Jason West and Vincent Zampella Respawn at EA

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Derblington 12 Apr 2010 14:11:35 21,476 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-ct-callofduty12-2010apr12,0,6466384.story

Off topic: I don't like this new linking system.
  • smoothpete 12 Apr 2010 14:14:12 31,459 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah they got them! I love it. Activision are the new old EA

(old linking system still works btw)
  • Captain_Peach 12 Apr 2010 14:14:28 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Am I right In thinking Activision own the rights to Call of Duty.

If so the majority of COD players don't even realize that IW make COD and therefore it's not going to affect Activision at all if we're honest.
  • BabyJesus 12 Apr 2010 14:16:28 4,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wait, am I reading this right. EA is paying for the set-up of the company but they don't own squat, not even the IP?

And they only get exclusive rights to one of their creations?
  • mcmonkeyplc 12 Apr 2010 14:17:26 39,411 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That is one long respawn cycle.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Deleted user 12 April 2010 14:17:37
    They'll make Medal of Honour again which was Call of Duty before they fucked off the first time.
  • BabyJesus 12 Apr 2010 14:19:04 4,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    They'll make Medal of Honour again which was Call of Duty before they fucked off the first time.

But the deal is, anything Zampella and West make they own the IP for. So it can't be MOH, unless they hand over the rights to MOH.
  • glaeken 12 Apr 2010 14:19:54 11,133 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 12 April 2010 14:20:58
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 12 April 2010 14:21:14
    Ah right, I thought they just went back to EA.
  • smoothpete 12 Apr 2010 14:23:26 31,459 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We've got enough modern war type shooters. They need to apply their talents to something new.
  • BabyJesus 12 Apr 2010 14:23:40 4,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    So how quickly can EA start hinting that their next Medal of Honour game is the real next MW game. I guess they could claim these two put in some major work on the next MOH coming this summer to bring it up to spec. Of course given where that game must be in its development cycle it cannot be exactly true.

Activision have been incredibility short sighted on this as I am sure EA will be sowing the seeds amongst all the MW fan boys that their next MOH game is now going to be the true successor to MW2.

Activitsion just seem to have handed one of their competitors an opportunity to attack their biggest franchise.

Meh, it won't hurt Acti atall in the short term.

The people who matter I.E not you and I in a videogames forum will not notice until people on their friendslist stop playing MW/COD games.

This means nothing to Joe Public, even if you slap a "From the creators of MW" on it, they won't care unless their friendslist stop playing.

Longterm, Acti is probably fucked unless they resist the urge to run another IP into the ground.
  • smoothpete 12 Apr 2010 14:27:36 31,459 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BabyJesus wrote:
    Longterm, Acti is probably fucked unless they resist the urge to run another IP into the ground.

It's kind of their business model though
  • BabyJesus 12 Apr 2010 14:27:42 4,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Official PR

Jason West and Vince Zampella Form ‘Respawn Entertainment’

All-New Independent Development Studio Signs Exclusive Worldwide Publishing Agreement with EA

LOS ANGELES, Apr 12, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) — Today, Jason West and Vince Zampella, creators of the multi-billion dollar Call of Duty(R) franchise, announced the formation of a new development studio — Respawn Entertainment. The move positions the Respawn Entertainment leadership team as the owners of the intellectual property they create. The company will focus on creating state-of-the-art gaming experiences for global audiences. The studio is currently assembling a world-class team of designers, artists and engineers. Applicants can submit resumes to jobs@respawn.com.

Respawn is pleased to also announce that it has awarded Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:ERTS), through the distinguished EA Partners program, exclusive worldwide publishing and distribution rights to future games. Terms were not disclosed. West and Zampella are represented by Creative Artists Agency (CAA).

“Respawn Entertainment marks a fresh start for Jason and me,” said Vince Zampella, General Manager of Respawn Entertainment. “For the past decade we led a great development team and poured our hearts into creating an epic game franchise. We’re very proud of what we built – and proud that so many millions of fans enjoyed those games. Today we hope to do it all over again — open a new studio, hire a great team, and create brand new games with a new partner, EA.”

“We’re excited,” added Jason West, President of Respawn Entertainment. “Now that the team is in control of the games and brands, we can ensure that the fans are treated as well as they deserve.”

Frank Gibeau, President of the EA Games Label commented, “This is the start of a great publishing partnership – one that I expect will develop blockbuster game franchises. Jason and Vince are two of the top creative leaders in the entertainment industry. At EA, we’re honored to be their partners and to give them the support they need to hire a team and return to making incredible games.”

About Respawn Entertainment

Founded in 2010, Respawn Entertainment is an independent videogame development studio based in Encino, California. The studio was formed by Jason West and Vince Zampella, former co-founders of Infinity Ward and creators of the multi-billion dollar franchise Call of Duty(R). More information about the company will be available soon at www.respawn.com.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/04/12/ea-announces-new-development-studio-head-by-zampella-west/#more-89681
  • BabyJesus 12 Apr 2010 14:32:00 4,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    From a quick look of the above what I can gather is:-

EA is paying West and Zampella money to start up Respawn Entertainment

W&Z Own all IP rights to anything they create

EA's partners program is running this so they are an independent studio, although funded by EA.

