iPad game/app review thread Page 52

• Page

of 54 First / Last

• Widge Moderator 18 Jun 2013 23:05:22 12,595 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm really going for it on KOTOR. Making a big go of it, just want to get off Taris!

FYI, I like the control method they used. Initially I would have gone for on screen twin sticks, but the one finger swipe seems to work really well.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• HoriZon 19 Jun 2013 20:00:24 13,461 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Touch Arcade of XCOM: Enemy Unknown' Review

Looks good to me my 15 quid is ready!

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• THFourteen 20 Jun 2013 08:10:29 31,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lots of people on the TA forums saying the frame rate is terrible, and its crashy.
  • HoriZon 20 Jun 2013 08:38:55 13,461 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah read those too might hold off for now i'm on an ipad3.

Edited by HoriZon at 08:39:12 20-06-2013

• StarchildHypocrethes 20 Jun 2013 09:05:25 24,558 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't see it on the store anyway.
  • Deleted user 20 June 2013 09:12:36
    Anyone tried Xoom on an iPad 2 .

Fancy getting it, but the description recommends ipad4 minimum.

: (
  • HoriZon 20 Jun 2013 09:32:32 13,461 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I can't see it on the store anyway.
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/xcom-enemy-unknown/id639544885?mt=8

• TarickStonefire 20 Jun 2013 09:54:02 2,611 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LOL at the Touch Arcade 'review' for XCOM which is 8 paragraphs of how great the PC/console version was, and one paragraph of iOS-specific content which says that "the more I play, the more I notice some low res textures and glitching" and leaves it as that.

Then it turns out that they've been blackballed by 2K and not allowed a review copy, so they had to buy their own from NZ and posted the review three hours later.

So it's fair to say their 'review' is little more than a pre-written 'hands-on first impression'. Head to their forum to find out the truth about how well the port runs on various devices, something TA didn't lift a finger to research.

Ridiculous!

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 20 Jun 2013 09:55:16 2,611 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    Touch Arcade of XCOM: Enemy Unknown' Review

Looks good to me my 15 quid is ready!
    That's not a review, there's just one paragraph of iOS-specific content, and even that is vague and barely worth reading.

• Deleted user 20 June 2013 09:57:57
    I'll wait for EG to do an iPad review, in that case.

I'd take a gamble if it was a fiver, but premium price requires commitment before buying !
  • TarickStonefire 20 Jun 2013 10:00:20 2,611 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    bdaggers wrote:
    I'll wait for EG to do an iPad review, in that case.

I'd take a gamble if it was a fiver, but premium price requires commitment before buying !
    Yeah me too, no way I'm dropping 15 on something that it may very well turn out is a sorely-won 'achievement' of porting technique.

ie, it may well be XCOM but if it's a blurry, stuttery, crashy mess it may as well be Real Racing 3.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 10:00:39 20-06-2013

• THFourteen 20 Jun 2013 10:01:50 31,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep i'm waiting too. I don't have time to play it now anyway. Plus I already bought the PC version so its not like I haven't supported the devs already.

Having said that I've just read another comment on TA saying it runs fine on a mini, so might be a number of different views going on.
  • TarickStonefire 20 Jun 2013 10:11:46 2,611 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The thing is that everyone's tolerances are different. It's like reading Trip Advisor reviews, you might find a few for a hotel you like the look of that give it 1 or 2 stars but check out why and it's because there wasn't a maid coming to turn down their bed every single day at 5pm, or because the hot water in the shower got really really hot if you turned it all the way, which steamed up the mirror, and they expect heated mirrors in hotels like this.

So, utterly ridiculous subjective reasons, then ;)

TA forums, like most on the net, have their fair share of utter tools who cheerfully write off entire games because they can count the pixels in a character model, or the shading isn't exactly the same as that on their monster PC gaming rig, or it doesn't play the Action Cam every time (which actually it doesn't do in the PC version either) or it stutters when there's 5 enemies and your entire team on the screen simultaneously, or it crashes every time a cut-scene plays.

Only one of those would annoy me...

So it's impossible to tell, which is why it would have been nice if the internet's leading iOS games review site would have taken the time to actually try this expensive AAA game on every iDevice they could get their hands on before posting their pathetic 'review', which is actually just a glorified affiliate link.

