Silent Hill: Downpour Page 10

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• quadfather 4 Apr 2012 08:31:58 13,415 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've only played it for a short while - we're talking about 20 minutes - near the chair lift ride thing - am absolutely loving the atmosphere.

Haven't done any fighting yet, but it feels good to me

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Bombonera 4 Apr 2012 19:03:00 345 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Barely played for an hour but I've encountered a fairly major bug. The Saving icon at the top right of the screen will not disappear. It stays there permanently even after reloading the game. Annoying as hell, but I don't feel like restarting.
  • Darth_Flibble 4 Apr 2012 21:32:30 1,781 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have to agree with some of what spudsbuckley said about devs needing a bit of training about what makes a good game. Not aimed at the downpour dev mainly but gaming in general, you play the game and think why the fuck would they put that in the game. also they fall back on "mash the button like a chimp" or QTE because it easier to do that then think of new mechanics or ideas.

Seen all 6 endings, 4 mains ones,the "failure" one and the surprise ending is silly bit of fan service
  • Deleted user 5 April 2012 13:58:09
    I think I'm around halfway now. I like the story for what it is but I'm finding more gripes with design and bugs than anything. I've had murphy go into what looks like the default mode lrigging pose a few times.

Also I think the Boogeyman boss is the weakest design I've seen in any silent hill game. Pretty much Mr-X from Resident Evil 2 in a gasmask. Lame. Only found out what to do in that fight by a guess too.

On the plus though done the cinema side quest and got a pretty neat suprise from it.:D
  • Cappy 5 Apr 2012 16:28:28 12,119 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GamesTM have their Silent Hill: Downpour review online too

Rather aptly another 6, combined with the scores from the other two members of the UK game reviews trio, Edge and Eurogamer that's 666, sinister!
  • Deleted user 5 April 2012 21:15:10
    In the town now, it opens up nicely but the engine is complete and utter bollocks.

Horrible herky jerky nonsense with constant 4 or 5 second long frame skips when you are running about in open spaces. The game doesn't even look that great either so it just seems to be more dev-sloppiness.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2012 22:54:33
    Finished it just there now.

An utter mess from a technical point of view, riddled with horrendously obvious design fuck-ups, dire combat hindered by a horrible camera and a lock-on system that includes dead enemies when you are changing targets and provides no visual cue as to who you are aiming at. Also, it had a few instances of every devs favourite difficulty-increasing crutch - the instadeath trail and error section.

Yet i ended up enjoying the game a good bit. It feels more like something that was heavily inspired by Silent Hill rather than an actual Silent Hill game but the atmosphere was pitched right and they got the grime, isolation and pervasive unease just right. The story was pretty decent too and was a bit more straightforward than previous games in the series.

So, basically a tour-de-force in horrible game design tropes and bad programming that brings down a good story and interesting world. I can't help but think if Konami had given the devs more resources that they would have made a really good game rather than a decent game that struggles to outshine it's own shortcomings.
  • repairmanjack 8 Apr 2012 17:37:00 6,082 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, the atmosphere is there, now I'm in Silent Hill itself... but I could do with some sense of direction, having circled everything five times and not having a clue where to go or how to progress.

I've sorted the Police's traffic problem, found my way into a basement (the one with the crying), found a bird... and... I'm at a loss where to go now.

Any tips? I'm slowly getting my health worn away by silent attackers, and I really don't feel I'm getting anywhere.

Any tips?
  • richarddavies 9 Apr 2012 12:11:34 2,933 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you've been round the map a few times you should have a blue question mark on the map. That's like an objective marker, You need to do something there to progress. To be fair to you I did the exact same thing as you till I figured it out. I just wandered round aimlessly cursing the game design.
  • neilka 9 Apr 2012 12:23:34 16,544 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Any tips?
    Look up!

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• repairmanjack 9 Apr 2012 14:11:13 6,082 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh. Things got a bit easier once I went back to Devil's Pit and found the bloody map. Ahem.

Got a fair bit further, and encountered a couple of side-quests. Wow. After a less than stellar start it really brings the old-school Silent Hill vibe back. The Screamer enemies are quite poor... but finding that Doll. :)
  • quadfather 10 Apr 2012 08:36:56 13,415 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just left the first area via the tram thing. Technology is a bit pants and the combat is a bit iffy (again, technology wise).

Not sure whether I like it when Murphy shouts out loud when things freak out. Isn't that my job?
    Enjoying it but will see how it goes

• Deleted user 10 April 2012 09:31:12
    quadfather wrote:
    Just left the first area via the tram thing. Technology is a bit pants and the combat is a bit iffy (again, technology wise).

You think it's bad now? Wait until you get into a somewhat open area. The game regularly turns into a slideshow.
  • quadfather 10 Apr 2012 12:38:24 13,415 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @spudsbuckley - noticed that once you get the ticket for the tram thing, and unlock the gate to get outside and are attacked by 3 monsters, it was a case of sheer chaos

with the combination of the freezing, along with the lock on method, I might as well have stuck the controller up my cats arse to get the same result

• Deleted user 10 April 2012 12:45:34
    quadfather wrote:
    @spudsbuckley - noticed that once you get the ticket for the tram thing, and unlock the gate to get outside and are attacked by 3 monsters, it was a case of sheer chaos

with the combination of the freezing, along with the lock on method, I might as well have stuck the controller up my cats arse to get the same result
    Yeah, same thing happened to me. It decided to save about 5 or 6 times during the battle for some reason. Shame that saving freezes what you see completely whilst the game continues on "underneath". Teleportation based combat becomes the order of the day with both you and the enemies snapping about the place wildly.

A laughably dire effort by the devs in certain aspects of the game.
  • quadfather 10 Apr 2012 13:27:01 13,415 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That'll be why I kept facing different directions then

sigh

If I wrote a game, and played it, and my character started spazzing out, I'd think, "Shitting hell, I'll have to sort that"

What I want to know is what went through the dev's heads at the same time when the testers told them

Edited by quadfather at 13:28:04 10-04-2012

• Deleted user 11 April 2012 00:49:28
    quadfather wrote:
    That'll be why I kept facing different directions then

sigh

If I wrote a game, and played it, and my character started spazzing out, I'd think, "Shitting hell, I'll have to sort that"

What I want to know is what went through the dev's heads at the same time when the testers told them
    The entire technical side of the game is a case of "why/how the fuck was that left like that?"

The devs seem to have just not given a fuck or never actually played their own game to realise how incredibly shonky it was.
  • DUFFMAN5 19 Apr 2012 06:06:15 15,422 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Played a good few hours of this now and have to say the atmosphere and investigating side of things is very old school SH, which is a good thing. The combat is mostly terrible (mostly ;) ) and it tears like a muthafuker but if, IF you can look past them, this is more survival horror here than the last few Resi evil's could ever get close to. It also has a couple of batshit crazy things going on, which is also very Silent Hill.

I have enjyed all the SH games (with the original still being the best)and with this one, I'm enjoying more than I thought I would. If you were holding back defo take a look at it, when it hits sub 20.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• richarddavies 19 Apr 2012 11:59:31 2,933 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Completed this at the weekend. There was some little nuggets of joy in there for me The Hanzel and Gretel house and cinema spring to mind It was just hampered by a terrible engine and a sloppy fight system. If they had more time and a bit more of a budget I think it could of been something special. It's a shame.
  • jamesi 20 Apr 2012 03:31:23 223 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Strange game this.its almost completely shit and almost great at the same time.has some near game braking faults and I nearly gave up on it early on glad i didn't though as underneath its problems it IS a good game with good story and great moments it's also decent length wise.def worth picking up in the 20 range.it reminded me of old school resi at times(a good thing) I give it 7/10
  • quadfather 20 Apr 2012 11:54:23 13,415 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Strange game this.its almost completely shit and almost great at the same time

Awesome summary :-)

• coomber 13 May 2012 16:25:08 348 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Played a good few hours of this now and have to say the atmosphere and investigating side of things is very old school SH, which is a good thing. The combat is mostly terrible (mostly ;) ) and it tears like a muthafuker but if, IF you can look past them, this is more survival horror here than the last few Resi evil's could ever get close to.
    I'm about three hours in and agree that the atmosphere is great and it has an old-school Silent Hill feel - though I love the return of the Silent Hill: Origins breakable-weapons-everywhere approach.

But when is this thing getting patched? Frame rate plummets from time to time, it's ugly when it IS running smoothly and I can only assume that it's a bug that, when using the lighter, the camera zooms in so tight that you are virtually playing in first-person. The game has cheap-and-not-very-cheerful written all over it.

Not being able to choose when I save is a pain in the backside, and why do I have to call up the menu and then hit 'Statistics' to see how badly hurt my character is? The sound of the heartbeat kicking in is far too vague, along with the other hints it drops. I don't want hits: I want to know.
  • Paulie_P 8 Aug 2012 10:17:30 416 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've just finished the minecart ride (out of the caves) section and I'm struggling to continue with the game as the combat is so bad.
  • repairmanjack 8 Aug 2012 11:09:59 6,082 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Keep going. I didn't like it at all until I got to the next area, and then it somehow becomes quietly brilliant.
  • grover 29 Oct 2012 14:41:27 11 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just picked this up new as the price has dropped a bit.

I wasn't really expecting it to be one of the most imaginative, gruelling horror games I'd ever played!

Absolutely brilliant. You need a tolerance for shit frame rates, but if you can get over that, it's stunning. As I get older I think I'd rather play something like this (broken but imaginative) than something running at 60fps with no soul.
  • Spong 29 Oct 2012 15:14:53 525 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Goodfella I can only speak for the 360 version (now with a patch). The screen tear is mostly minimal. The stuttering though, even after the patch, is still fairly frequent and irksome once you reach the town, and that has a knock on effect on the framerate (which normally drags for a second or two after a stutter before levelling out again).

The game is damn good though, even with its faults. Personally, as a SIlent Hill nerd, I think Downpour is the shot in the arm the series needed. It's just a shame the patch hasn't rectified the technical wrinkles (for me anyway).

Edited by Spong at 15:16:10 29-10-2012
  • Page

of 12 First / Last