iPad game/app review thread Page 3

• Page

of 54 First / Last

• Jackface 31 May 2010 11:24:31 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I gotta say i find the current trend for ipad versions of pretty old games a bit disappointing. I want new, original games! Im sure they're coming though.
  • boo 31 May 2010 21:18:05 11,706 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just downloaded the Guardian Eyewitness app. It's free, has an updated selection of incredible pictures from around the globe, and includes 'Pro photographer tips' on each image.

Images can also be saved, emailed etc.

Just Another Lego Blog

• HoriZon 1 Jun 2010 00:13:24 13,498 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hope the better apps start to appear soon i dont want to use iPhone version to long and i deffo dont want to buy HD ipad versions of games i already have.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• mrpon 1 Jun 2010 00:26:37 28,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has anyone come across any existing iPhone apps that have upgraded iPad graphics within the same app?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Jackface 1 Jun 2010 00:53:17 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah loads, they're calling them Universal apps. Look for apps with a + sign in the app store. On my iPad i have Dropbox, Crosswords, Google Mobile, Strategery, Touchpad, Chambers Dictionary, Air Video...
  • mrpon 1 Jun 2010 00:55:36 28,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right. So effectively there are three types of iPad app then? Non-uni, uni and iPad only?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Jackface 1 Jun 2010 00:59:05 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, all iphone apps work on iPad, some have proper graphics, most have original iPhone graphics. But yeah you pretty much have it, and in your iTunes app library they're categorized exactly like that - iPhone, iPhone & iPad, iPad.
  • Deleted user 1 June 2010 04:37:37
    Would be interested to know if anyone has tried any mind mapping apps on it? The iPad really would be ideal for them.
  • TipTop 1 Jun 2010 08:29:21 737 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Take a look at 'To Do' it's a very nice looking iPad version and worth a look. I am starting to see the iPad only apps starting to come good. Also take a look at Penultimate, Evernote and Legends. Also take a look at Eurosport to see how it shouldnt be done (free)

8/10. Better than ...

• Jackface 1 Jun 2010 08:42:51 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Would be interested to know if anyone has tried any mind mapping apps on it? The iPad really would be ideal for them.
    Sorry, what the helll is 'mind mapping'?
  • THFourteen 1 Jun 2010 08:46:46 32,872 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    prince of persia retro is pretty cool.

apart from being unable to control the little dude that is, but it looks nice and you can select your levels and its universal AND its only 59p
  • Dr-Strangelove 1 Jun 2010 09:10:30 2,130 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So what is everybodys favourite comic book/file reader?

I've yet to take the plunge and buy one so have been using the free Cloudreaders. It supports PDF, CBZ, ZIP, CBR and RAR format. It's pretty basic and frill free but I like the simplicity.

The Marvel App is nice, but I'm not going to buy any and they don't seem top post the most recent stuff so is rather pointless. The free comics are nice though and I particularly like the whole single frame view and the way it transitions, I wish that all comics could be read like this.
  • morriss 1 Jun 2010 09:12:17 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jackface wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Sorry, what the helll is 'mind mapping'?
    It's when you write down an idea, put a box around it, then draw a line to another box where another idea that is connected to the first is is written. Rinse, repeat.

It's used often to help people plan projects/essays etc.
  • monkeyspasm 1 Jun 2010 09:14:34 2,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Logmein Ignition is great on the iPad, much more usable with the extra space.

I'm also pleasantly surprised at how iPhone games look pixel doubled, I may get the HD versions of Real Racing and GT Racing but that's probably about it for now.

Unsure whether to get iWork - transferring files sounds like a right faff.

That's about all I can muster - I was up 'til 3 playing with my new toy, and was up for work at 6!

/yawn
  • Jackface 1 Jun 2010 09:44:44 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wouldn't bother with iWork until the point where you really need one of them - I certainly wouldn't buy all three but that's just my need.

In the meantime I'd just get Simplenote for free to type documents up and transfer them absolutely effortlessly to your desktop machines wirelessly, then copy/paste into a 'proper' word processor.
  • Jackface 1 Jun 2010 09:46:30 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dr Strangelove wrote:

I've yet to take the plunge and buy one so have been using the free Cloudreaders. It supports PDF, CBZ, ZIP, CBR and RAR format. It's pretty basic and frill free but I like the simplicity.

