iPad game/app review thread Page 54

• Page

of 54 First / Last

Next
  • elephantjuice 18 Jul 2013 13:09:01 780 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm a bit late to the party but Minigore 2 really is excellent.
  • TarickStonefire 19 Jul 2013 16:06:36 3,334 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Breach and Clear: played the tutorial and two stupidly easy levels in which several of my guys went down, and then I went to bed because it was late.

;)

Not bad. Seems like Frozen Synapse if Frozen Synapse was more soldiery and three dimensiony and not a complete fucking ballache to control...

Which is to say it's pretty good.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 19 Jul 2013 16:08:22 3,334 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I would like to say I agree with the content of the Warhammer Quest review to the letter (well, except the bit about how you don't know who can use the loot that's rewarded for a quest before you accept the quest because you can find that out easily but hey), but I think the score is a tad harsh if that's all you looked at. I'd have out 7.

But the text, read the text. It's fair.

• Deleted user 19 July 2013 17:33:14
    Quite enjoying Breach and Clear. Up the difficulty level and get through the easy first levels and its pretty good.

Would love to know how it compares to X-Com, I'm assuming its more simplistic ?
  • TarickStonefire 20 Jul 2013 10:19:31 3,334 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Much more simplistic - in Breach and Clear all you really do is drag a path out for your troops, tell them where to point their weapons while en route, and hit GO while hoping for the best.

In XCOM you control every movement and every shot fired (apart from reaction shots!). Much more involved.

There's a place for both, though!

Edited by TarickStonefire at 10:20:04 20-07-2013

• IJ 22 Jul 2013 13:18:21 843 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Posted in the XCOM thread as well but relevant here.

I picked this up on the App store recently. I've completed it on my xbox already but always wanted to play it a again on a harder setting and trying different tactics and I thought my tube journey to work could be perfect.

I'm surprised how well it works on my iPhone 5 considering the small screen, it's perfectly playable and runs very smoothly. It works fine on my ipad 2 as well, despite the age, I guess the non-retina screen helps. A few have moaned about the un-kippable startup video, but it is skipable, its hiding the loading of the game, once it's loaded you can skip it. They've removed a few of the cut scenes, like the autopsies which is a shame because I enjoyed those! I haven't built a place to store aliens yet so I don't know if they've also removed the interrogation videos, I suspect so. Other than that it is a direct port, the graphics are quite a bit worse but it doesn't distract from the great gameplay. One thing though, it EATS the battery! On a full charge I think you could get maybe 2 hours of playing the game out of it, it's brutal.

Slightly annoying is that if you enable ironman, cloud saving doesn't work. This does make sense as you could cheat by not updating the cloud and so you could play on with an old save, but if you're that determined to "cheat" then you're probably not going to use ironman anyway. So as i switch between my phone at work and ipad at home I can't use it.

I didn't think this would be well suited to the short 15 minute clips of play on the tube, but actually it works quite well given the turn-based nature of it. Well worth a purchase, even at the fairly high price.
  • THFourteen 22 Jul 2013 13:29:37 34,274 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Been playing a lot of KOTOR recently after picking it up for £3, about 5hours in now.

Must say its a great conversion. Works very well on my mini.

Walking around is fine, can get the ocassional niggle where you walk into stuff, but apart from that, controls are ace.
  • PrivateFloyd 1 Aug 2013 18:43:23 4,187 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    XCOM is 25% at £10.49 at the mo. was hoping for a juicier price cut than that but I may jump at that price.

Goat is hungry.....

• TarickStonefire 2 Aug 2013 13:16:06 3,334 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I just know I still won't play it longer than an hour tops. Never do with iOS games.

• THFourteen 2 Aug 2013 13:32:25 34,274 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    XCOM is 25% at £10.49 at the mo. was hoping for a juicier price cut than that but I may jump at that price.
    Nooooo....

Must be strong
  • IJ 2 Aug 2013 13:42:48 843 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Nooooo....

Must be strong
    It works brilliantly on iOS. I'm halfway through my first game on iOS and i've played 90% on my iphone on the tube to and from work in 20minute clips and it's still brilliant. Get it, get it, get it. It's worth the money! Each game is 25 hours of entertainment!
  • THFourteen 3 Aug 2013 10:55:25 34,274 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dunno, just read some of the reviews on the AppStore for the update, and it seems the crashing is even worse than before.

I might just continue with KOTOR and wait until Xmas.
  • HoriZon 4 Aug 2013 08:16:54 13,593 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Never once had a crash on XCOM with over 30 hours of play on my iPad 3 with about 5 gig free space on it.

