level to us is mind bogglingly small.

Chances are that star trek was right and until we discover faster than light travel no other galactic civilization will take an interest in us.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Lexx87 14 Apr 2010 01:42:51 20,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But to our knowledge FLT is impossible.

Speak the truth hussy!

• ecureuil 14 Apr 2010 01:45:03 76,729 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:

So what's Hawking radiation? A breeze coming through the hole?

Well I agree with you, but I still find the alternative theories interesting.
  • Dirtbox 14 Apr 2010 01:49:15 77,712 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Yeah, sadly. Although we aren't all that far off it, theoretically at least. There are new theories based on bending space around the vehicle. Originally the thought was to use the elasticity of space to propel the vehicle, like riding the ripple on a pond.

_______space________
    ____                 /                 >
            \_vehicle_/

• dsmx 14 Apr 2010 01:50:07 7,589 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:

That's my point, however it should also be noted that physics doesn't like considering that FTL travel is possible because it mucks up all their nice equations they've written.

But carrying on from that what work has been done on FTL travel keeps coming back with the need for more energy than the entire planet produces currently. So if you want to meet those aliens like rimmer does you better get researching better ways of producing vast quantities of energy.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Bremenacht 14 Apr 2010 01:57:35 17,806 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Yeah, sadly. Although we aren't all that far off it, theoretically at least. There are new theories based on bending space around the vehicle. Originally the thought was to use the elasticity of space to propel the vehicle, like riding the ripple on a pond.
    Lack of alien contact could be proof that FTL is not possible.
  • dsmx 14 Apr 2010 01:59:15 7,589 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Lexx87 wrote:

It could also be said that given the vast size of space that actually randomly running into another populated planet is next to impossible.

• Dirtbox 14 Apr 2010 02:01:27 77,712 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    http://news.discovery.com/space/warp-drive-spaceship-engine.html

What I was trying to explain.

If anyone fancies creating a gravity generator, we'll get right on it.

• Bremenacht 14 Apr 2010 02:06:23 17,806 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Lexx87 wrote:

It could also be said that given the vast size of space that actually randomly running into another populated planet is next to impossible.
    Either argument undermines this Fermi paradox.

I think I'll try re-reading that DB link again tomorrow - it's far too mind-boggling for 2am!
  • Dirtbox 14 Apr 2010 02:08:57 77,712 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I covered the basics in my post. It's only a theory though, and a very trekian one at that. There are many things that can travel faster than light, so while it's an effective theoretical barrier to ballpark, it's not set in stone.

• dsmx 14 Apr 2010 02:11:18 7,589 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Look at it this way your travelling through a desert you have limited fuel so your going to want to see interesting things and you see a radio mast on the horizon are you going to have a look at it? Or are you going to keep looking for something more interesting?

That's essentially what will be what every interstellar traveller will be thinking as they pass us.

• ecureuil 14 Apr 2010 02:13:45 76,729 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The idea that we're not important enough for aliens to come here is ludicrous imo. Some of you have been playing too much Mass Effect.
  • dsmx 14 Apr 2010 02:19:38 7,589 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The odds of aliens finding us are astronomically small as it is. Them actually coming here would be even less.

• Lexx87 14 Apr 2010 02:21:38 20,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My mum sometimes talks about something in the 90s on the radio. Some 'craft' had been sighted by many people who were all calling in about it. The station said they would update within the next hour.

There were no more updates and nothing was ever mentioned or anything heard about it again anywhere.

Not trying to say anything just remember her telling me one time,

Speak the truth hussy!

• Page

of 9 First / Last