Why we haven't met any aliens

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 13 April 2010 22:17:08
    It's the games! (and other stuff)

http://seedmagazine.com/content/article/why_we_havent_met_any_aliens/

• Deleted user 13 April 2010 22:44:39
    "They reasoned that extraterrestrial intelligence should be common by now.
    ...Yet 40 years of intensive searching for extraterrestrial intelligence have yielded nothing: no radio signals, no credible spacecraft sightings, no close encounters of any kind."

Well they did find radio signals, in the form of pulsars. At first they thought it might be ET origin, and they considered destroying the evidence of it. But then they found another signal, and decided that it can't be ET becase it's obviously a common thing. It must be unexplained natural phenom.

So the 2 facts here are. On one hand they say it should be common, and then find something that is common and dismiss it because it's common. And if they did think it was ET, they would have destroyed evidence anyway, and we would not know.
  • Xerx3s 13 Apr 2010 22:51:59 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Old bollocks.
  • otto Moderator 13 Apr 2010 23:01:34 49,298 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Fermi paradox is in any case predicated on a false assumption, which is that other forms of intelligent life would exist in some manner that makes sense to us.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Deleted user 13 April 2010 23:31:57
    Personally I thought the author was too negative toward the idea of civilisation disappearing up its own arsehole. Making some kind of virtual paradise on earth through VR...well why's that so bad eh? Why can't it be sustainable? Wasn't that an option in the Culture books but a phase people grew out of?

And also a bit too positive about the examples in our world that might avoid it - they seem likely to blow each other up, neatly achieving a worse option

Edit: clarity.

• bobmar360 13 Apr 2010 23:50:36 883 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is possible that the extra terrestial beings have landed already, they could be Mega Microscopic and have been here for years, they may have even completely recoreded all episode of MTV Cribs on Sky+, they may even be responsible for so many of the extra minutes added on to the Man Utd games----------who knows?-------

The Truth Is Out There

• mcmonkeyplc 13 Apr 2010 23:50:40 39,387 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Space is big, we aint seen nothing yet.

There's your answer.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• ecureuil 13 Apr 2010 23:51:46 76,528 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's tons of theories for the Fermi paradox. I remember having a big discussion about this on here once before, wish I could find that thread.
  • localnotail 13 Apr 2010 23:54:10 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Stupid article, correlating XBOX ownership with abandonment of biological reproductive behaviour.

/aging childless gamer

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 13 April 2010 23:55:26
    ecureuil wrote:
    There's tons of theories for the Fermi paradox. I remember having a big discussion about this on here once before, wish I could find that thread.

I'm guessing it may be somewhere around here. If not then it's probably lost forever.
  • localnotail 13 Apr 2010 23:56:34 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DB Search says here

• ecureuil 13 Apr 2010 23:57:00 76,528 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Micro_Explosion. wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

I'm guessing it may be somewhere around here. If not then it's probably lost forever.

I don't think that's the one I was thinking of. Really interesting subject though, I'm always reading stuff about it.
  • localnotail 13 Apr 2010 23:58:14 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    *cough*

• mcmonkeyplc 14 Apr 2010 00:01:07 39,387 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• localnotail 14 Apr 2010 00:04:23 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was just trying to alert ecu to my post as he appears to have missed it.

btw, is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?

• ecureuil 14 Apr 2010 00:06:40 76,528 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh yeah, I had actually missed that. That seems to be the one! Fun thread, that. :)
  • PazJohnMitch 14 Apr 2010 00:23:15 7,830 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The predicted number of planets with intelligent life is 100,000.

If they are equidistant the closest is 1000 light years away.

So it would take 1 millenium for them to get our signal and another millenium to reply.

We have been searching for 60 years. Even if there is intelligent life out there the probability we would have found them in such a short period of time is minute.