Edited by HoriZon at 08:18:02 04-08-2013

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• spamdangled 8 Aug 2013 22:40:04 27,426 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok, so as sifting through the various game genres on the app store results in endless amounts of tat before you find anything (it really is annoying how they lump games into genres they don't fit into):

I'm after some decent strategy games, RPGs and point+click games. some metroidvania-types would be nice too, if any exist.

Note: I already have Risk and a wodge of board game translations, the broken swords, monkey islands, warhamer, x-com, frozen synapse, civ, and quite a few others. Looking for stuff I may have missed.

Recommendations would be most welcome.

Also, if they're optimised for the retina display with pretty graphics, all the better :)

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• HoriZon 15 Aug 2013 08:44:04 13,593 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Plants vs. Zombes 2: It's About Time is now up on the the App Store and its FREE well it has lots of in-app purchasing.

Cant figure out if it has cloud saves though ? as would love to play it on the iPad but swap to iPhone when out at work and such :)

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• yegon 15 Aug 2013 11:43:03 5,398 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @HoriZon

From what little I've read, I believe if you connect it to a FB account it syncs saves via Popcaps own cloud, not iCloud :( (edit: iCloud works fine now). I ditched FB long ago so it's an iPad only game for me.

EA hates people like me, I'll likely not be giving them a single, solitary penny - certainly not for consumable, one use items, urgh. If they did a decent bundle deal for several plants I might consider it if it was cheap enough, and under what I may have paid for the whole package - I would have happily bunged them £6.99 for a full game purchase.

Played a few levels, its pretty good. It's not hard (yet) by any means, but its thankfully not as laughably easy as PvZ1 in that you have to be ever so slightly strategic. Seems to be doling out plant food fairly so far, dunno if this'll continue and I imagine the lack of plant food (which act like one use power ups) in later levels will be make it a lot harder to continue. The very idea of paying real world money for ingame coins though, har bloody har, I'd urge my loved ones to section me if I ever went down that route, christ.

EDIT: iCloud syncing is working fine now, huzzah.

Edited by yegon at 18:44:58 16-08-2013

Edited by yegon at 18:48:02 16-08-2013
  • THFourteen 22 Aug 2013 08:12:12 34,274 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Strange, there was a "Champ Man" game that came out a couple of weeks ago from Square Enix.

Wonder if its any good.
  • mrpon 29 Aug 2013 10:32:55 29,432 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Room has been updated with another chapter.

Give yourself £5 or Ĺ gig, you're worth it.

• repairmanjack 29 Aug 2013 11:48:30 6,071 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fairway Solitaire is stunning, and a steal for £1.99. There's even a very generous free version. It has some of the best presentation I've seen in an iOS game. Make sure you have the sound up, as there's hours of (mostly) amusing golf commentary with it.

I cannot believe I'm this absorbed by a solitaire game...
  • AnikaWeber 29 Aug 2013 13:07:04 2 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hi guys, I just installed the new Mahjong Worlds Galactic update!
    It is just awesome!!
    All of you guys can get all the comic themes in the game with their tile sets and unique levels at half of their price!
    There are two new goals for unlocking Australia and Australia tile set!
    I wanted more free stuff, and here they are!! Iím so happy!
    Cool, right!!
    http://goo.gl/9zSW8M
    [img src http://s2.postimg.org/9iduwe21l/MW_galaxy_390x200.jpg]
  • mcmothercruncher 6 Sep 2013 20:40:46 7,560 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow!
    You really do sound happy!!
    Brilliant!

Has anyone tried 2K Drive yet?
    I'm tempted... but at a premium price, am hovering...
  • Flying_Pig 6 Sep 2013 20:51:04 11,357 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is Transport Tycoon out yet?
  • Flying_Pig 12 Sep 2013 14:37:21 11,357 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can recommend Heroes of Loot.

£1.49 - RPG-Lite, action orientated, dungeon crawler.

Touch screen controls are surprisingly decent.
  • dancingrob 12 Sep 2013 15:01:06 1,189 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    for a freebie timewaster, I'm enjoying Football Chairman at the moment.

Very light football manager game where you hire / fire and buy players, but don't actually get involved in team selection etc.
  • jonsaan 14 Sep 2013 16:47:19 25,439 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Junk Jack X is a fabulously deep game in the mold of Terraria. Works brilliantly on pad or phone and the multiplayer is excellent too.

FCUTA!

• Page

of 54 First / Last

Next