iPad game/app review thread Page 2

• Page

of 54 First / Last

• mrpon 28 May 2010 16:13:57 29,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not wanting to wade through pages and pages just find a few iPad reviews.

Yeah?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• morriss 28 May 2010 16:15:32 71,037 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pfft!
  • Dr-Strangelove 28 May 2010 18:04:32 2,131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jackface wrote:
    What else? I have my wish list but im just getting one thing at a time rig now, having a proper go on it.
    Thanks for the suggestions, and that's a good idea for getting the apps. I'll do that straight after I get some new apps for the new gadget splurge ;)
  • UncleLou Moderator 28 May 2010 18:30:35 35,606 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Change thread title to iPhone/Touch/iPad and then stipulate whether it's iPad only when you talk about a game/app.

What's the problem?

We should make one big "gaming" thread, for all platforms and games. Forum space is precious, after all.

Anyway, Labyrinth 2 is extremely cool on the iPad (Lite version). Very impressive, to the point where you think the pad rumbles due to the sound.
  • Dr-Strangelove 28 May 2010 23:15:00 2,131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Labryrinth 2 is rather good fun, Guardian eyewitness is excellent and crosswords, tho pricey, is superb.

Also, the supposedly excellent animated Alice book has a lite version to try, so you can see if it really is as distracting as it looked in the trailers.
  • Jackface 29 May 2010 10:04:55 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just want to add my voice to the 'Keep the threads separate' camp, too. There is some cross-over, sure, but iPad versions can be significantly different and there's going to be a lot of exclusivity too. Plus it's not necessarily true that iPhone owners are also iPad owners. We don't put Wii and DS games in the same thread, after all!
  • yegon 29 May 2010 10:18:30 5,301 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deffo warrants it's own thread.
  • byron_hinson 29 May 2010 11:25:36 1,512 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pinball Hd is excellent for those who enjoy that sort of thing. It looks great and works really well with the touch controls.
  • masterson 29 May 2010 11:35:20 180 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree a seperate thread is warranted.
    How about some more reviews then you jammy buggers? I don't get mine until next week so need something to fap over...
  • Jeepers 29 May 2010 12:20:20 13,181 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The BBC app (requires a US account annoyingly) is excellent. And Battle of Wesnoth works surprisingly well with a touch UI. It's a little rough around the edges but well worth checking out.

Elements is a lot less polished than I expected. The UI is fairly crummy on the whole. It's also a huge download.
  • Jackface 29 May 2010 13:10:57 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    The BBC app (requires a US account annoyingly) is excellent. And Battle of Wesnoth works surprisingly well with a touch UI. It's a little rough around the edges but well worth checking out.

Elements is a lot less polished than I expected. The UI is fairly crummy on the whole. It's also a huge download.
    Yeah I watched all the videos of Elements when it came out, with everyone ooohing and aaahing over it and I honestly wondered what the fuss was about. Fact is, I simply don't need an big list of all the elements with shiny pictures of them. At all. And it didn't look that flashy either, just a few spinning photos.

BBC app I can't say enough good stuff about, it is simply excellent. Can't understand why they're not allowed to offer it for free on the UK store.
  • Jackface 29 May 2010 13:12:25 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    byron_hinson wrote:
    Pinball Hd is excellent for those who enjoy that sort of thing. It looks great and works really well with the touch controls.
    Yeah I didn't really give it a proper go until this morning, it really is pretty good. I was a bit surprised that landscape mode is where you see the whole table, when surely that's better suited to the portrait mode. But anyway, it's really good fun! Love the tilting camera when you tilt the iPad (you need to turn it on in Settings).
  • Jackface 29 May 2010 13:13:12 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PvZ is predictably excellent. It's a real shame I've played the crap out of the game at least 3 times already - playing the game to unlock the extras has become a chore more than a pleasure :(
  • Deleted user 30 May 2010 01:50:25
    Phaidon design classics is pretty good for 12, especially when the print version is around 150 for the same content.
  • yegon 30 May 2010 10:26:23 5,301 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Guardian iPhone app is borked on the iPad - when you load it up, there's a half visible pane over the home page asking you to complete a survey. This can't be skipped or closed meaning you cant access the app :(