It is predicted that if intelligent life had visited earth it would have done so around the era of the dinosaurs.
  • Anthony_UK 14 Apr 2010 00:58:50 2,463 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm genuine in saying this, that you guys are fascinating with some of the information and opinions you have on issues like this.

I don't post on here half as much as I should (I don't have the time) but life without my daily Eurogamer forum fix wouldn't be half as much fun!
  • Dirtbox 14 Apr 2010 01:09:06 77,480 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    The predicted number of planets with intelligent life is 100,000.

If they are equidistant the closest is 1000 light years away.

So it would take 1 millenium for them to get our signal and another millenium to reply.

We have been searching for 60 years. Even if there is intelligent life out there the probability we would have found them in such a short period of time is minute.

It is predicted that if intelligent life had visited earth it would have done so around the era of the dinosaurs.
    That's assuming they were at the same level of development 1000 years ago as we are now.

I remember thinking about this when I was much younger and more into this sort of crap. What if the galaxy is teaming with people but they won't bother us until we're at a certain level of development, like a reservation for a protected species or something. It was a good theory until star trek gayed it up.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Lexx87 14 Apr 2010 01:10:22 20,869 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just want to know that if the universe is expanding...what's it expanding into. What's beyond the universe. Fucking boggles me.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Dirtbox 14 Apr 2010 01:14:39 77,480 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    More likely a multiverse, a single verse expands and pops like a bubble and all the matter and energy is pushed back into the fold to do it all over again with another bubble. The multiverse is an infinite bubble bath.

• Deleted user 14 April 2010 01:15:01
    There was a thread somewhere a while back with a picture from Hubble with a small patch of space with no stars (apparently) that was magnified to show a further humungous galaxy of stars that was previously undiscovered.

Wish I could find that thread somewhere, it was ace. Made me wince with the insignificance of pretty much everything.
  • Dirtbox 14 Apr 2010 01:16:17 77,480 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    There was a thread somewhere a while back with a picture from Hubble with a small patch of space with no stars (apparently) that was magnified to show a further humungous galaxy of stars that was previously undiscovered.

Wish I could find that thread somewhere, it was ace. Made me wince with the insignificance of pretty much everything.
    You mean universe of galaxies, surely.

• Lexx87 14 Apr 2010 01:16:26 20,869 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    More likely a multiverse, a single verse expands and pops like a bubble and all the matter and energy is pushed back into the fold to do it all over again with another bubble. The multiverse is an infinite bubble bath.

So what's the water of the bath?

Speak the truth hussy!

• Dirtbox 14 Apr 2010 01:17:19 77,480 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Space and time.

• Lexx87 14 Apr 2010 01:20:20 20,869 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does make me realise why people believe in a higher power. I mean if the conditions for life never appeared there wouldn't be anyone to comprehend it. Would just be there for no reason.

I've had one too many bottles of beer to even think about this.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Dirtbox 14 Apr 2010 01:21:28 77,480 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A wizard did it!

/all religion

• BinaryBob101 14 Apr 2010 01:22:26 22,328 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Horizon infinity programme was a good watch for stuff like this. The prospect of infinite universes within and and outside our own is just staggeringly mind-boggling and awesome.

You should all watch it, even if it is a bit pop-physics, it was brilliantly made.

Lexx87 wrote:
    Does make me realise why people believe in a higher power. I mean if the conditions for life never appeared there wouldn't be anyone to comprehend it. Would just be there for no reason.

I've had one too many bottles of beer to even think about this.

Well, if you believe in the infinite universes theory, then somewhere such a force must exist.

Beautiful tender beings.

• Dirtbox 14 Apr 2010 01:24:49 77,480 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It was shit.

"Infinity is such a big number that you would never be able to write it down!" [repeat X50]

Yeah thanks, prof.

• BinaryBob101 14 Apr 2010 01:27:00 22,328 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No. It wasn't. That was only the first fifteen, or so minutes. I thought you might say it was shit though.

Beautiful tender beings.

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous