Silent Hill: Downpour Page 3

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• young_money 13 Apr 2010 12:41:53 203 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    i'm interested to see if this is a SH2 remake as that is one of the few classic games i missed out on at the time for whatever reason. pondered ebaying it over the years but i'd definitely be interested in an up to date version.
  • Deleted user 13 April 2010 18:27:11
    Post deleted
  • Blerk Moderator 21 Apr 2010 13:56:08 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Everyone worried yet? No, not everyone? Some of you still holding out hope?

Have this new Silent Hill to be a FPS rumour, then.

How about now? :-)
  • Blerk Moderator 21 Apr 2010 13:57:10 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks like UE3 is pretty much confirmed regardless, then. That slide makes it perfectly clear just what the team does.
  • Tonka 21 Apr 2010 13:57:58 20,006 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hahahah ROLF! It get's the "Resident Evil on Wii" treatment for Notatall and Move

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Blerk Moderator 21 Apr 2010 14:01:39 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ouch! That would quite literally be the 'worst thing ever'! :-D
  • Tonka 21 Apr 2010 14:16:28 20,006 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The scariest thing is that I was just about to write "It made sense with Resident Evil". RE also started out as a horror title. Look how far it has come.

I blame RE4. The gratest game ever made. It opened up for all sorts of shit.

• Blerk Moderator 21 Apr 2010 14:38:41 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FF/PZ were third-person though, apart from when you're taking pictures.

I'm not against the idea, actually - first person can be great for horror games. I wouldn't want them to turn it into a straight shooter, though - the arcade games are already that and they're rubbish. Too many bullets completely wrecks the atmosphere.

If they could reboot it in a less shooty/more adventurey Bioshock mould then it'd probably be less of a culture shock than them trying to ape the games that came before it, which appears to be very difficult.
  • Deleted user 21 April 2010 14:41:54
    Tonka wrote:
    Hahahah ROLF!
  • Deleted user 21 April 2010 14:43:10
    SPAM wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    Hahahah ROWLF!
  • yupyup 21 Apr 2010 14:54:42 3,678 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I blame RE4. The gratest game ever made. It opened up for all sorts of shit.

Yeah, the Wii controls really were an abortion.

Hands Off Our Penises

• Tonka 21 Apr 2010 15:08:48 20,006 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No. I mean it. RE4 was so brilliant that Capcom thought they could do whatever the fuck they wanted. In a way they were right.

• Tonka 21 Apr 2010 15:09:47 20,006 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Which then led to a couple of RE fpses and inspired a Silent Hill on rails shooter.

• Blerk Moderator 21 Apr 2010 15:10:05 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RE4 was decent enough, but I found myself missing the Resi of old. And Silent Hill 2/3 kicked the tits off of it.
  • young_money 21 Apr 2010 15:14:19 203 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    anyone care to tell me what SH2 was like then please? always heard how good it was but the only experience of SH was about 3 or 4 hours of the first one. you can't be a follower of every good game series and SH was just one of the ones that didn't make the cut in favour of RE. what sort of storyline and scary moments were in SH2?
  • Tonka 21 Apr 2010 15:16:41 20,006 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    RE4 was decent enough, but I found myself missing the Resi of old. And Silent Hill 2/3 kicked the tits off of it.

Still haven't played SH2 but I doubt it would compare favourably to RE4. But RE4 is a straight up action game so it's a moot comparison (if there can be such a thing).

• Blerk Moderator 21 Apr 2010 15:17:11 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SH2 isn't really 'shock scary' as such, just totally unnerving. It's completely different to Resi's B-movie stylings, you can't really compare the two to be honest.

It's also one of the greatest games ever made. There, I said it.
  • GamesConnoisseur 21 Apr 2010 15:18:47 419 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Strange thing is I was pretty much more relaxed about XCOM turning to be FPS as I felt it could work.

But the thoughts of Silent Hill going FPS seem much more radical, as I think the key thing is pacing and numbers of actions in a short time. XCOM can get busy with horde of enemies and you switching over to different characters to make tactical choices. Viewpoints changed to FPS would still be possible ie Battlefield.

