Searching for 'new' MMO

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • mattixica 5 Apr 2010 17:19:06 15 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hi all,

I have played many different free and subscription MMORPG/MMORTS/MMOFPS etc. over the past decade, I spent a good 3 years on Eve-Online. In the last year i have been pulling my hair out and slowly losing the will to play any games at all (surviving on re-playing final fantasy games on the ps1 to pass time). I need an MMO that will keep me occupied and motivated to play it for more than the time it takes to finish the tutorial.

If anyone has played an MMO (im not fussy about age, graphics, cost etc.) that is not just repetitive gameplay where power is directly proportional to size of weapon and the only way to get the biggest weapon is to play the most. This removes any need for me to use my rather diminishing amounts of brain cells, and thus just makes a MMORPG a RPG + Chat room (similar to grinding on final fantasy while using MSN). Please if anyone knows any games or is in the same boat as me post links, names anything.

Thanks everyone,
    Mattixica
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Apr 2010 17:22:36 37,302 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I play this one called "The Outside World". It's great, but quite expensive.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• mattixica 5 Apr 2010 17:23:15 15 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Will look into it like i said cost matters not, just need something to play.

Thanks
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Apr 2010 17:24:11 37,302 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, it's a real looker as well. I've met some nice people there too.

• Deleted user 5 April 2010 17:29:47
    Slagging a guy about playing a game on a games forum when you have a gamerscore of over 35k isn't a good look.
  • evilashchris 5 Apr 2010 17:30:23 6,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ha ha! :D

Twitter: @COToole

• Orange 5 Apr 2010 17:31:37 4,654 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    Slagging a guy about playing a game on a games forum when you have a gamerscore of over 35k isn't a good look.
    and he has a post count of 20k. Should try following his own advice :)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Apr 2010 17:48:38 37,302 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey, I've spent most of the weekend playing "The Outside World". My wife and daughter play too, so I would say I'm well adjusted :-)

• Futaba 5 Apr 2010 18:08:23 3,461 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wait for FF14. You could play FF11 but you'd be turning up to the party a bit late, it's a very complete game with so many things to do, but it's not in its prime anymore.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Deleted user 5 April 2010 18:11:28
    Jesus Christ I nearly googled "The Outside World" for a moment there :(
  • mattixica 5 Apr 2010 18:15:16 15 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WoW was too much of go here kill 10 of these, it left very little scope for being creative. I played it for a month or so before i became tired of just leveling up so i could do something new and then another week of leveling. Also what bothered me with WoW is that yes its very popular and on nights out id meet people who played... just never on my realm.

Ahh forgot ff14 for a moment there. I played 11 for a little while but i was a bit late for the party. I look forward to ff14 but however i have lost a little faith in the final fantasy titles after 12 and 13.
  • Kostabi 5 Apr 2010 18:16:57 4,874 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apostle wrote:
    Jesus Christ I nearly googled "The Outside World" for a moment there :(

Brilliant. :D
  • MikeP 6 Apr 2010 14:49:42 1,765 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    DDevil wrote:
    Hey, I've spent most of the weekend playing "The Outside World". My wife and daughter play too, so I would say I'm well adjusted :-)

Well I played the "Horticulturist" addon pack today and I got covered in mud, damp knees, and now have several thorns embedded in my arm. Should have played EVE instead.

Funnily enough I got the same addon pack, but also got the "blocked drains" DLC free.
  • spengos 8 Apr 2010 22:38:41 19 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mattixica, I'm in a similar position. I'm a long time WoW player but have also tried just about every other MMO out there to try and find something a bit different. I've discovered that there's not really much else out there at the moment and many games are just clones of existing big titles and not even good clones some of them. With WoW being as successful as it is, just about every game released now is based on the same design. A few games have come along in the last couple of years with good ideas but they seem to just fizzle away as the player base gradually shift back to their previous games.

There's some decent stuff on the horizon, but whether it'll be something original or more of the same is yet to be seen. As already mentioned FFXIV Online will be a biggy. There's Star Wars The Old Republic coming probably early next year, which promises to be more story based instead of gear/grind. Another one that looks good is Guild Wars 2. Will probably be quite similar to the first but in terms of visuals and the art style this one is looking amazing.
  • Pirotic Moderator 8 Apr 2010 22:43:33 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wait for Blizzards social mmo (going to be a lot of tears when people find out it's more world of facebook than starcraft).

Or if you can't wait until 2014, the Lego MMO is supposed to be shaping up nicely.
  • Deleted user 8 April 2010 22:46:36
    Club Penguin!
  • Pirotic Moderator 8 Apr 2010 22:49:53 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Micro_Explosion. wrote:
    Club Penguin!

I hear it's a pretty great place for picking up girls.
  • Deleted user 8 April 2010 22:51:04
    Yes. And they're small enough that you actually can pick them up.
  • iokthemonkey 9 Apr 2010 00:40:58 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What's that steampunky one with the puzzle games? Or you could try Free Realms (it's actually better than you'd think)?

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• Benno 9 Apr 2010 16:20:40 9,761 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used to love the "Outside World", but they ruined it with the "time to leave Uni and get a job" patch 1.5

Now its shit

EG Hearthstone Tournament

• Bloodloss 9 Apr 2010 16:28:14 4,499 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Wait for Blizzards social mmo (going to be a lot of tears when people find out it's more world of facebook than starcraft).

Or if you can't wait until 2014, the Lego MMO is supposed to be shaping up nicely.

I hate you and your insider information :(

Also 2014? Really? Argh
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 9 Apr 2010 16:46:47 37,302 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    I used to love the "Outside World", but they ruined it with the "time to leave Uni and get a job" patch 1.5

Now its shit
    Students need nerfing anyway.

• Benno 9 Apr 2010 16:48:19 9,761 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yeah, I wish they provided more than one character slot on the server so i could reroll a student

they have been op every patch

EG Hearthstone Tournament

• Carlo 9 Apr 2010 17:21:27 17,948 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    DDevil wrote:

Well I played the "Horticulturist" addon pack today and I got covered in mud, damp knees, and now have several thorns embedded in my arm. Should have played EVE instead.
    God this reminds me of my teenage lovemakeing!

PSN ID: Djini

• Deleted user 9 April 2010 17:23:23
    Carlo wrote:
    Smuggo wrote:
    DDevil wrote:

God this reminds me of my teenage lovemakeing!

Maybe you shouldn't have spent it fucking hedges.
  • andylee 21 Apr 2010 09:08:22 10 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What i want to say is that there are no good games if you don't play with your friends.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous