iPad game/app review thread Page 49

• Page

of 54 First / Last

• Blaizefm 17 Feb 2013 21:48:05 232 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher that review is pretty damning. I hate the Freemium model with a passion.
  • Jeepers 18 Feb 2013 15:15:59 13,181 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pixel village looks pretty but a game breaking, reproducible bug in the tutorial (!) means "Don't buy".
  • THFourteen 18 Feb 2013 15:54:53 33,439 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    It seems Real Racing 3 has had a soft launch (in hobbit land and insta-death-spider-in-the-toilet land, amongst others).
    It also seems it's absolutely stunning in terms of the visuals and the audio.

However, they've fucking fully swallowed the freemium pill and just about every aspect of the game requires in game gold... which equals real life cash. Including repairing your car after races :eek:

This review claims you'll need about $20 to play for 6 hours.

As far as I'm concerned, they can fuck right off.
    suits me, i'll download it, play it a few times and then never touch it again.

pretty much like real racing 1 and 2, although they got about 10 out of me for those two, and now they are getting nothing.
  • mcmothercruncher 18 Feb 2013 18:27:54 7,077 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, you "win" then, I'd rather not contribute to the download stats of a company that consider that shite acceptable myself, but more power to ya.
  • Moot_Point 18 Feb 2013 18:53:56 4,106 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lords of Midnight - 1.49

Edited by Moot_Point at 18:54:17 18-02-2013

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Widge Moderator 26 Feb 2013 07:01:32 13,593 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Native Instruments' Traktor is out now. 13.99 and is pretty bloody decent!

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Widge Moderator 28 Feb 2013 12:19:48 13,593 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In depth:

It is a very well crafted Traktor experience.

You are running two decks here and the tunes library plucks from whatever is on your pad (so setting up smart playlists, rating tunes, getting those genres set up in your tagging will go great guns to improving your workflow).

Main screen has the two Traktor waveforms (although these are the standard looking Traktor waveforms, and not the nifty x-ray or infrared ones you can get, that indicate different types of frequencies within the wavesforms) running across them. There are sync buttons (although I noted no pitchshift so unsure of the benefit of not having these), context buttons for loops, EQ, freezing (unique to iPad), FX, crossfading and some navigation buttons.

Swipe up from the bottom, or click the music button, and you have your library. You can quickly filter by playlists, genres and all sorts of other parameters to get your tunes out. It will also suggest other tunes that might work in that scenario. From here, you can load to deck A or B (no four deck or 2.5 FX/Sample banks here). When you load up, the library should start analysing for beat gridding... this is the thing that will keep your tracks in time.

Once there, just click play to play!

When it comes to the next track, load it in and you are ready to go. I seem to have an issue with kicking the track off where I need to add in a hot cue on the first beat. I can't just line up the waveform marker and kick off from there. I think this may be as intended though. Sometimes my Sync button goes to red (it has green/red/grey(off) - so I am noooot too sure if I am getting something wrong here.

Second issue. Previewing tracks. You have two types of audio output: standard & split. I am assuming that split is if you want to split audio to play music over a system. The music is bounced down to mono (which often happens in clubs anyway) and one channel goes to one ear, and one to live output... in theory letting you cue stuff without actually impacting on what you hear live. The weird thing is I don't seem to be able to control what cue I have in the standard mode. I should have the ability to switch between the master and the cue at will. I certainly can on full fledged Traktor. I'm sure I shall figure this out.

Outside of this, manipulating loops is incredibly intuitive on the touch screen. You can set a default loop size, throw one in, move it around, resize it. Then comes Freeze. With Freeze, the track is split into chunks, and you can start triggering these chunks, chopping up tracks to your hearts content, getting interesting with beat splicing.

EQ, basic effects are all well done and the usual bugbear of using a touchscreen to interact doesn't really manifest. Everything works quickly and slicky. You just do. The only bugbear is that the EQ sliders can be a bit twitchy when you are trying to be precise.

Everything is hugely intuitive on the touch screen, the interface is incredibly well done... and I say this as someone who has gone through a few DJ programs like the terrible dJay right up to the slightly better Traktor-likes out there. Recording, exporting, sharing is all done in app.

Well worth it.

In other news: I forked out 35 for Cubasis but will write that up another time.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• fletch7100 3 May 2013 20:09:42 7,319 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Star command is now in the iPad App Store
  • THFourteen 3 May 2013 21:03:12 33,439 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks a bit mini game tastic for me
  • TarickStonefire 4 May 2013 08:52:13 3,107 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I tried it, it's rubbish. Probably because I've played FTL, and Star Command seems to have looked at all the good design decisions that went into it and rejected them all just to be a bit different.

- painful 'tap circles at the right time' minigames to fire weapons, that are never explained in the tutorial

- can't pause the action to try and corral your men into the right areas whenever you're invaded (which happens almost every battle)

- your crew can't defend themselves unless you march them over to a weapons room to pull on a red jersey, then march them back to the action, then march them back to the job they were supposed to be doing. And they move slooowly.

- same story for fixing the ship - only people in the right coloured jersey can do this, and if you take them out of the room they're in, the room stops working properly, so you need to move troops around, slowly, each and every time you need to make a fix. Did I mention they all move really slowly? They're really slow. You can buy upgrades to make them a bit faster, but it shouldn't be this dumb to begin with.

- many essential rooms that you purchase require ammo to be used, and you have to manually command crew in that room to produce a piece of ammo, and once it's spent you have to command them to produce another piece of ammo. It's not automatic, and you will forget, and it's produced *extremely* slowly. So much of this game is sloooow. Furthermore, the rooms that require ammo and the rooms that don't are not logically chosen, making me suspicious that the rooms that do require it only do so as an arbitrary attempt to make the game more challenging. For example, most weapon rooms don't require a piece of ammo, but an 'attack dodge' room does. And the 'shield boost' room does. Weird.

- your ship can't actually be destroyed. For realz. Even when it's entirely ablaze and covered in hull breaches, *it will not blow up*, meaning if you herd all your crew into a weapons room at the start of every battle, you can leave your ship to be shot to bits, safe in the knowledge that invaders will be sucked out of the hull breaches or blasted if they're stupid enough to enter your mobbed weapons room. (So how do you lose the game? If your captain or your Precious Cargo dies.)

- selecting crew is extremely fiddly, and more often than not you'll select something else you didn't mean to select. With no pause function, every second counts, and you'll waste a lot of them trying to select the right person, then the right destination.

- it crashes. And there's nasty slowdown in later missions (which are basically just glorified setups for yet another battle, that you have to keep clicking through even though you know exactly what's in store, just skip to the battle please).

- despite the story-based structure (as opposed to FTL's randomised structure), there is zero variation in missions. All them are just battles. That's it.

I found it frustrating, tedious, and quite stupidly designed a lot of the time to make the game unnecessarily tricksy and therefore hard to enjoy. After my first game ended, I had no desire to play again, and every desire to play FTL instead. Still, it does look lovely.

And TouchArcade LOVED it. Of course they did.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 09:48:51 04-05-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• lucky_jim 4 May 2013 09:29:53 5,298 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @TarickStonefire
    Cheers for that, you've just saved me two quid. I'll stick to FTL; I was hoping Star Command would basically be a shameless rip-off, but I think all the problems you've listed would really annoy me too.

Anyone know if there are there any plans for an official iOS port of FTL?
  • TarickStonefire 4 May 2013 09:35:41 3,107 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They've said it's on a list of things they'd like to look into. Which doesn't sound too concrete...

But having seen how fiddly and annoying it is to select characters in Star Command, I imagine the FTL guys would have a fair bit of work to do to port the game properly. Mind you, at least in FTL you can pause while you queue up a load of stuff it would be easy to bark down an intercom in a few seconds. ;)

• HoriZon 4 May 2013 13:41:47 13,546 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    When is the XCOM game out on iOS?

