Silent Hill: Downpour Page 11

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• Spong 29 Oct 2012 15:35:38 525 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Goodfella According to Konami America, a PS3 patch is still on its way for Downpour.
  • drhcnip 29 Oct 2012 16:54:13 2,448 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Goodfella

i'm about half way through on ps3 (centennial building)and there's been the occasional judder but nowhere near what i expected

i'm really enjoying it, but then i love all things silent hill
  • grover 2 Nov 2012 03:40:28 11 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Goodfella I'd still get it mate. I'm finding it to be almost unplayably horrible.

I was just doing an Edgar Allan Poe-y quest, trudging around in a labrynthine, pitch-black sewer looking for a dead guy's heart (guided by an increasingly urgent heartbeat!). When I found it, all hell breaks loose, the foulest noises imaginable start screaming from everywhere and you are paralysed with fear. I had no idea what to do because the route I'd taken was a maze. So I did what you'd do in a nightmare and just ran and tried not to look at the things grasping at me lol.

It's too much. I think I'm going to have a heart attack.

GOT A BRONZE TROPHY THO haha
  • Agent_Llama 2 Nov 2012 05:45:39 3,339 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are they patching the stupid checkpointing? I lost half an hour of playing after actually reaching Silent Hill by suffering an instadeath, and found myself dumped back at the sky tram thingy station. Haven't played it since. A pity as I was starting to get into it and have some hope that it was a decent Silent Hill.

Edited by Agent_Llama at 05:48:44 02-11-2012

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola
    FFXIV ARR: Alekzander Lockhart, Odin

• drhcnip 2 Nov 2012 05:53:02 2,448 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    right near the end now and really enjoyed it - haven't noticed any daft checkpointing, perhaps i've died at more convenient times....;)
  • yupyup 4 Nov 2012 13:02:16 3,679 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Picked this up on 360 over Halloween and patched it before starting. I'm usually not one to complain over technical issues but it really is a bit of a mess. After dying against the second screamer twice (still getting used to holding Y to block, which doesn't really seem to work anyway) I reloaded my last save as prompted by the game. Gave up and switched it off on my third attempt only for it to put me back half an hour when I re-tried today.

Murphy's health status is certainly ambiguous, especially when you're running around in a circle looking for half a chair to beat something to death with. The aiming seems quite off too, while trying to break open a lock, standing in the exact same position, the results seem very different. I thought it was hold left trigger and use right to strike but Murphy seems to fling the weapon half the time.

Still, it's not all bad, there is an interesting vibe. And it certainly wins the award for least encouraging loading screen tip of all time.

'We are all dying slowly'

Hands Off Our Penises

• yupyup 5 Nov 2012 15:32:06 3,679 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Right trigger makes you throw your weapon, X is attack.

Thing is though the point is not to fight but to run away if possible, they don't usually follow you for long and there are only a few parts where running away isn't an option.
    @GoodFella

Thanks!

This was in Devil's Pit so I'd assumed I would be able to outrun them when it opened up more.

Hands Off Our Penises

• Cappy 24 Jan 2013 13:29:07 11,832 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tomm Hulett has left Konami.

Whether it has anything to do with the long string of duds he was involved with is anybody's guess.

Which leaves us with either a hiatus for Silent Hill with the the spin off projects such as the films representing the series for the next few years. Or Konami have something green-lighted, so far unannounced, Kojima expressed an interest so perhaps it's not the end of Silent Hill yet.
  • -cerberus- 24 Jan 2013 13:32:07 2,464 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cappy wrote: Tomm Hulett has left Konami.
    Fuck. Yes.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• DUFFMAN5 14 Apr 2013 08:56:32 14,435 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Played a good few hours of this now and have to say the atmosphere and investigating side of things is very old school SH, which is a good thing. The combat is mostly terrible (mostly ;) ) and it tears like a muthafuker but if, IF you can look past them, this is more survival horror here than the last few Resi evil's could ever get close to. It also has a couple of batshit crazy things going on, which is also very Silent Hill.

I have enjyed all the SH games (with the original still being the best)and with this one, I'm enjoying more than I thought I would. If you were holding back defo take a look at it, when it hits sub 20.
    After nearly a year back, i'm er...back in Silent Hill!
    I re-rented from Lovefilm again as I never gave the game the love the series deserves last time,this was mainly due to me spending every minute playing Gears 3 this time last year (now it is GearsJ!)

Has taken me an hour or so to get back into, but I was only around 4 hours in anyway, so not that far in, as to be totally lost. Just completed the Cinema "mini-quest" thing, and met a nun.
    Reason for the post is just a rebump really to say to any fans of the series, that this is well worth a playthrough, it has bags of atmosphere with surround sound headphones, the combat is better, now that I have a few weapons. Silent Hill is creepy as hell to walk around, so it is all SH gravy :)
    While you are at it Homecoming is also well worth a go.

Strangly this week I have rented,bought and sold a Silent Hill game..all different ones mind you.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• DUFFMAN5 14 Apr 2013 09:23:16 14,435 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    I really enjoyed it but then I'm not a hardcore SH fan so I just treated it as a creepy adventure game in it's own right. A solid 8/10 for me.
    Have you played the others ?
    You really should play 1-3 excellent games all 10/10.

