iPad game/app review thread Page 46

• Page

of 54 First / Last

• Moot_Point 7 Jan 2013 18:41:33 4,160 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Karateka - £0.69

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• M83J01P97 7 Jan 2013 20:33:54 6,664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So am I right in saying that Curiosity: What's in the Box? Is just one big ego-wank for Molyneux in order to keep him in the gaming news? Becuase I've played it for about 2 minutes and it appears to be devoid any kind of fun at all. 1/10
  • DaM 9 Jan 2013 22:00:18 13,264 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Joe Danger out tomorrow! Could be good...
  • binky Moderator 10 Jan 2013 16:45:04 9,671 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I wrote some words about Paper, which I really REALLY like.
    http://meyoucoffee.wordpress.com/2013/01/10/paper-thanks-fiftythree/
  • Fab4 10 Jan 2013 17:02:22 6,092 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    binky wrote:
    I wrote some words about Paper, which I really REALLY like.
    http://meyoucoffee.wordpress.com/2013/01/10/paper-thanks-fiftythree/
    You should check out Sketch Club.
  • mcmothercruncher 10 Jan 2013 17:52:16 7,094 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm considering a Sky Gamblers purchase... There seem to be three of them though and I'm struggling to work out in what order they've been released. Is it- Rise of Glory, Air Supremacy and then Storm Raiders as the latest? I'm more interested in the WW2 stuff, so is it worth starting with the oldest? The most expensive seems to have all sorts of Top Gun nonsense in it...
  • Moot_Point 10 Jan 2013 18:52:20 4,160 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher Supremacy looks like the first game. Not sure how they play though.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• THFourteen 12 Jan 2013 09:28:56 33,604 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The EDGE newsstand app has a free issue.

I'm surprised at how good it is, also for those arsenal fans the arsenal programme is also really good on ipad.

It's nice when they make an effort rather than just scanning PDF.
  • TarickStonefire 12 Jan 2013 11:23:33 3,128 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Blockheads is out, a freemium Minecraft clone. Developer says he thanks Minecraft for showing him it was possible to make the game he'd always wanted, but it seems like all he'd wanted to make was a stripped back 2D Minecraft clone.

It's not bad - it has the best control scheme of all the 2D Minecraft 'homages' out there (tap where you want to go, queue up multiple actions), no enemies whatsoever (which I like but makes it quite lonely), no complex crafting recipes, and a hateful freemium business model whereby when it's time to craft something you have to sit and watch a timer - a few seconds for something simple like a single torch, about 5 minutes for a stack of ingots or tools. Can't switch away to a different app (it pauses), and can only clear it with TIme Crystals, which are available in tiny quantities below ground but are of course available for sale.

It's a lovely game and it's perfectly *possible* to play it entirely for free but to play it properly you really need to put up about £5 straight away (£1.99 for a one-time purchase that permanently halves the number of crystals needed, and then £2.99 for 1200 crystals which should be enough to get you through a few real-time days of play - there's a 69p and £6.99 option too but the former is poor value and the latter is more than I'd spend on this game without freemium, let alone just to 'rent' it for a few days).

I enjoy playing when I have crystals but when I don't the crafting timer makes it a hateful experience. Thing is, Junk Jack costs about a fiver on the app store and doesn't have such restrictions - but then it also has a rubbish control scheme compared to this one.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 11:30:21 12-01-2013

Edited by TarickStonefire at 11:31:00 12-01-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 12 Jan 2013 11:27:13 3,128 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    So am I right in saying that Curiosity: What's in the Box? Is just one big ego-wank for Molyneux in order to keep him in the gaming news? Becuase I've played it for about 2 minutes and it appears to be devoid any kind of fun at all. 1/10
    No, not quite right. It's an experiment to see if they could pull off the technical stuff required to make the 'game' work the way it's supposed to, with everyone tapping away at the same time, and everyone else able to see the effects of the tapping, instantly. It's also an experiment in seeing if the world will even keep playing. You didn't, and so your input has been noted in the form of a stat that says 'started playing, lasted two minutes, never came back'.

Of course he likes press attention too, but it's a special kind of cynic that would seriously accuse him of putting his new company through the kind of merry hell that Curiosity brought them purely to see his name in headlines.

• RabidChild 14 Jan 2013 08:26:50 2,292 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm probably a bit late to this, but QatQi is fantastic.
  • TarickStonefire 14 Jan 2013 13:06:33 3,128 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I gave Joe Danger a go but... I dunno. It's not really the second coming of iOS gaming that all the website reviews made it out to be, more a very pretty cartoony-style 'motorcycle stunt/repeat each course until you collect the trio of awards' game, quite a few of them out there. Sort of like Trials without the trials, and stunts instead?

Mind you i never played/got hooked on the original, was it for consoles?

Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:09:01 14-01-2013

• PrivateFloyd 14 Jan 2013 22:37:31 4,142 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gasketball

Have not been this addicted to an ipad game in a loooooong time.

Hard to explain so here is a gameplay video

Getting through the stages with no misses is hard enough but to get 4 stars you need to "swish" one of the baskets in the stage.

Kotaku did a piece on it recently which made me take the plunge.

Goat is hungry.....

• PrivateFloyd 14 Jan 2013 22:38:43 4,142 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    just realised the above post has a whiff of planet.

Its not.

Goat is hungry.....

• mcmothercruncher 16 Jan 2013 20:50:04 7,094 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A few quickies
    Pumped BMX- Nice premise and nice slick graphics but just feels ever so slightly unfinished. Fantastic tricks but somewhat hit and miss "pump" mechanics (no sniggering at the back) make the whole thing feel a bit alpha. Amazing effort for a one man band though- worth it for 69p, not good enough for the 1.99 purchase price overall.

Mikey Shorts- Super fast and slick gameplay make this an uber just-one-more-go game. It's not deep but there's a lot of content and for quick gaming blasts it's very satisfying to dip in and out of a couple of levels trying to shave a second or two off of your times.

True Skate- As an ex skateboarder I was really excited about this. Looks fab and there's loads of complexity in there but I'm not quite sure the finger flick/shove play mechanic works. Probably need to play more before I officially chuck it in the nearly but not quite bin.

VS Racing 2- Wanted to love this a lot more than I do. Neat top-down graphics, loads of tracks but there is a fundamental floor In the steering mechanic for me whereby I have to be super precise about the circular motions my thumb makes or else the steering will suddenly flip in the wrong direction. One too many of these input errors have really taken the shine off of it for me.

Considering a Real Racing 2 purchase- does anyone rate it?
    I'm more of a Gran Turismo style fan than anything else- is this as close as I'll get on the iPad?
    P.s. I cannot believe the price of the Apple AV cable (which you can use with RR2) - even by their standards it is INSANE for a cable that costs them a few cents to make in China. Scalping bastards!
  • mcmothercruncher 18 Jan 2013 16:04:27 7,094 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can thoroughly recommend "Bike Baron" on the ipad. It sits somewhere in between Joe Danger and Trials HD, leaning over to the cartoon side a touch more.
    I've tried a shit load of bike/stunt based games over the last week and this is the best I've found due to a really solid game engine and snappy controls. The courses start off easy and get increasingly fiendish and, eventually, ludicrously loopy and you tackle them in two ways. First, you'll want to figure out how to collect all of the stars and second, you'll want to nail the fastest time possible. Very just-one-more-go. Demo on the app store, purchase price very reasonable for the number of tracks.
  • mcmothercruncher 18 Jan 2013 16:19:48 7,094 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Real Racing 2 70% off today - £1.49.
  • spamdangled 18 Jan 2013 16:23:50 27,356 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Greed Corp is only 69p, which is an amazing steal.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• PrivateFloyd 19 Jan 2013 11:43:43 4,142 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have been playing this game all night and could not pry myself away from it.

Super super stuff and if you like RPG's with a puzzle twist in the slightest it is awesome.