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• TarickStonefire 4 May 2013 15:18:32 3,107 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This year...? I think/hope.

Summer according to various Google results.

• Widge Moderator 16 May 2013 12:48:13 13,593 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mentioned in the iPhone thread where it should probably be here:

... should both be about now.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• TOOTR 21 May 2013 11:20:05 9,567 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Battle of the Bulge reduced today. From $9.99 to $6.99.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battle-of-the-bulge/

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• TarickStonefire 21 May 2013 11:26:10 3,107 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If someone (me) is rubbish at RTS and TBS games but loves XCOM for some reason, is there anything on the App Store that might tickle my fancy other than Hunters Ep 1 (tried it, didn't like it, horrible graphics too), Tactical Soldier Undead Rising (tried it, far too fiddly controls, especially giving items to other soldiers, oh my god its clunky) or Hunters 2 (waiting for their monthly price-drop)?

I looked at Battle of the Bulge too as it has glowing reviews and apparently plenty of depth, but it's a TBS so I'll probably hate it because I'll be rubbish at it.

• fletch7100 22 May 2013 10:50:34 7,319 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rumours out that a "critically acclaimed Star Wars RPG "hopefully KOTOR is coming out for IPad

Edited by fletch7100 at 10:51:37 22-05-2013
  • TarickStonefire 22 May 2013 13:36:47 3,107 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted

• Widge Moderator 23 May 2013 13:34:26 13,593 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    Rumours out that a "critically acclaimed Star Wars RPG "hopefully KOTOR is coming out for IPad
    I'd attempt to put aside my "I CANNOT STAND KOTOR" preconceptions aside for another attempt at that.

Hoping that my time with Dragon Age and Mass Effect has made me more amiable to Bioware stuff.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Widge Moderator 23 May 2013 13:34:56 13,593 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TarickStonefire Try that Warhammer game that is mentioned on the front page!

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• ecureuil 23 May 2013 14:01:05 76,814 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    fletch7100 wrote:
    I'd attempt to put aside my "I CANNOT STAND KOTOR" preconceptions aside for another attempt at that.
    You.. don't like KOTOR? What?
  • TarickStonefire 23 May 2013 14:50:17 3,107 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Also, what other acclaimed SW RPG has there ever been? KOTOR2 maybe? Didn't play it, was it any good?

Probably will be KOTOR as it's on the Mac App Store.

• Widge Moderator 23 May 2013 15:15:49 13,593 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Widge wrote:
    fletch7100 wrote:
    You.. don't like KOTOR? What?
    I really didn't get on with it. I didn't like the combat engine and I find Bioware's dialogue absolutely mind numbing at the best of times. The choice of responses of po-faced lightside and teenage twat darkside didn't help, meaning I always went in the middle ground.

However, I could have been playing the game poorly, so choosing to give it another chance.

Nothing will change the dialogue though. It took until the second half of Mass Effect for it to become intriguing, and they really seemed to get it for the sequels.

Stuff like Dragon Age is still diabolical. I end up sitting through endless NPC exposition, that is really dull, in the hope I don't miss some vital quest information.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• DaM 23 May 2013 15:35:27 13,225 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Think I liked it, but I got to the Wookie planet and stopped and never went back to it. Was it on Xbox? Mine got nicked, might explain that...
  • ecureuil 30 May 2013 12:55:50 76,814 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    Confirmed now.
  • TarickStonefire 30 May 2013 12:56:31 3,107 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Confirmed and reviewed by IGN. 14 apparently.

• THFourteen 30 May 2013 12:58:40 33,439 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    fletch7100 wrote:
    Confirmed now.
    By THFourteen
  • DaM 30 May 2013 13:07:55 13,225 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    fletch7100 wrote:
    Confirmed now.
    By THFourteen
    He's going to buy it and test for us ;)
  • THFourteen 30 May 2013 13:16:55 33,439 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you all contribute a small donation of 1 each i would be happy to oblige hehe
  • Page

of 54 First / Last