Dunno if I'd actually use it on the iPad, but still....
  • spindizzy 30 May 2010 10:42:15 6,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What weather app is everyone using (really strange that Apple removed that btw ...) I have Accuweather which seems a nice mixture of functionality and attractiveness.
  • Jeepers 30 May 2010 10:47:05 13,181 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The more I play Wesnoth, the more I like it. I'd tried it a few years back when it was a much rougher affair but it's looking (and playing) much better nowadays. The levelling of your soldiers between battles makes losing a unit that much more painful. Well worth a punt if you have any fondness for SRPGs.
  • Jeepers 30 May 2010 18:05:59 13,181 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FilterStorm has a terrible name but is a great image editor with a surprisingly high degree of control. Perfect for cropping and colour adjusting your photos. Worth a look.
  • askew 30 May 2010 19:11:08 12,326 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bought Resi 4 and MGS4 earlier. Bit disappointed with both.

Is Civ Rev any good? Fancy something to sink my fingers into ;)
  • Jackface 30 May 2010 21:12:43 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've tried to avoid all games that attempt to crowbar console controls onto a big touch screen. Geo Wars is the only twin-stick shooter type game I've gone for and it just about works except for the terribly placed bomb button. You have to either completely let go of the iPad with one hand to reach it with an index finger, or uncomfortably stab at it with an outstretched thumb until you hit it. In either case it takes too long. This is a twitch game!
    If only they'd played Meteor Blitz - it's got a great double-tap system for triggering secondary weapons.
  • Jackface 30 May 2010 21:13:38 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Bought Resi 4 and MGS4 earlier. Bit disappointed with both.

Is Civ Rev any good? Fancy something to sink my fingers into ;)
    Plants V Zombies? It's brilliant on the iPad. Warpgate isn't bad either. Civ Rev is exactly the same as the DS version, if you played that.
  • jonsaan 30 May 2010 21:30:41 25,353 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ooooh you gloating, evil swines. Rub it in why don't you.

/padless

FCUTA!

• jonsaan 30 May 2010 21:31:42 25,353 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DS version of CivRev is great. Did they res up the graphics though? It even looks a bit rough on the DSi XL let alone an ipad.

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 30 May 2010 21:43:37
    World of Goo would work perfectly on this. Get to it people!
  • Res 30 May 2010 21:55:53 1,814 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jackface wrote:
    I've tried to avoid all games that attempt to crowbar console controls onto a big touch screen. Geo Wars is the only twin-stick shooter type game I've gone for and it just about works except for the terribly placed bomb button. You have to either completely let go of the iPad with one hand to reach it with an index finger, or uncomfortably stab at it with an outstretched thumb until you hit it. In either case it takes too long.

Pilots back in the Geometry War used their nose to fire off bombs. It's an immersion technique, use your god damn nose.
  • Jackface 30 May 2010 22:56:27 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    DS version of CivRev is great. Did they res up the graphics though? It even looks a bit rough on the DSi XL let alone an ipad.
    I've not actually got it but i know its the same game as the iPhone version which i do have, and that's the same as the ds.

I have heard that the graphics have been dragged kicking and screaming up to a decentish res but that they are ropey as hell in the battle animation sections.
  • THFourteen 31 May 2010 09:01:11 33,623 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    The more I play Wesnoth, the more I like it. I'd tried it a few years back when it was a much rougher affair but it's looking (and playing) much better nowadays. The levelling of your soldiers between battles makes losing a unit that much more painful. Well worth a punt if you have any fondness for SRPGs.

Yep I think it's a fantastic port now, the ipads larger screen makes strategising so much easier!

Brothers in Arms 2 HD seems fun so far. Got a 3 hour journey home from Liverpool today which I am excited about, free wifi on virgin trains when you upgrade to first lass for only £5
  • UncleLou Moderator 31 May 2010 09:46:06 35,606 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Space Station Frontier HD is really neat, but I've only played the first few levels so far. On sale atm.
  • mrpon 31 May 2010 10:49:59 29,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    World of Goo would work perfectly on this. Get to it people!

Indeedy! I'd also love an official original Lemmings game, complete with Amiga soundtrack!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 54 First / Last