Goat is hungry.....

• PrivateFloyd 19 Jan 2013 14:09:23 4,142 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    iPad gaming has had a bit of a resurgence for me of late, not sure whether it is attributed to the iPad mini or not (it certainly is much more suited as a gaming device than the heftier iPad.

Either way, some mini reviews for y'all;

Gasketball

For the OCD among us this game could prove your downfall, won't go into much detail because if you scroll up the page a little you will see some thoughts. It is BASTARD hard on the later stages but due to the compact nature of the stages you can lose yourself for awhile (or in my case until 3am when I thought it was barely past midnight). One of my ipad gaming highlights this one.

10/10

GTA VIce City

Not much to say about this one, its GTA vice city on the iPad which is pretty impressive. What isnt impressive is the god awful control scheme no matter which way you set it. It really does ruin the gameplay experience and turns it into a chore rather than something you should savour.

I persevered and tried time after time but unfortunately it has since being deleted.

5/10 purely due to the controls. Others views may vary.

Joe Danger

The Joe Danger we all know and love with a touch twist. Set of 3 objectives per race, every manoeuvre mapped to a swipe or tap. Looks fantastic. Plays fantastic. BUT can get a little boring and is a trifle too easy, certainly catered for the casual/kid crowd. A good little romp nonetheless. It's £1.99. Compared to other iOS games I thinks its a little light on content but look its £2.

7/10 marked down due to how easy it is

Again, referenced this above a few posts up but this game is a true gem, again, its hard to explain so I provided a link above but I feel like I have already got my £1.50 off this bad boy and will certainly be gutted to finally get freedom and see it end.

11/10 (yes I love it that much)

Goat is hungry.....

• JayG 19 Jan 2013 14:26:11 847 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's a coincidence, been playing 10000000 a lot last couple of days meself as well. Read about it on Dubious Quality as the lad's pick of the year for last year, and gave it a shot. Very good. Bard's tale looks good as well.
  • TarickStonefire 19 Jan 2013 15:26:59 3,128 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    100000000 is brilliant isn't it? Once I started to work out the tactics of upgrading etc I really got into it, played it till I won, great game :D

Has anyone tried Koozic? It's not bad, free with 'coin' IAPs that buy boosts for in-game that I haven't felt the slightest need to buy (even though you earn pitiful numbers of coins in game). It's falling blocks with numbers on them and if you drop a block onto others so that they sum the 'magic number' at that point, they all disappear. Not bad once you get the hang of it.

• jonsaan 19 Jan 2013 15:53:58 25,353 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved ten million but sadly once complete it is dead to you as you can't really start over.

FCUTA!

• PrivateFloyd 19 Jan 2013 16:01:58 4,142 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    I loved ten million but sadly once complete it is dead to you as you can't really start over.
    But even though I havn't finished it I see precisely that as the appeal.

Its about attaining that goal of freedom. And for £1.49 admission I'm quite comfortable with the idea of not returning.

Goat is hungry.....

• JayG 19 Jan 2013 16:10:18 847 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have to agree. And I'm afraid to let the mrs try it, as she's a hell of a lot better then these type of games then I am. A game of Tetris can last her a hour.
  • JayG 21 Jan 2013 19:27:55 847 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm kinda tempted to pick up the Walking Dead on Ipad, just would like to know if there is many major differences then the other versions, or is it basically the same game. It's the kind of game I'd be far more likely to play in a portable fashion.
  • THFourteen 21 Jan 2013 19:51:38 33,604 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What ipad have you got? I've only played it for five minutes but the frame rate is a little shoddy on ipad mini.
  • JayG 21 Jan 2013 19:53:56 847 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The latest one, most games except Baldur's Gate seem to work fine. It was a X-Mas/Birthday (oh fuck u 40) present.
  • JayG 21 Jan 2013 21:23:42 847 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Took the plunge and picked it up. tenner seems ok for the full game, and heard so many good things about it. Ain't read the comic or seen the show though.
  • Page

of 54 First / Last