The Marvel App is nice, but I'm not going to buy any and they don't seem top post the most recent stuff so is rather pointless. The free comics are nice though and I particularly like the whole single frame view and the way it transitions, I wish that all comics could be read like this.
    Me too - won't be buying, I think. Free comics are nice though. One problem with the panel-focussing is that it crops them a lot of the time, especially any that are quite wide or tall.
  • Dr-Strangelove 1 Jun 2010 10:02:03 2,130 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Marvel app does the panel focusing really well tho, keeps the page spoiler free and sometimes shows a single panel in 3 transitions before showing you the whole pane. So it may crop but then it will still show you the whole pane in the end. Not sure about other comic reader apps tho.

But yeah, why do I want to pay for comics when I've got the entire Tintin, Asterix, 2000AD, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, League of Gentlemen etc collections in comic book reader format that I want to read.
  • Jackface 1 Jun 2010 10:07:23 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm just not sold on buying digital versions of comics. Only comics I get these days are The Walking Dead and I'm proud of my lovely-looking collection on the shelf in my front room. I don't think I want to forego that simply for the ease of use on the iPad.
  • monkeyspasm 1 Jun 2010 10:32:53 2,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I suspect the answer to this is 'lol, no chance', but can you import your own ebooks into the iBooks app? I've got tons and Stanza pixel doubled didn't look very good when I tried it yesterday.

iBooks is lovely though, I can actually see myself buying eBooks on this.
  • Jackface 1 Jun 2010 10:38:16 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If it's in the ePub format I believe the answer is 'yes'.
  • monkeyspasm 1 Jun 2010 11:10:25 2,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ooooooh, I can just convert to ePub if not, nice one, ta.
  • THFourteen 1 Jun 2010 11:13:35 32,872 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    a lot of the books i bought on fictionwise for stanza were drm'd and i couldnt work out how to easily remove the DRM to convert to ibooks.

so i've ditched stanza and started using the kindle app, which i think is amazing and i love the iphone-ipad position sync
  • morriss 1 Jun 2010 11:15:54 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone bought Mirror's Edge? Any good?
  • Jackface 1 Jun 2010 11:26:03 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    monkeyspasm wrote:
    What do you use for that, calibre?
  • Dr-Strangelove 1 Jun 2010 12:03:57 2,130 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monkeyspasm wrote:
    I suspect the answer to this is 'lol, no chance', but can you import your own ebooks into the iBooks app? I've got tons and Stanza pixel doubled didn't look very good when I tried it yesterday.

iBooks is lovely though, I can actually see myself buying eBooks on this.
    Yeah, I'm in the same camp with Stanza. Hope they release a new version...

You can drag and drop the books in to itunes to use in iBooks. They are then stored under the books section. You then select the books once you've connected the iPad. Shame it doesn't have a white text on black background option like stanza. that's lush for reading at night.

What about kindle? (this does have the reversed colours option...) Can you import your own books and how easy is it?
  • Jackface 1 Jun 2010 12:07:56 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dr Strangelove wrote:
    Shame it doesn't have a white text on black background option like stanza. that's lush for reading at night.
    You could always jump into Settings and invert the screen. It's a bodge, for now, but it might help you. Not sure what the effect would be like in iBooks.

EDIT: In fact, you can set this to a triple-click of the Home button meaning you can do it on the fly while in iBooks. It turns the paper black and the text white, although pictures will turn a funny colour. Like I say, bit of a bodge, but does the job for now.
  • Dr-Strangelove 1 Jun 2010 12:19:28 2,130 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks. Didn't see the invert option.

Gives a rather strange negative effect to the rest of the book (ie the edges) but will try it tonight.

Nice that you can set it to triple click the home button, very handy.
  • yegon 1 Jun 2010 12:20:04 5,169 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dr Strangelove wrote:

I've been using Comic Zeal 4. In the context of apps world, not exactly cheap at 4.99, but it does a great job if you want to put your own collection on the iPad. Only syncs via wifi with it's own desktop prog though, Apple won't allow any usb malarkey, oh no.

Oh, and epubs in iBooks via Calibre work a treat.

Jackface wrote:

EDIT: In fact, you can set this to a triple-click of the Home button meaning you can do it on the fly while in iBooks. It turns the paper black and the text white, although pictures will turn a funny colour. Like I say, bit of a bodge, but does the job for now.

Ooh, great spot, cheers!
  • monkeyspasm 1 Jun 2010 12:23:24 2,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jackface wrote:
    monkeyspasm wrote:
    What do you use for that, calibre?

Yeah, just converted one. Can't try it 'til I'm home later, though.
  • Jackface 1 Jun 2010 12:23:46 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's in the Accessibility options, by the way :)
  • Page

of 54 First / Last