A Shadow's Tale Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• varsas 14 Oct 2010 17:25:06 2,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As mentioned and linked earlier, Kristan and Keza who review for EG too were very positive about this.
  • Oh-Bollox 15 Oct 2010 01:42:39 5,426 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hopefully my copy will be here when I wake up. I'll give it a bash before work, see what's what.
  • Fletche 15 Oct 2010 11:41:29 3,418 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Decided to go for it and have just ordered this, for £25 I can't go wrong (I hope)

Blaming Krudster if I don't like it!
  • krudster 15 Oct 2010 19:37:35 597 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Really interested to see what people make of it. Remember: it gets better and better the more you play it, so don't expect to be instantly wowed.
  • Oh-Bollox 15 Oct 2010 21:48:11 5,426 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Only just managed to get on it now. Looks and sounds lovely. I'll play it for a wee while and see how I feel.

The visuals are a mix of medieval stone, Industrial Revolution iron and plain weird. I can see why people mention Ico, but that's not quite right. It has more in common with something like Ghibli's Castle in the Sky, or even how I imagine certain sections of Stephen King's Dark Tower books.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2010 17:42:08
    @Oh-Bollox

Care to divulge any further? I really want to pre-order this but i need some reassurances.

Is it safe to say its not as bad as EG made out?
  • Fletche 16 Oct 2010 17:52:27 3,418 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played the first few levels, so far I am loving it. Hasn't thrown anything too difficult at me but hopefully that will change as I progress but it looks lovely, the lack of voices is very welcome as it adds to the atmosphere (something missing in a lot of games)

The mechanics are great and it is very easy to navigate using the wiimote and nunchuck, so really I can't see why there are low scores for this but as I say, not got far into it but so far I am very impressed.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2010 18:07:48
    Post deleted
  • Oh-Bollox 16 Oct 2010 18:08:02 5,426 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Only got about three hours in, but no, I wouldn't call it a bad game by any means.

Something that irks me is that the review for Enslaved basically said, "Mediocre, but with great production values." and gave it an 8. AST looks and sounds lovely, and the story, although there's less of it, is certainly less stupid, so I dunno how AST is a 5.

Reviewer's opinion, I know, but it still niggles.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2010 18:09:34
    Cheers guys,

Im teetering ever closer to re-establishing my order for this :)
  • trip919 17 Oct 2010 23:04:54 2,274 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Got to be honest, that review put me off. Still going to get it eventually but it would be good to hear some opinions in the meantime.
  • Oh-Bollox 17 Oct 2010 23:42:38 5,426 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Controls are good, sometimes a little fiddly, but not often. They make good use of the remote and nunchuk, allowing you to move and manipulate light sources at the same time, changing the level around you.

It is almost like a survival horror platformer, with the enemies dealing out heavy damage (the spiders are especially intimidating when they do that "Going to fucking rape you" abdomen thrust). Combat is fairly simplistic, it's not Prince of Persia or anything, but there's a variety of enemies and attack patterns.

One fair negative is the camera, it's not always placed in the best position for gameplay, but the reward is that it makes the levels look good, like an environment rather than a stage in a game.

The puzzles so far have been fairly simple, but they are getting more complex. It's a shame the light manipulation isn't always present, but while it started off simple, it's getting a bit more complex, opening up not just the way forward, but side routes that contain weight for your shadow.

Not managed to get many more hours in thanks to work, but I paid £25, and don't feel disappointed. Perhaps I will in another hour or three, or after I finish it, but so far this seems to be one where the atmosphere elevates the game beyond the mechanics.
  • wildcatforever 17 Oct 2010 23:44:59 222 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How intimidating are the spiders? I'm still recovering from Limbo :)
  • trip919 17 Oct 2010 23:52:43 2,274 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh-Bollox wrote:
    Controls are good, sometimes a little fiddly, but not often. They make good use of the remote and nunchuk, allowing you to move and manipulate light sources at the same time, changing the level around you.

It is almost like a survival horror platformer, with the enemies dealing out heavy damage (the spiders are especially intimidating when they do that "Going to fucking rape you" abdomen thrust). Combat is fairly simplistic, it's not Prince of Persia or anything, but there's a variety of enemies and attack patterns.

One fair negative is the camera, it's not always placed in the best position for gameplay, but the reward is that it makes the levels look good, like an environment rather than a stage in a game.

The puzzles so far have been fairly simple, but they are getting more complex. It's a shame the light manipulation isn't always present, but while it started off simple, it's getting a bit more complex, opening up not just the way forward, but side routes that contain weight for your shadow.

Not managed to get many more hours in thanks to work, but I paid £25, and don't feel disappointed. Perhaps I will in another hour or three, or after I finish it, but so far this seems to be one where the atmosphere elevates the game beyond the mechanics.

I like the sound of that! keep us updated on how you get on.
  • Deleted user 17 October 2010 23:54:20
    wildcatforever wrote:
    How intimidating are the spiders? I'm still recovering from Limbo :)

Well, they have rape on their mind, i would say that's pretty fucking intimidating :o

@Oh-Bollox

Thanks for your thoughts, keep us posted.
  • trip919 17 Oct 2010 23:58:28 2,274 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If only Kelly Brook would look at me with rape on her mind.
  • Oh-Bollox 18 Oct 2010 00:35:55 5,426 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Like a lot of good platformers, you've got a sense of weight and momentum. You are damaged by long falls, and you really plunge when you drop, too. Early on the vast majority of jumps are piss easy, even ones involving moving platforms, but I'm just getting into precision-jump-with-floating-enemy territory, and it's proving a bit more difficult.

Manipulating movable bits of scenery is a little bit insulting, the movable pieces not only look different but have a little sparkle on them, to ensure you don't miss them and get stuck. I know it's there to ensure play doesn't become frustrating, while you search for a rotatable platform, but still, it offends me a wee bit.

The shadow corridor sections are getting more interesting. At first, they were dead easy. You can rotate the whole 3D level left or right in 90-degree steps, producing different 2D configurations for you to climb. If you rotate the level and a part of it hits you, you get hurt and it resets. So early on, it's simply do it wrong or do it right. Now, I'm seeing dead ends, where you might do two rotations which seems to open up a way to progress, but doesn't. There's also timing to be taken into account as there are hazards that cycle on/off, and if you rotate into those you get hurt and it resets.

Wouldn't compare it to Metroid or anything, but on my way through the levels I'm seeing memories (which add weight to your shadow) that I have no idea how to reach (90 in the game, I've got 27). Just explored one level several times, looking for the switch/lever whatever, and still clueless, so there is exploring to be done. This might be me being shit.

The XP system (fucking orbs again) seems very lightweight, but at least the orbs home in on you and it makes the enemies easier to defeat.

According to the game, I'm just over seven hours in, 32% completed, on normal difficulty.
  • krudster 18 Oct 2010 09:10:26 597 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The sound design is very survival horror-esque as well, don't you think?
  • speedofthepuma 18 Oct 2010 09:13:07 13,320 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    trip919 wrote:
    If only Kelly Brook would look at me with rape on her mind.

I'm sure if you keep folllowing her she'll accuse you of planning rape, keep at it.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Fletche 20 Oct 2010 14:23:05 3,418 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played some more and it does get better and better the more you progress, really do not understand most of the criticisms this game has got from some reviewers, especially the back-tracking one, I have had to do that once so far in the whole game.

One thing I would say is that there is a lack of checkpoints, so if you die in a level you start that level again, but, you keep all your exp you have already gained. Another remark was that the exp gained didn't do anything, well, it does, where a spider can take 3 hits to kill, this is reduced to 2 and 1 ect when gaining levels and whilst the combat is as simplistic as it comes, it does break up the platforming nicely.

One thing above all else with this game, it has the best atmosphere of any game I have played this year.
  • Fletche 26 Oct 2010 15:21:30 3,418 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Another good review Here

It is such a shame no one seems to have bought this as it is a great game and whilst the combat isn't great, as it says in that review, it isn't difficult like it says in that review, can only think the reviewer was just a bit crap
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 26 Oct 2010 17:53:06 645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bought the game, now to find the time to play it. Hoping it's fun as I had my eye on it fora while but watching gameplay videos reduced my interest a bit. But as a Konami published niche Wii title I thoguht I'd better buy it now or never find it again (remembers how long it took to get Marbles: Blance Challenge and having to import Suikoden Tierkreis (ok I know its a DS game :p) despite my desire to support the local release).

• Oh-Bollox 27 Oct 2010 00:51:14 5,426 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    krudster wrote:
    The sound design is very survival horror-esque as well, don't you think?

Not noticed this until you mentioned it. The music's often very subtle and minimal, and this makes the sfx stand out sharply, especially things like that auditory prickling you get near enemies. Really good stuff, and not drowning it out was a wise design choice.

I've come to appreciate the way the levels are presented in 3D. The camera often shows them as if it's the objects and such you are climbing, so looking at the level you think "Looks easy."

Then you realise you only play on a 2D plane, so actually there's no way forward.

Then you realise you can climb the shadow of that lamp post, then run along the shadow of that wire to get to the ladder.

The enemies get weirder. Started off with simple spider shadows, now up against things that look like the shadows of flying spinal cords.

If anyone thinks this is easy, wait til you get to the bit with the swinging lightbulbs.
  • Fletche 28 Oct 2010 10:27:13 3,418 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh-Bollox wrote:
    The enemies get weirder. Started off with simple spider shadows, now up against things that look like the shadows of flying spinal cords.

If anyone thinks this is easy, wait til you get to the bit with the swinging lightbulbs.

They get weirder still the further you go, it starts throwing all sorts of creatures at you and if you thought the spiders where scary at the start.............................

Got to point last night where you learn about the white glowing things you see from time to time, was actually quite surprising and when you get to that point it adds a further element to the game.
  • krudster 29 Oct 2010 21:02:30 597 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm glad some people are trying it, at least. Gives me hope for mankind :)
  • Fletche 1 Nov 2010 11:02:27 3,418 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This game goes on forever, thought I had finished but no, got more stuff I need to do, already up to 12 hours (although the clock keeps going when you pause). The later levels are very good indeed and get a lot more complicated.
  • krudster 13 Nov 2010 09:00:38 597 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone finished this yet?
  • trip919 13 Nov 2010 10:06:50 2,274 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fletche wrote:
    This game goes on forever, thought I had finished but no, got more stuff I need to do, already up to 12 hours (although the clock keeps going when you pause). The later levels are very good indeed and get a lot more complicated.

I hate it when games do that - almost unforgivable. Completion times would be welcome people.
  • Fletche 13 Nov 2010 15:36:21 3,418 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    krudster wrote:
    Anyone finished this yet?

I have got stuck, I'm at the section now where I have to find 6 pieces of stained glass, have found 4 but there is one on one of the floors that I cannot find a way of getting to it, so have taken a break as it started to annoy me
  • Page

of 3 First / Last