• DUFFMAN5 14 Apr 2013 09:39:01 14,435 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Goodpyramidheadfella

greast stuff, as long as you enjoyed we will not judge you ;)

Edit, fookin keyboard

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 09:40:37 14-04-2013

• Rose-of-Sorrow 14 Apr 2013 10:07:10 492 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 How is Silent Hill 4? I've heard mixed reviews, but the story sounds pretty interesting. I might have to play it at some point.
  • drhcnip 14 Apr 2013 10:33:31 2,448 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    the room is well worth a play....not among the strongest in the series, but still worth a punt
  • Cappy 14 Apr 2013 12:18:57 11,832 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Silent Hill 4 is a classic compared to the abysmal dreck that is Downpour.
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Apr 2013 12:31:01 14,435 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Silent Hill 4 is a classic compared to the abysmal dreck that is Downpour.
    What is this "dreck" you speak of, and also why so ? just interested is all.

• Cappy 14 Apr 2013 12:58:30 11,832 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This?

dreck

n. Slang
    Trash, especially inferior merchandise.
    [German, dirt, trash and Yiddish drek, excrement, both from Middle High German drec, from Old High German; see sker-3 in Indo-European roots.]
    Downpour is the worst Silent Hill game yet, that's why.

There is no atmosphere due to most of the game being built from unintelligent reuse of the same assets again and again. Remember the attention to detail of the earlier Silent Hill games? How most rooms would suggest a narrative, such as signs of the aftermath of some bizarre or horrifying event, building a sense of unease and engaging your imagination. None of that is in Downpour, because it's unsubtle and stupid.

Remember the unsettling enemies that disturbed you so in earlier Silent Hill games? Their ambiguity, once again engaged the imagination, it was difficult to determine who or what they were. None of that is in Downpour, because it's unsubtle and stupid. Downpour's enemies are not just bad by Silent Hill standards they don't measure up against any standard.

Remember the billowing, turbulent clouds of fog in the PS2 version Silent Hill 2? That's an important detail that somebody made just so, because you guessed it, they wanted to engage the imagination. Nobody seemed to care about details or imagination in Downpour, the fog is a tedious, flat grey veil, probably some default Unreal Engine setting rather than something tailored, something that was considered. None of that is in Downpour, because it's unsubtle and stupid.

I could continue all day, Downpour is the all time low point of the series, worse than Homecoming even.
  • JinTypeNoir 14 Apr 2013 14:27:43 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Time has been kind to Silent Hill 4.

When it was released, a lot of people thought it wasn't like the other Silent Hill games enough. Now it tends to be praised for continuing to rework the idea of what a Silent Hill game could be.

When it was released, a lot of people had problems with the combat and pacing, but if they only knew how truly bad it was going to get. Nowadays, Silent Hill 4 looks downright visionary, because these days you can get brownie points in game design if you make a player pay attention to actually learning how to deal with the game's enemies.

When it was released, some people thought Konami was chasing the dollar with the growing popularity of first-person shooters, with those first person sequences. If they only knew how original those would end up being compared to what came later.

Silent Hill 4 still isn't what you'd call an immaculate game, but its flaws are just interesting as its strong points and the overall game design is so much more fascinating.

These days, the torch for that kind of forward thinking in horror design has been taken by PC games like Yume Nikki, Amnesia, Corpse Party or Ib.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2013 12:13:35
    Not played a SH game since SH4 on my PC back when. Previously played SH2 & 3.

Bought Downpour yesterday seeing as how it was reduced in the Xbox Gold Deal of the Week. I'd fancied getting it for a while but was put off a bit by reviews so waited til it was cheaper.

So, last night, popped the real 3D on, stuck me glasses on, shoved me headphones on and turned the lights out. Good lord was I not a little bit scared. So far I think it's absolutely superb. Granted, I've not fought anything yet but just back from my first visit to the otherworld and am very impressed. The sound/music so far is way above my expectations as had heard particularly that the soundtrack wasn't as good after AY left Konami. Loving the way it switches to first person as you go through doors allowing you to creep your way through. The otherworld especially was magnificent, the 3D making it all the more disorientating and fucked up.

Very much looking forward to continuing this.
  • Baihu1983 21 Aug 2013 12:17:59 3,312 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Really tempted to download this while its on sale. Can you find it around that price on disc?
  • Deleted user 21 August 2013 12:25:31
    I couldn't. Cheapest I could get it second hand was about 12 plus postage...

Because I had 100 points already I bought 800 off Game (using MSPoints it's 880) meaning I only really paid 6.99 for it. Bargain.
  • onestepfromlost 21 Aug 2013 15:53:33 2,039 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I played it through when I got it from lovefilm. I quite enjoyed it but found the combat a bit iffy, so felt they should have made the fighting more something that should be avoided like in previous games.

Never played 4 and didn't finish homecoming. Loved the other games though. I feel it was good just not great, story was alright, but saw it coming really.
  • Deleted user 26 August 2013 09:59:14
    Good grief, combat is tough isn't it? Just met a big something in Devil's Pit and I can't even get near to it to hit it. Threw a couple of bottles at it's face then it killed me. I may run away next time.

That said, I'm still loving this immensely. The fact the combat is so awkward adds to the realism of the encounters. No fancy moves just swipe, block and run away! The static / monster alert thing is such a cool feature of these games, really getting you on edge before you encounter something.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last