But Silent Hill is all about tension, survival horror rather than outright action adventure game. Uncharted still had loads of enemies and actions (third person I know), but if we suddenly get loads of monsters and that would devalues each encounter?

The creepiness works by having you slowly trawls through a room, but FPS dash through and you MISS a lot of details that was in the room.

I didnt like Silent Hill on Wii as thought it lost the fun factor by doing away with the combats, exploration felt very restricted and limited.

Well, we ll see what they turn up with at E3!
  • young_money 21 Apr 2010 15:20:35 203 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ah yeah, think i know what you mean about unnerving. think i'll wait it out to hear if there's going to be a remake, and if it isn't i'll finally bother to ebay it. they really need to start releasing PS2 games on PSN now that pretty much everyone has a 250gig+ hard drive.
  • Deleted user 24 April 2010 14:54:12
    If it is played in a first person perspective that makes it half interesting again, as those PC games (latest one called Amnesia something, I forget *badum*) look pretty scary.

The early bits of Bioshock were very unnerving as well, and while I can't share the outright praise disc mentioned for Echo Night Beyond, due to its routine fetch structure (among other things) the setting and atmosphere were second to none. Genuinely frightening in places when played in the dark with headphones, if only it was more psychological in nature, more emphasis on the horror/adventure hybrid elements of the game.

Really need to try out the earlier ones, anyway Silent Hill 6, I'll try to ignore the SH part of the title and give it a chance when they show it at E3.
  • Deleted user 26 April 2010 18:21:58
    Blerk wrote:
    Everyone worried yet? No, not everyone? Some of you still holding out hope?

Have this new Silent Hill to be a FPS rumour, then.

How about now? :-)

FPS, that's sh-t.
    The fact that Kuju are making it is more worrying.

If you want Silent Hill, play Silent Hll 2, followed by Silent Hill 3, the go and find another game to play. Siren Blood Curse is pretty neat.
  • Jim_Lahey 27 Apr 2010 13:32:48 11 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shame Climax are not given another shot. SM was nearly there. They nearly nailed the unsettling atmosphere of the early Silent Hill games and the whole 'wtf' feel the games used to have.

Guess them being a western developer hinders them as they dont have the saem take as the Japanese do on horror.
  • Machetazo 4 Jun 2010 23:10:49 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If Homecoming was 5... Then this confirmation (with more to come at E3) must go here! Vatra, of new Rush 'N' Attack creation. Not exactly western? Czech.
  • Hunam 4 Jun 2010 23:44:11 20,674 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Without Yamaoka on the tunes, I'm not sure there is anything I want from Silent Hill anymore.
  • drhcnip 5 Jun 2010 07:57:55 2,432 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Vertical Stand wrote:

The early bits of Bioshock were very unnerving as well, and while I can't share the outright praise disc mentioned for Echo Night Beyond, due to its routine fetch structure (among other things) the setting and atmosphere were second to none. Genuinely frightening in places when played in the dark with headphones, if only it was more psychological in nature, more emphasis on the horror/adventure hybrid elements of the game.

funnily enough, reading through the first few pages, echo night beyond was the first game that came to my mind as well - brilliant atmosphere
  • absolutezero 17 Jun 2010 00:23:49 7,956 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-silent-hill/700166

WAT. Silent Hill is dead.
  • laharl80 17 Jun 2010 00:33:33 210 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Halo was more scary than Resi 4 and 5 and now Silent Hill is being ruined.
    If you like survival horror you are out of luck this gen.
  • Ged42 17 Jun 2010 07:36:33 7,700 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looks alright, the atmosphere looks onthe mark at it looks like there might be a return to wandering lost in the fog bound streets.

I'll probably give it a go if the reviews are decent.
  • Tomo 17 Jun 2010 08:30:02 13,878 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That looks pant-wettingly scary :x
  • Page

of 12 First / Last