The start up costs are in exchange for 1 or more exclusive distribution and publishing rights to their IP.

In summation W&Z are the luckiest bastards to have ever been in the videogames industry.
  • President_Weasel 12 Apr 2010 14:42:33 9,134 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BabyJesus wrote:

EA's partners program is running this so they are an independent studio, although funded by EA.

The start up costs are in exchange for 1 or more exclusive distribution and publishing rights to their IP.

In summation W&Z are the luckiest bastards to have ever been in the videogames industry.

Until and unless the couple of exclusive games that EA get out of it make back all the money and more that EA spent on the startup.
    While simultaneously competing with competitors' brands, obviously.
    Also if the studio is a success it will already have a ready-made relationship with EA and probably some residual goodwill from this deal, meaning they've a good chance of distributing further games (it's not like West and Zampella are going to go looking for a distribution deal from Acti any time soon).

Seems like a good business move on EA's part
  • BabyJesus 12 Apr 2010 14:45:58 4,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    President Weasel wrote:
    BabyJesus wrote:

Until and unless the couple of exclusive games that EA get out of it make back all the money and more that EA spent on the startup.
    While simultaneously competing with competitors' brands, obviously.
    Also if the studio is a success it will already have a ready-made relationship with EA and probably some residual goodwill from this deal, meaning they've a good chance of distributing further games (it's not like West and Zampella are going to go looking for a distribution deal from Acti any time soon).

Seems like a good business move on EA's part

It's debatable, this is the first time people have had this sort of power in the industry.

They don't have a brand name to sell, they aren't widely known to Joe public, so this is a gamble on whether Star power can sell games and if they can strike gold saleswise again.
  • El_MUERkO 12 Apr 2010 14:47:19 16,970 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i'd love to see what they could do with DICEs frostbite engine in the singleplayer/coop sphere
  • matrim83 12 Apr 2010 14:53:08 5,587 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do Acti own the rights to MW or CoD or all of them? Or is that what the lawsuits are about?Cause I am wondering if they can do what the FEAR guys did. Start making a modern shooter while the lawsuit rages on. If they can get the rights to MW or CoD then name it that else just call it whatever they want to.

Valar morghulis.

• President_Weasel 12 Apr 2010 14:54:32 9,134 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I agree absolutely that it seems like a gamble on EA's part, but it is a gamble they can afford to make and there's a reasonable chance of a good return. They've got a couple of big-selling franchises under their belts now, after all. If they can do it twice then it's probably worth a punt on them doing it again.
  • Deleted user 12 April 2010 14:58:32
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    i'd love to see what they could do with DICEs frostbite engine in the singleplayer/coop sphere

Probably a lot less than DICE managed with it.
  • BabyJesus 12 Apr 2010 14:59:27 4,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    matrim83 wrote:
    Do Acti own the rights to MW or CoD or all of them? Or is that what the lawsuits are about?Cause I am wondering if they can do what the FEAR guys did. Start making a modern shooter while the lawsuit rages on. If they can get the rights to MW or CoD then name it that else just call it whatever they want to.

Acti own all the rights, although Infinity Ward were meant to have authority over the MW brand and any post-Vietnam to future based military shooters.

The lawsuit is about unfair dismissal and breaking the agreement of the above with Sledgehammers new game.

They are suing for MW rights and $36M.(I think)

@ PW

True. But EA aren't having the best of time financially, although this will probably give Riccitello some breathing room with investors for a while.
  • nickthegun 12 Apr 2010 15:00:36 59,341 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe I can train my brain not to read 'Vampirella' by the next update

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• matrim83 12 Apr 2010 15:15:35 5,587 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh if you work over at IW in any sort of important position, now is a very good time to ask for a raise. :p

Valar morghulis.

• monkie_king 12 Apr 2010 15:18:40 984 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's kind
  • Deleted user 12 April 2010 15:20:42
    DICE should make me a new Rallysport Challenge is what they should do.
  • Deleted user 12 April 2010 15:23:21
    Did they respawn right in front of an enemy dev?
  • danathjo 12 Apr 2010 15:30:09 7,309 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So the CoD name is a no go but depending on the outcome of the court case MW3 could be a Respawn/EA game?
  • monkie_king 12 Apr 2010 15:30:15 984 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's kind of ironic — Activision was explicitly founded, all those years ago, on the principle of giving individual developers proper credit and recognition for their games. Now they'd really like you to think that all CoD games are created equal, without worrying about who created them - and this is why.

Good on EA for taking a punt on these guys, will be interesting to see if they can create another huge franchise out of nothing. (Or does EA think they actually have a chance of reclaiming the CoD/MW IP from Acti?
  • Shrike 12 Apr 2010 15:31:23 405 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be honest even if EA don't make millions off the back of this it's a PR win for them, making them look like all the things big corporations want to look like - enterprising, standing up for the "little guy", Not Evil - even if they go back on half of it later. They spend a couple of million now with the chance to make it back and look like the Rebel Alliance doing it. Not bad.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous