iPad game/app review thread Page 4

• Page

of 54 First / Last

• yegon 1 Jun 2010 12:28:40 5,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jackface wrote:
    It's in the Accessibility options, by the way :)

Yeah, Id already found that, but quickly realised there was no way I'd got to all the trouble of enabling/disabling every time I wanted to read a book. That Triple Click option had completely passed me by though, nice one.
  • Jackface 1 Jun 2010 23:09:24 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    1Password is pretty good, on all platforms (Mac, iPhone and iPad) and as luck would have it they've got a 50% sale on all their software this week: over here
  • monkeyspasm 2 Jun 2010 08:32:11 2,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What's the best newspaper app then? The Guardian is ace on iPhone, but doesn't work on iPad (as someone's already said).
  • THFourteen 2 Jun 2010 09:05:41 32,857 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    Dr Strangelove wrote:
    So what is everybodys favourite comic book/file reader?

I've been using Comic Zeal 4. In the context of apps world, not exactly cheap at £4.99, but it does a great job if you want to put your own collection on the iPad. Only syncs via wifi with it's own desktop prog though, Apple won't allow any usb malarkey, oh no.

Actually it does! i use comic zeal 4, and you can transfer files via USB using itunes. works fine. the reader is pretty decent and whizzy, altho not many extras (not that i can think of any extras they might be able to include, but thats why i am a IT gimp not a designer/developer)

re: newspaper - have you looked at "the early edition"? I want someone to try it out for me before i spend £2.99:)
  • KingOfSpain 2 Jun 2010 09:42:12 5,187 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No doubt that his has already been mentioned but has anyone played around with the Korg iElectribeR app yet.

I had a quick play around with it yesterday and despite having no idea at all at first, after half an hour I was laying down some proper cool beats :)
  • yegon 2 Jun 2010 09:50:08 5,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    yegon wrote:
    Dr Strangelove wrote:
    So what is everybodys favourite comic book/file reader?

I've been using Comic Zeal 4. In the context of apps world, not exactly cheap at £4.99, but it does a great job if you want to put your own collection on the iPad. Only syncs via wifi with it's own desktop prog though, Apple won't allow any usb malarkey, oh no.

Actually it does! i use comic zeal 4, and you can transfer files via USB using itunes. works fine. the reader is pretty decent and whizzy, altho not many extras (not that i can think of any extras they might be able to include, but thats why i am a IT gimp not a designer/developer)

re: newspaper - have you looked at "the early edition"? I want someone to try it out for me before i spend £2.99:)

Edited by THFourteen at 09:06:11 02-06-2010

USB? No way, that's good. Is it secreted away under a tab in iTunes or summat?

Anyway, now you tell me, after bunging 2gb, somewhat labouriously, on there over wifi. Still, The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes on ipad FTW!
  • THFourteen 2 Jun 2010 09:59:09 32,857 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • THFourteen 2 Jun 2010 09:59:14 32,857 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    it is kinda hidden away. when you connect your ipad, go to the ipad node in itunes, and then click on the "apps" tab.

below the bit where you select your apps, you should see another box where there is comic zeal (and goodreader) on the left hand side, and a box where you can dragndrop comics/pdfs to sync via usb!
  • Dr-Strangelove 2 Jun 2010 10:00:27 2,130 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cool, so I'll have a look at Comic Zeal for my long term use for comics.

I was looking at the latest iLounge guide they create every year (link) and its lovely to browse on he iPad. This got me thinking about other magazines and apps appearing on the app store. I'm not going to buy any apps until the whole price structure beds down so I'm happy to upload or preferably download them in a reader app.

What's the best place to get magazines as PDF's? Any free magazine resources?
  • monkeyspasm 2 Jun 2010 11:10:45 2,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some of the music creation apps already look amazing.

StudioTrack in particular, but it only appears to be on the US Store (can't get on the app store to check). Do most apps tend to come out here a bit later, or do I need to get a US iTunes account? I don't have a US credit card, boo.

Their iPhone app FourTrack by the same developers is on the UK app store. May try that anyway as it's £5.99 whereas StudioTrack is 40 quid!
  • mrpon 2 Jun 2010 11:15:47 28,427 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dr Strangelove wrote:
    What's the best place to get magazines as PDF's? Any free magazine resources?
    Not free, but some good stuff here. I've got the Games™ one.

Not bought an iPad, yet!

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• KingOfSpain 2 Jun 2010 11:19:49 5,187 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monkeyspasm wrote:

StudioTrack in particular, but it only appears to be on the US Store (can't get on the app store to check). Do most apps tend to come out here a bit later, or do I need to get a US iTunes account? I don't have a US credit card, boo.

Their iPhone app FourTrack by the same developers is on the UK app store. May try that anyway as it's £5.99 whereas StudioTrack is 40 quid!

I mentioned the Korg iElectribe app earlier and it is fantastic. Only £5 and it's on the UK store too.
  • monkeyspasm 2 Jun 2010 11:20:32 2,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sky Player is out on iPad.

It's £6 a month if you have Sky with Sky Sports already, but £35 a month if you either aren't a Sky subscriber or have Sky but not Sky Sports.

That is absolute daylight robbery, cheeky bastards. I've paid them £50+ a month for years and they want another £35? I'd love to be able to cancel my Sky package, the wife and kids won't let me!
  • monkeyspasm 2 Jun 2010 11:39:09 2,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    monkeyspasm wrote:

I mentioned the Korg iElectribe app earlier and it is fantastic. Only £5 and it's on the UK store too.

Nice! Are there any multitrack recorders on the UK app store that you know of?
  • KingOfSpain 2 Jun 2010 11:44:08 5,187 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monkeyspasm wrote:
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    monkeyspasm wrote:

Nice! Are there any multitrack recorders on the UK app store that you know of?

I've not seen any but, to be honest, I haven't really been looking!
  • Jackface 2 Jun 2010 12:31:32 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    No doubt that his has already been mentioned but has anyone played around with the Korg iElectribeR app yet.

I had a quick play around with it yesterday and despite having no idea at all at first, after half an hour I was laying down some proper cool beats :)
    I love it, especially the fact that each beat is really just a waveform that you have to mangle into a useable sound manually, unless you start off with some of the pre-programmed patterns. A few things I really miss, like the ability to load or save a 'kit' of instruments, and also the lack of a Song mode, but otherwise it's extremely good fun.
  • Jackface 2 Jun 2010 12:32:15 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    monkeyspasm wrote:

£5.99 if we're being picky... ;)
  • KingOfSpain 2 Jun 2010 12:35:24 5,187 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jackface wrote:
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    monkeyspasm wrote:

£5.99 if we're being picky... ;)

Grrr...
  • mrpon 2 Jun 2010 13:43:35 28,427 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You've got issues with numbers haven't you Kingy! ;)

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• THFourteen 2 Jun 2010 13:46:27 32,857 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BTW was there any conclusion as to whether the Apple apps can deal with MS Office files? I would like something for work but i need Word Doc access basiclee
  • KingOfSpain 2 Jun 2010 13:46:39 5,187 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    You've got issues with numbers haven't you Kingy! ;)

Oi, watch it you!!

;)
  • Jeepers 2 Jun 2010 14:17:52 13,173 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've been playing with Layers Pro recently and I'm coming to like it more and more. In fact, I'd say it's a better app than Sketchbook Pro, with a UI that's seems more intuitive and a vastly better way of handling transparency. Worth a look if you like doodling.
  • yegon 2 Jun 2010 14:26:54 5,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    After having a little go on that Harmony website Id love to get one of these doodling apps, but being absolutely devoid of artistic talent and creativity it'd be a complete waste of money :(

Everything I draw ends up as a house resembling a Trinitron, or a Mr Potato style face, pfft!
  • Jackface 2 Jun 2010 14:27:16 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can you tell a bit more about what Sketchbook does that Layers doesn't and vice versa? Was considering getting Sketchbook to play with as it seemed the fullest featured.
  • Jeepers 2 Jun 2010 14:39:06 13,173 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sketchbook is a nice app, and both share the most important features: layers, transparency, textured brushes and so on. Sketchbook allows for variable width brushes (so a stroke will from thick to thin as you draw) which Layers doesn't.

They're so similar in fact that I think your preference will boil down to which UI you prefer - and for me, Layers edges it. It all seems a little more logical to me.

Another possibly significant issue is how they both treat transparency: say you set your brush to 20% opacity and then scribbled on the screen. Sketchbook would eventually build up to 100% opacity as you scribbled. Layers on the other hand would only ever get to 20% opacity. That's really badly explained but I much prefer the latter method.

Both are very nice little apps tho.
  • DrDamn 2 Jun 2010 17:09:52 1,215 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ArtStudio is another cheap alternative too.
  • boo 3 Jun 2010 09:54:00 11,703 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So who's got what so far? At the moment, all I've downloaded are:

iBooks
    Amazon Kindle
    Guardian Eyewitness

I quite fancy a game, but not some fancy, whizzy-graphic-overload like Mirror's Edge. Just something simple. PvZ would be good, if I hadn't played it to death already.
    Maybe even simpler than that, in the Tetris vein.

Any suggestions?

Just Another Lego Blog

• DrDamn 3 Jun 2010 10:12:05 1,215 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PuzzleManiak HD is good value for a set of simple mind puzzle games. 20 odd types all in a single app. The extra size of the iPad is used to bring more options to the games from the iPhone version.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2010 10:18:34
    What is the deal with the Kindle app, is it basically just the entire Amazon Kindle selection but available on the iPad?
  • boo 3 Jun 2010 10:26:07 11,703 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks like it. Obviously, if you sort the books by Price - Lowest to highest, you get presented with piles of free books.
    Otherwise, it looks like the regular Amazon bookstore, but all prices are in Dollars, so potentially a smidge cheaper than buying from iBooks.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Page

of 54 First / Last