• speedofthepuma 20 Jun 2013 12:38:52 13,246 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I've bought xcom. Can't really comment on how good it is because it currently crashes at the end of the tutorial every time. Seems I'm not alone, there is a review on the store saying the same.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• IJ 20 Jun 2013 12:39:44 741 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How well does it work on an iPhone 5 given the small screen size? Is it playable?
  • THFourteen 20 Jun 2013 13:01:09 31,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    So I've bought xcom. Can't really comment on how good it is because it currently crashes at the end of the tutorial every time. Seems I'm not alone, there is a review on the store saying the same.
    Kind of shitty, but have you tried after a full restart of your device?
  • repairmanjack 20 Jun 2013 13:20:30 5,954 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    I'm really going for it on KOTOR. Making a big go of it, just want to get off Taris!

FYI, I like the control method they used. Initially I would have gone for on screen twin sticks, but the one finger swipe seems to work really well.
    I'm really tempted to try this. I have vague memories of not quite getting it on the original Xbox, but I only tried it for a day or two. Always felt like I missed something and should give it another go. I'm hearing very mixed things about the controls though.
  • speedofthepuma 20 Jun 2013 13:20:35 13,246 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not yet, I will next.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• Deleted user 20 June 2013 14:18:25
    /continues to avoid buyers remorse

/is broke anyway

/convenient
  • Widge Moderator 20 Jun 2013 16:19:10 12,595 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Widge wrote:

I'm really tempted to try this. I have vague memories of not quite getting it on the original Xbox, but I only tried it for a day or two. Always felt like I missed something and should give it another go. I'm hearing very mixed things about the controls though.
    Controls are fine. Finding attacking ok now, and walking about is fine.

I'm off the opening planet so hoping that the game is going to open up a bit and become more interesting. Remember that sentiment from the first time I tried to play this!

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• HoriZon 20 Jun 2013 18:56:33 13,461 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah well will see how XCOM goes just bought it and it's downloading now.

• Deleted user 20 June 2013 19:12:02
    HoriZon wrote:
    Ah well will see how XCOM goes just bought it and it's downloading now.
    What version of iPad are you rocking, young HoriZon-me-lad ?
  • HoriZon 20 Jun 2013 19:13:12 13,461 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    iPad3 so we will see.

• HoriZon 21 Jun 2013 00:49:23 13,461 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played it for the last hour no problems as yet the tutorial was fine no lock ups, frame rate runs fine as well. Have read its best to download to iTunes first then add it to the iPad and the turn it off and back on before playing so did all that. iCloud saves work fine also. One thing I don't like is the lack of shadows and your troops lips don't move small niggles I know but still. Customised my troops with funky hair and called my main man Simon Says lol. As for how it plays on the iPad I find it great really easy to control everything.

So far so good :)

• TarickStonefire 21 Jun 2013 13:13:10 2,611 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I just know I wouldn't play it. When I'm playing a game on my iPad I have the attention span of a gnat, and after about two days I lose interest in virtually evey game I ever bought for it no matter how much it cost, so it would be a massive waste of cash.

Great to see a premium game on there though. I just hope enough people buy it to make enough money to encourage further premium games.

• TarickStonefire 21 Jun 2013 13:15:19 2,611 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Widge wrote:

Controls are fine. Finding attacking ok now, and walking about is fine.

I'm off the opening planet so hoping that the game is going to open up a bit and become more interesting. Remember that sentiment from the first time I tried to play this!
    My memories of KOTOR were that it was never *that* interesting, and the 'Light or Dark' force stuff was a bit of a letdown, but it was a) an RPG set in Star Wars, which I loved, and b) a Star Wars game that wasn't really shit, the first time since XWING as far as I was concerned. So I enjoyed the game but it never was spectacularly interesting or exciting.

• M83J01P97 25 Jun 2013 13:26:13 6,385 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Magic 2014 came out today.

Doesn't seem to be much of a change from 2013 sadly, not given the new Sealed Deck mode a go yet though, which is apparently a faithful recreation of real life tournaments.
  • THFourteen 25 Jun 2013 15:27:31 31,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Downloading it now on my super slow internet connection at work seeing as I have a not-work at home :-(
  • HoriZon 25 Jun 2013 17:52:19 13,461 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played hours of XCOM now and no problems at all.

• sirtacos 25 Jun 2013 18:32:08 7,205 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm amazed that they managed to squeeze XCOM onto the iPad. It runs like a charm, it looks pretty damn good, considering the platform it's running on... It's XCOM, on a fucking iPad, FFS!
    First KotOR. Now this!
    (I'm easily impressed. But still. It's black magic I tells ya.)

Edited by sirtacos at 18:33:56 25-06-2013
  • Page

of 54 First / Last